Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I AM A TAXPAYER and residents of North Augusta, and do not see the need for a baseball stadium. Keep it in Augusta. We do not party all night in North Augusta.

RAVES TO The Augusta Chronicle its local carrier in Riverwood for delivering the paper all of Masters Week although we only subscribe for weekends.

TO THE PEOPLE WHO hate to have any kind of control over people getting guns: My grandfather was killed years ago by someone with a mental health issue who was permitted to buy guns. That man also kidnapped and tormented a young girl before he killed my grandfather. Two lives directly affected by the use of a gun in the hands of someone unbalanced. Yes, we do need background checks and other gun controls!

OUR GOVERNMENT IS no longer of the people, for the people and by the people, but is becoming the government versus the people.

IN YOUR EDITORIAL concerning Mark Sanford and Tiger Woods, there is no comparison to what was said. First of all, Woods is not running for any public office, and Sanford once told his wife on Father’s Day he was going to the mountains and left his four boys and wife. Second, all men cheat, whether they are looking or lusting. You figure.

IT’S TOO BAD for the middle class who voted for President Obama thinking he would make life better for them. How does it feel now paying more for the bottom feeders?

IT’S TOO BAD people can still commit fraud and fool so many others. How many times must we tell people to not send off money to unknown places and that you be careful of checks you cash from unknown people?

MASTERS PATRONS were recognized as the best in golf. Not anymore after this year’s tournament. The disrespectful, obnoxious fans whose “look at me” mentality disturbed golfers and fans alike took care of that. What a shame! I hope security was able to get badge numbers.

WE NEED TO STOP letting government control our money for its use like Social Security. Give us back every penny we ever put in and let people who want to be in such a system be there. The rest of us can control our own savings quite well to regulate them if you will just let us dump more money into IRAs.

countyman
20120
countyman 04/19/13 - 02:46 am
Nighlife and GRU

The 2014 budget includes over $64 million for GRU. $45 million will help build the $100 million Cancer Center, and $10 million is going towards cancer research.

#1. I wish the city of Augusta was 24hr, but we close shop around 2-3am. I can't think of many food choices other than Waffle House and fast food chains after 12am. The public transportation must run into the later hours(2-3am), and finally become 24hr.

The immediate target areas for nightlife expansions include the Medical District, CBD, Peach Orchard rd, Augusta Exchange, Washington rd, and Midtown. The goal should be a mix of pubs, clubs, lounges, bars, etc. The Indian Queen located at Wrightsboro rd/Monte Sano in Midtown is a perfect example of quality nightlife developments.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 04/19/13 - 07:21 am
"... we do need background checks

... and other gun controls."

Yeah, it does sound like you have serious issues. Do you truly believe you should be allowed access to firearms?

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 04/19/13 - 07:25 am
"... Second, all men cheat

... whether they are looking or lusting. You figure."

Also, someone with serious issues projecting them on the rest of us. As long as (presumably) she keeps believing that, she will remain a sad and bitter little person.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 04/19/13 - 07:27 am
"... (It) is becoming the government versus the people."

Not all the people, just the producers. Drones are doing quite well.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/19/13 - 07:31 am
Cheatin

"Second, all men cheat, whether they are looking or lusting. You figure." Dang, who ratted us out??

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 04/19/13 - 07:31 am
"... It's too bad people can still commit fraud

... and fool so many others."

Ummm, something for nothing has become our national pattern; why wouldn't they believe they can get free money, when it's happening all around them with government?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/19/13 - 07:57 am
Life Goals

Countyman wrote:

The goal should be a mix of pubs, clubs, lounges, bars, etc.

I'm not sophisticated enough to know the subtle nuances between those categories, but it seems like a pretty low goal to set for one's life.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/19/13 - 08:18 am
Good Morning @3 America

I believe you are allowing emotions to override logic and common sense. I too lost my 4th son and two of his close friends from a .380 projectile through his heart and in the heads of his friends. That projectile came from a gun but was held In the "Hands of a human Teenager". That gun was given to him by his human father.

