Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THAT WOMAN WHO lives in Miles Park but tried to say she was from Hyde Park to try to get $44,000 is not the only one.

IT USED TO BE GOOD foreign policy and political strategy to send pots of money to other countries, but not anymore. The gesture doesn’t mean as much and it did 30-40 years ago. It’s time to circle the wagons and save our own people. Those other countries hate us, so why bother?

LET SEQUESTRATION run its course. Just like everything else, it will right its course and will be over.

JUST WHAT DOES ONE do to be worth $639,000? Really.

THAT NEW CLYDESDALE Budweiser commercial makes me cry.

AFTER SEEING THE salaries of some of the people who run the county, I think Richmond County is getting duped. I wish some of these administrators could take some furlough leave instead of these poor people who are actually doing a job.

RAVE FOR GHSU College of Dental Medicine. Jessica and Patrick, since I have been to you, I can smile again.

RANT TO GEORGIA Internal Revenue. I was looking for some filing papers. I went to Davis Road and they said the IRS would not allow them to print any out. They said I have to do it online. I am 80 and don’t have a computer. How can I do it online without a computer?

RICHMOND COUNTY needs to patrol housing projects, especially near Rosier Road. Stop the late-night walkers and ask them what they are doing in our neighborhoods.

OHIO SEN. ROB Portman was anti-gay marriage. Then he found his son was gay and suddenly he’s changed 180 degrees. If he found out his son was a bank robber, would he suddenly come out pro-bank robbery?

Jake
Jake 03/25/13 - 10:30 pm
Pro-bank robber

I am sure one activity is illegal and the other one is not.

Jake
Jake 03/25/13 - 10:32 pm
Clydesdale commercial

I don't watch a lot of TV so am I assume the new commercial shows a gay Clydesdale?

countyman
19155
countyman 03/25/13 - 11:26 pm
Not public housing

#9.. There are zero housing projects along Rosier Road... The lowest rent at the Salem Arms complex is in the $600 range per month.

Public housing is not every old apartment complex with residents who fit your personal description of who you think lives in housing projects.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 03/26/13 - 05:17 am
Certainly, Sen Portman can be

Certainly, Sen Portman can be accused of not being able to legislate beyond the tip of his nose, but that is the case for most republican politicians.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/26/13 - 06:39 am
Term "Housing Project"

The term "housing project" doesn't just refer to "public housing." Hey, good for the resident for complaining and wanting more of a police presence. Nothing wrong with that. If you have people walking about the neighborhood at night that has to be unsettling.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/26/13 - 06:44 am
80 Years Old Guy and Computers

I guess that 80 year old without a computer won't be doing an electronic return with an automatic bank deposit. Heh. Yep, times change. By the time I figured out my CORDLESS phone, cell phones arrived. Now we have iPhones. What next? Like a new computer program, we need things that are compatible with past things. If the old guy wants to use a rotary phone there should be a way it would spit out his tax forms.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/26/13 - 06:46 am
Jake, my friend, don't be

Jake, my friend, don't be dissing the CLYDESDALE Budweiser commercial. It can make anyone cry...even after a sixpack of Bud.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/26/13 - 06:54 am
Ga Southern to FBS Sun Belt Conf.

Sorry nonsports fans, but I'm disappointed the Chronicle doesn't have a story on Ga Southern leaving the FCS Southern Conference and going into the FBS Sun Belt Conference. They held a press conference yesterday to make the announcement. This is not the Atlantic Sun Conference with Mercer that some thought. The addition of Appalachian State and Georgia Southern will give the Sun Belt 10 football members in 2015 -- Arkansas State, Georgia State, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe, South Alabama, Texas State, Troy and Western Kentucky.

allhans
allhans 03/26/13 - 07:53 am
AARP has several locations

AARP has several locations in the area where they do taxes for anyone who needs help. They do a good job and its free to you....They can usually be found at one of the libraries or a senior center.

allhans
allhans 03/26/13 - 03:36 pm
Watching Florida Gulf Coast

Watching Florida Gulf Coast has been as good as it gets. I had never heard of them but got drawn in the first game...amazing!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/26/13 - 08:07 am
Tax Forms

You don't go to a tax office to get tax forms. You don't go to a post office, either. I got mine at the library — — but you have to go early. They run out early in April.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 03/26/13 - 08:18 am
dear rant#10 you are

dear rant#10 you are absolutely right, this shows how far the republican party has fallen, they have sunk to the level of the dems, willing and able to say and do anything for a vote..afraid to stand on principal for fear of offending someone..in the case of portman fear of standing for principal for fear his "faggy" son will get upset....he is nothing more than a self-serving hypocritical, lying no-good politician

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/26/13 - 08:23 am
"There are zero housing

"There are zero housing projects along Rosier Road..."

