Deal orders Bibles back in state park lodges

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 7:41 AM
Last updated 10:29 PM

ATLANTA — Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal on Wednesday ordered the Department of Natural Resources to return Bibles that were removed from cabins and lodges at state parks after a guest complained about them.

In a statement Wednesday, Deal said the state isn’t violating any laws by having the Bibles in the cabins and lodge rooms because they weren’t paid for with state money and have been donated by outside groups.

The Bibles were removed after a guest expressed concerns. Department of Natural Resources management instructed staffers to remove the Bibles from the rooms while the issue was under investigation.

“Our commissioner took that as a pre-emptive effort to try to avoid litigation,” Deal said, adding that he consulted with the state attorney general before ordering the Bibles to be placed back in the cabins and lodges.

Deal says he does not believe Bibles being placed in bedside drawers is a state establishment of religion. The governor says any religious group is welcome to donate literature.

Representatives from the Wisconsin-based Freedom From Religion Foundation spoke out against Deal’s decision to return the Bibles.

In a statement, Elizabeth Cavell, the organization’s staff attorney, contended that guests could bring their own Bibles and that having them placed in the rooms alienates non-Christian park visitors.

JustSpeakingMyMind
JustSpeakingMyMind 05/15/13 - 07:49 am
A knee jerk reaction

One person is concerned so you remove the Bibles from the rooms. What are they concerned about? Do they think the Bible will jump out of the night stand drawer and cause them bodily harm. Surely they wouldn't take it out and read it. This world is going down fast. Take the time to read 2 Timothy 3:1-5 and as you read it in your mind place a check mark beside all the things that pertain to the world today. It will put things in perspective for you.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/15/13 - 08:12 am
Sad Day

Georgia Parks Officials fear criticism of atheists more than they fear the Lord. They would do well to re-order their priorities.

gaj265
gaj265 05/15/13 - 08:13 am
Because taking the Bible out

Because taking the Bible out of our schools worked so well........

myfather15
myfather15 05/15/13 - 08:16 am
This just proves the

This just proves the intolerance of the athiests or secular leftists. Which one this "Complaintant" is, I do not know but I promise you; he is one of the two. Is it NOT possible he/she could have just looked away from the Bible lying there; or possilby just placed it in a drawer, hidden from sight? Why complain, when YOU have the power to ignore ANY item, just sitting there? I promise you, that Bible didn't jump up and start preaching to this person.

Last time I went to Gatlinburg, I stayed in a cabin that had pictures of horses and angels. I suppose I could have complained because I don't like horses, or angels. This is exactly how ridiculous this is. ONE person complains and they remove all the Bibles, from every room. Absolutely absurd. I would have told that person "You can either ignore the book, place it in a drawer; out of sight or STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE MORON!!! Either way; SHUT UP!! Thats the way we need to treat complainers with such ridiculous complaints. We shouldn't be entertaining their ridiculous opinions.

Eat it up secular leftists!! I know you absolutely LOVE stories like this. Enjoy your victories while they last. You WILL win more and more of these battles because no one nows days has the spine to stand up to you. We've been forwarned this will happen and this SHOULD just reaffirm Christians beliefs, because God told us this is going to happen more and more. One question; what good is it to win battle after battle, when you lose the WAR?

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/15/13 - 08:16 am
Hmmmm. Were the bibles placed

Hmmmm. Were the bibles placed there by the state or are these Gideon Bibles? If the later then it in no way is the govt establishing a religion. If the state place the bible there, then we have a problem.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 05/15/13 - 08:25 am
Sad day ! We cannot forget

Sad day ! I would like to know who made this decision.

BamaMan
BamaMan 05/15/13 - 08:36 am
Sad day

THIS is why the world is going to Hell in a handbasket. We are pushing the very presence that put us here, out of our lives. Madelyn Murray O'Hare would be celebrating if she weren't in the land of torment as we speak.

tom31510
tom31510 05/15/13 - 08:37 am
Bibles in lodges

So, if I complain that there are no Bibles in lodges they will be replaced? Or if enough people complain?

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/15/13 - 08:54 am
What

What did they want there instead...,the Koran?

bdouglas
bdouglas 05/15/13 - 09:05 am
I can hear the conversation

I can hear the conversation now... "I don't want your religion forced on me by you paying for and putting those Bibles in the drawer I never opened the whole time I was on vacation!"

