Rants & Raves

I JUST GOT STOPPED (again) for a long line of motorcycles escorted by police with blue lights flashing – this time on River Watch Parkway. OK, I get it: doing good things for people. But these look-at-me displays are annoying and inconvenient for everyone else. It can be done elsewhere without all the hoopla and accomplish the same results. Thanks.

RANT TO THE Rich­mond County motorcycle deputy that screamed, smart-mouthed and threatened to issue me an $85 traffic ticket on the Friday of the Masters. I am 64 and have been a patron since 1968. I pulled on the shoulder of Heath Drive at Stanley for about 15 seconds to allow my wife, who was standing in a private yard, to get into our car. There was no traffic in front of me or behind me. In all my years of attending, I have never seen such a unprofessional display.

RANT TO THE WOMAN in the white van at the Evans library Thursday who allowed her young son to run alongside her moving vehicle all the way up to Belair Road while eating a snow cone. I can’t believe that you couldn’t just take a minute to let him eat rather than risk an accident to keep him from dripping in your vehicle, but I’m not surprised these days.

THE POLICE AND the military do not carry assault-style rifles. They actually carry assault rifles. The talking heads don’t know the difference. The talking heads are content to be the mindless mouth pieces of those who want to infringe our Second Amendment rights.

SUCH HORRIFIC recent crimes, such as shooting a toddler in the face and another where a woman was dragged behind a truck led me to believe we should bring back public flogging again. I would be first in line with my whip.

WHAT A TRAGEDY. Seven pit bulls ravaged a 21-month-old while three adults in the house were unaware of what was happening. Shame on the mother for allowing her baby to wander into such danger. When are people going to realize the dangers and responsibility of owning pit bulls?

OUR GOVERNMENT keeps letting nut jobs into our country and what we get is the Boston bombing, Virginia Tech shooting and the mall shooting in Oregon. We have enough violence from our own citizens. Time to roll up the welcome mat.

Comments from readers:

dwb619
dwb619 04/22/13 - 07:22 pm
motorcycles

Was it just "regular' motorcycles, or the Patriot Guard ,escorting a veterans funeral?

happychimer
19396
happychimer 04/22/13 - 08:04 pm
pitbull

Any dog behaves the way it is trained and taken care of. My daughter has a pit, and she is the best dog anyone could have. She is considered a family member. She requires a lot of attention, and is very loving.She is not aggresive. She gives love and is loyal. She loves those kids, and follows them in the yard and in the house. To those who say she is dangerous, that is hogwash.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/22/13 - 09:39 pm
Happy

Many people have sung the same tune and lived to regret it, including the mother of the little girl who was just killed by Pits.

Owners of large constrictors feel the same way until one goes haywire and kills their pet or child.

Edited to add. I just have to shake my head in wonderment when I read story after story of the sweet and gentle Pits that flip the switch and become killers; and then see people talking about it is their raising. They are four legged time bombs that may or may not explode when the predatory instinct is triggered. They ARE wonderfully sweet dogs on the whole, but when triggered, they are deadly. I don't know of any other breed that doesn't give you a clue that they are potentially agressive and dangerous. Usually, dangerous dogs behave that way all the time. Pits don't, I've seen it with my own eyes, and read many more accounts of it. My eyes don't lie, and my common sense and instints serve me well.

And while I'm at it, how can one deny the stats? Attacks by Pits are WAY disproportionate to their population. I understand about the fighting, training, etc. by neer-do-wells; but I can't fathom that it accounts for all of the disparity in attacks. You may trust them around your child or grandchild, but there isn't enough money for me to. Too many other fine dogs that have much less chance of harming them.

One last thing... Cocker Spaniels, Chihuahuas, and 100% of the other breeds will BITE given the right circumstances. Pits KILL...

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/22/13 - 08:32 pm
I have the same question DWB.

I have the same question DWB. If it is the PG, they are there at the request of the family. If it was a charity ride, I would ask the ranter: "What have you done for charity lately?" Motorcycle rallys raise millions of dollars each year in the U.S. for charity. No, I don't have hard statistics at hand, but I know that with the amount raised by local riders extrapolated nationwide would equal millions.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/22/13 - 09:19 pm
#2

I wish you would have gotten the badge number. No excuse for rude treatment by public servants. I know that it is an intense and stressful time for LEO's handling traffic, but a respectful admonition would have sufficed.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/22/13 - 09:47 pm
Last Rant

Bob Beckel, an unapologetic liberal, has drawn a similar conclusion. I could not believe my ears this afternoon when he said we should suspend all new student visas to Muslims and Chinese. He thinks we should have a little "breathing room" to assess the potential damage we are causing ourselves with terrorism from radical Muslims (Boston bombing), and cyber espionage from the Chinese who come here, get educated in computer sciences, then go home and hack us.

Maybe, just maybe, some of the liberal crowd are beginning to "get it".

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 04/22/13 - 09:51 pm
"...The Rich­mond County motorcycle deputy..."

is the kind of cop that makes the other 10% of cops look bad.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 04/22/13 - 09:57 pm
"The police and the military

... actually carry assault rifles."

Yet they don't want average citizens to have them; they know something we don't. Who their enemies are, perhaps?

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 04/22/13 - 10:00 pm
"...The talking heads don’t know the difference..."

Oh but they do. The imprecision of their language is deliberate so when they write language into law that "accidently" bans weapons without any rational basis, it's shrug, smile, and "It's the law."

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 04/22/13 - 10:03 pm
Okay, I was stunned to hear this:

Maher, the foul mouthed shock-jock Christian and conservative hating cable clown actually came down against islamofacists on one of his programs!