If there is any houses or apartments for rent that accept Section 8 it's public housing, with all of the associated problems. Section 8 is the great destroyer of neighborhoods....particularly in South Augusta.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 03/26/13 - 08:24 am
I'm no Luddite

... but I sympathize with the elderly lady. Doesn't anyone else think it odd whenever the government demands we go online to perform (a word that makes me think of trained seals) the tasks we pay them for? Yet, when they want something from us, like driver's license, passport (about the same thing paperwork-wise) or tags, they demand multiple DOCUMENTS?

I cannot help but be paranoid. Watching events unfold overseas, by which I refer to the confiscation of individual citizen bank accounts to pay the bank and government's debts, I am reminded that they were first in the use of mandatory direct deposits. This program started in the sixties; ours started in the seventies. Promises were made of the security of their money. Politician's promises. That sure sounds familiar.

rebellious
20174
rebellious 03/26/13 - 08:25 am
Against The Law

Hey Jake,
You are either suggesting Gays are celebate or Bank Robbery is legal.

Consider this:
(edited for terms of use compliance)
Georgia code section 16-6-2 provides a 1 to 20 year mandatory sentence for any adults consenting to "any sexual act involving the sex organs of one person and the mouth or {posterior} of another". Married couples are not excluded from this law. The Supreme Court upheld a constitutional challenge to the sodomy law Bowers v. Hardwich (1986), saying that the Constitution did not grant the right to engage in sodomy. Presumably few consensual behaviors by or between adults are specifically enumerated by the constitution and therefore could be subject to laws prohibiting them and imposing penalties for them at any time. Georgia also outlaws consensual sexual intercourse between unmarried persons with section 16-6-18, Fornication. The penalty provided under this section is a sentence of up to 12 months and up to a $1,000 fine.

While I am sure you will compare this with spitting laws or those against hitching your horse to a building on Sunday, you cannot deny it is the current law.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 03/26/13 - 08:29 am
"If the old guy wants to use a rotary phone

... there should be a way it would spit out his tax forms."

There is. He should demand it do so in Spanish. Our (?) government would trip all over itself making it happen.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 03/26/13 - 08:32 am
Kinda funny

... how Augusta's official cheerleader saw 'housing project' and read 'PUBLIC housing project' and dove to their defense.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 03/26/13 - 08:34 am
"It can make anyone cry...even after a sixpack of Bud."

Especially after a sixpack of Bud.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/26/13 - 08:54 am
"JUST WHAT DOES ONE do to be

"JUST WHAT DOES ONE do to be worth $639,000? Really."

You could start with hard work. Many have done it that way.

harley_52
harley_52 03/26/13 - 09:18 am
We've Come A Long Way, Baby....

Government used to prohibit sodomy, now they celebrate and promote it, I mean if it's the same sex version.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/26/13 - 09:22 am
tax forms

Like some have said...go the senior centers & some have forms & even some free help with your tax questions & etc.....had some friends who used their help every year...

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/26/13 - 09:24 am
I am glad stewart put this on here

Sounds impossible doesn't it...BUT hey it could happen here...nothing surprises me anymore...

harley_52
harley_52 03/26/13 - 09:25 am
What Is...

...a "housing project." I say it is, by definition (or at least common usage), a government run endeavor.

If the rant had said "housing development" it would seem to indicate a private undertaking.

But, who wants to be that nit-picky?

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/26/13 - 09:28 am
Do we have a sensible answer yet...

Why is the government buying up so many guns/bullets etc......what is the reason .......why can't congress get the answers....for training purposes just doesn't get it...

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/26/13 - 09:40 am
Housing Project v. Public Housing Project

Oh, I think there's a difference in a housing project and a public housing project. When a new neighborhood is going up, it's common to ask what the name of that housing project is, I believe. And that's not public housing. But I'm learning lots today. The amount considered upscale rent is surprising to me, too.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/26/13 - 09:43 am
SeenIt, it may be in question

SeenIt, it may be in question if the gov't is actually buying ammo in larger than normal quantities.

harley_52
harley_52 03/26/13 - 09:44 am
"Oh, I think there's a difference in a housing project....

.... and a public housing project."

Of course there is. One specifies "public," the other suggests it.

Have you ever heard of a privately owned housing development referred to as a "housing project?"

I have not.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/26/13 - 09:45 am
Austin's program

Something tells me his program will be interesting today....well that is if he doesn't block someone..:)

He can't block on here.....if he could River would have been blocked a looong time ago....:)

Just going by FB & stuff on there..

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/26/13 - 09:47 am
larger than normal quantities.

Well how will we know what is normal?

Commission rejects tax jump

Seven commissioners nixed a proposed tax increase Monday that would cost a typical homeowner $70 a year, leaving the countywide millage unset with just a few days to meet state deadlines.