Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THE RCBE TAKING INTO consideration providing transportation to alternative school students with the cuts to education? Those students gave up their right for transportation when they did not follow rules of conduct. And now their parents want taxpayers to pay for the bus to pick their child up?

WHY IS SO MUCH MORE spent downtown than in the suburbs, when almost 60 percent of the property taxes come from the suburbs? The suburbs are being forced to supply money to an addict that has a spending problem.

RANT FOR LACK OF parking at the Ruffin Courthouse. The only option seemed to be across the railroad tracks in another paved lot! If you have to cross the railroad tracks a pedestrian walkway should be established.

WAY TO GO, Richmond School Board. Tossing away $241,000. What a foolish bunch of yahoos you are. We need to get you people replaced.

WHY DO AT LEAST a quarter of all Richmond County jail inmates have personal cellphones? Does “security” even try to stop it anymore?

IN RESPONSE TO the person who stated that North Augusta does not want the stadium. SPEAK FOR YOURSELF (riverfront property owner). You do not represent most of North Augusta who does want the stadium!

THANK GOD WE have at least one wise commissioner. Donnie Smith, thank you for speaking with much intelligence. You’re appreciated.

RANT TO THE sheriff’s deputy who continues to drive erratically on Boy Scout Road. I noticed him passing a delivery truck on a double yellow line going into a curve. Talk about dangerous drivers.

IT SOUNDS LIKE SOME of these students need to walk to school. Get creative, parents. Make car pools. Get your children there; you can find a way. Exercise will do the kids good. They are being punished for a reason. The buses are a privilege. Walking a little bit is not going to hurt them.

WHY DOESN’T COMCAST keep the employees being laid off at the Augusta call center and lay off the employees at the call center in the Philippines?

SEAN RULES THE comments with an iron fist. What about our freedom of speech?

Comments (87)

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 03/27/13 - 01:12 pm

Yes, Jane

Thoughts of spring- little kids, playing, running through mud puddles, planting - we play outside now but must run inside to the wood burning stove, hot chocolate - can't wait to see the lighting bugs (someone on here is from the north and calls them may flys)

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/27/13 - 01:20 pm

Estimates

The other day in the paper someone from the Corps of Engineers made a prediction of what the lake level would be this upcoming July. That prediction is about the same accuracy as countyman's population estimates on the previous page.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/27/13 - 02:35 pm

Hi, Lilly

I made a mention on here the other day about mayflies, but, no, I am not from up north. The mayfly is an entirely different insect from the lightning bug. Here's the Wikipedia article link:

Mayfly

They’re quite common down here. When they emerge as adults they live for only a day, so they've got to make haste to live their life to the fullest.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/27/13 - 01:23 pm

Parking Deck

Countyman posted:

The city of Augusta must . . . focus on building parking garages.

Yeah, that worked out so well last time.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/27/13 - 01:40 pm

Countyman's Numbers

Countyman posted this:

"2010-2011

Richmond County
black population 54.2% to 54.4%
white population 39.7% to 40.8%

The black population grew by .2% compared to the 1.1% in term of new white residents.

Columbia County
White 76.5% to 77.1%
Black 14.9% to 15.8%

The black population grew by .9% compared to the .6% of white residents."

Those are interesting numbers. Since Richmond County grew at about 1%, the birth rate minus the death rate, I'm not sure how you can predict much with that slow growth. But if you are right, in about 10 years Richmond County would be majority white.

As far as Columbia County and the black growth let's think about it. That is a difference of .3% when they are 62% behind so they will reach majority in Columbia County in about 180 years. I'm not saying it's good or bad, but just pointing out the numbers.

countyman
countyman 03/27/13 - 01:58 pm

Great new for Augusta and especially Harrisburg.

After the CBD, Medical District, Summerville campus, and the old Fat Mans property near Paine College. I always expected for Harrisburg, Laney Walker, Bethlehem, or somewhere off 15th street near Josey to attract the first public or private student housing development. The competition between Harrisburg, Laney Walker, and to an lesser extent Sand Hills will be very interesting. Olde Town is pretty much revitalize completely, and the real estate prices in Summerville/CBD/Waters Edge/Forest Hills are too expensive for some people.

