Small fire quickly extinguished at Glit/Microtron in Wrens

The fire started in an old storage tank where workers were using a welder.

WRENS, Ga. — A small fire inside a tank at the Glit/Microtron plant in Wrens was extinguished quickly Thursday afternoon, Jefferson County 911/EMA Director Jim Anderson said.

The fire started in an old storage tank where workers were using a welder, Anderson said. “It caught a small fire on the inside of that tank. They put the fire out and were standing by until the worker was through with it,” he said.

The manufacturing business, which moved to Wrens in 1978, made coated abrasives, sand screen and scrubbing pads, a large portion of which are used in the floor care industry.

Management announced in January that it would close in 60 days.

Glit/Microtron plant closing in Wrens
Wrens plant closing; 120 to lose jobs

More

Sat, 12/10/2016 - 00:48

Empty Stocking list

Sat, 12/10/2016 - 07:07

Woman raising grandkids needs a hand

An Augusta woman raising her five grandchildren on her own could use some help this holiday. Read more