Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

ALL THOSE PEOPLE out there who think that they have it bad should read the inspiring story of Pensola Parsons highlighted in The Augusta Chronicle. She has to be an example to all of us as to what is possible. Best of luck, Pensola, in your new life. We are all proud of you!

RAVE TO AUGUSTA Amusements for the fantastic show at Jabez Hardin Arts Center in Evans. We need more of these great shows!

EMPEROR AZZIZ HAS tried to get his own way again, this time by bypassing the necessary approval process from the University System of Georgia Board of Regents and the Augusta Richmond County Historic Preservation Commission. Why on earth does he need a 3-car carport when he already has a 2-car garage? It must be nice to spend money when it’s not your own. His “project” will cost at least $150,000 when one considers cost overruns and design work.

RAVES TO THE person who saw the abandoned backpack at Kroger. We can never be too careful nowadays! It’s too dangerous a world.

WE HAVE DIRT ROADS. Why don’t we set up a dirt track for motor cross racing? That seems to be an exciting sport from what I just saw on TV Saturday.

OK, LIBRARY BOARD, the first one was bad but this one is the worst.

PRESSURE COOKERS KILL! Ban all sales of cookers, also nails and ball bearings!

I THINK THAT THE Au­gusta Warrior Project is a worthy cause, but the $20 a month contribution requested is a bit steep. There are too many other causes in competition for the money. Best of luck, though, in your efforts to raise the $150,000!

SOME OF THE TEACHERS at Davidson Fine Arts School seem to be missing the mark in providing quality educational experiences for the magnet school students entrusted to them.

TO THE DRY CLEANERS complainer, please file a case with the Better Business Bureau. If their investigation proves legit, you will get satisfaction.

Riverman1
81977
Riverman1 05/02/13 - 09:14 pm
Azziz's Other Hobby

Remember a past article said Azziz's other hobby is working on classic cars. He needs a bigger garage with more space. We're just lucky he doesn't make us buy him a 55 Chevy, too.

Jake
Jake 05/02/13 - 11:45 pm
Is Augusta bigger.....

.....than the constant barrage of Dr Azziz comments? Gun comments?
I think the overall comments have fallen off because of the same old subject matter. Anything new on the horizon or have we already beaten the same old horses to death?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 05/03/13 - 06:24 am
Au­gusta Warrior Project is a worthy cause, but the $20 a month

OH, you think $20 a month is too steep for someone who volunteered to keep this country what it was founded to be and lost part of themselves doing it. I guess you think handing out free turkeys and bicycles is worth it! I own a business and actively give a 30% discount to active military. If a Wounded Warrior asks for my services it is free to them. And you think $20.00 a month is too steep. You probably spend double that at the Mickey Dees or Starbucks drive through!

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/03/13 - 06:40 am
Has the concept of a Public

Has it become little more than a place to hang out during the day to read a newspaper?

A place to get out of the weather?

A place to sleep in a Air Conditioned and Heated area for 12 hours?

I toured the Newer Downtown Library 2 weeks ago.
I quickly came to the realization that the Old Library had more books
and noted row after row of dead space?

Does the future hold a new taxpayer ripoff in the works?
Where someone proposes the purchases of e-books and a relative or close friend ends up supplying them for a some extra pocket profit?

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/03/13 - 07:34 am
RAVE TO NEW FIREARM OWNERS

RAVE TO NEW FIREARM OWNERS

An a warning.

The total number of background checks under President Obama has reached over 72,005,482. With over 71,950,000 approved purchases using the FBI figures.

President Obama has been President for just over 1,550 days.
That works out to over 46,290 firearm purchases each day.

While I am very happy the honest population is taking steps to defend itself.

They should also consider making use of Private sales, instead of placing their names and info in a database as gun owners.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/03/13 - 08:10 am
Guns--Gays--Azziz

Take your pick my friend...also add bombers on that list...here ya go w/bombers info...

