Rants & Raves

WHY DOESN’T THE government go ahead and make it against the law to be fat instead of restricting what we can eat? They might as well.

COMMISSIONER SMITH, have you heard the saying, “A hit dog will bark”? In the criminal justice system it has been found that the guilty can never be quiet. They are always trying to tell their side of the story. Shhhhhh!

A HUGE RAVE for the nurses and especially the nurses’ aides who performed many unpleasant necessary activities for me while I was on the seventh-floor critical wing at the University Hospital last month as a patient. I could not have had better service.

TO THE PERSON who wrecked into my brand new car at the mall and then fled the scene, we have your tag, we have your name. Jail is waiting for you and your lying girlfriend!

TEACHER TO PARENT: Sorry, but I cannot undo all the years of bad parenting.

I DON’T KNOW what is crazier of our government: Spending $400 billion on the F-35 fighter aircraft or keeping 47 million people on food stamps. Cut all of it and save the increasingly fewer of us taxpayers left paying taxes a break.

WE CAN READ enough lies as it is from Repub­licans, we don’t need to watch it on Fox News. Let them remain on cable and away from a lot of us.

YES, WE’VE HAD several road pavings along various parts of Wrightsboro Road. It’s just that the material is obviously too cheap and not long-lasting.

SO, NO ONE CARES about the $241,000-plus lost from either some error or someone’s willingness to add to former teacher’s retirement pay? Like no one cares enough about the $25,000 lost from the tax office? Thank goodness a lot of us care too much about not losing any more monies into the TEE Center and parking lots and other costs.

I WONDER IF Alexia Davis was white, would the black ministers be holding a prayer vigil for her? Just wondering.

WHEN THE NEXT big one starts, you will be grateful for the NRA.

DON’T COMPLAIN IF they don’t put your rants in the paper. Perhaps they are not good enough.

LEAVE REMODELING of the Municipal Building until better times: $20 million is a lot of money.

proud2bamerican
proud2bamerican 03/24/13 - 06:19 pm
MISSED opportunity!

Year after year I really grieve over the missed opportunity Augusta has during Masters. Every other city I have been in where there was a major event hosted such as the Masters, the city puts on their best and brightest to welcome guests and to make the most of the opportunity. Instead of throwing millions into raises and refurbishing old buildings, can we just once invest in some permanent beautification of our city's gateways?? Year after year people and cameras from all over the entire world spotlight our city and yet NOTHING aside from mowing the grass on some years is done at the I-20 interchanges and along the trashed up Washington Road. I have seen it done right and the investment could make HUGE returns for our city as well as add to the enjoyment of its citizens for years to come. MISSED OPPORTUNITY!!

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/24/13 - 10:52 pm
Gray skies

Gray skies, gray roads, gray cars...four of them in a row, rain coming down, speeding, playing cat and mouse, just a couple of feet from each other at times, insufficient stopping distance no matter what the conditions and NO HEADLIGHTS! Come on people! At LEAST use your headlights when it is raining! At least that way we have a chance to get out of your way when you're behaving stupidly. I hate that lives are being endangered because of whatever your excuse is for not using your lights. Obey the law!

countyman
19711
countyman 03/25/13 - 12:46 am
On the right track!

#9. The Mary Kay conference(thousands of people) happen this past weekend(20th-23rd), $8 million Holiday Inn Express is underway, new businesses under construction/open, etc. The TEE Center is doing more than enough for the city of Augusta.

Proudtob.... The citizens of Richmond County voted for the renovation of the Municipal building, and Splost money is for brick and mortar projects. The Wheeler rd, Gordon Hwy, Saint Sebastian, and Doug Barnard Hwy beautification projects are completed. Wheeler road is definitely one of the gateway corridors during the Masters. The city could always improve in certain areas, but I think Augusta does a great job during Masters week. I do agree we can do even more in terms of beautification overall, and thankfully the metro voted for T-Splost. Improvements to the intersections of Deans Bridge/Gordon Hwy(not a gateway but for Dichotomy), Riverwatch/I-20 to River Shoals(major gateway), etc were included.

