Rants & Raves

I LIVE IN SOUTH Augusta and love it. Someone asked what we do after supper. I said we sit on the front porch and watch cops.

PRESIDENT OBAMA says he wants “commonsense solutions.” Then he spends money that doesn’t even exist.

THE FBI FINDS a woman’s DNA on a pressure cooker and that’s suspicious?

TELL GOV. NATHAN Deal that an ex-con doesn’t need taxpayer help to “transition” out of prison. If Deal would end various state welfare programs, those ex-cons would get hungry and transition themselves to various agricultural (and other) labor jobs. Deal says ex-cons will be “forced back to prison” if Big Brother doesn’t pay up. Is that some kind of blackmail?

DON’T VOTE FOR Gov. Deal in the next election. This entire GRU mess is his fault. The Rolling Thunder Gestapo checkpoints are his fault. We knew he was damaged goods before the election and voted him in because he was a Republican. Let’s make him a one-term governor and save MCG in Augusta.

MEMO TO NATHAN DEAL: If you have any hopes of obtaining votes from the Augusta area, you should terminate Dr. Azziz because I will not be voting for you.

THE BOARD OF REGENTS’ handpicked overlord, Dr. Ricardo Azziz, will probably receive only a slap on the wrist, if that, for his continued misuse of state employees, equipment and the procurement process.

OBAMA SAID FIVE YEARS ago he’d close the prison at Guantanamo – still a bad idea. Meanwhile, he’s still not closed it. That’s not leadership. That’s lying-ship.

RANT FOR OUR commissioners. You are always saying you are short of money for the animal shelter. If you would force people to buy a dog and cat license at $20 a pop and fine people who have a dog or cat without a license $50, you would never have to donate any money to that shelter again.

THE FOOD AND Drug Administration is allowing the morning-after pill to be purchased by 15-year-old girls, but the same FDA wants to regulate energy drinks to people under 21 years old. We are one messed-up country.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/09/13 - 08:13 pm
After reading this list of rants and raves

I have come to the conclusion.

We live in a Government built Pressure Cooker and this section is here to allow us to blow off steam, instead actually doing something.

What else explains:

Gov. Deal still in office,

MCG Azziz still in Augusta,
Azziz not charged with multiple felonies,

The FDA and the federal judges trusting a 15 years with self Abortions but not to purchase a beer or see a R movie,

Politicians campaigning on lies and we knowingly vote for the best liar.

Yep being able to vent likely is keeping the crime rate down.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 05/09/13 - 08:13 pm
"... morning-after pill

(may) ... be purchased by 15-year-old girls, but the same FDA wants to regulate energy drinks to people under 21 years old..."

Abortion is a liberal sacrament, so the pill comes under a religious exemption. As for the drinks, well, liberals believe "your body, your choice" ... only in the case when we make the 'correct' choices.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 05/09/13 - 08:16 pm
Azziz will leave

... about the same time The Obamessiah closes Gitmo.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 05/09/13 - 08:19 pm
"I live in South Augusta

... we sit on the front porch and watch cops."

Really? That must be like butterfly watching in December. Only place cops are more rare is on Riverwatch.

Jake
Jake 05/09/13 - 09:11 pm
#5 Republican candidates

The track record for the CSRA (and much of the South in general) is that you all will vote for a Republican no matter what. Just look at the election of Sanford recently.
Deal will more than likely be re-elected if he chooses to run unless there is another strong Republican candidate out there.
How about taking a look at the other alternatives (Democrat included) before you sign on to the same-old same-old.

Jake
Jake 05/09/13 - 09:18 pm
Sanford

I never believed he was washed-up. He has a great track record in elections. Plus his behavior with the Argentinian women is something that progressive folks will not crucify him for. He may turn out to be a progressive conservative (if there is such a thing) which this country may want in the future.

Darby
Darby 05/09/13 - 11:51 pm
KSL
KSL 05/09/13 - 11:59 pm
I would take Sanford over

I would take Sanford over Deal when it comes to being a governor.

