Deal orders Bibles back in state park lodges

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 7:41 AM
Last updated 10:29 PM

ATLANTA — Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal on Wednesday ordered the Department of Natural Resources to return Bibles that were removed from cabins and lodges at state parks after a guest complained about them.

In a statement Wednesday, Deal said the state isn’t violating any laws by having the Bibles in the cabins and lodge rooms because they weren’t paid for with state money and have been donated by outside groups.

The Bibles were removed after a guest expressed concerns. Department of Natural Resources management instructed staffers to remove the Bibles from the rooms while the issue was under investigation.

“Our commissioner took that as a pre-emptive effort to try to avoid litigation,” Deal said, adding that he consulted with the state attorney general before ordering the Bibles to be placed back in the cabins and lodges.

Deal says he does not believe Bibles being placed in bedside drawers is a state establishment of religion. The governor says any religious group is welcome to donate literature.

Representatives from the Wisconsin-based Freedom From Religion Foundation spoke out against Deal’s decision to return the Bibles.

In a statement, Elizabeth Cavell, the organization’s staff attorney, contended that guests could bring their own Bibles and that having them placed in the rooms alienates non-Christian park visitors.

jaxs
jaxs 05/15/13 - 10:02 am
bibles

please everyone email, write or call the GA DEPT OF NATURAL RESOURCES and complain... we have just as much right to have our opinion heard as everyone who wanted them removed.... I have already voiced my opinion today...will you?????

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/15/13 - 10:05 am
GAD

THIS Friday....sooooon...have a great day.

JustSpeakingMyMind
JustSpeakingMyMind 05/15/13 - 10:06 am
GiantsAllDay

Technically I wasn't defending the Bible, it can do that all by itself. I was merely making a point that it clearly tells you where the world is today, as does this article. Explain how someone could have predicted the condition of this world so many years ago with complete accuracy, if not from a Divine power? I will tell you I believe every word of the Bible from cover to cover and if you do not, I will pray for you and ask God to reveal Himself to you. You will never be the same.

gaj265
gaj265 05/15/13 - 10:17 am
Instant Religion

If an objects hits the world next Friday, the first thing you will do is ask God to protect you and your family - whether you think you believe or not.

WalterBradfordCannon
WalterBradfordCannon 05/15/13 - 10:22 am
My reading is that this is a

My reading is that this is a pretty clearcut case with respect to the 1964 Civil Rights Act, Titles II and/or III. "All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accomodation of any place of public accomodation...without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin."

Note that nothing whatsoever would prevent any person from bringing his own Bible into the accomodations. But the 1964 Civil Rights Act pretty much bans any religious items from places of public accomodation that are run by the government.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/15/13 - 10:27 am
Walter, yes! Thank you.

Walter, yes! Thank you. Anyone can bring any book with them on vacation.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/15/13 - 10:31 am
just speaking, you have read

just speaking, you have read the entire bible, cover to cover and you believe all of it? That is your freedom. If you respond positively, I'll give you some suggestions from that book for you to go out and do today. One other thing: PLEASE, PLEASE don't tell little children that the bible is god's word. I beg you.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/15/13 - 10:34 am
WBC, please explain how a

WBC, please explain how a Bible tucked away in a drawer, discriminates or segregates a person from enjoying the goods, services, facilities, privlege, advantage or accomodations of a cabin or lodge at a State Park.

I suppose next we will have to removed any electrical appliances, install hand pumped water facilities, and remove any mirrors because it discriminates against some individuals......there just might be a Quaker, Amish, or Mennonite staying in one of these rooms.

If Atheist can have a Bible removed, then I suppose those who oppose modern technology can request those features that discriminate against their religious beliefs can be removed also.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/15/13 - 10:36 am
Wait just a minute, ICL. You

Wait just a minute, ICL. You believe in BOTH the bible and modern technology? How do you wrap your brain around that?

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/15/13 - 10:42 am
SeenitB4: the giants are in

SeenitB4: the giants are in Colorado this Friday. My brother in law has season tickets at Coors Field. Should I tell him to sell his tickets today? If you have any connection with the great almighty, please pass it along. Thanks

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/15/13 - 10:44 am
GAD, I would caution you to

GAD, I would caution you to be careful what you beg for. Matthew 18: 6 say6s "But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea."

Since you do not believe, I suppose this means nothing to you but out of love for your soul, I caution you.

JustSpeakingMyMind
JustSpeakingMyMind 05/15/13 - 10:45 am
GAD

I always respond positively, I know no other way. The answer to your question is yes and I try to do so yearly. I will share with everyone, children included that the Bible is the word of God, because that is what I am supposed to do. Matthew 28:19 says "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost" oh I am sorry there I go again using The Book to defend the Book!

gaj265
gaj265 05/15/13 - 10:49 am
Everything Offends Someone

Everything in this world offends someone. That does not mean that it should be taken from the rest of us. Political correctness offends me in a thousand ways, minimum. The squeaky wheel generally gets the most attention, so those of us who believe that the Bibles need to stay in our state parks need to call the DNR and SQUEAK!!

