Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I HAVE NO CONNECTION with Augusta State or MCG, but I am a taxpayer and I want to know what public official is supposed to be overseeing the spending of characters like Azziz?

THIS IS A RAVE for the person that turned in the $80 I left in the ATM at Wells Fargo on Reynolds. I really appreciate it, and hope it comes back to you tenfold!

THE FBI KEEPS TABS on an individual coming back from living in Russia. Turns out this person commits a crime against the United States upon his return. Only this time, it isn’t the year 2013 and the Boston Marathon Bomber. It’s Lee Harvey Oswald, the assassin of JFK, 50 years ago.

TARGET STORE AT Augusta Exchange needs a cart corral on the side of the building. Carts are scattered everywhere along the building and even on grassy areas.

ENGINE CO. NO. 7, corner Central Avenue and Troupe Street, has two large shrubs along the roadside that would look better if cut down.

RE: OPERATION Rolling Thunder: They told you they were out to get you, yet you keep on drinking and driving. Stupid is as stupid does!

RANT TO ALL OF YOU who post such disrespectful, ignorant and useless comments after most of the news articles on The Chronicle’s Web site. You do it because you can be anonymous, but you just make yourself and our community look foolish. Have some class.

AMERICA’S POPULATION has doubled in the last 50 years. Immigration into our country must end or we will be the size of India. The Inn is full!

THIS IS A RAVE FOR all the nurses and staff of 7 South at GRHU (MCG). During a two-week stay recently, I could not have encountered such caring, kind and friendly people. I want them all to know they made a difference. Thanks, 7 South!

ISN’T IT JUST LIKE THE liberal media to make a “hero” out of the anti-Christian announcement of a professional basketball player coming out of the closet? The main media just loves to find out things that go against Christianity and try to convince everyone that it is the new way of life.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/06/13 - 08:35 pm
We don't set out to make our community look foolish.

The problem is, it is Target rich environment and try as we might we can't miss.

BTW: What was your name Anonymous Ranter?

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/06/13 - 08:36 pm
AMERICA’S POPULATION has doubled in the last 50 years.

Wow! I heard sex causes that to happen.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/06/13 - 09:47 pm
I would comment, but I'm

I would comment, but I'm afraid it might be disrespectful, ignorant and useless.

Jake
Jake 05/06/13 - 10:27 pm
@Riverman1

Go ahead, most of the comments fall into that category.

Maybe a subject will come up when you can share another of your family tales that are interesting. I like to read those.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/07/13 - 05:06 am
Operation Thunder v. Walking Thunder Downtown

Others have noted the disconnect of police resources being concentrated on road checkpoints out in the county while gangs are running rampant on Broad St. and people are hit in the head with baseball bats on Riverwalk. I have to agree there is a disconnect and assets have to be used where they are needed most and that appears to be downtown.

The RCSO spokesman says Sheriff Roundtree and officers are working diligently to stop the crimes downtown. That’s a good refocusing where it should be. Gov. Deal is missing the point when he assigns all the extra officers here for Rolling Thunder. It should be Walking Thunder with officers from all over the state, on foot, concentrating on the downtown area.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 05/07/13 - 06:33 am
Balance

A balance of the allocation of Deputies is what is needed. Yes let the Traffic Division do it's job. Also, let's put the Crime Supression Team on Riverwalk in plainclothes. We don't really need to see the Deputies, we just need to know they are there. I remember when Beck was Sheriff and there was always a rash of robberies just before Christmas at convenience stores. He put deputies in convenience stores with orders shoot to kill. It was amazing, a few dumb &$* were caught but the robberies came to a halt. Why not put male and female Deputies in plainclothes on Riverwalk and Broad St at night and clean it up?

