Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I HAVE NO CONNECTION with Augusta State or MCG, but I am a taxpayer and I want to know what public official is supposed to be overseeing the spending of characters like Azziz?

THIS IS A RAVE for the person that turned in the $80 I left in the ATM at Wells Fargo on Reynolds. I really appreciate it, and hope it comes back to you tenfold!

THE FBI KEEPS TABS on an individual coming back from living in Russia. Turns out this person commits a crime against the United States upon his return. Only this time, it isn’t the year 2013 and the Boston Marathon Bomber. It’s Lee Harvey Oswald, the assassin of JFK, 50 years ago.

TARGET STORE AT Augusta Exchange needs a cart corral on the side of the building. Carts are scattered everywhere along the building and even on grassy areas.

ENGINE CO. NO. 7, corner Central Avenue and Troupe Street, has two large shrubs along the roadside that would look better if cut down.

RE: OPERATION Rolling Thunder: They told you they were out to get you, yet you keep on drinking and driving. Stupid is as stupid does!

RANT TO ALL OF YOU who post such disrespectful, ignorant and useless comments after most of the news articles on The Chronicle’s Web site. You do it because you can be anonymous, but you just make yourself and our community look foolish. Have some class.

AMERICA’S POPULATION has doubled in the last 50 years. Immigration into our country must end or we will be the size of India. The Inn is full!

THIS IS A RAVE FOR all the nurses and staff of 7 South at GRHU (MCG). During a two-week stay recently, I could not have encountered such caring, kind and friendly people. I want them all to know they made a difference. Thanks, 7 South!

ISN’T IT JUST LIKE THE liberal media to make a “hero” out of the anti-Christian announcement of a professional basketball player coming out of the closet? The main media just loves to find out things that go against Christianity and try to convince everyone that it is the new way of life.

harley_52
harley_52 05/07/13 - 12:26 pm
"Trying to put my finger on it why the crime seems worse....

.... in downtown Augusta than in other cities I see a couple of factors."

whyme
whyme 05/07/13 - 01:14 pm
interesting...

The posters that tend to put judgemental, speculative, or flat-out useless comments on here are the ones that didn't take kindly to the rant about them. Duh, me! Of course they wouldn't! But you have to know as soon as you hit "save comment" that what you've written is less than charitable in many cases yet you do it anyway because you can. And the paper encourages it. Sad state of affairs we're in these days.

countyman
20149
countyman 05/07/13 - 01:31 pm
Facts

The crime in downtown Augusta is definitely not worse than the majority of cities.

There have been zero homicides in multiple years in the CBD, and the recent number of violent crimes is very low over the past few months.

countyman
20149
countyman 05/07/13 - 01:49 pm
Facts

Augrichgirl... Where are the facts to show crime is up? Homicides are only one type of crime, but we only have three so far in Richmond County..

This person is the poster child of the media relations in Augusta. Any type of crime at the Augusta mall, Riverwalk, etc is sensationalize every single time. Numerous articles, interviews, etc paid attention to one incident.

The Chronicle did a story on the amount of crime over a one year period in the shopping areas of Augusta. I will give them credit for this article, and the number one crime at the mall is shoplifting. I truly believe Augrichgirl is probably really scared of being mugged, and it shows the difference between reality.

When is the last time something happen at the Riverwalk? How does one crime in several months make the area totally unsafe?

The media is just scaring people for no reason instead of actually trying to improve the situation.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/07/13 - 01:55 pm
Harley

"Seems worse to who? Not to me. Is there data available to prove it, or is it just a "feeling" you have?"

From reading the articles and comments, I believe using the word "seems" is justified. But I didn't claim to be presenting data. I was discussing perceptions. Of course you said it doesn't seem that way to you so my opinion and those of others is not unanimous it appears.

Harley, did you see the video of the brawl on Broad St.?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/07/13 - 02:06 pm
Nobody's commenting on it any more,

but there is a Susan McCord story today about tonight's commissioin meeting. The story says they are going to discuss the Riverwalk violence and the dilapidated seed mill.

I looked at the agenda at augustaga.gov and saw that they're also primed to approve almost $600,000 change order to the Marble Palace remodeling. And Marion Williams has a discussion to give raises to everyone in the utilities department. I guess Augusta has money to burn.

KSL
KSL 05/07/13 - 02:19 pm
County

One is too many. Two incidents within 12 hours? I certainly hope this is not a trend.

harley_52
harley_52 05/07/13 - 02:32 pm
Riverman...

No, I didn't see the brawl video. I've seen brawls before, however. Heck, I've even participated in a few.

I don't know if the violence in Augusta's CBD is worse than other places, or not. I'm neither agreeing it is, nor claiming it isn't. I don't know. I don't think there are similar areas in Columbia county. Maybe downtown Aiken can be compared reasonably, I'm no expert.