I'm glad Harrisburg is continuing to see major transformation in the area. The Kroc Center, 25 acre commercial development in Harrisburg/Medical District(bus depot property), free WiFi, new Veggie truck to purchase fresh produce, Cookout restaurant at 1801 Walton Way, and the MCG foundation owning several parcels/Kroger shopping center.

Hopefully the Sibley Mill won't be demolished, and can be saved(i.e Enterprise Mill). Either way I'm happy the area is changing, and especially in terms of the bus terminal.. I've been in favor of the city selling the bus terminal(located right next to the existing Kroger shopping center, and recently sold bus depot property for the 25 acre commercial development), and building another one in the CBD. Their building the main bus depot in South Augusta, and new the terminal in the CBD could hold the GRU/city buses, police precinct, the charging stations the mayor wants in Augusta, etc.

countyman
countyman 03/27/13 - 01:58 pm

Hope for Harrisburg!!!!

The Augusta Regional Collaboration (ARC) Project laid out plans to University officials on behalf of Commissioners that would create a "Mills Campus" and "Downtown Cultural Campus." The two entities would include the footprints of Sibley and King Mills.

WJBF News Channel 6 has learned the site for a GRU downtown campus would be Sibley Mill and King Mill, both properties currently owned by the Augusta Canal Authority. The site for GRU would also include the city stables and bus terminal on Broad Street. Possible uses for the properties would be classrooms and dorms for the newly merged school.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/27/13 - 01:52 pm

Most Discussed

They must have a rookie working the "Most Discussed" feature today. They just took the catering story (with 22 comments) off the list and replaced it with "Mother, aunt of suspect in baby's death arrested" (with only 8 comments).

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/27/13 - 01:55 pm

Minority

Countyman replied to Riverman:

Well, since the government counts all women as minorities, you could say that Columbia County is already majority minority.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/27/13 - 02:00 pm

Downtown Properties for Campus Expansion

What would Dr. Shirley Kenny do?

That is the question Azziz should ask himself.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 03/27/13 - 02:11 pm

Regarding the Comcast

Regarding the Comcast comment, I agree. Last week we had a problem with our modem and had to call them. Their accent was so thick that we couldn't understand them and eventually gave up and made the trip to the business off of RiverWatch to get the problem cleared up.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 03/27/13 - 02:21 pm

LL

Tx and I will share w/my grandkids!! We have raised butterflies out here - I love to teach them about nature - not the sites we see in DOWNTOWN Augusta - home of the GRu!

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 03/27/13 - 02:29 pm

The rant about the

The rant about the insufficient parking for the courthouse is true for all courthouses AND hospitals.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/27/13 - 02:37 pm

Emerge

Lilly, the mayflies used to emerge in May (hence the name). But now that global warming has attacked us, they will be emerging any day now. Watch for them around the streetlights at night. You might also see a bat or two, because the bats love to chow down on mayflies.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/27/13 - 02:41 pm

My Two Cents For Downtown

I'm constantly trying to come up with ideas that help downtown Augusta as I saw done in Charleston. When I was pushing the idea of student housing downtown, I was told here that it was all set to move towards the Wrightsboro Rd. campus. Now we are all coming around to the concept of having student housing downtown. The other major factor is the hospitals.

Evans to Augusta is about 10 minutes on Riverwatch. It's unwise to build new hospitals in Evans. Put that money into our great hospitals downtown. The key is to pay them for the nonpaying patients so the area demographics don't come into play.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/27/13 - 02:45 pm

Common Sense

Rolling Eyes said talking about Comcast, "Their accent was so thick that we couldn't understand them and eventually gave up and made the trip to the business off of RiverWatch to get the problem cleared up."

Heh, heh, heh, I've often wondered what they would do if we showed up there. Not to knock ADP, but when I use to work for a company and they had a problem with putting my money in the bank I thought of that often. The bank person was snotty with me when I told her to talk to the ADP office and the bank was less than ten miles from the ADP office on Stevens Creek Rd.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/27/13 - 02:46 pm

If it's fair to withhold a sheriff's pay for refusing to enforce a law, shouldn't we withhold Obama's pay for refusing to enforce DOMA?

Can anyone show me a difference?

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/27/13 - 02:51 pm

Countyman said, "I don't

Countyman said, "I don't expect Columbia County to become majority black, but only majority minority."

