Deal orders Bibles back in state park lodges

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 7:41 AM
Last updated 10:29 PM

ATLANTA — Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal on Wednesday ordered the Department of Natural Resources to return Bibles that were removed from cabins and lodges at state parks after a guest complained about them.

In a statement Wednesday, Deal said the state isn’t violating any laws by having the Bibles in the cabins and lodge rooms because they weren’t paid for with state money and have been donated by outside groups.

The Bibles were removed after a guest expressed concerns. Department of Natural Resources management instructed staffers to remove the Bibles from the rooms while the issue was under investigation.

“Our commissioner took that as a pre-emptive effort to try to avoid litigation,” Deal said, adding that he consulted with the state attorney general before ordering the Bibles to be placed back in the cabins and lodges.

Deal says he does not believe Bibles being placed in bedside drawers is a state establishment of religion. The governor says any religious group is welcome to donate literature.

Representatives from the Wisconsin-based Freedom From Religion Foundation spoke out against Deal’s decision to return the Bibles.

In a statement, Elizabeth Cavell, the organization’s staff attorney, contended that guests could bring their own Bibles and that having them placed in the rooms alienates non-Christian park visitors.

Jake
Jake 05/15/13 - 02:18 pm
@ICL

Yes, I did. Pulled comments can make us all look foolish sometimes. Look at all the now empty responses that were made to GAD on this article.
I will do penance this evening after I uncork a Chardonnay.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/15/13 - 03:33 pm
The complainant ticks me

The complainant ticks me because I wager they did it out of spite rather than out of religious offense.

However, when I put the shoe on the other foot and think about how I would feel if there was a Koran in every drawer, I see the logic. Admittedly, I've never utilized the Bible in a lodging room, and probably would not even be aware there was a Koran, but the very idea is a bit unsettling.

I think I would have to lean to WBC's pov on this since it does have to do with the state sponsoring religion, even if they are only allowing the Gideons to place the Bibles there. As to Mennonites, Hudderites, and Luddites; I don't believe civil rights laws address their particular peculiarities.

myfather15
myfather15 05/15/13 - 04:05 pm
Why would it offend you if a Koran was there?

I'm so absolutely SICK to my core of people being offended at this and offended at that!! Grow up people!!!

The other day I went into an office building that had a book about evolution in the waiting lobby. Did I get offended? NO!!!!! I actually sat and read the darn thing just out of pure curiousity; as I've done many times with topics I disagree with.

If a simple book sitting in a drawer or on a table offends some, I sure would like to meet these "people" in real life; I would DEFINATELY offend and hurt their poor little feelings!! I assure you of that.

I just get so sick of hearing people whining and crying like little babies when they don't get their way. NO, I wouldn't complain or be "offended" if I walked into a building and a Koran is sitting there. You know what I would do? IGNORE IT!!! I would act like it isn't even there. How about that? How about growing up for a change and act like a mature adult? That sound like a decent plan?

BUT, the truth is; this has NOTHING to do with actually offending someone; it has EVERYTHING to do with continuing the assault on Christianity. Just like the push for gay marriage has nothing to do with equality and EVERYTHING to do with destroying the biblical institution of marriage. Masha Gesson openly admitted this at a gay marriage activist speech and the crowd CHEERED HER!! She even said the push for gay marriage "REQUIRES" that they LIE about the true agenda; because the TRUE agenda is to destroy the institution of marriage.

See, every now and then you will see a liberal come out and admit the TRUE agenda of the hard leftists. THEN, the leftists must start damage control and discredit the statement. Why? Because it isn't quite time yet to full disclose the agenda. The public isn't quite ready for it, but their getting VERY close.

myfather15
myfather15 05/15/13 - 04:11 pm
Trust me, they can feel it to

Trust me, they can feel it to their core. They are soooooo very close and it's so hard to contain yourself when you're so close to having what you desire so deeply. So they slip up from time to time and ACTUALLY SAY what they really want. They just blurt it out because it felt so good to say it. Then the other leftists realize it was too soon and start damage control.

Again; what they desire is NOT equality, it's to completely destroy Christianity!!

Jake
Jake 05/15/13 - 04:14 pm
Gideons

Whenever my family and I travel and stay in a place that has a Gideon Bible in the drawer I always do the same thing. I go to the Song of Solomon and put a dollar bill on the page that has the juiciest parts. Some really great poetry contained therein.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/15/13 - 04:28 pm
Yes Jake, Song of Solomon is

It's only great poetry if you understand the true meaning.

karradur
karradur 05/15/13 - 04:47 pm
Solomon 6:7

"Your temples behind your veil are like the halves of a pomegranate."

