Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

YOU HAVE to admire the Israelis since they mean what they say. They have taken decisive action after their “red line” was crossed. In January and again recently they have performed airstrikes in Syria on weapons shipments bound for Hezbollah. Good for them!

TO THE 82-YEAR-OLD in the wheelchair: The unfortunate tendency to lawsuits makes it impossible for some extra services to be done off premises, so I suspect that is the reason why MCG can no longer send someone out to the parking lot for you. Someone needs to help transport you at least far enough into the hospital or doctor’s office and to get you out, too.

WHAT IS GOING ON in Syria is none of our business. It’s time to bring our troops home and put America first.

MORE THAN $280,000 worth of things that GRU President Ricardo Azziz did to the home without approval? That money could have helped out some little bit for the low-paid staff with no raises for several years.

RAVE FOR THE WORK of Operation Thunder in cutting down on drunk drivers. Now, if they can only roll one out for downtown a bit to catch the crooks who are attacking people out there at least two days in a row.

LOOK, BAR OWNERS, if cuts in your alcohol sales mean fewer drunk drivers, you will have to live with that. Either that or have a better system with the taxis or other services to have someone drive the drunks home.

OPERATION ROLLING Thunder ... Though catching DUIs, drug abusers is a good thing, I got caught up in it. I’m a senior citizen living on a fixed income and a careful driver. I see in Sunday’s paper many people got warnings while I got a speeding ticket. I wonder why this is? Since I got the ticket I’ve been trying to find out how much this operation cost me but no one has been able to tell me. I have provided the citation number and my driver’s license and no one has a record for it. What’s up with this mess? I am trying to budget to pay this thing.

DOWNTOWN AUGUSTA does not need a bus to take Fort Gordon soldiers to the bars on Friday and Saturday nights. What downtown needs is more police patrolling the streets.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/13/13 - 09:47 pm
You have a mistaken rave

"RAVE FOR THE WORK of Operation Thunder in cutting down on drunk drivers."

I read somewhere in the AC today where they were disappointed in the number of dui cases still being made. I wish I could see the stats on the BAC levels of those arrested. Dollars to donuts the majority are in the .08-.10 range; hardly "drunks" by any measure. The killers are at .15 or better and sneaking around back streets to avoid the dragnets. You can't catch most of them with roadblocks, you have to patrol and observe them weaving down the highway.

countyman
countyman 05/13/13 - 11:10 pm
Public transportation and new restuarants

Last rant.... The city of Augusta desperately needs multiple buses to run between Ft Gordon/downtown. The downtown should have increased patrols(bike and foot), substation on Broad, and cameras. Cities with vibrant downtown's, and viable public transportation systems have a much easier time attracting major companies.

The new Texas Roadhouse restaurant in West Augusta(Sherwood Drive/Washington rd) is moving ahead rather quickly.

The good news is new restaurants and developments which may attract them are opening all over Richmond County. The Cookout in Harrisburg, restaurant next to Farmhaus Burgers in the CBD, and Five Guys in South Augusta. The Walgreens/3 acre development in South Augusta, development in front of Kroger on Washington rd, 10k sq. ft. Shoppes at Dyess at Park off Jimmie Dyess in Southwest Augusta, and 25 acre development in the Medical District... Other developments in the metro include the Longhorn in Aiken, and the new TBonz in Evans.

countyman
countyman 05/13/13 - 11:12 pm
High tech growth exploding across downtown and metro!!

I keep telling people Augusta will become the next Raleigh, and downtown Augusta is the best chance to attract white collar office jobs except for maybe West Augusta. We already have places like ESI(headquarters), Augusta Hackathon/city of Augusta-Rural Sourcing Hackathon during 2013 Westobou festival, and the recently opened Clubhou.se at 816 Broad which is a place for people to collaborate together in the CBD. The Enterprise Mill is located right next to the CBD, and the building is doing extremely well. Rural Sourcing brought 100 IT jobs, ZAPATA Technology is hiring, and now Southpoint Media is opening a new office. The city should try helping the owner of Discovery Plaza(old Fort Discovery) bring in a new medium/large IT company.

