Deal orders Bibles back in state park lodges

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 7:41 AM
Last updated 10:29 PM

ATLANTA — Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal on Wednesday ordered the Department of Natural Resources to return Bibles that were removed from cabins and lodges at state parks after a guest complained about them.

In a statement Wednesday, Deal said the state isn’t violating any laws by having the Bibles in the cabins and lodge rooms because they weren’t paid for with state money and have been donated by outside groups.

The Bibles were removed after a guest expressed concerns. Department of Natural Resources management instructed staffers to remove the Bibles from the rooms while the issue was under investigation.

“Our commissioner took that as a pre-emptive effort to try to avoid litigation,” Deal said, adding that he consulted with the state attorney general before ordering the Bibles to be placed back in the cabins and lodges.

Deal says he does not believe Bibles being placed in bedside drawers is a state establishment of religion. The governor says any religious group is welcome to donate literature.

Representatives from the Wisconsin-based Freedom From Religion Foundation spoke out against Deal’s decision to return the Bibles.

In a statement, Elizabeth Cavell, the organization’s staff attorney, contended that guests could bring their own Bibles and that having them placed in the rooms alienates non-Christian park visitors.

karradur
karradur 05/15/13 - 11:49 am
@GodisSoGood

"My faith tells me so!"

Just in case your faith stops talking to you because you're too far away from a Bible?

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/15/13 - 11:50 am
Did someone just call me a

Did someone just call me a pig? Hey Sean, not complaining or anything, but what the hell?

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/15/13 - 11:52 am
Karradur, maybe it was you

Karradur, maybe it was you that was called the p word.

sassylassie
sassylassie 05/15/13 - 11:53 am
Karradur, Where does it

Karradur,
Where does it specifically say in the article that the GOVERNMENT purchased and placed these Bibles there??

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/15/13 - 11:58 am
Sassy, the article doesn't

Sassy, the article doesn't say, but it would be interesting to know, wouldn't it?

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/15/13 - 12:01 pm
karradur "I actually think

karradur "I actually think they should keep the Bibles. And put a Talmud in there with it. And a Koran. And a copy of Dianetics."

By all means, put whatever book you like. When someone is troubled or just looking for something to read, I have enough faith in my God that He will move their heart to pick up His Word. If they don't then it is their choice.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/15/13 - 12:03 pm
sassielassie, that question

sassielassie, that question has been asked about three times and all three times it's been ignored. They can't give you an answer because their comment is based on no facts.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/15/13 - 12:04 pm
ICL, welcome back! With your

ICL, welcome back! With your permission, can I cut and paste my biblical questions that Humble Angela said were "too personal" to answer? I promise not to respond. Just yes or no answers. OK?

sassylassie
sassylassie 05/15/13 - 12:06 pm
I feel terribly sad that some

I feel terribly sad that some individuals posting here today have no hope or faith. Reminds me of how somebody once said that a man on his deathbed doesn't pray to "science" for their life to be saved... Who do you think they ask????
Perhaps some of these individuals may be in a life or death situation one day and feel the need to call upon God for help. It would be interesting to see...
Some of us who are educated and are winding down in years know that everything cannot be explained by science and prefer to have faith and hope in God. I will rest in that.
GiantsAllDay..... Don't get sassy lol

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/15/13 - 12:09 pm
LOL, Sassy. Friends?

LOL, Sassy. Friends?

sassylassie
sassylassie 05/15/13 - 12:11 pm
Sure!

Sure!

bdouglas
bdouglas 05/15/13 - 12:19 pm
This thread makes absolutely

This thread makes absolutely no sense anymore (not that it was making much anyway) with pretty much every post people were replying to being flagged and deleted now...

karradur
karradur 05/15/13 - 12:30 pm
@bdouglas

They tried a different tactic with that "all gays should be executed" letter. They just locked the comments section entirely.

WalterBradfordCannon
WalterBradfordCannon 05/15/13 - 12:31 pm
"WBC, please explain how a

"WBC, please explain how a Bible tucked away in a drawer, discriminates or segregates a person from enjoying the goods, services, facilities, privlege, advantage or accomodations of a cabin or lodge at a State Park."