KSL
KSL 04/23/13 - 12:18 am
I started to post that link,

I started to post that link, then didn't because the clarity lasted only a few seconds.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/23/13 - 04:09 am
Looks like Azziz had the

Looks like Azziz had the buses take the wedding guests to Columbia County for the party. Think there was alcohol on those bus rides? I hope no one got sick and puked on the bus on the way back.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/23/13 - 06:32 am
Will he be charged or allowed to skate

According to NEWS reports President Azzzzzzzz has violated GA State law by misusing and misappropriating state resources, property and personnel for a PRIVATE & PERSONAL use.

If the justice is equal in GA., then he MUST be charged. An just like he has done to other MCG staff and employees under his tenure, then terminated.

If found guilty in a court of law, he must be terminated just like ANY other state employee caught doing the same thing.
Fair is Fair.

In the mean time he should step down as President until the matter is resolved.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/23/13 - 06:32 am
River

If you are around, Marcus Latimore is on Fox right now.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/23/13 - 07:17 am
Me too ranter...to this

The Boston bombers could get some lashes too....I understand that the kin who said they were framed have been getting some threats......pretty obvious they are guilty but we know how the truth can be turned upside down.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/23/13 - 07:26 am
Wake up call for Bill Mayer

I think many will finally get it now....I hope so

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 04/23/13 - 07:29 am
Pit bulls

We should ban all humans, because a very small minority of them commit viscous crimes.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/23/13 - 07:31 am
Keep this in mind

The bombers had many guns---bombs-ammunition & guess what they didn't have or would ever worry about...PERMITS---they could care less about an ok from this government...THAT is what we have been saying all along.....the laws won't matter to crooks or terrorists....please GET THAT just like Mayer is getting the fact that there are killers in our midst..

harley_52
harley_52 04/23/13 - 08:22 am
"Yet they don't want average citizens to have them"

Just out of curiosity, how have your drawn that conclusion? All the Sheriffs I've seen coming out with positions on the subject seem to be in favor of private citizens being armed to the same level as criminals who might attack them. I think both Richmond and Columbia county Sheriffs have taken that position, but I could be wrong.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/23/13 - 08:32 am
JTF, About Lattimore

I'm pretty busy today and missed your info about Marcus on Fox this morning. No, TV where I am anyway. Dang, I hope he does well, but you have to wonder about those knees. I always thought he looked a little slim in his legs for a running back. I'll be pulling for him. He can't report to training camp until late, I don't believe.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 04/23/13 - 09:02 am
Old adage:

Ignore what people say; watch what they DO. In the case of elected law enforcement, what would you expect them to say? Guns and welfare are the third rails of of politics; threaten to take either and you're toast, politically.

How many of these departments treat armed law-abiding citizens like terrorists? That's the test. Most departments fail, despite their lip service to the contrary.

allhans
allhans 04/23/13 - 09:00 am
I, too, was caught up in the

I, too, was caught up in the motorcade of cyclists Saturday about 1 PM I think, on Washington Road near I-20 and headed toward Martinez. I waited, along with a long string of others through several green lights, and was annoyed. I later in the day found that it was in honor of J.D. Paugh...My apologies to all for my lack of patience.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/23/13 - 09:03 am
I'm having problems understanding this

Also my email friend....someone will have to tell me how many drone attacks did we issue before 9-11......what were we suppose to do...sit back & beg...please don't do that again....we are not perfect my friends but get real here...

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/23/13 - 09:17 am
Same Mug Shots Up

I'd like to see those photos changed every now and then. Heck, as unlikely as it probably is, one of those people may have even been found not guilty. It seems like cruel and unusual punishment to keep their pics up. Heck, I want to see some new crooks.

allhans
allhans 04/23/13 - 09:07 am
When a killer, the human

When a killer, the human kind, finds a victim family members and friends will tell you what a nice person he is, if it is in a certain neighborhood the residents will tell you it is a nice quiet place to live and nothing like that has ever happen before (yeah!)...
Pit bulls are the same, I avoid them at all costs. I have one in my neighborhood, the owner has him on a leash when walking him (he is an inside dog) but there is no way she could control him if he wanted to escape. She warns us NOT to pet him, but that doesn't make me feel safer.
WHAT IF...he gets loose...

allhans
allhans 04/23/13 - 09:15 am
Immigration is now the prime

Immigration is now the prime topic...Senate hearings going on...I haven't heard anything yet about what amnesty for millions will do to our Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and of course - the welfare rolls.
Not all of the illegals are young, some are at or near retirement age.
And the system is broke? Apparently not...ask Obama and the other politicians.

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/23/13 - 09:22 am
Where is the outcry from the

Where is the outcry from the liberals wanting background checks to buy pressure cookers, batteries, clocks, and remote control toys. Oh, and guess what, the younger Tsarnaev brother would have PASSED any background check. Of course, he proves the point that only law abiding citizens would submit to background checks and he also proves the point that you don't need a scary black semi-automatic weapon to mass kill and maim. In fact, you don't need a gun at all.

No new law will prevent anything, especially since we don't enforce the laws we already have. And there are already plenty of laws to cover all of the crimes after the fact.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/23/13 - 09:25 am
That is a good point about

That is a good point about adult immigrants who come here. We hear about medical costs all the time. If an immigrant who becomes a citizen and has paid little into Medicare, he/she ends up on Medicaid. If he has paid little into social security he ends up on welfare. Immigrants should have to prove they have health insurance before gaining legal status in the country.

Thanksgiving burns injure 8

Eight people have already been admitted to the Joseph M. Still burn center for cooking related burns this Thanksgiving.