The surviving brother of the Boston bombing suspects told interrogators that the pair considered suicide attacks and an assault on July 4th, a law enforcement official told The New York Times.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, who is currently in custody and has been interrogated by the FBI, reportedly said he and his brother, 26-year-old Tamerlan, opted for pressure cooker bombs that they eventually used in the twin Boston Marathon bombings on April 15, the official said.

NBC News reports that the bombs were built inside Tamerlan's house in Cambridge, Mass., and that since they were finished faster than anticipated, the brothers decided to move up the attack date.

And some are worried that their pictures are too dark in a dang magazine cover....

FOLKS WAKE UP...they wanted to blow you to bits on July 4th.....& we worry about their pics or how they are treated,....

Sometimes I can't believe the news....& some believe this was made up & the gov planned this ...GEEZ......please help me I'm falling..

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/03/13 - 08:20 am
Funny thing..

I haven't always believed in torture BUT now I do....if we can get info on future bombings ..I say ..go for it!!

Yeah..I know..ya think I'm a meanie...

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/03/13 - 08:40 am
These idiots are making our laws....

The woman said.....the bombing was by the gov...her words..

The New Hampshire state legislator who has said the federal government caused the Boston Marathon bombing claimed proof in a victim who lost both legs and "was not in pain."

State Rep. Stella Tremblay (R-Auburn) told a conservative talk show host Tuesday that she knows the federal government was behind the attacks because Jeff Bauman, a bombing victim who helped identify the suspects, was not "screaming in agony" after both his legs were blown off. Tremblay made the comments on The Pete Santilli Show, first reported by miscellanyblue.com, a liberal-leaning website, on Wednesday.

The man just might have been in shock....his legs were blown off....GEEZ.....this kinda reminds me of the guy saying it wasn't a legitimate rape.....maybe she thinks this isn't a legit bombing...soo sorry but we have IDIOTS in both parties..

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/03/13 - 08:49 am
Polls

I am not making this up. These are the actual words of an online poll question at the Knology home page today:

Do you think drones should be able to target and attack people with no input from humans?

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/03/13 - 08:53 am
Well LL...right this minute

I would say yes to that question IF they aimed the drone at congress & I could go for torture on congress til they made some sensible laws....
yeehaw!!!

oldfella
oldfella 05/03/13 - 08:55 am
RAVE for Power Fest pictures

Thanks for sharing a few pictures (pic #12 just one example) of our enthusiastic local youth flashing gang signs! It's nice to see young people keeping tradition and culture alive these days.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/03/13 - 08:56 am
surprise surprise...

One of my sensible neighbors just told my hubby that we might see Obama again as the NEXT President....uuuhhh.....I say no...but ...we will see a copy of him....soo what is the difference.

Darby
Darby 05/03/13 - 10:11 am
"PRESSURE COOKERS KILL! Ban all sales

of cookers, also nails and ball bearings!"

Yeah! And ban ball point pens (Those things can really hurt.) and stationary too! I'm not kidding, have you seen what damage a paper cut can do to a finger?

Sweet son
Sweet son 05/03/13 - 10:59 am
Pressure cookers, nails and ball bearings don't kill!

Terrorists kill! I bet SeenitB4, Riverman1, Cobalt George and I all grew up watching our Mothers cook with a pressure cooker. And guess what all of us have probably cooked with one. I know I have! Used to love to watch the stopper thing on the top jiggle and release steam.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/03/13 - 11:02 am
Moto, not motor, cross track

There was one at Gordon Park that flopped. There is one between Washington and Thomson. There is one between Harlem and Wrens.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/03/13 - 11:12 am
Who is/was Jabez Hardin?

Who is/was Jabez Hardin?

Darby
Darby 05/03/13 - 11:31 am
Going out this weekend to buy my wife

(and me) a new pressure cooker. That old one has seen better days. Probably wouldn't even peak the interest of a terrorist.

Still, I'll dispose of the pot and the lid in two phases to discourage some young Bin Laden wannabe from scrounging and recycling it.

Darby
Darby 05/03/13 - 11:35 am
I love it when I get those

"thumbs down" from the libs. There's no better way to know when you strike a nerve.

More please! Thanks!