ICL, I think the more relevant phrase is "equal enjoyment". It is not equal if a specific religious text is placed in the room, and people of different religions would be expected to stay in that room. I don't consider that remotely arguable, and if you have ever gotten involved in legal issues regarding the 1964 Civil Rights Act I don't think you would either. You will simply get destroyed in a courtroom pay a huge fine, and have to remove the bibles anyway.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/15/13 - 12:33 pm
Sassy, thanks. The fact of

Sassy, thanks. The fact of the matter is called "self actualization". We human beings won the battle of evolution. We call the shots on this planet somewhat of a curse came along with it. Many many thousands of years ago the human brain evolved to the point where they realized that they were going to die someday. No other species on this planet knows that they will die someday,just us . This is self actualization. Once our brains finally realized that we would die someday, well that's when god was invented. That's how the human brain deals with death. The only way that you and I will live on is through the people who will remember us and love us. Our children and grandchildren. People such as MyFather15 and InChristLove are going through what is called "cognitive dissonance". Thier brains tell them one thing but they just can't bring themselves to believe the truth. Please look up "cognitive dissonance". If their is a medical doctor out there in the CSRA reading my post, please come on this forum and tell me I'm wrong. MF15, ICL knows what I say is true, but thier cognitive dissonance won't allow them to say so. Sorry to break the news, folks. It's even more sad it had to be a regular person like me.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/15/13 - 12:34 pm
InChristLove
InChristLove 05/15/13 - 12:39 pm
So WBC, you are saying that

So WBC, you are saying that somone who has no faith or religion, or someone of another faith or religion, can not enjoy themselves as much as everyone else while staying in a room or cabin, just because there is a book in a drawer. Truly sad excuse.

Jake
Jake 05/15/13 - 12:40 pm
Interpretation

"That's why you need the government to put Bibles on public property funded by taxpayers, right?"

karradur is clearly stating (at least to me) that the "public property" is the item funded by the taxpayers, not the Bibles.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/15/13 - 12:42 pm
Ah Jake. Glad to see you

Ah Jake. Glad to see you here. I hope you took the time to view my response to your criticism on the R&R last night.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/15/13 - 12:49 pm
I just spent 30 minutes

I just spent 30 minutes stating my option. No profanity. No vulgarity. Nothing. AC shut down my speech

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 05/15/13 - 01:09 pm
The Library of Congress is

The Library of Congress is public property funded largely by taxpayers and you can find a copy of The Bible there...as a matter of fact, according to their site, you can find about 2,800 versions of The Bible in 72 languages..so let's be real here. It's all about the wonderful world (said sarcastically, of course) of Political Correctness.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/15/13 - 01:10 pm
Inauguration

The Chief Justice uses a Bible when swearing the President into office. That is done on public property.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/15/13 - 01:11 pm
Koran

The government provided free Korans to the terrorist prisoners at Gitmo.

WalterBradfordCannon
WalterBradfordCannon 05/15/13 - 01:22 pm
ICL, my comment was on

ICL, my comment was on legality, not happiness or sadness. The legal argument would be framed like this. Do you think a devout Muslim man would enjoy the accomodation more if
A) a Bible were in the drawer
B) a Koran were in the drawer
C) neither
D) he wouldn't care.

You are making my point for me, in fact, by stating you care if a bible is in the room. Therefore, the presence of the bible alters your enjoyment. We can assume a Koran would have a similar impact on a Muslim man, and therefore under the Civil Rights Act (1964) neither is legal.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/15/13 - 01:23 pm
Every bible I have EVER seen

Every bible I have EVER seen at any hotel or state park was placed there, free of charge by the Gideons. How is this "at tax payer expense."

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/15/13 - 01:26 pm
Do you think a devout Amish

Do you think a devout Amish man would enjoy the accommodation more if
A) a Mirror were on the wall
B) a Mirror were in the restroom
C) neither
D) he wouldn't care.

Better take down all the mirrors, lest we violate the Civil Rights act.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/15/13 - 01:43 pm
Do you think a devout

Do you think a devout Hutterite man would enjoy the accommodation more if
A) a Telephone were on the nightstand
B) a Telephone were in the hallway
C) neither
D) he wouldn't care.

I guess we only draw the line when it's the Bible.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/15/13 - 01:45 pm
WBC "You are making my point

WBC "You are making my point for me, in fact, by stating you care if a bible is in the room"

Where did I say I cared whether there was a Bible in the room??

I said put a Bible, Koran, whatever kind of religious book or no book at all. If someone is looking for something to read to give them peace or just cause they are bored....I said, I have enough faith in my God that He will prick their heart to choose the Bible. If not, that's their choice.

Anwer to your question, IMHO, would be "D". If the man is a devout Muslim, most likely he'd have his own Koran and not need to use one in the room.....much like most Christians.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 05/15/13 - 02:11 pm
Ah, yes

Soviet Georgia it is.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/15/13 - 02:17 pm
Internet

Georgia provides internet access at many of those park cottages and cabins. I guess if someone complains the state will have to install filtering software so guests cannot access Christian-themed web sites.