Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RANT TO AUGUSTA Commission and sheriff who do not realize that public safety is supposed to be one of their top priorities. Our downtown and Riverwalk areas could be wonderful, but desperately need more lights (and replace burned-out lights), working cameras strategically placed, and cops walking a beat, including on the Riverwalk from dusk on. This should be a priority over many non-necessary items on the budget. Don’t let the thugs win!

RANT TO A CERTAIN Columbia County mail carrier. Do your job; come to my door and ring the bell instead of just throwing the pink slip in the mailbox when I have a package. With poor work ethic like this, no wonder the post office is under water.

A RAVE TO THE Lincoln County baseball team. They get an A Plus. The Lincoln County fans an F Minus.

WITH THE INCREASING frequency of violent attacks in the downtown area, the RCSO should not be surprised when the law-abiding citizens decide not to be scared away from areas they have every right to be and start taking matters into their own hands.

SURPRISE! SURPRISE! Another violent mob scene in downtown Augusta caught on video. And as usual it happened around 2 a.m. when the bars were closing. If you want to put this nonsense to an end, the city needs to close the bars down at midnight. Like mama always said, nothing good ever happens after midnight anyway.

AUGUSTA-RICHMOND COUNTY, how many accidents have to happen at the intersection of Highway 56 and Brown Road before something is done? Or how many lives have to be lost to get someone’s attention?

FORGET THE CAMERAS ON Riverwalk. Assign four or five undercover cops (both female and male officers) to walk around and sit on benches in that area. After the thugs begin getting arrested and/or shot they will go somewhere else.

IF REP. BARROW IS smart, and he seems to be (unless he votes to tax the internet and goes along with amnesty for the illegals) he will become a Republican. He is more conservative-Libertarian than Graham and McCain. I have seen worse.

SPONSORS OF “Thunder Over Augusta” have the right to hold the event anywhere they would like, but please change the name to “Thunder Over Evans.”

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/15/13 - 06:32 pm
A major RANT to the Hit and Run Driver

This morning on Hwy 56 Hill you killed a man.
Let that sink in ...

Whatever the cause, fleeing the scene just added 10-20 years to your prison sentence.

I never knew Dennis John Skillman by name until today.
But I saw him almost every morning headed to work in the early hours and often heading home in the late evening.

Rain, cold or heat he was on his bike headed to work.
Heck he worked harder getting to work than many of us work at work.

So whoever you are, I have faith in the RCSO.
You will be found.
You will be brought to justice.
YOU WILL SERVE TIME.

But Nothing will bring back Dennis John Skillman now and the family will have memories, thanks to your actions.

tom31510
tom31510 05/15/13 - 06:33 pm
Under cover cops

What police officer in his/her right mind would go downtown or the Riverwalk undercover. The thugs there would shoot them just as quickly as they's shoot anyone. If an undercover officer approached one of the thugs the firefight would start.

tom31510
tom31510 05/15/13 - 06:33 pm
Under cover cops

countyman
20120
countyman 05/16/13 - 12:18 am
Downtown= safe, vibrant, trendy, hip, growing

Tom31510. When has anyone ever been shot at the Riverwalk lol? The last shooting in the Central Business District was in July of 2012. The recent attack was the first crime at the Riverwalk in over 16 months. The local police also patrol Richmond County, and they've already said the Central Business District is safe. Maybe you should try visiting the area sometimes..

#4.. The number of violent crimes downtown are not increasing in frequency. The CBD haD one homicide since the year 2011, and the last shooting was almost one year ago.
#5.. Augusta is the second largest metro in GA by far, and not a small town located in South Georgia. Some people don't even get off work until 10pm/11 pm and others not until after 12 am. The fight downtown involved only around 5-6 people. Over 200k people live in Richmond County, close to 600k in the metro, and over 700k in the CSRA. There's no point of spoiling the entire nightlife scene for everybody when the majority of people act responsibly.
#6. DOT is suppose to begin construction in 2013 along Mike Padgett/Hwy 56.

countyman
20120
countyman 05/16/13 - 12:41 am
Private developers love Augusta & satellite city

The Augusta Exchange area of West Augusta continues to boom, and this is the best chance to create the first 'edge city' in the metro/CSRA. Genghis Grill is opening their first location outside of metro Atlanta(Perimeter in Sandy Springs & Mall of GA in Buford) in the former Souper Salad location. Genghis Grill requires a 35k daytime population, Avg HH income of $65k, and 75k residential population within three miles. The Augusta Exchange area must begin to start going vertical in the future.

