Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

CAN THE CITY PLEASE replace the moldy sound barrier wall when getting off Bobby Jones Expressway, Exit 7, Peach Orchard/Windsor Spring? It looks awful, and people in south Augusta pay taxes and we demand better.

TO THE RANTER WITH the insects: Please do report the situation to the health department so you and your surrounding area can be helped out. We do need to know what kind of bugs these are that would surround you so badly.

PLEASE THOROUGHLY check out the dealer who Richard Roundtree is buying the cars from. Call out the price on it and see if any local dealer really could match the price of it. Is the winning” dealer from out of town, any relative or longtime connection to Roundtree or any of the new higher-ups installed by Roundtree?

I DO NOT BELIEVE THE Richmond County Board of Education ever protects children. Dr. Frank Roberson never should have been hired in the first place. He makes too much money for doing nothing. Where are the cameras at the schools and security? This should be at all schools. This teacher Francine Wynn should be fired on the spot. She shouldn’t be allowed to finish out the year. I agree with the mother: If she had abused her kid (she) should would be in jail. I do not have any faith in the school board at all.

IT ISN’T TOO difficult to figure out why the multiple births of teen mothers in Georgia. Each new birth brings in more welfare and child payments for the nonworking mothers, some of whom, I might say, could not care less about the well-being of that child. It costs us more money to support them all!

THE ATLANTA CHEATING scandal is a trickle-down of Bush’s failed No Child Left Behind. Your editorial seemed to miss how big government causes these things. Could it be that it was a Republican thing?

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 04/13/13 - 05:47 pm
Of course cheating is a result

... of 'No Child Left Behind.' There is no provision for promotion by racial set-aside or quota; gotta make the numbers somehow. As for it being Bush's fault, this law was passed in the House with only 10% "No" votes, 10 Democrats and 35 Republicans.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 04/13/13 - 05:43 pm
"... people in south Augusta pay taxes

... and we demand better."

Good luck with that.

Jake
Jake 04/13/13 - 08:08 pm
Candy

In reference to #6.
When I fly from the west coast to the east coast and back again, I buy small boxes of Aunt See's candies to give to the flight attendants. They have a very thankless job and my best friend's daughter is one so I know of their hardships. Serving people of all types can be very trying.
Most of the time they go out of their way to give me things that I did not order or want out of appreciation for my gift. Some times they do not acknowledge my gift. To me it does not matter. It is the giving that is important, not the "thank you".

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/13/13 - 09:41 pm
About the Deputy Not Thanking the Couple

I can’t put my finger on it, but there’s something about gift etiquette in public. I was in the Army and spent lots of times in bars as soldiers tend to do and had to travel a good bit using airports all over the world. I had people buy me drinks or pay for my food a few times over the years. I thanked one gentleman and he looked uncomfortable and told me to never thank anyone who paid for my drink or food. He said they wouldn’t have done it if they didn’t want to. It kind of surprised me, but I do think some people are embarrassed if you thank them and maybe there is some kind of social code about quietly accepting drinks and meals without public acknowledgment to the giver. Noticing how others handled similar gifts over the years, I do believe it's common to quietly accept the gift without saying anything. It could very well be the deputy didn’t know you wouldn't feel uncomfortable accepting a public thanks. I hope you understand what I mean. Thanks for what you did.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/13/13 - 09:46 pm
Deep

Deep in the writing of St. Vincent de Paul are truths learned from one who served the dregs of humanity. Vincent de Paul learned that those who take your charity will often spit upon you, curse you, and defy you. Nevertheless, those who are committed to true charity will persevere, no matter what their clients do.

JRC2024
JRC2024 04/13/13 - 09:53 pm
The walls on 520 can be

The walls on 520 can be cleaned and have been but the misfits keep writing on them.

Darby
Darby 04/13/13 - 10:04 pm
"It looks awful, and people in

south Augusta pay taxes and we demand better."

Is that the royal "we" or is the writer representing a committee?

Darby
Darby 04/13/13 - 10:08 pm
"Even though the deputy had to pass

by our table several times for food he never once looked in our direction, much less a polite thank you."

