Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RANT TO THE party-goer who stole our Masters flag last night. Too bad you haven’t read all the spiritual flags flown there all year.

RANT HIGHWAY 230 – North Augusta to Edgefield: Please do not throw trash out on the highway. Let’s clean it up ...

I THINK IT IS atrocious to charge residents of Augusta $3 for a Sunday paper just because it’s a MASTERS edition. Why can’t the newspaper publish half of the papers as they always do for Sunday and the other half MASTERS editions for those residents who want them?

RANTS TO THE ROADWORK in Col County on Oakley-Pirkle Road. They don’t know what they are doing, and don’t have a good plan, just want to spend money.

I READ THE HEADLINE: “Congress back to work,” and I’m still laughing. I’ve not laughed so much since a headline said Obama “created” jobs.

RANTS TO STATE OF GEORGIA for giving away our money for sending children to private schools. Spend the money in the public school system so a better education would be possible. Are they NUTS???????

DEMOCRAT, REPUBLICAN, organized labor and Chamber of Commerce leadership agree on immigration reform. The average American sees it for what it is – Open Border Illegal Alien Amnesty!!

CHARGING TO PARK at Evans Towne Center Park playground is greedy. I don’t care if there is a concert at 8 p.m., don’t charge me for parking at 3 p.m. or any other time of the day at a PUBLIC PARK. Two different attendants directed me to free parking across busy Belair Road, which is not the safest option with small children.

A RAVE FOR Augusta National and especially Mr. Cottingham who helped us while at the course. Their hospitality and focus on the patrons continue to make this a special place and event.

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY repetitions in The Chronicle? I am 81 and thank the Lord for my splendid memory!

hankroks
hankroks 04/16/13 - 05:02 pm
Rants to the state of Georgia.

This individual is under the delusion that it takes more money to get a better education. Wake up and smell the roses Sunshine. What it takes is a good attitude and the desire to better ones self.

Shortcomment
Shortcomment 04/16/13 - 07:05 pm
Will someone please fix the

911 & dispatch system process of handling calls and the questions.

Today I got to experience 1st hand the frustration so many people
have voiced rants about here.

Why so many totally irrelevant and useless questions?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/16/13 - 09:00 pm
Shortcomment

Not sure exactly what you are ranting about. Please explain for us that don't understand.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/16/13 - 09:02 pm
#3

I hear you; but can you imagine the logistics involved to do what you ask?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/16/13 - 09:04 pm
Oakley Pirkle comment

I wish you would be more specific. I'm a ColCo taxpayer and would like to know how my reps are wasting money.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/16/13 - 09:07 pm
What he said!

"This individual is under the delusion that it takes more money to get a better education."

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/17/13 - 12:05 am
Another earthquake in Lincolnton...

Surprised nobody reported another small earthquake in Lincolnton, Georgia today. Here's the NEIC link: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/se041613a#summary

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/17/13 - 12:33 am
Short Comment is saying if

Short Comment is saying if you call 911 you have to answer too many irrelevant questions. I don't know what is asked locally, but I've seen TV shows where that impression has struck me, too. Maybe it's just a tough situation with necessary questions, but it does seem like common sense should be more prevalent.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/17/13 - 04:58 am
What may seem like irrelevant

What may seem like irrelevant questions to you at the time of your 911 emergency because at the time all you want is someone to come help, may actually be helpful to the officer/EMT/Fire responding and the dispatcher in knowing how to handle your call.

It might have been helpful for the ranter to have posted what question he/she thought was irrelevant.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 04/17/13 - 05:32 am

Well, after recent events in Atlanta and around the nation, no one wants to walk into a situation like that. What the ranter doesn't know, is that someone is being dispatched while those questions are being asked. It seems that those who choose to not ask questions also choose a lifetime of ignorance! You can't learn unless you ask!

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/17/13 - 06:30 am
911 Dumb questions

Example:
I read a Rant here not long ago of what even I considered a dumb question.

911 Question: Is any one sick at your location?

A question a caller was asked when calling in gun shots in the neighborhood.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/17/13 - 06:41 am
My 911 example

My wife just reminded me of our recent example.

About 2 weeks ago we were headed east on Bobby Jones we were between Wrightsboro Rd and Gordon Hwy.

We notice a driver, driving West using the East bound emergency shoulder. In other words headed in the wrong direction up Bobby Jones.

Picture this: I am driving on Bobby Jones doing 50+ passing a vehicle I see maybe 5 seconds.

911 Questions included: Why did I think the driver was headed in the wrong direction?

Adam Bomb
Adam Bomb 04/17/13 - 06:57 am
No more Good Samaritan.

I witnessed a rather severe car accident and called 911 on my cell phone. After the call I found my cell phone locked by the 911 people so I couldn't take care of my personal business. That's the last time I'll help you. Your inconsiderate action cost me forty minutes of no phone service. A fireman had to call you and tell you to unlock it. Humbug!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 04/17/13 - 07:03 am
How long before the liberals

How long before the liberals are clamoring for congress to pass "pressure cooker control" legislation? I mean, clearly something must be done to stop this. Clearly no one has a "need" for a pressure cooker, much less a high capacity pressure cooker.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/17/13 - 07:18 am
Why?

nocnoc's two posts above are good lessons for us. I will say this — any question a 911 operator asks that begins with the word why is an irrelevant question. All the operator needs to know is what and where.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/17/13 - 07:24 am
Why is it?