Yes, there are occasional attacks on citizens. I don't like them any better than the next guy. I'm just not convinced there's anything special about downtown Augusta. It seems to me society in general is a lot worse than it used to be and that people are foolish for placing themselves in dangerous situations, especially if they are unarmed and unable to protect themselves.

Yes, you did say "seems." That's why I asked. It seems to me that lots of negativity about ARC seems to you and I'm usually scratching my head as to why.

countyman
20149
countyman 05/07/13 - 02:33 pm
Facts

The fight on Broad street was real bad, but other cities don't even come to a stop over shootings and stabbings. Instead of scaring people let's help improve the situation. The media is acting like East Augusta and the CBD have the same crime rate.

KSL... 200,000 in Richmond County and close to 600,000 in metro Augusta.

augrichgal
augrichgal 05/07/13 - 02:41 pm
Countyman- I agree we are

Countyman-

I agree we are lower than bigger cities, we do not compare to them. For our size we need more intervention before the juveniles become felons. More police presence at our parks, shopping areas. Operation Thunder was good but do not over kill.

You are correct I do not want to be the victim of a crime AGAIN.

Media may over report, but there are truths in the "story". However, that is not where I formed my opinion from.

I think I may have struck a cord.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/07/13 - 02:56 pm
My Goals

I'm all for improving the situation. That's exactly why I'm offering my advice about first securing the Riverwalk and Broad St. Put an emphasis on the places people know about and visit. The bottom line is a fight on Broad St is much worse than one on East Boundary in the public's mind. As some of you may know I'm a supporter of Sheriff Roundtree since he won the election because I believe he can make a difference. I know some of his advisors read these comments and I want to throw out ideas and listen to others suggesting ways to make things better.

As few others have done, I actually lived in Charleston, Columbia, Savannah, Fayetteville and Dothan, AL in addition to some other larger cities in other parts of the country thanks to the Army. Thus I believe I bring something to the table. Sure there are parts of those cities that aren't safe, but their special areas are safe is my point. If Riverwalk and Broad St in that area are not special, I don't know what is.

harley_52
harley_52 05/07/13 - 02:56 pm
KSL
KSL 05/07/13 - 03:01 pm
Saturday was the first time I

Saturday was the first time I had been on Broad St. downtown. I was saddened to see how many storefronts, etc have gone away since the early 70's when we first frequented the area. I am distresses for the cbd.

I think a lot must have to do with leadership factions and their inability to work together for what is best for Augusta and Richmond Co as a whole.

harley_52
harley_52 05/07/13 - 03:04 pm
There's Only One Thing.....

....that will put a stop to that sort of thing. Law enforcement. Tough cops and tough judges. There needs to be a visible (and invisible) police presence and they need to make their presence known. The brawl went on way too long and, apparently, the police weren't even aware of it until it was posted. Looks to me like those were mainly teenagers, or perhaps early 20s people just looking for trouble. The Sheriff can stop it, if he tries.

unbiased_propaganda
unbiased_propaganda 05/07/13 - 03:28 pm
To the last rant complaining about the media....

You're kidding right? It was all over Fox News just as much as any other news station. And they were all praising his courage. No matter what you think about homosexuality, there is no room for bigotry in today's modern world.

I'm was born and raised Christian - and believe in Jesus Christ and his word in the Bible. But I also believe in human decency and respect. There are numerous 'sins' that are made by people on a consistent basis I'm sure you have NO problem with and NEVER say anything about. But when it comes to someone's sexual preference and you see people giving that person respect - it just makes you wanna yell insults and throw rocks huh?

Let's act like it's 2013.

harley_52
harley_52 05/07/13 - 03:54 pm
"Let's act like it's 2013."

What does that mean?

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/07/13 - 06:19 pm
Why do people say "I was born

Why do people say "I was born and raised Christian"? You are not born a Christian, and you can be raised in a Christian environment but you can not be raised Christian. If you profess Christ as your Lord then you are a Christian and it troubles me that you would think you are suppose to give respect to sin. " But when it comes to someone's sexual preference and you see people giving that person respect " I do not believe in yelling insults or demeaning someone because of their sin (whatever that sin may be) but neither would I advise (as a believer) that we should respect ours or anyone else's sinful behavior.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/07/13 - 06:22 pm
And just to clarify.....I

And just to clarify.....I didn't read anywhere in the comment where the "ranter" wanted to yell insults or throw rocks. Have no clue where that comment came from and I'd also like to know what it means to act like it's 2013?

Group demands hearing on commissioner appointment

City leaders appeared to warm to a request Monday by the West Augusta Alliance to hold one or more public hearings before appointing an interim District 7 commissioner to serve until Donnie ...