Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RANT TO THE local cleaners who shrunk my wife’s clothes, kept them for over a month and then didn’t honor their policy to refund customers if they were not satisfied.

RAVE FOR Traffic Engineering, Richmond County Sheriff’s Office and 911 for keeping things, especially traffic, running smoothly during Masters week!

YOU CAN’T REGULATE stupidity. Criminals don’t give a rat’s foot for laws and regulations.

EVERYONE UNDERSTANDS the need for overtime from your offices. But rant to Tax and Procurement offices for overtime during Masters Week. Are you serious? Are we supposed to believe all those absent for the week needed tax assistance and contracts? Is anyone in city government looking into this?

NOT FOR THE first time in my life, I am proud to be an American.

RAVES FOR TWO beautiful ladies JoAnne and Janet. Two different days your generosity and kindness touched my heart and brought joy to my day.

I WAS INTERESTED in the rant about the motorcycle officer during the Masters. I drove my brother in law up Berckmans Road to drop him at the nearest gate. I saw the portable sign on Berckmans that said no stopping or drop-offs. That made sense, so I turned left onto Heath, pulled over at a safe distance, no one behind me, and my brother-in-law was out of the car in seconds. A motorcycle officer yelled at me to “keep moving” which I did. He then pulled in behind me with blue lights flashing and told me to pull over and then gave me a ticket for disregarding a sign. There was no sign on Heath. I am still fuming.

WHY DOES Augusta/Richmond (and all governments) keep pouring more and more millions into making government bigger, and always with lousy results? E.g., who needs a renovated Municipal Building, other than the name that keeps popping up, Fred Russell? And what is Russell’s favorite word to confuse? Could it be “process,” the most useful vaguery in today’s political lexicon?

SO GLAD WE HAVE a cheap shuttle available to us all. Call “King Azziz Shuttle.” Less than $500 for 12 hours!! Free policemen available on request! (They volunteer.) What a wonderful service. We have needed and wanted this for a long time in Augusta. For a long time!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/27/13 - 07:58 pm
Who Is JoAnne & Janet?

Have I missed something here. If you don't provide more details, it is hard to Rave about it.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/27/13 - 08:38 pm
I Think 2 & 7

should get together and have a beer summit.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/27/13 - 09:05 pm
"YOU CAN’T REGULATE

stupidity. Criminals don’t give a rat’s foot for laws and regulations."

I sure would like you to tell the mutant Liberals those Facts.

Darn, I forgot, they don't believe in Facts. Maybe if MSNBC was to broadcast it, they might just acknowledge it.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/27/13 - 09:21 pm
Hey TSD

You missed one.

countyman
20585
countyman 04/27/13 - 10:50 pm
Augusta doing great things!!! Artspace wants in!!

Please take the quick survey, and help bring Artspace to Augusta. The following things will all dramatically increase: Downtown foot traffic, private investment, culture, sense of community, street level activity, and cosmopolitan feel....

This is something totally unique to the city Augusta.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/27/13 - 10:48 pm
For what it cost

to renovated Municipal Building

They could have purchased Regency Mall and renovated it.
Had 100x's the Parking space and be centralized and closer to a majority of ARC residents.

Not just the downtown crowd and some lawyers.

countyman
20585
countyman 04/27/13 - 11:01 pm
Moving the problem and not solving it.

The only problem is the municipal building would become empty, and the city doesn't need any more vacant properties.

The Regency Mall should be demolished, and build the Regional Sports complex on the site.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 04/27/13 - 11:46 pm
Countyman

With whose money?

countyman
20585
countyman 04/27/13 - 11:59 pm
easy answer

The same money Nocnoc proposed to buy and renovate the Regency Mall with. I don't see any private developers stepping up, and it's been over an decade.

The truth is many citizens had a very negative image of Regency Mall, and you need the right project. Multiple things planned for the property have been shot down by the general public.

I'm positive the majority of voters in Richmond County would easily favor the sports complex over moving the Judicial Center or Municipal building to Gordon Hwy. The city is already behind the $3-$4 million lake near the property which can attract local recreation activities and large regional competitions.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/28/13 - 08:00 am
countyman

Does scratch my back mean anything to you?

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/28/13 - 08:08 am
YOU CAN’T REGULATE stupidity.

Well too bad about that...if we could & charge for it we would probably have another 66 million to donate to MCG..

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/28/13 - 08:11 am
66 million!!!

When I first saw that ..I thought..DANG ..that must be a misprint...maybe 6 million BUT 66 just blew my mind...from a small town in SouthGa ......he must have been a very wise man....the medium wage in that town is about $34,000.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/28/13 - 08:30 am
I Know AC

that by the Discussion Topic and Top News Headlines that you wanted to make this the AZZIZZIE day in the paper...

But

somehow I felt that this "Little" news blurb should get some attention also.....

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/28/13 - 09:13 am
CobaltGeorge - Check the link

For some reason the Link came up dead at 9:14am

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/28/13 - 09:21 am
nocnoc

Sure doesn't that long for our socialist government to ACT...

example of the free country that we live in now!

