Small earthquake shakes Augusta area

Sunday, April 7, 2013 8:58 PM
Last updated 10:01 PM

A 2.5-magnitude earthquake occurred about five miles northeast of Lincolnton on Sunday afternoon, the third minor tremor to shake the Augusta area in three years.

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

The U.S. Geological Survey reported the quake about 3:30 p.m., near Hickory Knob State Park in McCormick, S.C.

No damage was recorded, but the quake reportedly sent shocks as far west as Grovetown and Evans. The U.S. Geological Survey’s National Earthquake Information Center in Golden, Colo., reported the quake had an intensity of 2.5 on a scale of 10, which is light shaking.

concercitizen
concercitizen 04/07/13 - 08:30 pm
Shhhh! I was getting romantic

Shhhh! I was getting romantic with my wife about that time, and she still thinks I made it happen!

TheGeorgian
TheGeorgian 04/08/13 - 12:07 am
Quake

We are in South Richmond near the county line and felt nothing at all. What is causing these quakes? Any theories?

paladin5
paladin5 04/08/13 - 03:08 am
NATIONAL EARTHQUAKE INFORMATION CENTER

Information is available to explain why earthquakes occur and in what regions "faults" exists. Shifts in plates create what is often reported as loud explosions. I believe a fault exists through SRS.....Great News, Right?

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/08/13 - 04:18 am
Bubba

slipped and fell setting off the event.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/27/13 - 12:33 pm
There are more than one...

There are several faults in the area and more earthquakes since that 2.5 was reported, including four small earthquakes in the Lincolnton area in the last 24 hours, the most recent early this morning. I'm curious if this is normal fault activity or if there is a mining operation in that area, for instance, near the "mountain" that opens up for rockhounds occasionally. I'm surprised Augusta Chronicle hasn't mentioned yesterday's quakes or the one this morning which I've linked: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/se042713a#summary