Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

ONLY IN AMERICA would people here illegally get away with protesting our immigration policy. Our leaders stink.

IT USED TO BE if you broke the law you would get punished and then could pay your debt to society and move on. Not anymore. We might as well just pass a law that if you commit any crime you’re incarcerated for life. Even when we release people we punish them by sticking them with a record that makes them pretty much unemployable. And then people wonder why they wind up re-offending.

MARTHA KING DOES an excellent job at Augusta Cares. She responded well whenever I called. Now that there are seven service representatives, I hope that it does not end up a bureaucratic organization failing to serve the customers well. If they listen to Martha while being trained, we will be all right. Thanks, Martha, for all you have done over the years.

I DO MOST OF MY purchases online – not to save on sales tax as lawmakers would ask you to believe, but to keep from dealing with uncaring sales clerks. Retail stores don’t get it! They spend millions of dollars to get you into their store, and 10 cents to have you served in a professional manner. I traveled 40 miles today to purchase an advertised item from a well-known “any kind of tool-cheap” store only to be told, “Sorry, we’re out of those” without a bit of responsibility taken. Sooner or later, your worst employee will wait on your best customer.

VIOLENCE, GORE AND gunplay persisted on prime-time TV shows right after the Newtown school shooting, according to the Parents Television Council. It looks like the media executives are not willing to change and accept responsibility for their part in the gun violence. Banning guns is not the only answer.

PRESIDENT OBAMA had FBI training manuals “altered to remove references to radical jihad.” What other insanity has he done that we’ve not been told about?

IF YOU WANT TO curb alcohol abuse in teenagers, when you arrest the teen, you arrest the parents. I guarantee it will work.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/08/13 - 07:49 pm
About the Blythe Library

I agree with the rant, but will extend it to all brick and mortar libraries. If the intent is to get books and reference information to as many people as possible, online libraries are best. They are not only more economical, but more effective.

countyman
19057
countyman 05/09/13 - 01:40 am
Private construction in West Augusta

I think I've learned the new location of the Texas Roadhouse restaurant(Sherwood Drive/Washington rd)coming to West Augusta. The location is right between the Zaxbys, planned strip center(Pho Bac restaurant), and hotels.

Still waiting on the Cook Out restaurant on Walton Way near Harrisburg, development behind Buffalo Wild Wings in the Augusta Exchange, property in front of Kroger on Washington rd in West Augusta, Walgreens/3 acre development on Tobacco/Windsor Spring in South Augusta to ramp up.

I guess the private developers investing into Augusta, don't read the Augusta Chronicle lol. According to some people Augusta is this dangerous city. The FBI crime rates mean nothing, and the only thing that matters is the recent crimes in the media. I can't blame some people, because they may live 15-20 miles away. They have to rely on the local media, and our media always sensationalizes anything at the mall, downtown, etc. The media doesn't even give South Augusta credit for anything, because it's too black for them. They even report more positive things about downtown than South Augusta. Don't expect to hear anything negative about Martinez/Evans. I'm sure if Richmond County wasn't consolidated they would treat West Augusta, Summerville, and Forest Hills the same way.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/09/13 - 03:44 am
Question for Countyman

Countyman said, "Don't expect to hear anything negative about Martinez/Evans."

I'm curious, why do you think that is?

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/09/13 - 06:16 am
MARTHA KING DOES an excellent

MARTHA KING DOES an excellent job at Augusta Cares.

I agree.
She has handled several problems in Goshen with speed and finesse.

She one of the ARC employees that understands her job, and does it, and makes sure it was done right.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/09/13 - 06:17 am
I wonder

I wonder if countyman gets paid for the wee morning posts on here....
doya?

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/09/13 - 06:32 am
I wish I had some happy pills

For some reason I am mentally tired this am....could it be the nonesense crime that we read about day in & day out...yeh...I think so...here in this area too......for instance..

They have spent millions on a belt line walkway around Atlanta & guess what.....some 2cent punks are robbing & threatening walkers/runners......they will have to enforce this beautiful walkway with police on horses & etc...just to make it halfway safe for walking... & I wonder...do we have any safe places anymore....

When I turn on tv I see that young women were held as sex slaves for YEARS...YEARS....beaten & tortured ....this isn't the same world I remember in my childhood....or am I dreaming..

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/09/13 - 06:35 am
"THE MAYOR OF Blythe is

"THE MAYOR OF Blythe is trying to build a library."

EVERY TOWN NEEDS A LIBRARY.