If you're doing it in anticipation of a "Thank you", then just maybe you should stop doing it.

Darby
Darby 04/13/13 - 10:17 pm
"Could it be that it was a

Republican thing?"

You do know, don't you that while No Child Left Behind was Bush's project, it was written largely by the staff of Ted Kennedy and sponsored by him?

You did know that didn't you?

PS - And even if Democrats had not written the No Child bill, are you suggesting that manipulation of test results originated only recently?

I ask only because history is rife with similar examples.

rebellious
20780
rebellious 04/14/13 - 01:27 am
So Darby....

Quoth he ""It looks awful, and people in south Augusta pay taxes and we demand better." Is that the royal "we" or is the writer representing a committee?"

There is no more royalty in South Augusta, friend! Just Bitter Clingers paying taxes. Et tu Brute?

rebellious
20780
rebellious 04/14/13 - 01:34 am
Dangit, I agree with Riverman1

QUOTE: MY WIFE AND I eat out a lot and pay for meals for military personnel and they are very appreciative. Recently in a buffet we paid for three meals, one for the Richmond County deputy sheriff in line behind us. When I told the cashier and the young deputy that the third meal was for him, you would have thought we committed a crime. Even though the deputy had to pass by our table several times for food he never once looked in our direction, much less a polite thank you.end quote

If you gave looking for thanks or recognition, you gave for the wrong reason. It is possible to do the right thing for the wrong reason. Examine your heart.

rebellious
20780
rebellious 04/14/13 - 01:39 am
Syylllvvviiaaa

Guess we took a week of vacation this week?

Enjoy, I guess, since this was kid glove week in the media. BwaaaHaaa

rebellious
20780
rebellious 04/14/13 - 01:40 am
Rumors

of my demise have been greatly exagerrated (sp?).

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 04/14/13 - 06:40 am
Re: the thankless

Re: the thankless deputy.
Although the act of kindness was rather random, it's a strict policy in many law enforcement agencies that officers do not accept gratuities from anyone...no matter how small. I know this has not been the case in Richmond County, but perhaps the rules have been changed recently and the deputy didn't quite know how to handle it..
In any case, I agree with a couple of posters above...if it bothered the benefactor so much that he had to write a rant to the newspaper, he was doing it for the wrong reason and probably should just stop and save himself any future aggravation.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/14/13 - 07:27 am
Well now let me honest here..rat hear!

We all like a little thankya now & then...don't have to have it but it is nice.....when I let someone in traffic I wait for that wave--nod--smile--blink of lights.... I look for it.....if they don't give it I feel a little miffed---not much, but just a tad....I always TRY to give a wave of thanks or say thank you..if we didn't give it the world could come to a standstill & we wouldn't want that, now would we..haha

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/14/13 - 07:30 am
About this

I honestly think Rebel & ICL should get out there & pressure wash that theeeng....Dichotomy could supervise ..........cause Rebel ain't dead yet....I know he ain't dead....cause I asked him & he said he was NOT!

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/14/13 - 07:36 am
and if that ring don't shine....

If the punks come back to mess up that newly cleaned sound barrier I think CGee should stand guard & hit them in the fanny with buckshot......that is what is wrong with the population today...we are too darn pc & skkeeered ...we know they need buckshot in their hiney...you can't mess up stuff with a hurting hiney....lol

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/14/13 - 07:40 am
This rant

No...that is what you call a cheating thing...I think I played that song yesterday...yeh pretty sure I did...but nclb doesn't help a thing..imho.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/14/13 - 07:46 am
We know...why can't Dc figure it out

I wish I could put a song on here called Dat ain't my baby....but since itis Masters Week & since SM still reads this stuff....I want to live another day...haheheha

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/14/13 - 07:47 am
Agree with both Riverman1 and Rebellious

If you give for the recognition or thanks, it is nice, but not with the right heart.

Our family seems to focus on WWII veterans and older couples.
But we handle it anonymously, whenever we can, or just say someone gave us the money to do it and wants to remain anonymous.

It is really enjoyable to note the reaction from people that someone cares in this world.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/14/13 - 07:57 am
nocnoc said..