JustSpeakingMyMind
JustSpeakingMyMind 05/15/13 - 10:54 am
Matthew 18:6

Thanks ICL, that was right on target as well.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/15/13 - 10:54 am
ICL: Mathew 18:6 may very

ICL: Mathew 18:6 may very well be the greatest statement made by the Christ, Jesus. He got angry when the priests told the people they had to wash thier dishes a certain way on the sabbath. He got angry at the money changers in the temple (his father's house). But Jesus had ABSOLUTELY NO TOLERANCE for someone hurting a little child. That is why I ask people not to scare little kids in believing in places like heaven and hell. It's mental child abuse, plain and simple.

realitycheck09
realitycheck09 05/15/13 - 10:54 am
It's pretty simple

Want a bible in your room? Bring your own (BYOB?). It's a state facility, so it shouldn't have anything religious.

I'm sure all you folks would be cheering this decision if the headline was "State Removes all Korans from Lodges".

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/15/13 - 10:57 am
Realitycheck09: Great

Realitycheck09: Great comment. Reality checks aren't really alive and well in Augusta, GA, however.

realitycheck09
realitycheck09 05/15/13 - 11:11 am
Thanks

Thanks GAD.

Also, what if this story was "State removes sex toys from lodge rooms." I mean, everything offends someone, right? How dare they!

Like gaj265 said above "Everything in this world offends someone. That does not mean that it should be taken from the rest of us."

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/15/13 - 11:16 am
RealityCheck09: My point of

RealityCheck09: My point of view is why can't hotels, motels and lodges just put a good science book in the night stand drawers? No agendas. Just science. Why does this book of myths and legends get folks so upset?

General Disarray
General Disarray 05/15/13 - 11:22 am
"Because taking the Bible out

"Because taking the Bible out of our schools worked so well........"

Actually I attended Evan's high school from 2001-2005....we could have our Bibles(or whatever our preferred religious text was), the library had bibles, etc. We could also pray at lunch or where ever quietly.

The teachers and staff, however, could not lead a prayer. They could not read from any Holy book unless it pertained to a mythology lesson.

Please stop with the "God isn't allowed in school" non-sense. He is. Schools themselves just cannot endorse a specific religion.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/15/13 - 11:24 am
LOL! Point Proven!

LOL! Point Proven!

myfather15
myfather15 05/15/13 - 11:32 am
@Edward

GAD does this every time there is an article about faith. They simply can't contain their hatred for people of the Christian faith. He tries to say he keeps it polite on here; yet takes every single opportunity to be snide and demeaning to Christians.

Also believing himself to be the smartest person in the room; in EVERY room. Hence, his little grammar lesson on a media website where NONE of us really proof read and do corrections.

He believes his way is the only way and we BILLIONS of people, including the VAST majority of the WORLD; who believe in a deity, are just simpleton idiots. Why? Because he and others like him are sooooooo much smarter than us. BUT, the actual reality is; he places his trust in MANKIND; plain and simple. This belief WILL fail him in the end; it's just sad to see this kind of hatred for ANYONE, come from another person. It's best just to simply comment on here and ignore his ridiculous attacks.

(The War I was referencing is the war on Christianity, that doesn't exist according to secular leftists) Doesn't matter how many battles you win, if in the end; you lost the War.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 05/15/13 - 11:33 am
why dont we have non-bible

why dont we have non-bible rooms and bible rooms ...just like non-smoking and smoking rooms....GOD HELP US....the sensabilities of the tolerant left is on the rampage again...

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/15/13 - 11:33 am
Heaven and Hell

GiantsAllDay posted:

Jesus believed in them.

myfather15
myfather15 05/15/13 - 11:36 am
I know 8 year olds with more

I know 8 year olds with more common sense/rational logic than some people. I've also known some adults who were worse than children, when it came to acting petty just to get attention. Yes, it's best to completely ignore these people because responding to them, negative OR positive just fuels the fire.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/15/13 - 11:39 am
MyFather15, welcome to the

MyFather15, welcome to the forum, buddy. And a big THANK YOU for explaining to the CSRA what I'm all about. Oh and by the way, I'm not that much smarter than anybody. If you were to ask my high school and college instructors, they would tell you that my intelligence is around average.

karradur
karradur 05/15/13 - 11:39 am
I actually think they should keep the Bibles.

And put a Talmud in there with it. And a Koran. And a copy of Dianetics.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/15/13 - 11:41 am
Karradur, At least L. Ron

Karradur, At least L. Ron Hubbard was a real person, as crazy as he was.

karradur
karradur 05/15/13 - 11:43 am
@GiantsAllDay

Can we put a Book of Mormon in there?

Joseph Smith was a real person too!

GodisSoGood
GodisSoGood 05/15/13 - 11:44 am
Argue

To try to get non-believers to see the goodness in the Bible is basically casting pearls before swine. Matthew 7:6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

Our lives should bear witness of what Christ has done for us. No amount of arguing will convince a lost person to seek God. But rather our actions, and the life that Christ lives through us. I struggle with this every day....wanting to knock some sense into someone. Christ repeatedly takes me down a notch, and reminds me that only HE can change lives, and only if the person is WILLING to let Him come in.

To those who believe there is no life after death, this is the only heaven you will ever know. To those with life in Christ, this is the only hell we will ever know. My faith tells me so!

Georgia to monitor potential Ebola travelers

The new screening comes on the heels of a decision to funnel all of the travelers from Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone to one of five airports where CDC and airports are conducting enhanced ...