Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

MAYBE I WOULD HAVE enjoyed Masters Week more if it wasn’t for the obnoxious Yankees who invade our town and crowd us locals out of our favorite restaurants.

I WOULD LIKE TO SAY thank you to the gentleman that paid my family’s tab at The Chop House on March 14. We were celebrating my birthday and your unexpected generosity made my night!

FOR AS LONG AS the Azziz empire exists, for as long as there is a school in Augusta with Regents in the name, I will boycott Augusta-Richmond County.

WITH ALL THE DRUG activity you see in Augusta I wonder why a K9 unit isn’t used more often? As many roadblocks as I’ve been through lately, I haven’t seen a one.

RANTS TO THE PEOPLE who tie out their dogs, especially when they give them no shelter from the rain or sun.

RANT TO PEOPLE WHO believe pit bulls are evil. It is all about how they are raised! Just in my family we have a total of 11 pit bulls. Have never had any issues whatsoever! Pit bulls are a part of this nation’s history! Punish the deed, not the breed!

PRETTY FUNNY The Chronicle is surprised by S.C. support for Mark Sanford. S.C. voted for Newt Gingrich in the presidential primary. Newt cheats on wives, changes wives, changes religions based on constituency, had his famous failed “contract with America. Sanford is an amateur compared to Newt.

IF YOU HAVE TO get your parents’ permission to go on a field trip or take an aspirin in school, but not to get an abortion … you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

WHOEVER COMPLAINED about the Blythe mayor and council does not really know what has been accomplished since the new mayor has been in office. Most people know that crossing guards are the responsibility of the school board. Besides, the kids ride buses! And sidewalks would cost half a milllion bucks – want your taxes raised to do that??

QUITE FRANKLY, I am sick and tired of seeing police officers ride around Harlem, and not in fact interacting with the community. This is one of many reasons why I am leaving this unfair city after 17 years. Goodbye, and good riddance!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/15/13 - 07:14 pm
Pit Bulls

Maybe you need to tell that to the family whose daughter was ripped to shreds by the "sweet and loving" pit bulls they owned, "who would never hurt anyone. The children used them as pillows." Tell it to the hundreds of others attacked by these "pets".

"38 U.S. fatal dog attacks occurred in 2012.2 Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 600 U.S. cities,3 pit bulls contributed to 61% (23) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up less than 5% of the total U.S. dog population.4
Together, pit bulls (23) and rottweilers (3), the second most lethal dog breed, accounted for 68% of all fatal attacks in 2012. In the 8-year period from 2005 to 2012, this combination accounted for 73% (183) of the total recorded deaths (251)."

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/15/13 - 06:30 pm
Contract with America failed?

Can you back that up with facts?

KSL
KSL 04/15/13 - 08:34 pm
Riverman1
Riverman1 04/15/13 - 08:43 pm
Newt is an amateur concerning

Newt is an amateur concerning marital infidelity when compared to Bill Clinton.

KSL
KSL 04/15/13 - 08:57 pm
Don't forget that Clinton's

Don't forget that Clinton's fingerprints are all over the failure of agencies to communicate with each other before 9/11.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 04/15/13 - 09:46 pm
Boston Marathon

... proof we give up freedoms and live in a Orwellian police state in exchange for security.

(Not.)

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 04/15/13 - 09:49 pm
A number of those obnoxious Yankees

... must have adapted quickly; I heard a lot of distinctly Sothron accents among the rude visitors.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/15/13 - 10:03 pm
Barry Fleming

Barry Fleming's guest column in Sunday's paper was disgusting. It got very little commenting activity. Why don't we commenters let Barry know how we feel about his self-congratutatory column:

Pat Myself On The Back

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/15/13 - 11:39 pm
If it wasn't for those

If it wasn't for those Yankees we wouldn't have a Fort Gordon or a Masters golf "tuna-mint". Be thankful for the fact that the city has survived this long partly because of the injection of money and jobs those "obnoxious Yankees" bring to the area. Some of those Yankees have been down here so long as PRODUCTIVE members of this community that they go visit family up north who tell them they've got Southern accents. And yes, I've met plenty of obnoxious Southerners during my decades here. Yankees don't have a lock on that trait. It makes me appreciate the people from here, there and everywhere that AREN'T obnoxious. Like Tiger Woods' tantrums make me appreciate the self-disciplined, mannerly gentlemen still left in the sport of golf.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/16/13 - 03:57 am
Someone's leaving a town

Someone's leaving a town because the police don't chit chat with him/her?

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 04/16/13 - 04:40 am
Ranter #1 certainly provides

Ranter #1 certainly provides more evidence that Southern Hospitality is largely a myth.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/16/13 - 06:46 am
Southern Hospitality

A myth? Hardly. Look within.