You mean along with all of America? The Hispanic influx will continue no doubt. But that doesn't mean a lot because there are many varities of Hispanics, hard working people...Democrat and even some Republican. Marco Rubio.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/27/13 - 03:01 pm

Riverman.....do you think

Riverman.....do you think Affirmative Action will be outlawed when Caucasians become the minority?

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/27/13 - 03:09 pm

HAngela (Ayn Rand) of course not

HAngela (Ayn Rand) of course not. They don't know what to do now as the population shifts occur.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/27/13 - 03:13 pm

Ayn Rand?

Ayn Rand?

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/27/13 - 03:18 pm

Humble Angela, I'm surprised

Humble Angela, I'm surprised you don't take "Ayn Rand," as a compliment as it was intended. Maybe it's me and this booze I consume.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/27/13 - 03:31 pm

Ayn Rand

Likening you to Ayn Rand is the highest compliment a lover of liberty could receive, Angela.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/27/13 - 03:51 pm

I'm really disgusted with

I'm really disgusted with those saying the simple people trying to get the discarded goods that were making a sucking sound as the store goods were thrown out on the sidewalk. Can we please put the blame where it should be and not on the police, owners or residents?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/27/13 - 03:34 pm

Thanks....I was just

Thanks....I was just wondering how I got equated to Ayn Rand.

And I do take it as a compliment.....just as when someone TRIED to insult me by calling me an Ann Coulter wannabe.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/27/13 - 04:01 pm

We stopped the comments in

We stopped the comments in any case.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 03/27/13 - 04:29 pm

LL

Thank you - please let the lightning bugs come soon - in my house - we counted 74 bats coming out - we wished the kids would leave too :) And then we closed it. Everyone says I'm not supposed to be having so much fun - but I take this retirement seriously - I'm having so much fun I still have to pinch myself after 5 years. I have died and gone to heaven here on earth.

harley_52
19524
harley_52 03/27/13 - 04:29 pm

I Would Take It As A Compliment....

...if someone called me an Ann Coulter wannabe.

Or, even a Countyman wannabe.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/27/13 - 04:57 pm

ok harley

You are a countyman wannabe...:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/27/13 - 05:01 pm

This is amazing..

TWO TALL, SKINNY LAWYERS

You might be quite surprised ....Most of us know of the comparable
relationship between Lincoln and Kennedy; but have you ever considered
the comparisons between President Obama and Lincoln?

Parallels of Abraham Lincoln and Barack Hussein Obama:

1. Lincoln placed his hand on the Bible for his inauguration.

Obama used the very same Bible Lincoln used, for his inauguration.

2. Lincoln came from Illinois .
Obama comes from Illinois .

3. Lincoln served in the Illinois Legislature.

Obama served in the Illinois Legislature.

4. Lincoln had very little experience before becoming President.

Obama had very little experience before becoming President.

5. Lincoln rode the train from Philadelphia to Washington for his inauguration.

Obama rode the train from Philadelphia to Washington for his inauguration.

6. Lincoln was highly respected by some, but intensely disliked by others.

Obama is highly respected by some, but intensely disliked by others.

7. Abraham Lincoln was a tall, skinny lawyer.

Barack Obama is a tall, skinny lawyer.

8. Lincoln held to basic Conservative and Christian views.

Obama is a tall, skinny lawyer.

9. Lincoln volunteered in the Illinois militia; once as a captain,
twice as a private.

Obama is a tall, skinny lawyer.

10. Lincoln firmly believed in able persons carrying their own weight.

Obama is a tall, skinny lawyer.

11. Lincoln was undeniably, and without any doubt, born in the United States .
Obama is a tall, skinny lawyer.

12. Lincoln was honest - so honest that he was called 'Honest Abe'.
Obama is a tall, skinny lawyer

13. Lincoln preserved the United States as a strong nation, respected
by the world.
Obama is a tall, skinny lawyer.

14. Lincoln showed his obvious respect for the flag, U. S.
Constitution, and the military.
Obama is a skinny lawyer.

Amazing !!

Judge denies request to delay sales tax vote

A superior court judge denied a request Wednesday from a Richmond County citizen seeking a court order to postpone the May 20 special purpose local option sales tax referendum.