Background checks may stop some from gun purchases but will not prevent one from having one in his/her hands. Even some of our honored veterans will be denied ownership of a weapon just because some time in his history, medical records will show,( even if found cured) PTSD symptoms.

Now I want you to trully ask yourself, If every gun control law was in effect and highly enforced, would your grandfather and this precious young girl lives not been affected. Probably back then background check was less required but even so if he was denied purchasing a gun, he would have gotten one, one way or another. The end results would have been the same.

I'm sorry for your lose but more than than 2 lives were effected on that day. I know! To this day, I do not blame that .380 projectile from a GUN the reason for my sons death. A drug dealing father and a son following in its footsteps.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/19/13 - 08:24 am
If looking and lusting is cheating

Then all of mankind are cheaters.(that includes you too madam) It is who you go home with that determines cheating. (or have under the desk at the Whitehouse)

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 04/19/13 - 08:45 am
I wonder how many people

I wonder how many people favor background checks for voting? If it applies to ONE Constitutional right that can be used to society's detriment, then why not have background checks for ALL Constitutional rights.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/19/13 - 08:47 am
Common Sense

will tell you that all the added requirements to the now existing background checks will do more damage than good. It will increase the home break ins of lawful Americans to gain their access to weapons. The only good it will do is give our judical systems the ability to add stronger charges to the crime committed after a killing has occurred.

The big knee jerking action over the high Magazine capacity is only one thing, the first step to total confiscation of all weapons plus the destruction of the 2nd amendment.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 04/19/13 - 08:51 am
And again, not one person can

And again, not one person can lay down a logical argument as to why a responsible, law abiding citizen should NOT be allowed to own large capacity magazines, or even machine guns for that matter.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/19/13 - 09:36 am
As To The Looking & Lusting Issue.

I have to admit I'm guilty.

God gave me eyes, so I will look.

I lust every time I see my CIC of 53 years.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 04/19/13 - 08:53 am
And anyone who doesn't

And anyone who doesn't believe that irresponsible voting can kill people....just ask Anwar al-Awlaki.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/19/13 - 08:57 am
Good Morning Angela

I have many things to do, so take it from here. I feel confident you know how to handle the liberals.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 04/19/13 - 09:11 am
Sorry, CG, but

"... The only good it (checks) will do is give our judical systems the ability to add stronger charges to the crime committed after a killing has occurred."

Not really. The first thing plea-bargained away is always the gun charges. If they were prosecuted more than 7% of the time, there'd be a lot more scumbags in prison instead of back out hunting - with guns they're not allowed to own.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/19/13 - 09:16 am
Truths you cannot disagree

Truths you cannot disagree with:

You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.

What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.

The government cannot give to anybody without first taking it from
someone else.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

When 1/2 the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other 1/2 will take care of them; then the working 1/2 will quickly come to understand it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they worked for and earned, that is the ending phase of a nation.

To quote Herman Kane from the other day.
People that demand a chance at the Opportunity Ladder need to take their hands out of their pockets and grab the 1st rung.

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/19/13 - 10:11 am
countyman....."The public

countyman....."The public transportation must run into the later hours(2-3am), and finally become 24hr."

You have got to be kidding. You can run all of the public transportation you want AS LONG AS THE RIDERS PAY FOR IT. It is not the responsibility of the totally ignored taxpayers of South Richmond County to provide SUBSIDIZED transportation for a handful of riders during the day and a bunch of downtown partying drunks at night.

You should take the SAME APPROACH to public transportation that you FORCE on us for GARBAGE COLLECTION. You should CHARGE THE USERS the ACTUAL COST OF THE SERVICE PLUS a little PROFIT FOR THE GENERAL FUND. That is what you are doing to the rural and suburban residents for garbage collection. You make us pay the total cost of the service PLUS a little extra. Any public transportation should be PAID FOR BY THE USERS. If you cannot provide me BASIC SERVICES at a decent price the DO NOT ask me to SUBSIDIZE "NICE TO HAVE" services for the already way too subsidized.