Darby
Darby 05/10/13 - 12:01 am
"OBAMA SAID FIVE YEARS ago he’d close the

prison at Guantanamo"

And he will. He has a secret plan that's certain to work.

As soon as the last terrorist in the place converts to Judaism, he will ship them all to Israel and close the gate on Gitmo.

Do you not see his wisdom shining through?

KSL
KSL 05/10/13 - 01:22 am
I doubt very few of our US

I doubt very few of our US presidents did not have extramarital affairs. History is full of accounts. I hold Clinton responsible for being so arrogant to do so in our Oval Office and right under Hillary's nose, though she probably deserved it.

I wish all of the people elected to public office would set a better example, along with celebrities, all people in the public eye, for the people.

KSL
KSL 05/10/13 - 01:24 am
Especially for those who

Especially for those who don't have parents who can or will do it.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/10/13 - 05:15 am
Brawl on Broad

I noticed in the video of the brawl on Broad St. that one guy had a unique style of fighting, float like a butterfly and then float some more. Interesting that a couple of shots fired stopped that thing cold.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/10/13 - 05:58 am
Maybe is my southern way of

Maybe is my southern way of thinking.

When commenter stated " Someone asked what we do after supper. I said we sit on the front porch and watch cops."

I thought what she meant was "some of us sit on the front porch" and/or "watch cops (meaning the TV show "Cops"). If she said sit on the front porch and watch THE cops.....then I'd be concerned.

leawords
leawords 05/10/13 - 06:26 am
Jake, I'd take

. . .a philandering Republican over a baby-killing, tax-and-spend, tree-hugging, "what-difference-does-it-make," "I-did-not-have-sex-with-that-woman," lying, self-serving, socialist Democrat any day.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/10/13 - 06:49 am
Remember when Obama told us 2

Remember when Obama told us 2 things during his elections.

'When it comes to Abortion that "is" up to a higher power than me.' (we thought he meant GOD, He really meant his wife or the Supreme Court. Both approved so we have 8 month term abortions.)

'The Fact "is", I am not gonna grab our guns'. ( He is the president, he is too busy playing golf and vacationing, he has others like Big Sis to do it for him.'

So, Obama (aka Yo-Mama) really is telling us the truth, we just aren't asking him what the meaning of "IS", is.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/10/13 - 07:03 am
Why GaSouthern Left So Conf (sorry nonsports fans)

SoCon commissioner John Iamarino said after losing Ga Southern and Appalachian State, “No matter how much success we’ve had in football, and we’ve had a lot of it, FCS football doesn’t pay off on a national level the way winning games in the NCAA tournament does for you.
Unfortunately, it’s becoming more and more evident that the one common component of the mid-majors who’ve had some of the greatest success in basketball — Gonzaga, Butler, Davidson — is that they don’t play scholarship football. It’s difficult to find a FCS program that’s also successful in basketball.”

What he is saying is that smaller schools can’t compete with the bigger ones in all sports. Lots more money and fame come to schools who make it into the NCCA basketball tournament, but not so much in the FCS football playoffs.

The Southern Conference is looking to the Davidson model. They have football, but don’t give scholarships in their program. They concentrate their financial resources on basketball. There’s a real possibility the Southern Conference may start to wind down their football scholarships to a level where they won’t be able to get the big money games with Georgia, Florida and so on. With that handwriting on the wall, the Southern Conf. powerhouses were right in looking elsewhere and jumping to the bigtime.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/10/13 - 07:47 am
"Nightlife" Downtown

Some, including the Chronicle, have glamorized the “nightlife” as revitalizing downtown. One even said the bars should be open until 5am if you can believe that. But a major business owner in the city has told me the nightlife is not revitalizing downtown in any positive way.

The owner said, “Most of the bars cater to nothing but low level trash. Fights happen all the time.” I was told to come view the situation after 10pm any night.