I think people can now see why metro Augusta ranked second in terms of high tech job growth between 2006-2011(private sector), and was the 4th best city to live in for 2013. The NSA(4,000 jobs) on Fort Gordon, Starbucks/Rockwood plants(255 jobs) in South Augusta, Cancer Center/Medical Commons in the Medical District, SRS in Aiken County, and Plant Vogtle in Burke County will only help increase the high tech sector.

Southpoint Media announces the opening of its new Augusta location. A ribbon-cutting ceremony will be held Thursday, June 6th at 11 a.m. at historic Enterprise Mill, 1450 Greene Street, Suite 80, Augusta, Georgia 30901.

“Augusta is an emerging high-tech hub and we wanted to be here,” said Morrison. “We see a lot of energy and talent in Augusta, and see a tremendous opportunity to help small business owners promote and grow their companies.”

bumblebeerose
bumblebeerose 05/14/13 - 03:25 am
To the person with the ticket

To the person with the ticket from recent experience (with in the last six months) it will take at least two to three weeks before you know what the ticket will cost you.

If I were you I would call the number on the ticket and ask them how they are basing what the ticket will cost you. When I had to take care of one I was told the cost is based on the last five years of your driving record. If you have had a lot of tickets in the last five years it will cost you more ( at least that is what I was told). The way Richmond County is doing them now that is one reason it takes so long to find out the cost.

Good Luck.

seenitB4 05/14/13 - 05:49 am
WHAT IS GOING ON in Syria is none of our business

Dang...dang...I wish that were true...but some things just won't stay at the beach....yaknow like Bin Laden.

seenitB4 05/14/13 - 05:53 am
To this

I guess the starvation camps left a memory they will never forget...if you bring up red line you really have to stand by your word.

seenitB4 05/14/13 - 05:59 am
Well now...your business is out in the street

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Department secretly obtained two months of telephone records of reporters and editors for The Associated Press in what the news cooperative's top executive called a "massive and unprecedented intrusion" into how news organizations gather the news.

The records obtained by the Justice Department listed outgoing calls for the work and personal phone numbers of individual reporters, for general AP office numbers in New York, Washington and Hartford, Conn., and for the main number for the AP in the House of Representatives press gallery, according to attorneys for the AP. It was not clear if the records also included incoming calls or the duration of the calls.

In all, the government seized the records for more than 20 separate telephone lines assigned to AP and its journalists in April and May of 2012. The exact number of journalists who used the phone lines during that period is unknown, but more than 100 journalists work in the offices where phone records were targeted, on a wide array of stories about government and other matters.

In a letter of protest sent to Attorney General Eric Holder on Monday, AP President and Chief Executive Officer Gary Pruitt said the government sought and obtained information far beyond anything that could be justified by any specific investigation. He demanded the return of the phone records and destruction of all copies.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/14/13 - 06:00 am
To the ranter who got the

To the ranter who got the speeding ticket. There is a 100% guaranteed way to avoid speeding tickets.

seenitB4 05/14/13 - 06:06 am
Unbelievable to me too

Can you say....girlfriend & personal info. will leak now.....yes sir ree...I can see some P-- OED folks ......if they can do it to Petraeus...they will do it to you.

seenitB4 05/14/13 - 06:16 am
Speaking of Petraeus

I wish he would run for President now....I mean how much ugly stuff can they dig up now.....just like Sanford...folks will give you a pass & put you in office...so big boy ...think about it..
I kinda think hefty Chris Christie is going to make a play......he is losing the tonage now....I always liked his style....he won't fold on me like Perry did..he has spunk...some women like spunk!

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/14/13 - 06:22 am
Want to cut down on DUI's

IF, the real object is to cut down on DUI's, then simply put a policeman in front of the bars and have them offer FREE Breathalyzer Tests to drivers.

IF, the real objective is $$$$$ and media headlines then set up DUI checkpoints a block down the street from 10pm to 3am.

Even this would only cut down on the numbers and not eliminate DUI's.
Because nothing is ever 100% effective.

seenitB4 05/14/13 - 06:24 am
To this rant

Where would you like them dropped off? Granmas house or the National gates maybe?
They are just looking for fun on a Saturday night & just got paid...:)

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/14/13 - 07:00 am
There is a 100% guaranteed

There is a 100% guaranteed way to avoid DUI as well.

seenitB4 05/14/13 - 07:13 am
Everytime I read this

I think about anotherdays comment.....That the news media's liplock will come off of Pres O's behind now...hahah lol haha

seenitB4 05/14/13 - 07:33 am
Bangladesh

Sorry folks....but if I see that on the label that article will be placed back on the rack.......enough deaths for me....sickening to me.

