Augusta Economy

More News | Fort Gordon | Plant Vogtle | Savannah River Site | Editor

Elliott Sons Funeral Home to close Telfair Street location

Elliott Sons Funeral Home is closing its Telfair Street location and consolidating its services at its two other locations.

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

“Because of a change in the business climate, we find it necessary to do that,” said Mark Jones, the company’s general manager.

The business has been a part of downtown Augusta since October 1896, when R.E. Elliott Sr. created his first undertaking establishment over his furniture store on Broad Street, according to the company’s Web site.

The funeral home soon moved to 11th and Ellis streets, where it continued to grow. After World War II, it moved to the Telfair Street site.

Jones said the closure on Telfair Street is effective May 31. The other two Elliott Sons Funeral Homes are on Lumpkin Road in Richmond County and on Columbia Road in Martinez.

soapy_725
soapy_725 05/21/13 - 05:14 pm
I spent many hours at Elliott's on Telfair with my dad....

as a small child. He was an insurance agent. A lot of family history revolves around that establishment. The first time I was up past 12 midnight was at a wake on Telfair. I remember the black gentleman, "coach/hearse driver", who was on the back porch for many years.

innorthaugusta
innorthaugusta 05/21/13 - 05:31 pm
I guess you can say business

I guess you can say business just "died" out.

Dixieman
Dixieman 05/21/13 - 05:53 pm
DIXIEMAN GOT NO DOWNTOWN POINTS

Another nail in the coffin (sorry, unintentional funeral pun!) of downtown A-U-G.

faithson
faithson 05/21/13 - 07:45 pm
remember the mummy

awsome stories about the guy that was mummified. even think he made some parades in the old days.

Georgialina
Georgialina 05/21/13 - 10:03 pm
faithson

His name was George and he was an employee of the Elliott's. He worked there for years when Herbert Sr. ran it. When he died he had no other family.

flcracker
flcracker 05/22/13 - 06:33 am
Elliott's funeral records

What this article doesn't tell you is that Elliott's is throwing away their funeral records-records that genealogists find very useful. Elliott's has been approached by a few historical entities in town about having the records saved for posterity, but Elliott's claims that their Legal Department says this can't be done. These people are dead! How does storing funeral home records for research harm anyone?

David Parker
David Parker 05/22/13 - 07:07 am
Your hipaa laws at work.

Your hipaa laws at work.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/22/13 - 09:39 am
That business on Telfair St.

That business on Telfair St. carried a lot of dead weight.

CricketSeranade
CricketSeranade 05/29/13 - 09:50 am
I saw 'George'

I remember back in the 70's he was still in a glass case and I saw him. If he worked for the funeral home, how did he get to be mummified? My mom told me that he was found underneath an old house. Doesn't really matter, I guess. I just wonder what they are going to do with him now?

More than 2,000 get meal at annual dinner

More than 800 volunteers served a hot meal to more than 2,000 homeless people at James Brown Arena on Saturday at the Bridge Ministry's annual Thanksgiving Dinner.