Haha, ewww.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/15/13 - 05:00 pm
karradur, do you find the

karradur, do you find the beautiful face of a woman funny or something to "ewww" about?

BamaMan
BamaMan 05/15/13 - 06:15 pm
Hooray!

The Bibles have been ordered replaced! They were donated Bibles, not owned or placed by the state!

GAD, O'Hare is in a place she did not believe in until she died. I can assure you she is wishing she had felt different now!

Jake
Jake 05/15/13 - 06:25 pm
True meaning

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/15/13 - 06:34 pm
Jake, I never said you didn't

Jake, I never said you didn't know the true meaning.

You said great poetry and I said It's only great poetry if you know the true meaning. Never indicated whether you knew the meaning or not. Kind of paranoid aren't you?

ColCo
ColCo 05/15/13 - 08:19 pm
Proper response

Instead of acting like Chicken Little, the commissioner of the Department of Natural Resources should have responded with, "so sue me...".

Young Fred
Young Fred 05/15/13 - 08:38 pm
Whenever I stay

in a motel with a Gideon's Bible, I always think of "Rocky Racoon" and can't get that dang song out of my head for at least a day or two.

I personally like having it on hand, always make a point to read a few random versus.

grouse
grouse 05/15/13 - 09:31 pm
I am waiting for copies of

I am waiting for copies of the Qu'ran to be distributed and to see happens then...It's inappropriate to have religious tract in a state-run facility.

Jake
Jake 05/15/13 - 09:41 pm
Paranoid?

When it comes to Bible reading, I am not paranoid. Who would be?
Your interpretation of the Book of Solomon and mine may not be the same. To say you have the "true meaning" is pompous at best. Please enlighten the rest of us as to the "true meaning" of the rest of the scriptures since you seem to be the "expert".

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/15/13 - 09:49 pm
Jake, please show me where I

Jake, please show me where I said I had the true meaning or that you don't..just like I stated at 6:34pm. As for being "pompous"...you're barking up the wrong tree. Your paranoia was in reference to thinking I said something I didn't, it had nothing to do with reading the Bible. I didn't even mention reading the Bible.......from where that came from is anyone's guess. People do love falsely accusing others of saying things they didn't say on here.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/15/13 - 09:57 pm
I do believe you have taken

I do believe you have taken my comment totally the wrong way so let me recap.

You stated "Some really great poetry contained therein"
I stated yes it is and "It's only great poetry if you understand the true meaning." Meaning that if you don't understand it then it's just words and you miss the true meaning.
Then you stated "I like how folks can assume that you do not know the "true meaning" of anything because what you interpret or appreciate does not match what they have been taught."

It went downhill from there.....I never said you didn't know the true meaning. I was making a comment that unless you know the true meaning of the scripture, you can miss the spiritual comparison of bride and groom of man and God.

I apologize if you took it that I insulted you, that was not my intent and the comment about being paranoid was in relation to you saying I said something negative to you when I didn't.

Now, you can continue to carry that negative attitude if you like. I've explain, apologized, and far from being "pompous", thank you very much!

Jake
Jake 05/15/13 - 10:13 pm
True meaning

When someone says they have the "true meaning" that implies that what others may interpret is false or "don't get it". In other words, they do not know what is being actually said. I find the Song of Solomon to be an ode to a beautiful woman (wife?) and do not equate it with Jesus, church, etc. You and many others may equate that. I take it as it is said and don't read anything else into it.
I don't see how that is negative.

fedex227
fedex227 05/15/13 - 10:19 pm
I realize I'm coming out to play late in the game ...

but what in this story indicates that the person who objected to Bible's being placed in state facilities was not a Christian? As much as I hate to quote HA ... uhhuhrr (clearing throat) ... Evidence ??

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/15/13 - 10:23 pm
Jake "When someone says they

Jake "When someone says they have the "true meaning" that implies that what others may interpret is false or "don't get it". "

Well it's a good thing I didn't say I had the "true meaning" or that you didn't have the "true meaning".

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/15/13 - 10:26 pm
All you said Jake was that

All you said Jake was that you put a dollar bill in the juicy parts and that it contained some good poetry......so please tell me again how I said you didn't have the "true meaning". I won't hold my breath.

Good evening.

Jake
Jake 05/15/13 - 10:55 pm
Let's see....

....your 4:28 suggests (at least to me) that there is a relationship going on between God and his "church" that is not even mentioned in the Song of Solomon. I see it simply as a testament of love between a man and a woman. Does it say it is his wife? Or is it just a lovely woman? I won't hold my breath until I turn blue or stomp my feet either.

