Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

AN AUGUSTA WOMAN arrested after finding a ring? The moral here is: Never find anything.

IF YOUR CHILD causes trouble in our schools then it’s on the parent to provide your child’s transportation, right?

NOW THAT THE new sheriff and tax commissioner have raises, maybe they can find out who stole the money from the tax commissioner’s office.

I DON’T UNDERSTAND how certain members of Aiken County’s commission could vote no on the new ballpark by saying the GreenJackets haven’t been successful in their old ballpark. The GreenJackets routinely fill the stadium, and if they had done their research, they would have found out that the new ballparks in Greensboro and Winston-Salem, N.C., have really increased their attendance.

ANOTHER GAFFE traced back to Azziz? That man keeps blundering.

RANT FOR Mike on Kicks 99. You were so mean numerous times on the radio about Mindy McCready; then after her suicide you acted like you cared.

THE CLOWNS RUNNING Georgia are pushing for taxes from online buying and are going to build a stadium in Atlanta costing taxpayers several hundred million dollars. And these guys are Republicans?

PRESIDENT OBAMA HAS helped everyone financially by being responsible enough to not drag us into wars so cronies can get rich, like Cowboy Bush and Shoot ’em-up Cheney did. And we are pulling out of those dang wars we got dropped into.

GRADY SMITH protests his ignorance or innocence too much … he is obviously a man who is used to having his way, ethics or rules be damned.

THIS FALL BACK, SPRING forward is absolutely ridiculous. The government wants to train us to do what they want. It is not good.

PRESIDENT OBAMA has no right to close the White House. That is not his house; it is the people’s house.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 03/22/13 - 08:41 am
@ american rose 11:16

Sorry about that. I will send them an email. They have to manually add the R&R submission link each day, and unfortunately sometimes they forget.
Here is the link for now. http://chronicle.augusta.com/help/rants_raves

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/22/13 - 08:43 am
Yes coldbeer

You really know RM...hahahah

BamaMan
BamaMan 03/22/13 - 08:50 am
The MORAL here, is

Not finding something, but not trying to find it's owner. A sock or sunglasses is one thing, but an item that is obviously an expensive one, you have a MORAL obligation not to mention a legal one, to try to find it's owner.

Young Fred
Young Fred 03/22/13 - 08:58 am
nocnoc: “when we mix the Good

nocnoc:
“when we mix the Good with the Bad what is the common result?
The Good learn to be Bad to survive.”

Common sense mixed with simplicity make for great truths! Too bad the leadership of our country/state/city tend to forget the obvious.

Hats off to ya nocnoc!!!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/22/13 - 09:17 am
Adaptive Signals

Hey, Fred, I'm with you about the excessively long waits at red lights. Both in Augusta and in Columbia County they have purchased these camera/computer systems to run the traffic signals. They call them "adaptive signals," but the computers are still at the mercy of the computer programmers. The wait times changed from reasonable to excruciating when they went from magnetic strip signals in the asphalt to those camera systems.

Someone sold the traffic departments a bill of goods when they sold them these systems. Sitting at traffic lights wastes a lot of good gasoline and diesel fuel.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/22/13 - 09:23 am
Well now

LLamb...yall need our traffic guys to come teach your folks a few things....they have done a good job getting our signals unified.....like you say it cuts down on wasted gas...

You just might need a new latex salesman...(haha)

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/22/13 - 09:26 am
About the murder rate down

Thank you RCSO.....more arrests will do the trick...I know yall didn't like the traffic road blocks but something tells me they were looking for something other than speeders.

Young Fred
Young Fred 03/22/13 - 09:27 am
LL

With today’s technology, you’d think they could program these lights based on traffic, and time of day.

About 6:30 am this morning, I set at a light for, well I’m not sure how long, but I could feel the hair on my chin getting longer. I was thinking about a one-shot break barrel sawed off shot gun. That way I could have the satisfaction of slowly ejecting and reloading, savoring each moment.

Young Fred
Young Fred 03/22/13 - 09:32 am
Mr. Sean Moores I’ve got a

Mr. Sean Moores

I’ve got a complaint, and I’m in the mood for nit-picking this morning, besides you seem like a very helpful fellow.

Why is it that I have to re-sign in to this website over and over when I’ve not even left or signed out of the site? This is the only website I’m aware of that requires this.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 03/22/13 - 09:46 am
@ Young Fred

You should not have to to sign in every time. Send me your contact information and I will have someone from our All-Access customer service team help you figure out what is causing that. sean.moores@augustachronicle.com

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/22/13 - 09:47 am
@ YF

Let’s see, I’m considering moving to a new city, I have two choices. One is a modern city with much extracurricular activities. The other is half run down with, much ghetto-like views and very angry, outspoken activist hogging the headlines."