Riverman1
81977
Riverman1 05/03/13 - 12:11 pm
I'll never forget when my

I'll never forget when my mother's pressure cooker full of collard greens blew up and the ceiling and walls were coated in greens. I was traumatized for life.

harley_52
harley_52 05/03/13 - 12:34 pm
I Wish We Could....

....spend a little more time on Azziz comments and guns comments. Yes, I have to admit the pressure cooker comments are a welcome reprieve, AND we can always use a healthy dose of Augusta/Richmond County bashing, but we really should stick with our meat and potatoes.

Maybe somebody could start a food fight about abortion, homesexual marriage, or maybe even bikes on public roads. Those always seem to get eyes bugging out and steam pouring from ears.

Jake
Jake 05/03/13 - 12:51 pm
Homesexual marriage

I must admit that I am in one of those relationships with my wife.

My mother bought a pressure cooker for us about 17 years ago and I was surprised to find out how versatile they can be. We have cooked pot roast and stews in it and they always come out very tender and flavorful.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/03/13 - 03:06 pm
harley said....

Maybe somebody could start a food fight about abortion, homesexual marriage

yeh harley...it has been a long time since GOB wanted sex outside the home but ya never know....you must have a colorful life..heh heh

soo funny today!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/03/13 - 03:08 pm
pressure cookers

My mother had 7 kids....she had a cooker...never did explode either..I just don't like them very much.....very seldom use mine.

Riverman1
81977
Riverman1 05/03/13 - 03:29 pm
NocNoc asked, "Has the

NocNoc asked, "Has the concept of a Public Walk-in Library become obsolete in this electronic age of smart phones, e-books and e-readers?"

That's been my opinion for a good while. Brick and mortar libraries waste tens of millions of dollars and serve fewer people than online libraries could.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 05/03/13 - 03:39 pm
RM

Ours exploded too! When I see one, I run!

Darby
Darby 05/03/13 - 03:47 pm
Love our old pressure cooker....

My wife and I found that those things are very versatile. For example, several years ago we began cooking our boiled peanuts in ours. Takes at least two thirds off the total preparation time.

Never had a pressure cooker blow up on us. They aren't supposed to do that. There is typically a "blow-out" plug in the lid that should go. If it does, then you replace it with the spare that came with the unit or order one from the manufacturer.

P.S. - Thanks libs for the thumbs down, but I had hoped you could give me at least double that number. Still, don't think for a minute that your efforts are not appreciated.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/03/13 - 03:56 pm
ok ..I give

This place has made me so sleepy today I think I will take a nap....

Don't forget to watch the Derby Sat evening....bye bye

Riverman1
81977
Riverman1 05/03/13 - 04:50 pm
Rolling Thunder

About Rolling Thunder, I have absolutely no problem with extra law enforcement being brought to Richmond County. Please, please, please slow down speeders and law breakers of all kind. But the problem I do have is with checkpoints that stop citizens for absolutely no reason, to ask for their papers…so to speak.

Those checkpoints have been temporarily allowed by the U.S. Supreme Court, but will end sooner or later. In the conservative CSRA you can’t expect law abiding citizens to approve of and welcome these Rolling Thunder, convoys and roadblocks, measures.

Riverman1
81977
Riverman1 05/03/13 - 05:39 pm
Lilly, my mother had this

Lilly, my mother had this thing that sat on top of the electric stove. It was not a plug in pot. I remember it with the black round rubber ring to this day that I once threw away thinking I was helpling my mother clean the pot. When the pressure cooker got hot it made this hiss, hiss sound out that top thing that Momma warned me I better not mess with. Of course she was talking to her 10 year old son, and only one...me, who also slowly put the fat part of the palm of my hand into the electric fan just to see if I could stop it.

justthefacts
justthefacts 05/03/13 - 05:07 pm
River

Game Day @ Clemson/UGA.

Teacher group backs Carter for governor

ATLANTA - One of the largest teachers' groups in Georgia has announced its support for Democrat Jason Carter, as he challenges Republican Gov. Nathan Deal in the fall.