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/07/13 - 07:04 am
Beck got things done...didn't he..:)

I remember those days coldbeer.....shoot to kill orders & they MEANT what they said....it stopped a lot of baddies in their tracks....just what is needed today & forget the pc....how can anyone "THINK" someone coming at you with a gun should be given another chance....a chance at what....to kill again....either clean up the riffrafff or give the city over to them...you can't keep turning a blind eye to this.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/07/13 - 07:05 am
In fact

I would like to see a few officers with a metal bat ......just a swinging.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/07/13 - 07:10 am
To this

Why should we change just for today>?

Don't like us.....tune in somewhere else..:):) like the RADIO..haha

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/07/13 - 07:15 am
Atlanta Mayor

It seems the Mayor in the beeeg city has had enough.....enough car jacking----enough phone grabbing---enough punks being punks....he said he would put the resources behind his words.....& he would stop it...FINALLY a Mayor has decided it is killing business downtown & he will put his boot in someone's rear end.........thankya Mayor Reed.

Your turn Roundtree & Deke!

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/07/13 - 07:20 am
Freddie....where are yoooouuuuu

Don't make me call Freddie Sanders for this job.....:)

Adam Bomb
Adam Bomb 05/07/13 - 07:44 am
What's wrong?

First, the Sheriff referring to his deputies as Police. We got rid of the Richmond county Police years ago.
What's wrong with America is that the people have no fear or respect for the Police (Deputies, etc.) Back in the day if a young person misbehaved the beat cop would give them a "bop on the head" and take them home to their parents. One of the parents could be depended upon to issue the proper corporal punishment. "Cheesit the cop" was the phrase used whenever one was up to something not quite right and the beat cop was around. Of course when the bleeding heart politicians changed the law that practice became illegal so more young people are arrested with felony records these days and the cop could be personally sued for that. The beat cop was the law and the country was a better place. So what's better? A bop on the head and a quick trip home or getting sent to a place like RYDC?

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 05/07/13 - 08:15 am
Mama asked me to take her downtown for Mother's Day

I hated to tell her no, and had to explain that it's not safe right now.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/07/13 - 08:18 am
Don't be jealous

But I now own a Duck Dynasty shirt...yeehaw....♥

Some can't understand the fascination of these guys but I can...they are a welcome relief to the crapola we read everyday...they are gun toting---hunting--outside lovers of nature & protectors of all good things...they are not fancy-pancy fakes either...they are what they say they are....natural & wholesome.
They can bait a trout line & catch supper in a few minutes....they make me smile a lot & wish the country could get a clue.......live off the land but be good to the land.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/07/13 - 08:20 am
Lilly my dear

Take your mama to the quaint town of Madison Ga....it is filled with nice shops & some great restaurants.....try the Madison Chophouse...you won't be sorry...
Who knows...ya just might bump into some csra folks in there...:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/07/13 - 08:40 am
Gotta go

Have other fish to fry today & some are jumping in the pan right now.....(just getting my moneys worth in posting)

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/07/13 - 08:40 am
RANT to DHS Where was the

RANT to DHS
Where was the warning of this pre-known Hacker attack?

Quoting my Credit Union warning.

"A group known as 'Anonymous' has issued threats against government agencies and financial institutions of a Distributed Denial of Service (DDos) Attack on May 7, 2013. These DDoS Attacks primarily cause service disruption for online services, such as website access, online account access and mobile access to accounts."

My credit union and banks seems to be more interested in public protection that the DHS?

What gives?

corgimom
corgimom 05/07/13 - 09:17 am
To the ranter that commented

To the ranter that commented about Operation Rolling Thunder- I couldn't agree with you more!

augrichgal
augrichgal 05/07/13 - 09:28 am
operation rolling thunder

Instead of all the "show" for this operation rolling thunder and man hours, we need that "show" Downtown Augusta, the Riverwalk, and the Augusta Mall. What about the public housing areas to insure the safety and future of those children to try so they may not follow in the path of the ones committing the crimes. The Riverwalk which should be safe for visitors. I should be able to go to the mall without the fear of being mugged or a fight-shooting to break out. The crime in Richmond County has risen and the new sheriff should get those numbers down. My tax dollars should have a voice.