A concept few around here can grasp.

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/22/13 - 09:55 am
"Why is it that every time a

"Why is it that every time a new stadium for a sports team is discussed, so many get their panties in a wad?"

"South Augusta folks could take pics of signs that have been there for ages........yeh...Coming Soon type signs..."

Asked by one, answered by another.

Building a stadium is fine.....IF....the municipality is already doing everything equally for ALL of it's citizens and ALL areas are receiving equal services, equal development, equal prosperity, and having their property assessed for taxes based on equal parameters. But if you are in a municipality where ALL of the money is spent downtown while 1/3 of the county is pretty much ignored and deteriorating then people get upset about their tax money being spent to build a "mixed use facility" in the area of the municipality that already drains our tax money for development and subsidies to the property owners in that area.

carcraft
carcraft 03/22/13 - 10:13 am
Obama would have been like

Obama would have been like Clinton and not drag us into wars like Clinton didn't when Bin Laden bombed two US embassies, the USS Cole, Kobar Towers, the World trade Center the First time etc. I guess it would have been better to to let Al Qada continue bombing America at will! The left and Obama supporters lack basic lskills in logic!

Young Fred
Young Fred 03/22/13 - 10:29 am
“All-Access customer service

“All-Access customer service team” - for some reason the thought of that gives me the heebie-jeebies.

I’ll have to pass on that, besides, if I didn’t have something to complain about, I might get bored.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/22/13 - 10:36 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 03/22/13 - 10:50 am
Tiger parks his boat nxt to exs boyfriends boat

oooh this is getting funny...one billionaire next to the other....who has the biggest......eeh boat....
Now the ex Mrs Woods needs to come to the Masters with the new guy....THAT would be interesting...:) flaunt it baby...

countyman
20120
countyman 03/22/13 - 11:14 am
Holiday Inn Express construction

The other week Riverman told Mr. Reddy didn't even have the Holiday Inn Express naming rights. I clearly told you how investors don't break ground unless they do.

The same person who claims to visit downtown 'often' just asked a few days ago whether or not construction had even started? Now only a few days later they have their own pictures, and can tell you the construction timelines.

I live downtown, and the Holiday Inn Express construction is well underway.. Please share your photos of the construction? You might can fool the people who live miles away, but not those who actually see the hotel daily.

How can anybody tell if they saw day laborers? Unless you choose to stereotype people, and I only saw white/black men working on the hotel. And the last time I checked they don't usually let the daily laborers use the heavy equipment(i.e the bulldozer on site).

How could the city force a private developer to make mandatory repairs to the vacant hotel? The people who were against the TEE Center will try to spin anything, because the TEE Center is attracting private investment.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 03/22/13 - 11:04 am
@ Young Fred 10:29

They said you may be on a different computer from the one where you activated your account. Call 706-722-5620 to talk to them. They should be able to fix this.

countyman
20120
countyman 03/22/13 - 11:41 am
Olde Town= trendy

Coldbeerpeanuts... I bet you live miles away from Olde Town in Columbia County, and don't visit the neighborhood much... Many people who can afford to live anywhere decided on the neighborhood. They have a very active neighborhood association, and neighborhood events.

Let's read the opinions of people who actually live in the area. This way you can't portray the positive opinion is solely mine.

The Dunbar Howard House was renovated into 12 apartment, and they were all leased within 30 days of construction. Keep in mind this is located in the part of the neighborhood closer to East Boundary. The entire neighborhood is almost completely revitalized.

Please click on the Google street view and see the neighborhood for yourself.

Young Fred
Young Fred 03/22/13 - 02:45 pm
Michelle Malkin

I don’t know if ya’ll caught Micelle Malkin’s scathing column, but it’s definitely worth a gander!

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/22/13 - 07:23 pm
Countyman, if you want to

Countyman, if you want to email me I can send you the photos I have. There are two different sets a couple of weeks apart. Like I said, I could be wrong about all this, but it certainly doesn't appear to be a professional renovation. I'm surprised you don't know the city can make a building owner take certain measures to ensure it doesn't collapse. They have demolished the two story part on the end with the dozer, but it honestly doesn't seem like a renovation is underway. Have you heard that the "building" is up for sale? I have.

Clemson halts mandatory student sex survey

CLEMSON, S.C. - Clemson says it has suspended a mandatory survey of students the school says was part of a review to prevent sexual discrimination, harassment and assault.