I am NOT on the same "city" ego trip that you are on. I am on the "preserve what little money I have left" trip. I doubt seriously that you are going to run a bus by my driveway on the south end of Old Waynesboro Rd every 30 minutes so you can either make the USERS pay for all of it or you can do it like street lights and raise the property taxes of the residents that will ACTUALLY GET BUS SERVICE. I vote for making the USERS pay the actual cost.

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/19/13 - 10:24 am
"TO THE PEOPLE WHO hate to

"TO THE PEOPLE WHO hate to have any kind of control over people getting guns: My grandfather was killed years ago by someone with a mental health issue"

The point is that we already have background checks to purchase a gun from a dealer. The problem with that is that the SAME PEOPLE who are clamoring for more gun control are the SAME PEOPLE who scream about the protecting the rights of the mentally ill to NOT be reported and NOT have their diagnosis put into a database that would show up on a background check. THEREFORE, any NEW LAW for background checks WOULD STILL FAIL TO PREVENT MENTALLY ILL PEOPLE FROM GETTING A LEGALLY PURCHASED GUN. It is a paperwork exercise with NO PURPOSE since it cannot be enforced and would ONLY INCONVENIENCE LAW ABIDING citizens and would NOT HAVE PREVENTED ANY MASS SHOOTINGS in the past and will not prevent any in the future. The proposed "universal background check" was nothing but LIP SERVICE for political public relations purposes.

We do not need more gun control laws. We need more NUTCASE control laws. There are already TONS of gun control laws and laws concerning committing a crime with a gun on the books WHICH ARE NOT BEING ENFORCED BY PROSECUTORS AND JUDGES. The mentally ill and criminals are being given a FREE PASS in this discussion.

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/19/13 - 11:12 am
"government versus the

"government versus the people"

In other words and "oppressive" government full of "despots". There is a official government document that addresses that situation. I prefer to believe that document also inferred "idiots" and "fools". When half of the country feels oppressed....and I believe we do....the time is close.

No, I'm not calling for a violent revolution. I am just stating a fact that when half of the people are FORCED to pay for the other half it is just a matter of time until the tipping point for anger and revolt WILL be reached if that situation cannot be resolved and reversed politically. That applies to national, state, and LOCAL issues of taxation and distribution of tax revenues. If you take my money and give it to someone else, I am PO'd. If you keep coming back for more I get REALLY PO'd. I don't care if it's for someone else's free medical care or subsidized bus service. I am tired of being forced to pay lifetime child support for society's wards of the state.

daphne3520
daphne3520 04/19/13 - 11:13 am
countyman
20120
countyman 04/19/13 - 11:57 am
Public transportation

Dichotomy... The property taxes of the CBD, West Augusta, Summerville, Forest Hills, Southwest Augusta, etc are much higher compared to South Augusta.

Since the local public transportation system is not up to par. The majority of people using our system are not the upper middle class population you see in the larger cities.

The majority of riders come from the inner city, East Augusta, and South Augusta.

Around 3,000 people use the system daily, and the number can easily increase to over 5,000 people. All you have to do is connect the Medical District, CBD, Augusta Exchange, Hwy 56/Mike Padgett up to Tobacco rd, Augusta Regional, and Fort Gordon.

I don't understand how you expect for Augusta to attract major private investments with sub par public transportation.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 04/19/13 - 11:57 am
dichotomy's comments

To each and everyone of your comments - I could not have said it any better and am in total agreement. Well said - and it sure saved me a lot of time! Thanks!

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/19/13 - 01:15 pm
countyman....."Both ADP($40

countyman....."Both ADP($40 million) and Starbucks($172 million) said the city must improve the public transportation system."

Fine. Either get them to give up any tax concessions and incentives they got for locating here to pay for better public transportation OR tell me what other projects and/or programs the "city" of Augusta is going to give up in order to fund public transportation out of existing revenue. I'm tired of having my taxes and garbage fees increased to support and subsidize other people and finance the gleam in your eye.

"The property taxes of the CBD, West Augusta, Summerville, Forest Hills, Southwest Augusta, etc are much higher compared to South Augusta."