The ongoing Wrightsboro rd widening, Wrightsboro/I-520 improvements, and the I-520 construction in South Augusta will all help once completed. Hopefully the city/state can do some landscaping/sidewalk/bike lane improvements along Washington road, and the Washington rd/I-20 intersection.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/25/13 - 07:46 am

Countyman posted:

. . . The citizens of Richmond County voted for the renovation of the Municipal building. . . .

I voted in every election for decades past, and I never voted on a measure to renovate the Municipal building. Was it a covert election?

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/25/13 - 07:49 am
Wow! that an ill thoughtout remark that only the Guilty Bark.

So you are saying the INNOCENCE should remain silent and let the MOB walk all over them in the media and the Courts?

No way Hosea.

If I feel I am being wronged,
I'll use a loudspeaker, if needed, to get my side out.

countyman
19711
countyman 03/25/13 - 07:56 am
More national press for Augusta!

The San Francisco Chronicle mentioned the company Nowait coming to Augusta.

LittleLamb. Splost

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/25/13 - 08:00 am
Strange I feel the same way on the flip side

To the RANTER
"WE CAN READ enough lies as it is from Repub­licans, we don’t need to watch it on Fox News..."

I too have read enough lies from the Liberals, socialists, and Democrats so I don't watch MS-NBC, CNN, NBC, CBS, & ABC often.

But why is it Liberal, socialists, and Democrats want to remove FOX,
but Conservatives only want the MS-NBC, CNN, NBC, CBS, & ABC to tell or acknowledge the truth about misrepresented facts.

So the question is:
Who is acting more like a narrow minded oppressive group of people?

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/25/13 - 08:04 am
Remodeling Downtown WHY? When

Remodeling Downtown

WHY?
When we have so much office space in the Gordon Hwy area.
With better parking and that is more centrally located.

Last time I checked Regency Mall was only $12 to 14 million.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/25/13 - 08:20 am
No Wait thingy

ctyman
What's to keep a customer from finding another restaurant & just putting the tablet down some place......they are sorta expensive ....right?

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/25/13 - 08:26 am
The Gordon Hy area

Hush yo mouth nocnoc...that is a bad word to the downtown folks.....they will never see the value in that old mall...like we do....in fact the progress is moving right out on Washington Rd toward Mtz & Evans.....they know it & just can't control it.....
Now if we could get enough posters together...hmmmm....

BamaMan
BamaMan 03/25/13 - 08:32 am
Headlights

I agree about the headlights. Some cars are worse than others as far as being able to be seen. Just because these people (ones with no headlights) can see, doesn't mean YOU'RE able to be seen. Turn on your headlights so we can see YOU!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/25/13 - 08:37 am
San Francisco

From Countyman's link:

Guests are free to visit retailers or bars nearby, reducing both congestion and the frustration of waiting. Once the table is ready, the diner receives a text to return to the restaurant to be seated without delay. . . . Augusta restaurants using the technology include Malibu Jack’s Surf Grill, Road Runner Cafe, French Market Grille, The Boar’s Head Public House, Crazy Turks Pizza, and Chilis.

Wow! I wonder if NoWait technology contributed to the jaywalking death of a Crazy Turks Pizza customer on Washington Road a couple of weeks ago?

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/25/13 - 08:38 am
Key West

Can yall tell me why we all can't be in Key West sipping on a cool drink....loooking at the sunset tonight from our soft lounge with all kinds of beautiful folks around us in cute bathing suits??
Will one of us please win the big one & take us all to the sands of Key west.........please let us remember Sean.......play your cards right & ctyman we "might" include you too...♥

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/25/13 - 08:42 am
Just wondering

If countyman will still tell us of pending growth in Augusta while we are stretched out on the beach....anyway it won't really matter cause those rum drinks kinda make ya fuzzy....know whatta mean...:):)

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/25/13 - 09:03 am
"WHEN THE NEXT big one

"WHEN THE NEXT big one starts, you will be grateful for the NRA."

Not if you are one of those who doesn't believe that citizens should own guns.....or if you are one of the one's who believes that the Government should and will take care of all your needs. In THAT case you will wish there never was a NRA.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 03/25/13 - 09:12 am
Al Gore

He sure has this global warming thing going on! And I thank him everyday for inventing the internet

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 03/25/13 - 09:14 am
I'm going w/B4

Running Bare

harley_52
harley_52 03/25/13 - 09:14 am
Does Anybody Know....

