Turnout is light at Augusta gun show

Golf trumped guns in Augusta on Saturday.

Back | Next
Andy Carty of On the Square Guns shows off his forearm tattoo of the
Second Amendment.   STEVE CRAWFORD/STAFF
STEVE CRAWFORD/STAFF
Andy Carty of On the Square Guns shows off his forearm tattoo of the Second Amendment.

Unlike the activity swarming around Washington Road in anticipation of the Masters Tour­nament, traffic was light and turnout low for a gun and knife show at the Augusta Exchange Club Fairgrounds.

Billed as Augusta’s “first ever gun, knife, prepper and bike expo,” the event promoted by Gun­runners Shows boasted vendors selling everything from pistols to pickles and included live bands, classic cars and children’s activities.

Most of the action, however, involved the trade of guns and ammunition, and even that seemed light.

Beth Guiffre, of Shadowsmith Ammo, said she was disappointed in the turnout but understood that residents might be distracted by the other big event about to kick off across town.

“It has been slow, more like 300, not 3,000,” she said, referring to the number of patrons coming by her booth Saturday.

She and her husband own an ammunition store in Cartersville, Ga., and have been working at gun shows almost every weekend since August.

Though ammunition sales are still going strong, it has died down a lot from the frenzy that occurred after the Newtown, Conn., massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School that left 28 children and adults dead.

Guiffre said gun owners feared a “knee-jerk” reaction by lawmakers that would restrict gun and ammunition purchases, so they hurried to stock up. Just a month ago, gun shows were swamped with customers, she said.

“There were people three deep just handing us money,” she said. “It was crazy.”

Andy Carty, of On the Square Guns, agreed that some of the fears over potential legislation had diminished. A master gunsmith and firearms trainer, Carty said ammunition, especially 9 mm and .22-caliber, remains the merchandise in more demand.

“Everything is hard to get right now,” he said. Smaller retailers can’t compete with the larger chains in supply or prices, and demand isn’t letting up, he said.

Carty brought only two 500-round “bricks” of .22-caliber ammo with him for the gun show – all he had on hand. He sold both for $100 each first thing Saturday morning.

“People are afraid that they are going to pass a law that violates their rights,” said Carty, who sports a tattoo of the Second Amendment on his forearms.

Aaron Jordan, of Aiken, isn’t in a panic to acquire more guns. He said he owns more than 70 different firearms, including an O.F. Mossberg and Sons .22-caliber pump-action rifle more than a century old.

Like many others, he and his 18-year-old son Travis had come to the show in search of .22-caliber ammo. They walked out with a bag-full – 3,300 rounds that had cost him $300, which he said was still too high.

Jordan, an Army veteran, said he wasn’t worried about Congress passing new gun laws that would affect his rights.

“They won’t be able to do it,” he said, chuckling. “There are way too many rednecks left around here.”

The gun and knife show continues today from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Exchange Club Fairgrounds, 301 Hale St.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/07/13 - 07:26 am
Did Seth from Hardcore Pawn

Did Seth from Hardcore Pawn show up?

peebhvac
peebhvac 04/07/13 - 08:29 am
You don't schedule an event

You don't schedule an event when a majority of the Augusta and surrounding area is leaving town for spring vacation. Not many people stay home during Masters.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/07/13 - 09:49 am
Does the Fed's need to kill Gun Shows

Or will certain gun shows with a loss of focus and an identity kill themselves?

Remember when attending a Gun show meant good prices and a selection?

Remember when a Gun show was a Buyers market?

Remember when a Gun Show was a GUN SHOW and not a Jewelry Expo, Cleaning products demo, Car & Biker gang rally?

Remember when Gun Shows had Ammo and better prices than the stores.

Examples: As the article read 3300 rounds of 22LR for $300,
& a 500-round Bricks of 22LR for $100.

