Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

ALCOHOL AND GUNS are a deadly combination but, sadly, most Americans love both.

DID DANIEL BOONE have a government hunting license? Did Boone get government approval to go armed? Well, should present-day Americans have to put up with such unconstitutional, power-grabbing, tyrant stuff?

I JUST READ IN Colum­bia County newsletter where there’s a book signing at the Evans Library on May 4. It says there will be beer and wine. It’s a library, folks, not a bar. What’s next? Beer at the Little League games at Patriots Park?

ROUNDTREE OBVIOUSLY did poorly in math. Rather than using his officers to make Augusta safer and retain its white tax base, he is causing them to flee the county by attempting to raise money with traffic violations.

OBAMA SAYS BANKERS should lend to weak borrowers, i.e., people who likely will never repay their loans. Either Obama is purposely trying to kill the U.S. or he is grossly ignorant about finances and the economy. or both!

I RECENTLY SOLD a house and paid a five-figure Realtor’s commission. I was satisfied with my agent’s performance and neither expected nor wanted more from her. As a thank you, I received a gift card from her so paltry that I was offended. I will select another agent when I sell my next two homes. Sometimes, less is better. I would have been happy with a “thank you” card.

WOULDN’T IT BE fun if liberals wanted to treat all our rights equally? Imagine a background check to vote. Imagine having to buy insurance and pay a tax before you could vote. Imagine if a waiting period was required before you could vote.

I SURE MISS KATIE on WRDW’s 5 o’clock news. It hasn’t been the same since she left.

WHY ON EARTH DID so many people pick the philandering, lying Mark Sanford? Was he somehow the best of bad choices among the Republicans?

I’M AS GUILTY AS THE next guy who sees people that are accused of crimes listed in various publications and making judgment calls about them and their likely guilt. Yet after seeing someone who I personally know in that position and the hateful assumptions being made, I think we all need to watch our comments because they destroy lives once innocence is proved.

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/14/13 - 11:46 pm
"ALCOHOL AND GUNS are a

"ALCOHOL AND GUNS are a deadly combination but, sadly, most Americans love both."

Drugs and abortion are pretty deadly too but sadly most Democrats favor both.

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/15/13 - 12:04 am
"DID DANIEL BOONE" Yeh, I'd

"DID DANIEL BOONE"

Yeh, I'd love to see how old Daniel would have handled the taxation and regulation of the Obama administration. And NOBODY would have voted to convict.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/15/13 - 03:17 am
Ban alcohol then. I don't

Ban alcohol then. I don't drink much at all anyway. And just think, with no more DUIs the court dockets would be much shorter. No more injuries from drunk drivers. And we know already that if alcohol was banned no one would resort to illegal alcohol, since that would be illegal.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/15/13 - 06:39 am
Nice Try

While I like the example of a reverse left handed comment, but you FAILED to protect your "left" flank.

Your attempt to portray ALCOHOL AND GUNS as a single narrow minded fact was too obvious.

Let me expand to make it correct.

Most Americans that have Guns, Love Food, Car, families, and respect the Law and yes depending on the individual may love a beer, water, kool-aide Ice Tea, Coffee and diet Cokes.

But let me use the same style in another way.

Liberals, socialists and other anti-constitutionalists love higher taxes, steal from the producers and enslave the poor for voted.

justthefacts
21971
justthefacts 04/15/13 - 06:42 am
Augusta

Big rave to Augusta and the ANCG. Another great year. It never gets old, just better. Out of towners have a great experience. AC also did a super job this week. I think folks really enjoyed the look back at times gone by. Cudos.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/15/13 - 06:44 am
OBAMA SAYS BANKERS should lend to weak borrowers...

An we have come full circle back the very process that laid the path that started the housing melt down back in 1992.

The problem with a Liberal is they don't understand living within their EARNED Income. They are too busy living off everybody elses efforts.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/15/13 - 06:49 am
ROUNDTREE OBVIOUSLY did poorly in math.

I campaigned against Roundtree, I fought hard not to see him elected.

But, I must admit he is slowing idiots down, reducing the number of wrecks, instilling the overall idea that there is a Police Presents patrolling
ARC. Which goes a long way in a criminals mind to thinking maybe some place else.

Or have you failed to notice the results posted in the paper recently?

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/15/13 - 06:52 am
government hunting licenses

Are nothing more than a Cover TAX to preclude a person the ability to feed his / her family without paying taxes at the Supermarket.

Some Cities even have Veggie Garden Taxes, Rain taxes, laws against collecting rain fall, having a Water Well and etc... just to get you to use things they control and can tax 1 way or the other.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/15/13 - 06:54 am
Evans Library on May 4 beer and wine.