...if the "out of town owners" of the Regency Mall include any CSRA politicians, or local big wigs with lots of power and money?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 03/25/13 - 09:20 am
Humble Pie

This mornings Menu at the Cheeks Canal, Coffee, Doughnut, Bar and Grill and Psychiatric Center we're serving Humble Pie. Not many on here will actually qualify for a slice but some will qualify for several pies. It seems the least expensive thing ARC could do would be to clean up all the gateways into Augusta these two weeks before the Masters. Start at the county lines and pick up all the old mattresses, trash, sofa's and broken recliners, the intersections of I-520, (all of them) and I-20. Quite the political squabbling for the next 4 weeks and actually go to work to clean up this pigsty and make it attractive to people visiting. A lot of these visitors may come here looking to relocate, particularly the ones from New York and Conneticut. It's time to shine up the pig, and bring out your company manners. Act like ladies and gentlemen instead of self serving politicians! Why not get our traffic division to hand out some littering tickets, I'm sure they won't mind if the Judges will hand down some $1000.00 fines and community service of cleaning a measured mile of roadway!! Think about it!!

allhans
allhans 03/25/13 - 09:22 am
My take is that if big-wig

My take is that if big-wig locals were involved in RM, something would have happened long before now.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/25/13 - 09:35 am
Breezy

It's a little breezy for running bare around here this morning, lilly.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 03/25/13 - 09:39 am
LL

Look out when it warms up - I'm just practicing

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 03/25/13 - 09:49 am
ColdBeer

There was one broadcaster I really liked and then he dumped on Augusta, and the truth hurt - let's do this!! We are southern gentleman and ladies(unless we are Running Bare) - and we then we "run bear" ladylike hahehe - ok who's ready for a Bloody Mary?
Dang - it still kills me that those kids on the soccer team decided they would party there - hell, they party everyday - why not on the island - they don't realize they have to grow up and then they can retire like me and then the party really begins.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/25/13 - 10:00 am
well now

I hope yall got your millions out of the Cypress bamks,,,

Deposits above 100,000 euros, which under EU law are not guaranteed, will be frozen and used to resolve debts, and Laiki will effectively be shuttered, with thousands of job losses.

An EU spokesman said no levy would be imposed on any deposits in Cypriot banks. A first attempt at a deal last week collapsed when the Cypriot parliament rejected a proposed levy on all deposits.

We will need it in the Keys...yaknow...

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 03/25/13 - 10:08 am
My money is not in Cypress banks

But it might as well be because we are being stolen blind! B4 - you're having fuzzy belly buttons - what's that?

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/25/13 - 10:09 am
Lilly will be 1st in line

She knows how to party...of course coldbeer does too...& if ksm comes along we will have a blast......of course we might end up in jail BUT hey....we only live once yaknow.....
I have to push back from the puter...or so I've been told.....it seems there is life outside of cyberspace or maybe it is just make believe & he THINKS that is life....
anyhoo....see yall later.....

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/25/13 - 10:11 am
having fuzzy belly buttons - what's that?

A new drink Lilly....with rum & coconut & you make up the rest ....byebye

harley_52
harley_52 03/25/13 - 10:18 am
"My take is that if big-wig locals were involved in RM....

....something would have happened long before now."

Are they paying taxes on the property? If so, how much?

Twice, in recent years, I've owned property that hit the market at exactly the WRONG time. Once, in August 2001, and once in July, 2008. It's no fun, in fact, it's painful. How long has Regency Mall been vacant...fifteen years?

It seems to me quite possible that these "out of town owners" are willing to suffer a lot of pain. Why? Have they been assured the city will eventually buy it? Seems to me the city continues to float potential uses for the property. Why? How much would it cost to demolish it, haul it off, and rehabilitate it?

I think I smell a rat.

harley_52
harley_52 03/25/13 - 10:21 am
I Have Heard...

....that most residents and tourists in Key West (and the other keys) are left handed.

daphne3520
daphne3520 03/25/13 - 10:25 am
"Alexia Davis" by "Just Wondering,"

KEEP wondering!!!!!!!!!