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 05/15/13 - 09:30 am
As ridiculous as this is, I

As ridiculous as this is, I would think that at the minimum instead of removing them altogether , they would have the Bibles available for those that ask for it- maybe in the office. Or will the simple existence of the Bible continue to offend these folks? Next thing you know, they'll be removing them from bookstores, etc because it offends people who shop at bookstores....sheesh.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/15/13 - 09:18 am
I have always envisioned the

I have always envisioned the day when a good science book would replace bibles in hotel rooms. What's wrong with that? Or maybe a book by Dawkins or Hitchens? Get ready Georgia. Science is finally coming to your state. Are you prepared?

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/15/13 - 09:20 am
Justspeakingmymind: please,

Justspeakingmymind: please, in the future don't use a quote from the book to defend the same book, OK? Thanks.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/15/13 - 09:23 am
BamaMan, where is Ms, O'Hare

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/15/13 - 09:27 am
MyFather15: I'm a little

MyFather15: I'm a little confused. What war are you referencing?

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/15/13 - 09:29 am
BDouglas: great comment.

BDouglas: great comment. I'm still laughing.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/15/13 - 09:31 am
Maybe if the very right

Maybe if the very right reverends pound the pulpit a little harder on Sunday this will all go away.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/15/13 - 09:32 am
GAD " BamaMan, where is Ms,

GAD "
BamaMan, where is Ms, O'Hare right now in your humble opinion? Just want to know where the god you believe in sends his (or her) children."

Misconception GAD....we are all God's creation, but we are all not God's children.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/15/13 - 09:35 am
Oh wow. Just wow. ICL just

Oh wow. Just wow. ICL just said certain segments of the human race are NOT god's children. It's posted right up there folks, for all to read. Feeling pretty special are we, ICL?

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/15/13 - 09:44 am
Let go GAD...let go please

We all have the right to believe as we see fit.....believe or not ..that is your decision.......this big world has enough room for all of us.....we are still in the learning stage.....imho.....waiting for intelligence to shine the light to the miracle of life......but one day something will happen & more than likely we all will be together in unison......actions speak louder than words...if you really love your fellow man your kindness will show up in everything you do....really....even posting on here.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/15/13 - 09:44 am
Not special at all GAD,

Not special at all GAD, blessed. Feeling left out there are we?

Yes, I said it and His Word says it. The Bible is clear that all people are God’s creation and that He loves the entire world but only those who are born again are children of God. John 1:12 says "Yet to all who received Him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God." Romans 8:16 says "The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children"

GAD if you are not a believer, never received Christ as your Lord, and if His Spirit does not testify with your spirit, then no, I'm sorry you are not a child of God. But then coming from someone who does not believe in God, nor believe in His Word, it's odd that this would surprise you so much as to "wow" you.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/15/13 - 09:45 am
SeenitB4

What exactly did I say?

sassylassie
sassylassie 05/15/13 - 09:46 am
GiantsAllDay - lots of posts

GiantsAllDay - lots of posts on here today challenging others negatively. What's up with that?
And what's the problem with quoting a book to support it?
I sense you are challenging everyone here for personal reasons. Please-we are not here to argue everyone's posted opinion. We all have reasons why we think/don't think the Bibles should be there.
Be nice!

OJP
OJP 05/15/13 - 09:46 am
sassylassie
sassylassie 05/15/13 - 09:49 am
Where was it stated that the

Where was it stated that the state was paying for the Bibles, OJP?

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/15/13 - 09:50 am
Who said the state paid for

Who said the state paid for the Bibles OJP?

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/15/13 - 09:51 am
I have always tried to be

I have always tried to be nice on this forum. I just ask that all my fellow brothers and sisters today, sit down on your couch and take a long hard look at your beliefs. It's OK people. If you decide that the bible is not what you were taught as little children the world will still be out there for you. It's a wonderful place. :-)

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/15/13 - 09:52 am
Just this

Let all believe as THEY see fit.....that is still a freedom in the USA....what works for you won't always work for another......I'm finished in this discussion because we have differing opinions & some want all or none type answers....no one has all the answers imho...if some strange object hits the earth next Friday...wouldn't we all be in lock step together.....I see good & bad everywhere GAD......some religious & some non religious...don't you?

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/15/13 - 09:57 am
SeenitB4: Yes, absolutely

SeenitB4: Yes, absolutely
Oh, by the way, are you talking this friday or next Friday?

sassylassie
sassylassie 05/15/13 - 09:57 am
On that note seenitB4....I

On that note seenitB4....I agree and off to work!
Great way to sum it up.
GAD- it's ok to capitalize "Bible" as it IS the name of a book....
Have a great day everyone!