Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

YOU HAVE to admire the Israelis since they mean what they say. They have taken decisive action after their “red line” was crossed. In January and again recently they have performed airstrikes in Syria on weapons shipments bound for Hezbollah. Good for them!

TO THE 82-YEAR-OLD in the wheelchair: The unfortunate tendency to lawsuits makes it impossible for some extra services to be done off premises, so I suspect that is the reason why MCG can no longer send someone out to the parking lot for you. Someone needs to help transport you at least far enough into the hospital or doctor’s office and to get you out, too.

WHAT IS GOING ON in Syria is none of our business. It’s time to bring our troops home and put America first.

MORE THAN $280,000 worth of things that GRU President Ricardo Azziz did to the home without approval? That money could have helped out some little bit for the low-paid staff with no raises for several years.

RAVE FOR THE WORK of Operation Thunder in cutting down on drunk drivers. Now, if they can only roll one out for downtown a bit to catch the crooks who are attacking people out there at least two days in a row.

LOOK, BAR OWNERS, if cuts in your alcohol sales mean fewer drunk drivers, you will have to live with that. Either that or have a better system with the taxis or other services to have someone drive the drunks home.

OPERATION ROLLING Thunder ... Though catching DUIs, drug abusers is a good thing, I got caught up in it. I’m a senior citizen living on a fixed income and a careful driver. I see in Sunday’s paper many people got warnings while I got a speeding ticket. I wonder why this is? Since I got the ticket I’ve been trying to find out how much this operation cost me but no one has been able to tell me. I have provided the citation number and my driver’s license and no one has a record for it. What’s up with this mess? I am trying to budget to pay this thing.

DOWNTOWN AUGUSTA does not need a bus to take Fort Gordon soldiers to the bars on Friday and Saturday nights. What downtown needs is more police patrolling the streets.

happychimer
happychimer 05/14/13 - 11:36 am
I read that the reason for

I read that the reason for the phone records was that some in the press were reporting things that gave the goings on of secret CIA that was going into the wrong hands and giving away our plans of operation. If we are spying, we don't want to let the enemy know our plans.

happychimer
happychimer 05/14/13 - 11:39 am
As for getting drunks off the

As for getting drunks off the road, it has cut way down. I have heard that drunks are collapsing in parking lots along Washington Road, and some park at businesses and leave them there overnight, because they are scared of getting dui.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/14/13 - 11:55 am
Collapsing alright.

Collapsing alright.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/14/13 - 11:57 am
I never saw Laurie Wainwright

I never saw Laurie Wainwright Van­over in the Chronicle jail report. Did anyone? Her mugshot also was removed from the story and another regular type photo of her substituted.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/14/13 - 11:58 am
"It’s time to bring our

"It’s time to bring our troops home and put America first."

I wonder how many times in our history that's been said?

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/14/13 - 12:12 pm
A big RANT to the Augusta

A big RANT to the Augusta Chronicle. This afternoon, the governor of Minnesota will sign a bill making that state the 12th in the nation to grant marriage equality. The AC's website remains silent on this news, but will print LTE's all day long (such as that classic one a couple of days ago) about how homosexuality is against god's word. This summer the SCOTUS will probably agree with the appellate courts and overturn California's ban on marriage equality, making it the 13th state. Yet, the AC continues to support the hate mongers who hold on to an ancient book of myths and fairy tales. I'm trying to do a favor to my bible believing Christian friends: please accept these changes and embrace all human beings into the human family. I PROMISE you that because of these long delayed changes your marriage and the quality of your marriage will not be diminished one little bit. If you cannot or will not accept the coming changes to the way human beings treat eath other, you'll have to resort to your playbook:
Your preachers can pound the pulpit a little harder on Sundays
You can read the bible an extra hour each day
You can sing your tired worn out hymns a little louder on Sundays
You can organize prayer groups and pray a little stronger
I'm just telling you, this wont do any good
Your friend,
GAD

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/14/13 - 12:29 pm
"Yet, the AC continues to

"Yet, the AC continues to support the hate mongers who hold on to an ancient book of myths and fairy tales."