Current Typical Store Prices
(subject to availability)
Academy Sports - 550 rd 22LR Brick $19.95 to $21.95 (1 box per caliber)

Walmart - 550 rd 22LR Brick $21.95 to $24.95 (3 boxes per day)

Show Price for a 500-round Brick of 22LR $100 (No Limit)

Academy Sports - 100 rd 22LR Block $5.95 (1 box per caliber)
Walmart - 100 rd 22LR Block $6.95 (3 boxes per day)

SO!, IF someone was able to acquire 3300 rounds of 22LR for $300 and the 2 listed stores sell the same amount for $198 to $231. They paid anywhere from 30% to 300% more than typical store prices. Plus they had to pay $8.00 to get in and purchase it.

The one main advantage the gun show has over stores, if the amounts are true is a few people were able to purchase large amounts at one time without the hunting around as currently needed in major stores.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/07/13 - 09:46 am
GOLF WINS

The timing my friend....vacation time for many in the csra..

bubbasauce
bubbasauce 04/07/13 - 11:15 am
I don't think its all timing

I don't think its all timing seenitB4, I went to the last one and after I left I told myself I would never go to another one any time soon because as nocnoc said in his post everything is sky high! All I purchased that day was a miniature screw driver set. So that's the one and only gun show I will ever go to.

Darby
Darby 04/07/13 - 04:35 pm
Don't need no stinkin' gun show....

I get everything I need from the Internet and cheaper too. Right now, though, everyone seems to be back ordering high cap magazines.

I can wait though, I have enough for now.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/07/13 - 08:47 pm
Never really got into AR's I

Never really got into AR's

I have always thought in a sudden urban survival situation, where Downtown goes crazy w/o warning or notice. I would be a happier man armed with a 12 Ga. with 00 Buck Shot and a 22 pistol with 2 clips & a extra 100 rds.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/07/13 - 08:50 pm
seenitB4 - what was the turn out

at the Eastman Gun Show in Gwinnett?

BTW: NO word IF the Hard Core Pawn (actor) showed up?
What gives?

Darby
Darby 04/07/13 - 09:36 pm
Nocnoc - I fully expect never to have

to shoot at another live human being again for the rest of my life. It just makes me feel better to know that I can if it comes to that.

As for handguns and shotguns, they are fine and I like both. On the other hand, neither will be all that effective at 100 or 200 meters and if someone is coming after me, I'd like to stop them as far out as possible.

The bottom line, as I said, I never expect to have to fire a weapon again in anger. It just gives me the greatest, almost unimaginable pleasure just knowing that by buying hi-cap magazines that I'm driving some liberal nuts.

It's almost an aphrodisiac. Maybe almost isn't quite strong enough a word in this case.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/08/13 - 10:50 am
Darby - Agree @ 100m to 200m

AR or AK is a viable weapon.

Just comfortable with my plan in a urban situation .

But yes I have toys for reaching out.

Darby
Darby 04/08/13 - 01:09 pm
Nocnoc - and I agree with you regarding

the "short" guns. That's why you will never find me without my Taurus Millennium .40 cal. And with a 3.3 inch barrel it IS pretty short.

Well, I can't say never because I plan to attend my granddaughters graduation at NYU next month and from what I understand, the liberal police state there is not that tolerant of the Second Amendment.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/08/13 - 06:37 pm
Local Ammo Price UP

@1:30pm today Academy still had about 40 boxes of Winchester Wildcat 22LR 40 gr. 1250 fps (50rds). Price $2.98 a box of 50.

Or about $5.00 +/- cheaper a box of 50 than the Gun Show prices, $102 less for 3300. (if you could buy in bulk.)

If the Gun Shows want to attract me as a customer again, they are going to have to start putting the type of Ammo available and price ranges on their websites.

I am not wasting 2+ hours in line plus $8 only to find sky high prices or no ammo at all again.

Faces of Survival: Breast Cancer Awareness Month series

Breast cancer has touched thousands of families across the Augusta area. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October, The Au­gus­ta Chronicle will be featuring ...