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/28/13 - 09:35 am
Riverman1
Riverman1 04/28/13 - 09:59 am
His Wife Gained Weight

I bet that guy's wife gained some weight instead of her clothes being shrunk at the dry cleaners. Maybe they should have customers weigh before they clean their clothes and then when they come to pick up the clothes. Heh.

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/28/13 - 10:16 am
Ranter #7.....If what you say

Ranter #7.....If what you say is true I would have whipped out my camera and taken pictures up and down Heath to show there were no signs. I would then have circled back on to Berckmans and taken pictures to show that is where the signs were. Then I would go to court and plead not guilty............unless there is more to the story.

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/28/13 - 10:19 am
countyman.......'#8. The

countyman.......'#8. The voters of Richmond County approved $18 million for the municipal building renovation a few years ago."

Yeh, what's it up to now...about $40 million and climbing. The rest of which being funded by "anticipated" sales tax revenue that may or may not come and that has already been double and triple spent.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/28/13 - 10:40 am
Kudos to Newspapers

Reading about the Richmond County boards that have members serving who are not duly currently appointed while also reading the ongoing Azziz saga, it struck me how valuable our local newspaper is to the community. You may take it a step further and include all local newspapers.

The paper informs the public and monitors government in addition to entertaining. What would a community be like without a real news gathering organization such as the Chronicle? TV and radio with their one or two news people owe much to the Chronicle.

There is often talk of removing the required public notices from papers and only posting them online, but that seems to be the one financial reward the community can help the paper with. It truly is a valuable local institution.

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/28/13 - 10:53 am
countyman...."and

countyman...."and cosmopolitan feel"

Well come out here "south of Spirit Creek" and get some of this cosmopolitan feel. Bring your own self-defense weapon. The only feel I have for "cosmopolitan" is that I am tired of paying for downtown to try to get that way while our quality of life goes down the tubes and you think we should be grateful because we MIGHT get a hamburger joint...possibly.....someday.....maybe.

So since this survery talks about a partnership with the City of Augusta, HOW MUCH TAXPAYER MONEY will be involved in providing this "special features, amenities and affordability". How many property tax breaks will be given to encourage this artspace while the tax burden will be shifted to the suburban and rural property owners?

Is this survey kind of like some of the SPLOST initiatives where the you ask folks to vote for motherhood and apple pie and tell them it will cost HALF of what you already know you intend to spend.

If an "Artspace" is self-sustainable then the artsy type folks and the businesses that would benefit from the "foot traffic" are perfectly welcome to get together and fund it. I tired of plucking my tail feathers to stick in the City of Augusta's cap. My butt is getting bare.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/28/13 - 12:15 pm
Sean plleeeze

Please let RA come back so I don't have to spend so much time arguing with him on emails...:)

He needs bunches of people.

countyman
20585
countyman 04/28/13 - 12:56 pm
More than 'self-susainable'

Downtown Augusta is more of an destination compared to extreme South Augusta. I do take the comments seriously, but sometimes people always exaggerate. Why do you need a self defense weapon in terms of south of spirit creek? There's definitely not alot of crime, and especially not violent. The violent crime in South Augusta is mostly inside of I-520 except for maybe Apple Valley, Barton Village, or Meadowbrook. The city is not stopping any non profit or private developers from investing into South Augusta.

Artspace is a major non-profit group, and can take advantage of federal money. They also get private funding, because of the success of their projects.

How are Artspace projects funded?

We access public funding sources including those available for the creation of affordable housing, economic development, historic preservation and cultural facility development. Private sector funding includes conventional bank financing as well as individual and community philanthropic support.

Dichotomy... Why do you continue to dismiss the millions spent on Diamond Lakes, $20 million vocational high school, $600k Butler Creek Trailhead Park, $3-4 million lake at Regency Mall, $1 million Marshalls office, new police precinct on Mike Padgett, Morgan rd widening, bus depot on Lumpkin rd, etc in South Augusta?

Sweet son
Sweet son 04/28/13 - 01:11 pm
@Riverman1

Loved your explanation of the problem of the "shrinking clothes." You are probably right!

KSL
KSL 04/28/13 - 03:01 pm
As long as the courts are

As long as the courts are going to let evil people roam among us and immigration is going to allow them to enter our country, we all need to be armed.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/28/13 - 03:40 pm
I recommend if you are

I recommend if you are eligible, licensed and trained for a weapon for self-defense anywhere in the country, and ESPECIALLY Richmond County, you carry one if you can keep it secured when not in use. I have lived here for several decades and the last 20 years, especially the last 10 years, have proven the need for a defensive weapon. And I don't live in Barton Village, Meadowbrook, Apple Valley or downtown, I have lived in several other locations than those, in the city of Augusta/Richmond County, and two in Martinez, and I recommend concealed carry in any of those neighborhoods.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 04/28/13 - 03:44 pm
Riddle: What do Georgia Tech

Riddle: What do Georgia Tech and Paine College have in common??
Answer: They both had the same number of players drafted to the NFL this year!!
ZERO!!

Upscale addiction treatment facility opens

The facility off Bennock Mill Road is a cutting-edge residential addiction treatment facility, combining evidence-based treatment and wellness approaches like diet and personalized exercise ...