You must missed the announcement that it was Ladies Night and they drink free☺

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/15/13 - 07:24 am
About the Booze at the Library

I can read better after a drink until the lines start going double and I have to close one eye.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/15/13 - 07:35 am
RCSO

I was a Freddie Sanders supporter for Sheriff, but I have to acknowledge the noticeable effect Sheriff Roundtree, his staff and community policing methods are having in Augusta. I previously commented that I saw the dynamics of a black police chief in Charleston producing an extraordinary drop in crime and I believe that's at work here, too. See what I mean now?

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/15/13 - 07:45 am
River

Yes ..I can see.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/15/13 - 07:51 am
What did Obama know that the Reps didn't

The edge was the data mining groups.....the Dems did a great job getting info on the middle of the road voter...they targeted that voter....

We are so naive to the brain & data think tanks the politicians use....they know what we buy---what social medias we use--who we call---what restaurants we frequent-- what we watch on tv....geez...forget privacy...we haven't had that in YEARS....this link is a long read but it gives info on how we are mined for targeting from direct mailings & calls from politicians..

etlinks
20919
etlinks 04/15/13 - 07:58 am
Yes it was a good Masters and

Yes it was a good Masters and Adam Scott is a great champion.

justthefacts
21971
justthefacts 04/15/13 - 08:12 am
Adam Scott

Yes, he seems a great kid. He's got to get rid of that long putter though.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/15/13 - 08:17 am
What JTF

He won the Masters & you want him to throw a long putter in the ditch!!

Splain that one please...:)

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/15/13 - 08:22 am
But why?

"I saw the dynamics of a black police chief in Charleston producing an extraordinary drop in crime and I believe that's at work here, too. See what I mean now?"

I agreed with you 100% about Greenberg's success in Charleston, and clearly Sheriff Roundtree has not sprinkled pixie dust over ARC to work that magic in 3 months.

WHYISIT? Just a respect in the minority community to help the sheriff do well? Nah, criminals and neer-do-wells don't give a hoot.

Fear that since "he is one of us", people will rat us out and we will be caught? Maybe

Actually having more police presence in the areas of concern, showing more visibility? Likely; but still, that has nothing to do with his ethnicity.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 04/15/13 - 08:21 am
From yesterday's comics section

... came this summation of the Masters, I'm paraphrasing, "Four rounds of golf played with the winner receiving a jacket suitable for wear on St. Patricks' Day."

The good news is the Obama of Golf didn't win. He is consistent, though, a cheater both on and off the course.

If he had won due to the Club's weak-kneed ruling, would they have put an asterisk next to his name in the records?

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 04/15/13 - 08:23 am
Yup, guns and alcohol

... along with drugs and infanticide. Which of these is the most reprehensible?

justthefacts
21971
justthefacts 04/15/13 - 08:26 am
Long Putter

Because it goes against the rules of golf and should not be allowed.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/15/13 - 08:27 am
The Long Putter Dilemma

JTF, his long putter is going to put more pressure on the powers that be to drop the pending rule. How can you not let the man who won the Masters put the way he did when he won?

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 04/15/13 - 08:28 am
"... What’s next? Beer at the Little League

... games at Patriots Park?"

Why not? It's about the patrons, not the alcohol. Like guns, alcohol has a terrific record; never has jumped on someone and commited a crime.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/15/13 - 08:28 am
anotherday

^^I think more of that is going on now....imo

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/15/13 - 08:30 am
against the rules

Call me a dumb bunny but how could he play with it if it is against the rules??

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/15/13 - 08:32 am
It's not outlawed yet,

It's not outlawed yet, Seenit, but will be.

Well, let me go into work and clean up some of the mess of nobody working more than about 9 seconds a day all last week. Heh. See y'all for a while.

justthefacts
21971
justthefacts 04/15/13 - 08:38 am
Rules

Technically it is not against the rules as applied by the USGA until 2016. But, it should never have been allowed to begin with. To quote the greatest golfer ever, Arnold Palmer. "That's not part of the game of golf. To attach it to your body in any way is taking a little bit away from the game. I'm not going to argue with anybody about it. I've stated my position, and that is we do not need a contraption to play the game of golf."

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/15/13 - 08:40 am
Don't get it then

A putter won the Masters but lo & behold it will be outlawed.....can't compute---can't compute......that is like telling a female that her new shoes got the most attention---looked the best--everyone wants a pair BUT they just can't make anymore ....
btw I did see some CUTE flip flops a small child had on yesterday & they lit up & flashed sparkling colors when she walked....I wanted to know where the mother found them ...haha..she thought for a child of mine BUT hey....for ME!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/15/13 - 08:44 am
Arnold Palmer

I respect his opinion but things will probably change...like EVERYTHING else in this ole world.....some I can't stand btw....my mind is tired of it.....maybe it is true, ole dogs take longer to adapt to stuff.....anyway this ole dog has stuff to do.....dang it....seeyall

justthefacts
21971
justthefacts 04/15/13 - 08:45 am
Integrity

There have to be rules.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 04/15/13 - 09:08 am
Beatings

The Beatings will continue until Moral improves!!!