Well duh! Considering what the city's neglect and Section 8 have done to South Augusta's actual sale values, if the REAL market values were used to calculate our taxes they would probably be half of what they are now. But even so, those areas with higher property taxes are not going to be users of the bus system either. They too will be subsidizing a miniscule number of riders compared to the cost of the service. There is nothing wrong with progress and wanting to have great services, but I ain't getting any of those services or development and your champagne appetite is breaking my beer barrel budget. So don't tell me what we "must" do. I'm doing all I can, actually more than I can, right now and getting damned little for it.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/19/13 - 01:54 pm
Bars Open All Night???

Do most think it's a good idea to have bars and clubs open in Augusta all night? Isn't there a 2 AM closing time now? Goodness, that's late enough. You would have drunks all over the place if the bars never closed. That just doesn't seem like a good environment. Why would any community approve something like that?

countyman
20120
countyman 04/19/13 - 02:54 pm
Cause & Effect

How can you expect to attract the private sector with the current transportation system?

Some of the money from T-Splost will help out the system in the future. Once the public transportation improves the private investments begin to pick up steam. The city will have additional money for schools, law enforcement, roads, etc.

The competition(Charleston, Greenville, Columbia, Chattanooga, Savannah, etc) is trying to improve their public transportation systems, and you have to keep up with the competition.

The city of Augusta has thousands of people who want to use the public transporation system. Those people would ride if the Augusta Exchange, Medical District, Summerville Campus, Fort Gordon, Augusta Regional, CBD, Peach Orchard, and Mike Padgett/Hwy 56 up to Tobacco rd were better connected.

Riverman... The nightlife can end around 5 am, and multiple food options should be available after 1 am. Some people don't get off work until 11 pm, and still want to go out. By the time they drive home, take a shower, and get dress it's already 12am. Thousands of people exist who love to have fun, and don't drink in the CSRA. Any city will have problems of course, but the goal is too open quality nightlife establishments.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/19/13 - 02:43 pm
5 AM

"Riverman... The nightlife can end around 5 am..."

I think that would be a big mistake. But onto the subject of buses...why couldn't or wouldn't a business or a group provide their own bus transportation to their business for workers who live in East Boundary, etc.? The Washington Rd-I-20 motel, restaurant complex has bus riders daily that I see often. I don't mean to belittle them, but the businesses there could send their vans to pick up their employees. Ditto Starbucks.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 04/19/13 - 02:43 pm
One supposes

... the same quixotic approach to background checks for the mentally ill as we have for criminals; criminals are not prosecuted because there is some grey area (only in the mind of liberal jurists) that it amounts to self-incrimination.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 04/19/13 - 02:47 pm
"... People that demand a chance

... at the Opportunity Ladder need to take their hands out of their pockets and grab the 1st rung."

Not a bad quote, but I don't mind their hands in their pockets; it's their hands in MY pockets which I find troubling.

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/19/13 - 03:11 pm
"Why can't the city of

"Why can't the city of Augusta be the next location for a large auto manufacturer?"

You just don't understand. I'm tired of subsidizing downtown. I'm tired of subsidizing East Augusta. I'm tired of subsidizing Paul Simon & associates. I'm just tired. I've lived in RC almost 30 years. For the last 18 years my quality of life has gone steadily down and my taxes have gone steadily up. In fact they have more than doubled. My income has not doubled or anywhere near it. I am taxed but receive little or nothing for it. What services I do get I am charged extra taxes or fees for. Some of the fees are double what they should be because I have to subsidize a methane CNG empire.

You want to build the shining city on the hill. I'm tired of hauling the rock to build the hill. And I know the shining city will NOT include the southeast end of the county. You cannot expect people to get exited about paying for something from which they will never see any benefit. We have been the dumping ground for "redevelopment" and will continue to be the dumping ground. And you expect me to be happy about having to pay more so other people can ride the bus for less than what it costs because you've got me to pay for it.

I secede from your shiny city on the hill dream because I reside in the reality of having to pay for it.