"Edge city" is an American term for a concentration of business, shopping, and entertainment outside a traditional downtown (or central business district) in what had previously been a residential or rural area.

1. Shopping- Augusta Exchange
2. Jobs- Doctors Hospital, ADP, T-Mobile, WOW, Atrium, Wheeler Executive Center, Social Security building, etc
3. Entertainment- Augusta Exchange

The recent construction includes the Home2Suites by Hilton, Tutti Frutti expansion/Jimmy Johns/Tin Drum Cafe in the plaza with Romas/Limelight Cafe, Buffalo Wild Wings, Ulta, the new plaza with Dunkin Donuts/Diablos, Vitamin Shoppe, etc. The future construction includes Residential Inn by Marriott on Marks Church rd, development behind Buffalo Wild Wings, 44 acre development at Walton Way Extension/I-20, etc.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/16/13 - 12:37 am
Thoughtful comment Nocnoc; I

Thoughtful comment Nocnoc; I feel exactly the same way. We need more D J Skillmans who are doing the best they can to work and put food on the table. I'm sure he could have taken the easy way with excuses, but he didn't; and now his life and efforts are wiped out by an irresponsible coward who hit him and left him to die.

allhans
allhans 05/16/13 - 02:49 am
I would think that uniformed

I would think that uniformed patrol would chase them out of the area...police cars..etc Maybe not be as many arrests made but at least they might finally be driven back to the place from whence they came.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/16/13 - 05:03 am
I thought there was shooting

I thought there was shooting at the fight on Broad St the other week?

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/16/13 - 05:04 am
Nothing wrong with calling

Nothing wrong with calling the Evans event Thunder Over Augusta. It's going to be a huge patriotic celebration.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/16/13 - 05:12 am
I was reading the

I was reading the requirements for the restaurant. I wonder if they looked at the median household income of Columbia County which just happens to be 65K?

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/16/13 - 06:54 am
Yes ICL

(from yesterday)....It is possible I didn't see all the posts.....but I have seen ugly on here many times.....& even if we don't agree with all the comments some make......it would get boring if we all thought the same about everything....in fact ..I rather enjoy your toe to toe remarks with others...& you do it without getting ugly. :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/16/13 - 06:56 am
The last thing

The last thing I want to see on here is a 100 bobbleheads singing the same song!

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/16/13 - 08:40 am
Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/16/13 - 07:50 am
Thunder Over Evans?

The trouble is that Evans doesn't have a mayor.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/16/13 - 08:32 am
This is interesting

In AJC this am.

Petraeus disagreed over talking points over Benghazi.....he didn't want the truth held out of the message......& wasn't that the time that the news came out about his love affair...geez

He didn't fall in lockstep with the stupid talking points.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/16/13 - 09:38 am
ok folks

I think I will sit on my deck...nice & cool here...read my biiig AJC...drink my coffee....think kind thoughts.....eat the sweet cookie that my neighbor's mother brought us from Japan....sweet lady....just wish I could read the writing on that box....have yall ever noticed how smart Asians are......I wish they taught in our schools...:)

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/16/13 - 09:39 am
LL said, "Thunder Over

LL said, "Thunder Over Evans?

The trouble is that Evans doesn't have a mayor."

So what would you rather have, the one Richmond County has now or none?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/16/13 - 09:53 am
Which?

I think none is better.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/16/13 - 09:57 am
Rant #7

Female and male officers undercover — — that could get interesting.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/16/13 - 10:10 am
Yep, we had a vote on

Yep, we had a vote on incorporating Columbia County once. It lost by about 1000 to 1 it seems.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/16/13 - 10:15 am
Consolidation

Yeah, I remember how Ron Cross campaigned so hard to get Columbia County to consolidate like Richmond. I guess being mayor seemed like a more exciting job title to him instead of the mundane chair of commission title.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 05/16/13 - 10:18 am
"...have yall ever noticed how smart Asians are..."

Having spent a good portion of my life --as well as marrying one-- in Asia, let me tell you first hand: They're no smarter than any other group. BUT. This is a big one: they approach education with the same fervor most cultures approach religion. That's why they do so well; the underlying principles are Confusian, which elevate learning to a virtue; advancement is by merit. An aside: In Asia, teaching is a highly respected profession, and teachers are selected from the top tier of students.