I too have commented on the viability of Brick and mortar Libraries in this electronic age. But some locations lean themselves better to paper than E-books. Blythe still has that small town clean feel I don't see it becoming a hobo hangout or allowing it to happen under a vale of Political Correctness like larger towns.

If the folks want a Library, and the town budget can handle a library.
Let them have a library.

Regarding WIFI in the park.
You must forget that we have 100+ degree Summers and 14-40 degree winters that would preclude a WIFI Park concept.

BOOKS
If they need books, I have plenty and I will donation a lot of:

800+
and 900 D.D.S. section subject books.
an I have a handful of section 200 books I am willing part with.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/09/13 - 06:39 am
Let Blythe have a library

That is a safe haven for many kids.....& yes ...some still love the feel of a good book...I know I do.
Reading has made some very rich....not just in knowledge either.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/09/13 - 06:47 am
IF YOU WANT TO curb _____

IF YOU WANT TO curb _____ abuse in teenagers,... arrest the teen, ...arrest the parents.

Start inserting other common problems into the space provided and you quickly see, the jails will be full on parents.

Who is going to feed the other kids in the family?
Who is going to make the house, car, etc.. payments?
How long before parents lock their kids in the house to avoid going to jail?

Yes parent have civil responsibilities, but not criminal responsibilities in most cases. Kids are born knowing everything, as parents each of us pray they survive until maturity.

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 05/09/13 - 06:52 am
It's 2013

if you don't know by know that being a criminal will always hold you back, it's no wonder you are a criminal. How many times has it been said? "stay in school, get an education, get a job, and don't break the law!" It's as simple as that. And WE didn't stick them with a record, THEY stuck themselves with it. If you don't want the stigma that comes along with being a criminal, then don't be a criminal.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 05/09/13 - 07:07 am
Safe in Awguster

Neither I nor many of the posters here have ever said other areas/cities don't have any crime problems. In fact I just moved TO Richmond County. But just once I would like to see countyman admit that we have the SAME problems other areas have.

It would be great if ARC was the crime free eutopia some wish it was.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/09/13 - 07:16 am
Without illegal immigration

Without illegal immigration Mexico would have a civil war in 5 years.

We are their pressure valve.

If I was to suggest a simple Immigration law change.
Copy Mexico's and other Central American countries policies.

They EXPEL illegals, don't allow them to vote, own property, demonstrate, no free medical, and most of all NO TAXPAYER funded assistance use is permitted.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 05/09/13 - 07:51 am
Good Morning All & You Too America

Wasted 4 hours yesterday siting on my butt watching Benghazi BS. At the end, even though they find the Hammer & Sickle Man and gang were totally involved with the murders of 4 good Americans, What will be done? NOTHING

Same action as the Clinton's morality destruction, only this time it will set in motion that it is OK to kill in America, if your a Democat, that is.

countyman
19057
countyman 05/09/13 - 08:02 am
Riverman. The demographics of

Riverman... The demographics of Martinez and Evans are similar to the majority of the local media.

Seenitb4... I don't get paid to comment on here, and somebody must present both the negative and positive. The local media is mostly focused on 'if it bleeds it leads', and the public needs to see other sides of Augusta.

ColdBeer... I think anybody can see the majority of the media in Augusta is white and republican. I'm sure politics do play a important role, but let's not act like some media outlets don't treat working class/lower middle class/middle class majority black areas different.

Ask yourself when do you hear anything related to South Augusta in the news usually besides crime?

There's no way the largest area(population) can't have anything positive happening.

Roadkilll... I do admit we have problems, and if you notice I only respond when people exaggerate about the crime rate, etc... I would never respond if somebody on here commented that East Augusta has major problems.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/09/13 - 08:03 am
Library

I've got some books I'd be glad to donate to the new Blythe library. Of course they're a little on the right wing.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/09/13 - 08:17 am
Snobbishness

Countyman posted:

Why not, Countyman? Don't the people of East Augusta matter to you? Do you look down upon them? Do you not want to help them?

countyman
19057
countyman 05/09/13 - 08:22 am
Reality

Nice try, but even the residents of East Augusta will admit the area has a long way too go. Even Laney Walker and Harrisburg are much further along in terms of attracting residents.

The expansion of PCS, new Hagler Systems building(jobs), and the $30 million Walton Oaks residential community is a good start. The next steps could include demolishing Marion homes, continue working with SRK to provide recreational activities on the water, new residential, demolishing East Augusta Commons(River Glenn is worse but private), and extending the Riverwalk.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/09/13 - 08:35 am
Funny thing

I just watched Nancy Grace on tv...she said almost the exact words we are saying on here....
That this is a different world today....of course she was mainly talking about the murder case on tv & the girls held prisoners for years.....but her words were....I wish I didn't have to tell my kids to watch out for EVERYTHING....to be aware always....but I do she said....too bad we can't ride our bike in freedom like the days of years ago....she said she remembered riding a bike & her mom didn't worry about kidnapping danger or murder..or bat beatings while sitting on a bench......she is an attorney & has seen the worst & the best...