Nice....accuse others of hate while being intolerant and disrespectful of their beliefs all in the same sentence.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/14/13 - 01:00 pm
Humble A, come on now. I have

Humble A, come on now. I have always looked at you as a person with above average intelligence. And the majority of the time the things you have to say on this forum are worth thinking about and investigating. You did read that LTE from (he who is not worth naming) a couple of days ago, re: homosexuality? Linus waited in the pumpkin patch every Halloween for the great pumpkin to come, but never to any avail. I think the great cartoonist Shultz was trying to teach we adults a lesson. Linus was a little kid, so I cut him a break. But adults with 21st century brains? Well, I'm a little harder on them. I try not to be. Really. Maybe it's just one of my weaknesses.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/14/13 - 01:02 pm
Many people.....very

Many people.....very intelligent people believe in the Bible. THAT is a fact. I suppose you are smarter than all of them. I don't believe so....just more disrespectful and intolerant.

happychimer
happychimer 05/14/13 - 01:03 pm
My opinion is a marriage is

My opinion is a marriage is between a man and a woman. I also feel that gay relationships are wrong. The Bible is not an ancient fairytale. That is my opinion. I am not going to get out and protest against gays. I know a few who are very good people, and what they do behind closed doors is none of my business. If gay marriages become legal in Ga, I will accept it but won't like it.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/14/13 - 01:18 pm
So tell me Angela, just give

So tell me Angela, just give me your honest opinion and I will not comment on your answers. Your answers will stand on their own. Do you believe the first human beings Adam and Eve lived 6,000 years ago? Do you believe that there was no death (animal or vegetable) on this earth before the fall of Adam? (Again about 6,000 years ago). Do you believe that about 4,000 years ago a guy named Noah had a floating zoo with 2 of EVERY species of animal? Did he have a special refrigeration system for the penguins and polar bears? Was the flood global or local? If global did the waters rise above the highest point on earth? (Think Mt Everest, Anglela). You have to admit that this is a butt load of water, Angela. Was the church correct or was Galelio correct when he was excommunicated for teaching that the earth revolves around the sun? 3,000 years ago did god cause the earth to stand still for 24 continuous hours in order to give the Israelites more time (sunlight) to kill their enemies? And finally, do you think that it's child abuse to teach small children these things as fact? I will not comment on your answers, therefore no chance for disrespect. Most of your replies play the "disrespect" card. But what if the truth lies on the other side? Is is still disrespectful then or is the disrespect deserved? Oh by the way, I'll let you contact a theologian before you answer. It doesn't matter to me, either way.

happychimer
happychimer 05/14/13 - 01:26 pm
Giants nothing you say can

Giants nothing you say can make me believe there is no God.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/14/13 - 01:34 pm
What I believe is completely

What I believe is completely irrelevant. The point is that I don't belittle other people because of their religious beliefs, or call them fairy tales. It's rude and completely without class.

happychimer
happychimer 05/14/13 - 01:42 pm
I don't belittle other people

I don't belittle other people either because of their religious beliefs.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/14/13 - 02:10 pm
Thanks HA, you're silence on

Thanks HA, you're silence on my questions tells me all I need to know. HappyChimer, I appreciate your comment as well. Nothing I (or anyone else) will say can change your beliefs about a diety. This tells me you have lost your curiosity, which is the source of all human advancement and progression. The worst characteristic about religion is that it kills curiousiry. It kills curiousity dead dead dead. I don't worry about you, HA, ICL, Fiat or their ilk. My hope is that maybe a middle, high school or college student might read my posts. You know, the youngsters who haven't lost their curiousity. And here's a big shout out to you physicians and scientists out there who never lost thier curiosity.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/14/13 - 02:16 pm
Meetings

Riverman posted:

Something is up with the North Augusta stadium. There is another meeting tonight about it.

There is also a meeting this evening in the Columbia County Government Auditorium about the plans for re-routing and widening Old Petersburg Road and Old Evans Road (along with a new intersection at Blue Ridge Drive). It's from 5:00 to 7:00 and it's open house style, with DOT and county officials there to answer questions.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/14/13 - 02:51 pm
So by not even telling you

So by not even telling you what my beliefs are or are not, you just assume that I have lost my curiosity? You seem to assume a great deal. You don't even know what my religious beliefs are or are not. I simply stated that it is classless and rude to belittle someone's beliefs the way you have. If you believe that someone must share those religious beliefs in order to believe that your comments are rude, then so be it. You are allowed to make as many baseless assumptions as you want.

I must be the only physicist in the world with no curiosity. That makes me wonder.......oh wait...no it doesn't...I have no curiosity, because I didn't answer an irreverent personal question.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/14/13 - 02:50 pm
How dumb can we be

If we don't put a stop to this we deserve to be called dumb buns...