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 05/07/13 - 09:52 am
.02

Operation Thunder was mandated by the Governor, correct?

When was the last mugging @ the Augusta Mall?

Name one outdoor park that is safe at 11:00 p.m in a downtown area in America.

The comments reflect the hearts of many here in the CSRA...

augrichgal
augrichgal 05/07/13 - 10:08 am
All i am saying is you should

All i am saying is you should be able to shop, walk outside at a tourist attraction and not worry about being robbed or beaten to a pulp. I would rather drive with people that may be breaking some traffic laws versus people committing armed robberies, rapes, murder, agg assualts. Sad.

I think Operation Thunder came from the new Sheriff and the newly hired traffic officer from the GSP. I do not see this happening anywhere else. A traffic checkpoint here and there is normal but not this.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/07/13 - 10:26 am
Here is a disrespectful, ignorant and useless comment

Who is the dumber one here; the one writing them or the one wasting their time and angst reading them?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/07/13 - 10:35 am
Thunder

Reasonable, thinking people have no issue with the idea of DUI and other traffic crackdowns. Flood the roads with patrols; pull people over for running 5 over the speed limit if you want; you can't cite them under most circumstances, but unless I am mistaken, you can still pull them over for a warning. At that point, the rest of the things done at checkpoints can be done at the roadside, and there has been probable cause to check them out.

Using that technique, you don't harrass the law abiding citizen who has done nothing to cause an encounter with the police.

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 05/07/13 - 10:49 am
Not Shaft's idea

"The Thunder mission is to detect Georgia's high-crash corridors and reduce mounting highway deaths and serious injuries by introducing a high visibility law enforcement presence to help stabilize the extreme and illegal driving behaviors of careless motorists who cause those crashes. "

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/07/13 - 10:59 am
Showplaces Have to Be Safe

Trying to put my finger on it why the crime seems worse in downtown Augusta than in other cities I see a couple of factors. I believe if we just consider the old city area, the true urban city, the crime statistics would be pretty high, but that’s not my point. I’m sure Columbia, Columbus and other cities that Countyman mentions do have high crime rates, too, but what makes our crime unique is that it is in locations that should be considered showcases. Broad Street and the Riverwalk. Tourists will most certainly be walking in those areas. If you are not safe there at night, you’re not safe anywhere downtown. You have to make those places oasis of safety to begin with.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 05/07/13 - 11:30 am
B4

Good - I'll meet you in Madison - I'll be the one with the Bloody Mary Running Bare. Hahahaha

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 05/07/13 - 11:38 am
Business

My business is event planning and that includes quite often recommending a venue to host the event. I only recommend a downtown venue as a last resort, if there is absolutely nothing else available, due to the crime statistics there. I'm sure people looking to book a venue for conferences and large meetings do the same research. The last thing I want is for my business name to be connected with any of the incidents that continue to happen downtown. I've been to San Antonio Riverwalk and the French Quarter in New Orleans and the security there is not done with cameras, but with boots on the ground, uniformed and plain clothes.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/07/13 - 12:08 pm
Plain clothes is an essential

Plain clothes is an essential element. Yesterday, I related an incident I witnessed on River Street in Savannah where a plain clothes guy got the attention of some revelers.

Several years ago another couple and us went to Boston for the weekend. We were commenting about the relative feeling of safety we had compared to other large cities and the person we were talking to said there was a reason for it.
He said there had been a rash of crime perpetrated on some of the tens of thousands of students at the local high brow universities, and the hoity toity parents demanded action, pronto. Sparing no expense, they put a small army of plain clothes police to walking the streets; and the rats soon found somewhere else to make their dens.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/07/13 - 12:16 pm
"Operation Thunder was

"Operation Thunder was mandated by the Governor, correct?"

No. It was offered by the governor, not mandated.