News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

Body found inside Columbia County home

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 2:23 PM
Last updated 7:44 PM

A Columbia County man was found dead inside his home Wednesday after a neighbor called authorities to do a welfare check on him.

The 49-year-old man, whose name is not being released pending the notification of his next of kin, was last seen alive on May 11, according to Columbia County Coroner Vernon Collins.

The man was found in “an advanced state of decomposition” inside his Belair Pines home off South Belair Road near Interstate 20, Collins said. There were no weapons found or other initial indications of suicide or foul play, he said.

An autopsy is scheduled for Thursday at the Georgia Bureau of Investigation Crime Lab in Atlanta.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/22/13 - 02:35 pm
To die alone, then being

To die alone, then being uncared about for as many as 11 days saddens me. I for one, am going to take a moment and reflect with gratitude on the people in my life who care about me. I know I'm making some assumptions here, but this is the way this article struck me.

resident
resident 05/22/13 - 02:53 pm
Sad to hear

I did not know this person but but is sad to hear. This long time without talking to anyone is the sad state of the way subdivisions are being made today. There is an association (nuisance due) but basically alot of them there is really no since of neighborhood in them. I walk my neighborhood and try to stop and say hello to people in my areas. This is a lost art...

LovelyOne
LovelyOne 05/22/13 - 03:09 pm
My heart hurts at the thought

My heart hurts at the thought that it took several days before this individual was found. Is there not a family member, friend, or even associate who communiates with this man on a regular basis? As a society and humans we sincerely need to do better with forming family and community based support systems. May God Bless!

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/22/13 - 03:12 pm
You wouldn't think a 47 year

You wouldn't think a 47 year old had medical problems. Relatives and neighbors would have no reason to think he had trouble.

David Parker
David Parker 05/22/13 - 03:27 pm
It's difficult to walk that

It's difficult to walk that fine line. Sometimes tall fences make the best neighbors. My personal philosophy is that since you have to live there and the neighbor does too, i'll go out of my way to be the neighbor that everyone wants to live by. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes I'm taken advantage of. Ultimately though, i love where I live and that would not be the case I suspect, if I didn't extend myself like that.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/22/13 - 04:43 pm
I would be one whose death

I would be one whose death went unnoticed (if I wasn't married). I kind of stick to myself and don't socialize with neighbors.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/22/13 - 07:13 pm
Kind of werids me out how a person

in this day and age can die and no one even 50 ft away notices any more?

Property tax jump OK'd

Augusta commissioners broke a seven-year trend Wednesday and agreed 7-0 to raise property taxes by 1.75 mills to cover a deficit and provide employees a small bonus.