How dumb are we??? So now we find out that the entire Tsarnaev family (Dad, Mom, 2 sons & 2 daughters) started receiving government assistance as soon as they set foot in our country. As political refugees they were entitled to settlement assistance from day one. (Section 8 Housing, public healthcare, food stamps etc.) Then their stellar older son impregnates and marries the daughter of a doctor, and this new little Muslim family receives 18 months of government assistance. They only came off welfare after the naive young “wife” starts working 70 hours a week while husband Tamerlan stays home and builds bombs and plans to kill and injure the very Americans who have paid for his pathetic existence for the past 12 plus years.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/14/13 - 02:55 pm
Protest Tomorrow Morning at Savannah Rapids Pavilion

Hank Huckaby, Chancellor of the University System of Georgia, is going to speak tomorrow morning at 7 AM at the Savannah Rapids Pavilion. They have said they don't want to embarrass him with questions about Azziz so they will screen written questions submitted and only give him those that are not confrontational. Since this form of censorship is to be employed, we should show up in mass and really embarrass him as he enters tomorrow. My sign will read "Where is the $45,000 for the name study?"

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/14/13 - 03:04 pm
Just curious. If someone not

Just curious (really I am). If someone not answering question tells you all you need to know, then why bother asking? Why not just make your baseless assumptions from the get go?

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/14/13 - 03:04 pm
River

Why not go that just like you did at the luncheon....give credit to countyman with your sign pinned to your shirt....hahah

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/14/13 - 03:09 pm
Hahaha...now that would be

Hahaha...now that would be funny. But I can't do that routine at 7 AM cold sober. I wonder how that would go? I would stand up and ask are you aware Richmond County is getting a 5 Guys? The villages at Riverwatch are coming too. Mr. Huckaby, would you have the college run buses downtown all night until 5 AM?

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/14/13 - 03:12 pm
Now is the time...show up

Well with all the posts on here I would think many from AC would be there too..

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/14/13 - 03:16 pm
Humble (a misnomer if there

Humble (a misnomer if there was ever was one) Angela, if those questions were too personal, I apologize. I just know that there are many, very many AC readers who post their beliefs on this forum. Looking back on your posts, you really haven't put your personal beliefs on here. My belief is (and before you go off on me, it's only a guess, ok?) it is hard to defend the indefensible, isn't it? Again, my sincere apology; I numbered you among those who were at least brave enough to put their personal beliefs on here. The reason why I asked you those questions (too personal for you, not so much for others) was to make a connection. I will tell you what I believe, (based on being 50+ years old and having sat in some class rooms), just ask.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/14/13 - 03:18 pm
Posters

Waving some of those "Save the A" posters would be a nice touch for Chancellor Huckaby.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/14/13 - 03:19 pm
To those struggling to get an education

READ THIS!!!

A Breakdown of your and my investment into the Tsarnaev Family:

Section 8 housing

Free public healthcare

Food stamps and other EFT transfer payments

Federal Pell Grants for both sons and most likely their daughters as well. (That is $5200.00 per year for each son or daughter who attended a college.)

City of Cambridge also awarded a $2500 per year scholarship to the younger son.

Younger son also reportedly was receiving state college scholarship.

What did we receive for our investment:

- Older son was arrested for domestic battery on a former girlfriend.

- The mother was arrested last year for shoplifting $1600 in merchandise from a Lord & Taylor store. Mother is facing immediate arrest for failure to appear regarding this matter.

- Then of course we know that the two sons combined to kill four people (3 Americans & a Chinese exchange student), severely injure 100 plus other people, carjacked another victim and only let him live when they found out that he was not an American citizen.

Now....doesn't that give you a warm & fuzzy feeling.....

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/14/13 - 03:21 pm
Sorry... Nice try GAD...but

Sorry... Nice try GAD...but you won't bully or shame me into answering an irrelevant question either. I stand by my statement that belittling other people's religion and beliefs is without class. My major reason for not answering the questions was because the answer is completely irrelevant. My belief or disbelief in a deity does not come into play in my decision to NOT be rude and without class, nor should it come into someone else's. That's what tolerance is all about.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/14/13 - 03:21 pm
Nice backhanded insult about

Nice backhanded insult about my name too......Just keep that class flowing.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/14/13 - 03:22 pm
Wear a big A t-shirt

Now surely some can can make a few shirts this evening...

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/14/13 - 03:25 pm
Neighbors along the road

Now what would keep the home owners from placing a big sign in their yard...say along Evans Lock Rd.......can't control THAT now can they...I might call my sis about this...she is in that area..