Enjoy your evening as well.

specsta
specsta 05/15/13 - 11:29 pm
Assault? Don't think so...

myfather15 wrote: "BUT, the truth is; this has NOTHING to do with actually offending someone; it has EVERYTHING to do with continuing the assault on Christianity."

There is no "assault" on Christianity.

There are some roads I can drive down in this city and there are 10 different churches, sometimes sitting right next to each other. I cannot switch channels on my TV without hearing some preacher blabbing about something or another.

If I watch a city council meeting on the cable access channel, I am witnessing a government meeting being opened with a prayer. I don't even know if that's legal.

There are stores that only sell Christian trinkets and Bibles. there are restaurants that do not open on Sundays. There are revivals, prayer meetings, prayer breakfasts, Christian singles meetings, days of prayer, etc.

This is not characteristic of an "assault".

What's under assault are people who believe that their personal lives is nobody's business. But for some reason, some "Christians" want to dictate their beliefs to anyone who doesn't agree with them.

Hmmm...maybe that's the REAL assault - the one perpetrated by so-called Christians against what they consider to be "the heathens of this world."

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/16/13 - 12:52 am
My Father

If I walked into a waiting room and saw a Koran, it would not bother me, but if I walked into ANY government facility that had it on dispaly, it would be unsettling. Get over it; government has no business taking any side in religion, whether it be posting the Christian Ten Commandments in government buildings or allowing Christian literature in taxpayer owned lodging. I grew up with manger scenes at Christmas on the town square. I enjoyed them and still do, but if some non-Christian tax payer objected to it, it is only fair that it be removed. I don't want my tax dollars supporting other religious organizations; but if you do, I guess that is your issue to deal with.

TheGeorgian
TheGeorgian 05/16/13 - 01:12 am
Bravo!

I support the return of the Bibles to the rooms in question. I also support any religious group placing any literary material they wish in the same rooms to keep things equal. If people do not wish to read such material that's fine...but it should be available.

Nonbelievers, go cry in your beer.....

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 05/16/13 - 05:35 am
So any book purchased by an

So any book purchased by an outside group and requested to be placed in the lodges goes in? This could be fun.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/16/13 - 06:05 am
JAKE "Let's see.......your

JAKE "Let's see.......your 4:28 suggests (at least to me) that there is a relationship going on between God and his "church" that is not even mentioned in the Song of Solomon"

Maybe if people would read the content of the comment instead of reading what they THINK it says, there would be less misunderstanding. I said, and I quote:

"Yes Jake, Song of Solomon is a wonderful testament to the kind of love and committment that God ordained between man and his wife, much like the committment and love between Himself (The bridegroom) and the church (His Bride)."

I DID NOT SAY, there was a relationship going on between God and His church. I never said this book was about God and His Church. I said that the relationship that Solomon is describing between him and his wife is "MUCH LIKE" (meaning a comparasion) between the love that Christ (who is mentioned in the Bible as the Bridegroom) has for His church (which is mentioned in the Bible as the Bride).

You asked "Does it say it is his wife? " Yes it does, read chapter 4. He calls her his bride. So yes, this book is about Solomon and one of his brides but it can also we viewed in comparison, much like all poetry.

myfather15
myfather15 05/16/13 - 06:25 am
Again; how EXACTLY is

Again; how EXACTLY is allowing a Bible in a drawer inside a room, the government choosing a certain religion? How is that creating a LAW which establishes a respect for only ONE religion?

@Specsta; actually, most of the examples you've given are correct. BUT, those are EXACTLY what have been attacked over and over. For one example; leftists are trying to get Duck Dynasty removed from A&E simply because they pray and possess guns during the show. Now, I've watched two episodes of that show and that was about all I could handle. I think it's completely stupid but to each his own, I realize millions love the show. BUT, why would anyone want to FORCE it to be removed?

One of those restaurants is Chick-fil-a; did you see what happened to them last year? They came under attack and then millions of people rallied behind them. As long as Christian's keep their mouths shut and sit in the corner, they are fine. BUT, let them come out and vocalize their discontent with liberal policy and "Let's get ready to rumble!!"

Liberals VICIOUSLY attack anyone who comes out against their policies; whether it be gay marriage, abortion, etc.

I COULD type all day with examples of attacks on Christians and Christianity, INCLUDING attacks within the Churches themselves in Michigan, where liberal's actually stormed the Sunday services, attempting to shout down the Pastor. People in Arizona and Ohio who were forced to shut down their Bible Study in their OWN HOMES, because of fire code (Are you serious?). But this would take all day, so do your own research. There are literally hundreds of thousands of examples of Christianity under attack.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/16/13 - 07:50 am
Specta said there's no

Specta said there's no assault, so it must be true. All of the factual examples you listed must not really exist, myfather15.

Little Lamb