"Tiger mothers" and suicides when the children cannot get into the "right" schools are the dark side.

Itsallnew11
Itsallnew11 05/16/13 - 10:39 am
CSRA Thunder

This would encompass all areas. But it has always been Thunder Over Augusta and there is nothing wrong with the same name, different venue!

dichotomy
dichotomy 05/16/13 - 10:56 am
Mail Package Delivery.

"Columbia County mail carrier. Do your job; come to my door and ring the bell instead of just throwing the pink slip in the mailbox when I have a package."

USED to have the same problem several years ago. The mail was usually delivered between 10:30 - 11:00. I would go down to the road and get the mail after lunch only to find one of those "Nobody home - You can pick up your package at the post office" pink slips. Of course, I WAS at home and I COULD NOT go pick it up right away because it was still riding around on the mail truck until the end of the day.

I checked the postal regulations. Found out that the mail carriers are required to deliver packages to the house up to 1/2 of a mile one way distance from the road if the package will not fit in the mailbox or if the mail is "signature required".

I went to the post office and complained to the postmaster, quoted regulation number and paragraph, and made a note of the date and time.

It happened again a few weeks later. I called the post office, asked for the postmaster, and when she answered I asked her for the correct spelling of her name and the name of the carrier on my route that day. I told her I already had my online complaint filled out for the U.S. Postal Service Inspector General and I just wanted to make sure I spelled their names correctly.

It's been over 3 years now since I have had a pink slip. Now when I get a package too large to go into the mailbox they bring my mail to the house.

From Post Office Handbook PO 603 Ordinary Parcel Delivery:

"331.21 Attract Customer to Box
If a parcel is too large for the box, make a reasonable effort to attract the customer to the box to receive the parcel. Do this by sounding the horn or by hailing the customer. If unsuccessful, you must deliver parcels to any residence or business that is on the line of travel, or within one-half mile of the route and has a passable road leading to it. You are required to dismount to effect delivery if there is no response to your efforts to have the customer come to the vehicle, or if the customer requests that you do so. In multi-tenant buildings, make every effort to deliver parcels to customers using existing building notification procedures."

daphne3520
daphne3520 05/16/13 - 11:00 am
Second Rant" Precisely and correctly spoken! One of

the main reasons I use online banking AND email, whenever I can is the lazy, seemingly illiterate Postal Workers that are causing the Post Office to go under!

countyman
20120
countyman 05/16/13 - 11:42 am
Augusta Exchange is richer than majority of Columbia County

A person shooting into the air, and somebody getting shot are two different things. The last shooting was in July of 2012 in the CBD.

The Augusta Exchange is one of the largest, safest, upscale, and fastest growing shopping areas in the CSRA. The CEO of Electrolux just sold his former house(Confier Place) for $1 million in the same area.

The last time I checked the Augusta Exchange is clearly located in Richmond County. Every single day we hear from people like Riverman bash Richmond County, and tell us how beautiful/great Columbia County is... The fact is developers are following the money, and it lead them to the Augusta Exchange.

How can anybody think Columbia County is more important than the surrounding area of West Augusta lol(the place where the restaurant is actually opening)?

The Chick Fil A in the Augusta Exchange was chosen for their new concept(playground, two drive thru windows, etc). They could have easily remolded the location on Washington rd in Evans.

The avg HH income of the Augusta Exchange area is well over $65k and that's only one requirement.

Darby
Darby 05/16/13 - 11:43 am
"What police officer in his/her right mind would

go downtown or the Riverwalk undercover."

Not exactly a walking encyclopedia on the conduct of an undercover sting are we?

My question is: What police officer, in any state of mind would not relish the opportunity to go downtown or onto the Riverwalk in an undercover role?

I'm guessing the sheriff would have to draw lots for the privilege.

Trouble is, the scum have a pretty good radar when it comes to sensing a setup and it probably wouldn't be all that successful.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/16/13 - 12:11 pm
Oh, so you mean by shooting

Oh, so you mean by shooting only when someone is hit. Okay. At the Great First Friday Shootout last summer, I think SIX were hit.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 05/16/13 - 02:01 pm
Riverman....now don't go

Riverman....now don't go posting facts....that will only validate your arguement

harley_52
harley_52 05/16/13 - 02:27 pm
"A person shooting into the air,....

....and somebody getting shot are two different things."

The Joe Biden school of self-protection.