JRC2024
JRC2024 04/16/13 - 07:35 am
Ranter one, there are people

Ranter one, there are people like you everywhere. You should welcome everyone and tell them to have a good time.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/16/13 - 07:42 am
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 04/16/13 - 07:49 am
Southern Hospitality

Southern Hospitality is what keeps new jobs coming to the area, increases the tax base and keeps our local taxes lower than most! It is widespread and usually encountered with people who were "raised to show respect"! Southern Ignorance, though, has not been bred out, but seems to thrive within certain people who have an entitlement attitude!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/16/13 - 07:44 am
Ya funny...

Will 1 restaurant step up to the plate & refuse yankees...lol....too dang funny...that would mean Cg...he is from upstate New York...but country side though & he is more country now that some of our good ole boys....:)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/16/13 - 07:45 am
I Is A Yankee

but love the Southern Hospitality. There are some pretty nice people down here, but there are some that just ain't!

Word on Sarge, will be operated on this AM to remove the Port A Cath. They believe it is causing the infection he has in his blood. Will be at Dr's for about 10 days. RM 506.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/16/13 - 07:47 am
Scarlett said

She said she was going to do bizzness with them & make those dollars...she won't be hungrrrreey no mo....:)

rockymissy1
rockymissy1 04/16/13 - 07:52 am
Pit Bulls

Are great dogs. I have two myself and I would love to know how the dogs that attacked that poor little girl were raised? Were they fighting dogs and then this family adopted them?

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/16/13 - 07:55 am
We need the dogs esp K-9 dogs

I have a feeling we will see MORE K9 dogs at all events....inside-outside ....around cars & packs of all kind...I myself welcome them.....they can sniff if they wanta...I'm not trying to be funny .....they will be the best protection we can have in any event because this CRAP is not going away.....our freedoms are fading & I hate to see it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/16/13 - 08:04 am
You will now,,I betcha

BamaMan
BamaMan 04/16/13 - 08:04 am
Griping about

the obnoxious Yankees. For cryin out loud. If you can't put off going out to eat for a few days, you're just a grouch. Those Yankees and everyone else that comes and spends a ton of money in our area every year make an otherwise boring place alittle special, if only for a week or so. Eat out NEXT week. I'm sure they'll tell you they missed you.

rockymissy1
rockymissy1 04/16/13 - 12:41 pm
#8

What is America coming to? They take prayer out of school and look what happens....

Great big "Thank you" to the democrates!!!

(Yeah Right...!!)

We do live in a country ran by idiots!!!

allhans
allhans 04/16/13 - 08:13 am
The visitors are great for

The visitors are great for restaurants...$20.00 tip beats a $2.00 tip any day.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/16/13 - 08:21 am
Funny CGee

I think I might just call you "Iisayankee" you is "sumthin" that's for sure...♥

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/16/13 - 08:27 am
I bet most Master's visitors

I bet most Master's visitors are from the South. But these days it's kind of hard to tell a Southerner from a Westerner or an upstate New Yorker. We're all conservatives.

junkyardpig
junkyardpig 04/16/13 - 08:28 am
the yankees bring money to

the yankees bring money to help all us southerns who enjoy lots welfare, lots of crime and mansions on wheels

purmkinhed
purmkinhed 04/16/13 - 08:33 am
Ranter #1

Hey, hey, hey! Watch that Y word!!! I'm a "Yankee". I moved to SC 18 years ago and I am NOT rude and I am NOT obnoxious! I love my southern neighbors!!! So much in fact that I married me a fine southern gentleman! I am originally from CT/NYC and trust me, there are rude and obnoxious people everywhere. The Masters is a major sporting event and there will of course be people there from all over the world. You know this if you are a native to this area and if you aren't comfortable with that little fact then move. I personally don't go anywhere near Washington Rd. during The Masters and guess what? There are plenty of other restaurants in surrounding towns.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/16/13 - 08:59 am
rockymissy

INRE the pit bulls. I don't know about the mother dog, but the others were pups raised by that family as pets.

For every story about how great they are, I can quote another where supposedly sweet dogs went awry and attacked someone. The same thing can happen with any breed of dog, but most don't have the capacity or instinct to kill you.

The two pits I've had the most exposure to have/had wonderful dispositions and would only hurt me by licking the skin off my hands and arms. However, one of them escaped the yard one day and went on a killing spree around the neighborhood, destroying several pets. The second one never gets out of the sight of her owner, so I don't know what she might do if loose and running the streets.
Just based on the unpredictability of their behavior, I would never trust one around children or other pets. That is painting a whole group on the behavior of some, but since I can't know in advance which are dangerous and which are not; I would rather keep my distance from all of them.
I treat some humans that way too.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/16/13 - 09:02 am
Ask the local servers

if they would rather have YOU or the yankees at their table during Masters week. It is their biggest income week of the year, so you staying home is to their benefit.