“These are not decent folks out having fun, they are the bottom of the barrel out to see what kind of mischief they can get into. This certainly is a turn off to out of town conventioneers!”

allhans
allhans 05/10/13 - 08:01 am
Before I decide to vote for

Yes, Jake. Before I cast a vote for someone other than Deal, I will have to know more....
Deal might be better than the alternative....

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/10/13 - 08:18 am
Broad Street Ramble in October

There is the Broad St. Ramble, a running event held in October. I was reading the story today titled the 5th Street Bridge Hump. I wonder if the hump will have an effect on the running event?

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/10/13 - 08:53 am
TODAYS FED RANT.

The Government now owns it.
The group of hi-tech techies that like guns designed and released a 3D blueprint to make 3D Gun parts out of hi-impact plastic. The parts are able to withstand being shot 100's to 1000's of times.

Using 3D plastic printers ranging in price from $400++, a person could purchase the materials and produce their own replacement parts at home.

The Government not having control, immediately went into panic mode and used a convenient law to declare ownership of the Blueprints and the technology.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/10/13 - 08:59 am
@ICL

I took the porch comment to mean they live in an area with a lot of criminal activity.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/10/13 - 08:59 am
Sit on the porch & watch the cops

I am soo thankful I can't say that...but I will say I am thankful we have a great police force here (Gwinnett County) & thanks to Rtree & company for staying on top of the Riverwalk crime....& most of all thanks to the donor of the $10,000.

harley_52
harley_52 05/10/13 - 09:03 am
justthefacts
justthefacts 05/10/13 - 09:05 am
harley

Ditto

harley_52
harley_52 05/10/13 - 09:11 am
Night Life Downtown...

Though I haven't participated in many years, I suspect it's like it's always been. Certain establishments cater to certain crowds. The fact of the matter is that husbands and wives have never made it a practice to hang out until the wee hours of the morning in places where a bunch of rowdy drunks hang out. I suspect things downtown are actually tamer than they were forty-fifty years ago when packs of young GIs headed to (or just returning from) Vietnam would get into enough mischief that Fort Gordon MPs would routinely patrol the downtown bars.

If you've got a nice date, or a nice wife you want to entertain you've got to pick your place. I suspect it's the same today.

blytheresident
blytheresident 05/10/13 - 09:31 am
Sit on the porch and watch cops...

don't forget the glass of sweet tea!

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/10/13 - 09:35 am
Oh me--oh my

When I read the comments on these articles..haha..the first thing that pops in my mind is..
They really don't pay Sean enough money for this..♥

But it does make it fun though!! seeyall later

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/10/13 - 09:40 am
OPEN QUESTION ABOUT A Gov. Deal Promise

From my comment 7-21-12 (LAST YEAR)

Regarding TSLPOST
"The Governor wants this so bad, he has even offered to remove the GA 400 Toll Booths "next" year."

Well it is NEXT YEAR.
Has he lived up to that promise ATLANTA?

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/10/13 - 09:41 am
blytheresident

Good luck with the new Library...my sweet granmama was raised in Blythe....so I know what goodness comes from that place.

blytheresident
blytheresident 05/10/13 - 09:50 am
Night Life Downtown....

Sorry but I don't even go downtown. Much less after dark and haven't for over 20 yrs. Augusta just had to have Riverwalk...well we got it and now look at it.....can't even use it because of all the thugs hanging out down there. The last time my hubby and I went down there with our small kids we encountered numerous couples making out (not just kissing either) and we were approached by several wanting money. We haven't been back since.

Bars downtown....that is asking for trouble. When you put that many establishments together in a small area that serves alcohol you are asking for trouble.

I remember when Riverwalk was being built with the hopes of drawing more travel to the downtown area. After the events of the past few weeks and all the shootings happening down there since they started First Friday (never been and don't plan to go) who would want to go down there? There has never been enough lighting or security there since it was built. Budget cuts hit and most of the time it is too over grown and trashy. Over 20 million was spent on that project and look at it now a safe haven for criminals.

Goat project looking good

In just more than a week since nine goats were assigned to eat overgrown vegetation at an Augusta detention pond, officials and area residents are already noticing a difference.