So I ask...WHAT HAS CHANGED....be honest & why can't we get to the bottom of it....is it the pc world of today...is it the school system....is it the law....is it the revolving jail system...is it the liberal thinking or the hard nose Reps....too many guns or not enough guns....too many babies without daddies...too much welfare????????

Instead of having a meeting on Riverwalk at early am hours...do what a reader said & have it at midnight.......have the commish go toAugusta Mall on the weekend & see what is going on...have a meeting there......go out to Meadowbrook & meet there....we are dancing around the problem..

My mind needs a rest...so yall have at it...

dichotomy
dichotomy 05/09/13 - 09:05 am
countyman....."The FBI crime

countyman....."The FBI crime rates mean nothing, and the only thing that matters is the recent crimes in the media."

That is a true statement countyman. First, the recent crimes being reported in the media are particularly personal in that they involved personal confrontation, being beaten, some horrific injuries, involved injuries to a female, and are pretty much THE nightmare of anyone who has even considered attending an event downtown after dark.

Second, the FBI statistics for RC really do not mean anything. Even if the statistics say overall crime in RC is down, or level, that is a county wide statistic. If you are living in a formerly, relatively crime free area and now you are seeing crime moving into your area because of "redevelopment" and displacement of those populations through Section 8.......to you crime is going UP. The county wide rate may be level or even down a little bit but the crime "relocation" is VERY noticeable to us on the south end of the county. When you live in an area where there used to be NONE and now there are little red map tacks all around you on the weekly crime map....that is crime going UP as far as you are concerned. County wide statistics mean NOTHING. I can keep a large area of the county fairly safe too if I move all of the criminals to one area and keep most of the police protection in the "safe" zone.

So while all of the statements you make and statistics you quote may be true.....TO ME and my neighbors crime is UP in this end of the county. AND it don't take but one or two beatings and head bashings downtown to make me proclaim that I WILL NOT be downtown at night unless absolutely necessary and I WILL absolutely be armed, vigilant, and prepared to shoot anyone invading my safe zone.....especially if my wife is with me.

JRC2024
JRC2024 05/09/13 - 09:09 am
On line purchaser-Why did you

On line purchaser-Why did you not call to see if the tool was there. That would be the smart thing to do before you drove 40 miles. Stores do sell out. That was your fault.
If you do not want the stigma of being a criminal then act right. It is your choice and nobody did it to you but your dumb self.

harley_52
22064
harley_52 05/09/13 - 09:32 am
"I'm curious, why do you think that is?"

Well, you didn't ask me, but I'll give my two cents anyway.

I think it's simply that there aren't any ARC posters in here that delight in slinging mud at , or mocking, somebody else's county/city of residence.

ARC has problems. ARC residents don't deny that. ARC residents try to encourage their government to fix problems for which government is responsible. When South Augusta residents P&M about their problems with the distribution of government spending on their part of town vs. taxing, they have a dog in the hunt. It's their money. Such is not the case for the mud slinging from residents of Columbia county, Aiken county, or elsewhere.

I've made this comment a couple of times before. It's like a family. Brothers and sisters (and parents) might fight like cats and dogs at home, but let somebody outside the family start picking on one of them and watch the reaction from the rest of the family.

As a long time ARC resident, I could scour the newspapers looking for derogatory information about happenings in Columbia county, or Aiken county, and then run in here and rub it in. They do have occasional problems, you know.

It just seems silly, pointless, and often rude. There may be occasions where it makes sense, but generally it seems simply to be gratuitous and petty.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/09/13 - 09:48 am
JRC, calling ahead of time to

JRC, calling ahead of time to see if they have the tool might help but does not necessarily guarantee that when you get there they still have it. Some have no compassion...."nobody did it to your but your dumb self". In society there are those who make bad choices and learn from their mistake but we live in a world were people want to keep pushing you down so they look or feel superior. It's called condemnation.