Bring our dang jobs back even if it is a few dollars more... GEEZ

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/14/13 - 08:21 am
Cab, not Bus

Countyman posted:

There are cab companies in Augusta with services tailored to Fort Gordon personnel. They'll take you where you want to go and when. Bus service is too constrained and unflexible.

allhans
allhans 05/14/13 - 08:07 am
and for the main number

"......and for the main number for the AP in the House of Representatives press gallery, according to attorneys for AP...."

Yes. I am surprised that more hasn't been said about the AP phone line in the House of Representatives...they are very concerned with what Republicans are up to I guess ....like...any secret being kept there.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/14/13 - 08:11 am
Bus Downtown People to the Fort

Instead of busing the soldiers downtown, we should bus downtown people to the fort. They have a safe environment with lots to do.

seenitB4 05/14/13 - 08:12 am

AC took off that ugly mugg shot of OJ...I got tired of looking at him a loooong time ago....why can't he just fade into the sunset.

Millions of dollars & he threw it all away..

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/14/13 - 08:13 am
Had to Follow SeenIt to Get Here

I had to sneak in the back door, following SeenIt to get to the R and R's. The frontpage door is locked. Anyone else notice that?

seenitB4 05/14/13 - 08:15 am
Now...why in the world

did you think I would be on the r/rs....lol hahah

seenitB4 05/14/13 - 08:21 am
I figured it out

I wondered why the r/rs are my fav place & I finally got it....my mind skips a beat & can't stay on topic....sooo I find this place also skips & no one stays on topic here....& the leeway in comments is another attraction...just wonder though if I can say some "special" words I heard the other night on here....my guess is that I will be swatted with a hammer.....& my nails would be pulled out soooo I hesitate to type them. :)

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/14/13 - 08:30 am
Oh, all the comments the

Oh, all the comments the other day were polite except for one poster. He explained yesterday about the episode that he didn't care what he said if he felt he was right. Yeah, well lots of us use to think that way too until we spent so much time in timeout that they gave us gold watches.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/14/13 - 08:27 am
Something is up with the

Something is up with the North Augusta stadium. There is another meeting tonight about it.

seenitB4 05/14/13 - 08:32 am
True...most were polite comments

And interesting too....because ole Mason will be a key player in Augusta politics....I can just imagine the behind the scene actions going on right now....haha....just don't make the same mistakes you made with Scott....sometimes you really can mess up a 2 car parade.

seenitB4 05/14/13 - 08:37 am
Well...this ain't his radio show

He explained yesterday about the episode that he didn't care what he said if he felt he was right....

Hell..I think I'm right 95% of the time too...but SM doesn't!

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/14/13 - 08:54 am
Ft. Gordon and buses

If the Fort Gordon saw a need for buses, rest assured we'd see Ft. Gordon run buses.

Todays GI has more than the 1940-1970s GI's.
Many own cars and get to park them on post.

Back in the 50's & 60's for an barracks enlisted man to have car on post required special permission, or he parked in the lot outside gate 5 and walked to it.

Unless Ft. Gordon is covering 50%-70% of the TOTAL operational costs, I'd to vote NO.

If there was a profit to be made, bet you bippie the Downtown Businesses would restart the GORDON BUS Service.

seenitB4 05/14/13 - 09:01 am
Things are happening here

and GOB says I need to be part of the action.....weelll now.......this place doesn't pay me enough to stay all day....gotta run...see yall ♥

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 05/14/13 - 09:03 am
R&R link

I fixed the R&R link on the home page.

Shortcomment
Shortcomment 05/14/13 - 10:35 am
What do you call a Government that Spies on the Press?

PARANOID

President Obama and The DOJ have committed the ultimate unforgivable sin in American.

They have violated the 1st amendment.

MCG student, class buy kids' books for Ferguson library

Three weeks after the Missouri grand jury indictment verdict, Ashee Nicole Sharer created a Ferguson wish list on BarnesAndNoble.com, urging classmates to purchase a book for the Ferguson ...