Agree with both Riverman1 and Rebellious

Naaah, I don't all the time because they both stay so pumped already everyday.......they need a little aggravation & I'm just the one to give it....♥....they do make me laugh a lot!

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/14/13 - 08:05 am
nocnoc
nocnoc 04/14/13 - 08:24 am
Too the lame brain that "THE

Too the lame brain that "THE ATLANTA CHEATING scandal is a trickle-down of Bush’s failed No Child Left Behind. "

The goal is to make sure every student is taught to the same standards and no student graduating HIGH SCHOOL can't read.

If that is bad then likely you can't read my response and had to phone in your RANT.

Look at the figures.

Over $100 BILLION was spent to ensure the students success.

The hook to get the money was where the problem lay.
Students had to learn, be tested to demonstrate they learned it.
This was done to keep educators from just passing dumb kids to get the money. The No Child Left Behind Act was strongly supported by the NEA at the time.

But when it became clear to the Liberals it was put up or shut up time they panicked.

It meant they had to produce results or admit that some NEA ideas were never workable.

If this is bad in your book
you have a serious lack of understanding of the cause, or are just reciting words you heard, or are one of the VERY FEW teachers with tenure, that needed to be weeded out.

If you can read, then I leave you with this question:

Did the Atlanta School District Cheat because the students in
ONLY Atlanta can't learn? Or did they cheat because they can't teach the students of Atlanta?

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/14/13 - 08:16 am
Grave robbers in Burke county

Put some buckshot in them too...get coldbeer to do the honors....he knows how to aim....:)

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/14/13 - 08:39 am
Thanks SeenitB4

Thanks SeenitB4 (8:05am)...great article that brings back fond memories of how things use to be (not the soap part)

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/14/13 - 08:46 am
Grave Robbers reward

I feel an unmarked grave for them is the most appropriate reward.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/14/13 - 08:52 am
itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/14/13 - 09:41 am

When I buy a meal for a soldier or elderly person, I do it anonymously. I do not want them to feel uncomfortable or obligated to say anything, and I still get my personal reward for just doing it. Anything else seems like "look what I did for you".

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/14/13 - 09:55 am
THE ATLANTA CHEATING......is

THE ATLANTA CHEATING......is the product of a segment of an industry (yes, education is an industry) that has failed to produce a useable product for 30 years or more and resorted to cheating when they were told they had to meet some Quality Assurance standards.

I cannot believe parents and supposedly educated people are against having some type of performance evaluation testing. The problem is NOT the testing. The problem is that the discipline in the classrooms and the quality of our teachers have deteriorated so far that the students CANNOT PASS ANY LEVEL OF PERFORMANCE EVALUATION TESTS.

We are graduating young adults from high school who read BELOW the 8th grade level, have NO CLUE about history, geography, or any other form of social studies, cannot do BASIC MATH and fractions, and have little or no knowledge of any form of science. The ONLY way to measure the performance of both students and their teachers is with WRITTEN tests. If a student cannot READ, COMPREHEND, and ANSWER questions on a test then they have NOT been educated and the teachers DID NOT do their job. It's got nothing to do with George Bush it's got to do with reality and the fact that we are turning out ignorant high school graduates who are basically functional illiterates and spending a helluva lot of money to do it. No Child Left Behind was written and sponsored by Ted Kennedy and his staff and almost ALL Democrats supported it. It was thought to be a GREAT IDEA until if proved that our teachers, our school systems, and our administrators are all incompetent and that ALL of this huge amount of money we have been throwing away for 30 years has BOUGHT US NOTHING except ignorant high school graduates and teachers who will lie, cheat, and steal to keep their jobs and get bonuses.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 04/14/13 - 10:35 am
For myself

... I often eat at Cracker Barrel or Sunrise Grill. If there is a peace officer there I simply ask the waitress (can we still call them that?) for their bill ON MY WAY OUT. Never had a problem, they know what I'm about. I pay both and leave; that way, there is no feeling of obligation on either of our parts.

Group demands hearing on commissioner appointment

City leaders appeared to warm to a request Monday by the West Augusta Alliance to hold one or more public hearings before appointing an interim District 7 commissioner to serve until Donnie ...