Some posters can take the fun out of posting....turn what you say upside down....
Yall can have it today....my heart is not in it.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/17/13 - 07:28 am
Condition, not Cause

Here is an interesting web page giving an example that 911 dispatchers should focus on WHAT (the condition) and not WHY (the cause) when they are taking a 911 call:

San Francisco 911

BamaMan
BamaMan 04/17/13 - 07:38 am

for moving the ALDI ad! It's still very visible, which is what they/you want, but it's not blocking use of the page.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/17/13 - 07:54 am
Risk to 911 Callers

I actually believe 911 operators expect most of the callers in critical situations to hang up at some point. The danger to the caller has to be considered even in reporting highway accidents. The operators probably have a list of questions they are told to ask until the caller can no longer continue. Great examples above. Once the location and type problem is given anything else is gravy with many callers not able to continue the 20 Questions.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/17/13 - 08:40 am
Professional

Hey, I got a kick out of one of the advertisements floating around on this site today. It is for a company that advertises pressure washing of homes. The tag line at the bottom says:

WILL BEAT ANY PROFESSIONAL ESTIMATE!

At least they're honest enough to admit that they are not professionals, themselves.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/17/13 - 09:24 am
Adam Bomb, it's possible the

Adam Bomb, it's possible the 911 operator locked your phone in case dispatch or an officer needed to reach you again. How terrible for those involved in the accident, if information was not complete and an ambulance, fire and resue, or an officer were not able to reconnect with you and someone had died because of it......does your inconvience seem less important now?

In some cases, a dispatcher may ask what appears to be insequential questions when in reality they may be trying to keep the caller calm and on the line until help arrives so that any change in the situation can be relayed to the responding officer or EMTs. Remember you are their eyes and ears until they arrive. Is it really such a big deal to answer a few "dumb" questions.

Jake
Jake 04/17/13 - 09:32 am

I called 911 for the first time in my life last week after my son came home from school and called me to say someone had broken into our house. When the operator found out the situation he quickly transfered my call to the local police 911 number. The operators were very professional and effecient in the questions that were asked.
Foo-Foo, our attack bunny, proved to be totally worthless in the defense of our home and may soon find himself replaced with a more fearsome animal, like a Peek-a-Poo.

daphne3520
daphne3520 04/17/13 - 09:53 am
AWWWW, who in the devil would pay even

a dollar for the Sunday Chronicle?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/17/13 - 10:31 am
Foo-Foo

Sorry to hear about the break-in Jake. I'm glad they didn't try to break in with anybody there.

Jake
Jake 04/17/13 - 11:09 am
Lucky

Thanks, LL. All that was taken was my wife's earrings though the thief did go through some other drawers. I guess we don't have that much stuff that a thief would want. The thief came in through my son's window which was not locked and knocked the contents off of the top of his dresser onto the floor. There was a model of a B-17 that we had worked on together that was broken but that was just about it. They ignored the gaming lap-top that was next to his bed.
Creepy feeling having someone in your house. I don't begrudge folks who have a weapon for home protection though we don't have one. I am considering having security devices installed.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 04/17/13 - 12:01 pm
Security Devices

The best security device I've ever seen was an alarm system without a siren. It had speakers in the house and then activated started a recording of a dog barking with low growls, then with a man's voice heard over the sound of the barking and of a shotgun being loaded(racked) and saying, " I'll take care of this one!" After that they usually find empty shoes and a puddle!!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 04/17/13 - 12:06 pm
Cold beer.......unless they

Cold beer.......unless they come back later and try again and hear exactly the same thing.......sort of reminds me of the Principal going to Ferris Beuler's house.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/17/13 - 12:40 pm
Yes we have some great 911

Yes we have some great 911 and 821-1080 Dispatchers. Who are trained to obtain and apply that training. I have dealt with a few that are straight and to the point requesting specific information regarding the call and having the common sense to know some questions cannot be answered given the situation. The problem I have seen myself is those types are getting further in between.

The good ones stick to the six W’s: where, what, when, who(m), weapons, and welfare.

Here is another example I personally had a few months ago:
I spotted a motorist in the ditch, he missed his driveway turning in from Old Waynesboro Rd., but he was still 1/2 in the road and on a blind curve. I did the call, the 911 operator asked the address I gave her as close as possible, 1 house off. Heck how many cars are in the ditch in the 4100 block of OWR at 8pm? Then she had more and more questions my repeated response was either it was too dark to tell I did not stop to see. Finally I said "I have no more information that I can provide." and hung up. She called me back demanding more answers and said she wasn't finished and the computer needed more info. I said, I did having any more info. and to tell the computer, the person does not know. She then proceeded to lecture me, I hung up again after telling her not to call me back.
...............

While this wasn't a typical Augusta 911 call, it is a example of how some calls are being handled. Like they are read a computer script instead applying common sense logic.

May be the AC will do a FOIA / GA Open Records Request and document a few good and a few really crazily handled calls?

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 04/17/13 - 03:20 pm
Jake - I hate that for you

My wayward son many years ago left my car for a few hours in a Bad place in another county and it was stolen - I can't even imagine what it feels like when they come into your home! I'm in my home 24/7 and have a weapon ( my Goldie - we can see and hear anyone coming in)

Christmas Eve rains to dry up

If Wednesday seemed particularly wet and dreary, you would be right. The day broke the record for the wettest Christmas Eve that Augusta has ever had.