To the ranter....please seek a church who can offer you phone numbers and agencies which can help get you (or whomever you are referring to) back on your feet again. There are some company or businesses that do hire ex-felons (I believe Chick-fil-a is one of them) through rehabilitation programs. May not be a full time job but it's a start.

augrichgal
augrichgal 05/09/13 - 10:16 am
South Augusta has become

South Augusta has become depressing. You have to go toward Wheeler Road/Washington Road to do anything. No decent chains want to set up in South Augusta, vamp up the police presence not tie them to checkpoints to reduce the "thugs" that want to burglarize or do harm and maybe out city can come alive again. Before anyone zones in on "thugs", I use that term not racially, but ANY PERSON that vandalizes, burglarizes, harms another human. White, black, green, purple. The only areas that get cleaned up is the route Masters traffic takes.

daphne3520
daphne3520 05/09/13 - 10:41 am
Second Rant....Yep, if ya got a "Rap Sheet," in this

day and age and geographical area, you're litterally unemployable! Peace, Out! And, I SAID LITERALLY, NOT virtually!

blytheresident
blytheresident 05/09/13 - 10:46 am
Blythe Library....

To the person hiding behind the computer ranting about: THE MAYOR OF Blythe is trying to build a library when Blythe doesn’t need a library. All she needs to do is turn the park into a Wi-Fi hot spot. All research and info someone would need is on the Internet. This mayor is out of date, and it’s time for change come November.

1st let me inform you of a few facts.....the project wasn't the Mayor's idea. The idea and all the research into funding/grants for this project was done by a private resident that lives in Blythe and attends the city Council Meetings. Come to a meeting and request how the Library Project is being funded.

2nd Residents voted on this project. Where were you? Home hiding behind the computer?

3rd The City of Blythe and surrounding area will be allowed to use this Library. Also, Blythe has a large number of elderly and low income families living in it. Most of those individuals don't have or can't afford all the latest and greatest electronic gadgets you have. With the Library we will have computers for residents to use.

4th If you would ready on the bottom of your water bill every month OR ride by City Hall and look on the sign you will see the date and time of all City of Blythe meetings....get off your butt and out from behind the computer and come face to face to all of us residents and voice your objections.

5th This project isn't being paid for by the City of Blythe!!!!! Get your fact straight!

I will also assume you are the same person that has said we don't need the Library...that we need sidewalks.....once again get off the computer hiding and come voice your opinion. Do like the rest of us go to a meeting. You want to see something done or changed them come put it on record in front of the Mayor, City Council and other residents that take time out of their life to let their voice be heard. Oh and if you are the same one that said something about our roads out here...Richmond County handles that not the City of Blythe.

You want WiFi at the park come to a meeting and speak up. Like the rest of us.

Don't sit there hating on a Mayor that is trying to better our little town. You want changes then bring those changes to a meeting. I have voiced several changes myself and will say almost every single on has happen...and that is because I voiced my opinion at the right place in front of the right people...not here on The Augusta Chronicle.

blytheresident
blytheresident 05/09/13 - 11:04 am
Blythe Library....

The Blythe library is being funded by SPLOST V and the Memorial Park that is being built also is funded by SPLOST VI! You would know this if you attended a meeting and neither project just happen....this is has been in the planning and voting stage for several years now! Again if you attended a meeting you would know this!

countyman
19057
countyman 05/09/13 - 11:21 am
South Augusta

Augrichgirl... South Augusta is doing pretty good in terms of attracting commercial investments lately. The only areas much further ahead would be West Augusta, CBD, Evans, and Aiken.

The new commercial developments in South Augusta could stack up against Martinez/North Augusta, and definitely Grovetown.

Five Guys, Hampton Inn hotel(Hilton brand), Walgreens/3 acre development, remodeling of the Walmart on Deans Bridge, etc. I hope the rumor of the 24 hr Denny on Peach Orchard becomes true.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/09/13 - 11:49 am
GEORGIA IS BETTER

GEORGIA has lower unemployment than:

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA 8.5
MICHIGAN 8.5
INDIANA 8.7
NEW JERSEY 9.0
RHODE ISLAND 9.1
NORTH CAROLINA 9.2
CALIFORNIA 9.4
MISSISSIPPI 9.4
ILLINOIS 9.5
NEVADA 9.7

Of course 39 states have less then us.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/09/13 - 12:06 pm
blytheresident - QUESTION.

Some of us have offered to donate books from our private libraries and be good neighbors. We don't live in or near Blythe, just on the South Side?

Who do we contact to donate & help?

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/09/13 - 01:43 pm
About Libraries

We often have these discussions of online libraries v. brick and mortar ones. Every reason given for keeping the old fashion kind relates to having a nice air conditioned place to study with computers and so on. That's well and fine and can be provided by something similar to community centers, but as far as being able to check out books and provide research info, online libraries reach more people with more resources at a much lower cost.