Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

PRESIDENT OBAMA SAYS the sequester brings “painful budget cuts.” One, the budget is not being cut; rather, it is growing; and two, real cuts are not painful for those footing the bill – the taxpayers.

DEAR EVENT organizers: There is no such thing as a “first annual.” You can hold a “first” or an “inaugural,” but you can’t hold a “first annual.” An activity isn’t an annual activity until the next year.

FILL IN THE BLANK: It’s still_________to me:

A: Clarks Hill

B: ASU

C: MCG

D: All of the above

RANT TO ALL THE black organizations that continue to segregate the black community after civil rights leaders fought so hard to end segregation.

IF DR. AZZIZ AND HIS troops at MCG or whatever it is called now will airbrush out history on sports teams, what should we expect them to do with missed diagnoses or poor surgery outcomes?

NANCY PELOSI HAS never had an original thought. All she does is parrot the trash that President Obama comes up with.

I THINK IT IS UNFAIR for Happy Tails to be closed down for minor problems. These people are doing a wonderful job rescuing those unwanted animals that people dump on the roadsides.

THE NERVE OF THAT governor and the Board of Regents for fostering a great research university on our area. We might have to accept some change.

I FEEL THAT NICK EVANS, whether intended or not, sold out the “Save The A” movement too quickly in return for the now-proved hollow promises by Azziz to add Augusta to the name (unofficially). We should renew the movement and get Azziz to leave, and get the governor to intervene with the Regents to correct this stuff, or we should be working to never again elect Nathan Deal to anything again.

GLOBAL SPECTRUM should be sued by the Augusta RiverHawks for allowing the ice system to be damaged this badly, without either insurance or any recovery from the cutting horse event. This has ruined hockey here for the foreseeable future and damaged the franchise. Not the first time it has happened. Only this time, far worse than before.

rebellious
rebellious 03/21/13 - 08:59 am
Morning Rabblerousers

and Troublemakers. Nice pleasant day when we are satisfied to debate the health rating of our counties. I feel like I have landed on a "Kinder and Gentler" Chronicle discussion page. And then I awakened.....

Young Fred
19134
Young Fred 03/21/13 - 09:01 am
SeenitB4

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/21/13 - 09:05 am
Young Fred

You make me jealous ....nicccee living!

Good am Rebel...we can go from 10 to 90 in a skinny minute on here ...I'm reading the AJC & getting hot right now!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/21/13 - 09:09 am
$15million o tax credit for private schools

The article says they KNOW the public schools are failing...they want to give credits to the poor for the private schools///THEY KNOW....why can't they fix the dang schools.....the tax credits would add up to 65 million....why not just do away with public & go all private....which will probably happen anyway...& soon.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/21/13 - 09:10 am
South Georgia Island

I was reading about South Georgia Island down by Antartica. I looked it up because of the name. Interesting place, but I think I'd rather live in our South Georgia than that one.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/21/13 - 09:12 am
Schools Not Needed These Days

Seenit, with computers and the internet, we don't need schools anymore except to babysit the kids.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/21/13 - 09:16 am
public schools

Really, think of the money we would save if we didn't fund public schools. Many historians consider Abraham Lincoln to have been our greatest president. Who taught him? Nobody.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/21/13 - 09:24 am
I agree

You have said that before on here & I think it would work.....one teacher for many students......maybe come to class 1 day a week for tests....you can educate yourself right on the internet......reading these blogs would help too.....because we have some real smart ***** on here......just ask us a question & by golly wait a few moments & see the answers on here....some won't like them.....:)

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/21/13 - 09:24 am
Fred said, "I spent the

Fred said, "I spent the summer of 1980 at the Grassy Key. Poached Fla lobster for food. Ate it breakfast, lunch and dinner. Good times! Hot times!"

Wow, that does sound haught.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/21/13 - 09:30 am
Real estate on the Keys

I watched a HGTV program about real estate prices in the Keys....small lots & not so nice houses were in the million $ price range.....sooo you gotta have it to live that kind of life...or rent..

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/21/13 - 09:31 am
Folly Pier in Charleston

I remember the Folly Pier in Charleston where if you were big enough to see over the counter they would sell you beer, beach music and girls from all over visiting and wanting to have an "experience."

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/21/13 - 09:34 am
Yeh I heard about yall

Young studs at the beach..just wanting to make a vacation a memorable vacation for the young beauties.......even walking through traffic with the logic that NO ONE wants to mess up their vacation with a dang accident....yeh I heard bout yalll!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/21/13 - 09:40 am
geez

An Atlanta high school principal has resigned after accusations that he bullied & threstened teachers in to changing failing grades to passing grades.....it never ends ...dang

also headlines coca cola will lay off 750 in US & Canada....about 180 in Atlanta will be cut......I thought coke was doing great.....

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/21/13 - 09:41 am
seeyall

gotta get busy......catch up later in day....♥

ClearCookies
ClearCookies 03/21/13 - 09:42 am
Ok, Angie, its very clear to

Ok, Angie, its very clear to me now. Thanks for the lesson in Being Black 101. (...)

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/21/13 - 09:47 am
ClearCookies....are you

ClearCookies....are you saying that the organizations I listed don't exist? You seemed confused as to what the R&R ranter was talking about. A person can be black, green, white, yellow or any other color and see that those organizations are segregationists......if you are honest with yourself.

I offered no lesson in "being black." I simply answered your question.

harley_52
harley_52 03/21/13 - 09:48 am
"Richmond County is in the BOTTOM 15%."

It's nice, isn't it, when you can find a study that supports the conclusions you've already drawn?

I'm so jealous of you healthy people from Columbia county. You're so fortunate and so smart to have possessed the wisdom to buy property in Columbia county. Heck, you can smoke, drink, eat Big Macs and STILL live in the 5th healthiest county in Georgia....according to this "study."

Before you break your arm patting yourself on your back for being so wise and so healthy, it might be worthwhile digging a little into the study's methodology. Here's a disclaimer from their own description of their data.....

"The county-level estimates based on BRFSS data are calculated for the County Health Rankings by staff at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. They use seven years of data (wherever possible), thus their estimates represent an average over the seven years. The BRFSS measures in the 2013 County Health Rankings are based on data from 2005-2011. Except for 2011, the public use final weight variable was used to produce estimates. These weights ensure state level estimates reflect the age-sex-race distributions of the state. These weights might not always provide accurate county level estimates; particularly when county age-sex-race distributions vary greatly from that of the state. For 2011 BRFSS data, a post stratification weight was calculated using the aforementioned approach for landline respondents only. Other publically available BRFSS data for 2011 include cellphone respondents and are based on a revised weighting methodology—consequently these estimates should not be compared to data from prior years nor to the estimates produced for the County Health Rankings."

Gee.....reading that, I don't feel so bad about living in the county that's in the "BOTTOM 15%" any more.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 03/21/13 - 09:49 am
Guess mom was right....

Coke WILL cause you to be unemployed!!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/21/13 - 09:53 am
This is just sick....

"Worker admits cutting 10 babies at abortion clinic"

I suppose it opens debate on both sides.

Young Fred
19134
Young Fred 03/21/13 - 10:04 am
harley_52

The devil's in the details.

Who says we need details? I don't need no stinking details!

harley_52
harley_52 03/21/13 - 10:14 am
You Don't Say.....

From another study....

"Further, the report states: “Most researchers agree that on average, whether because of instability or absent fathers or both, children of unmarried mothers have poorer outcomes than children growing up with their married parents.”

harley_52
harley_52 03/21/13 - 10:35 am
ClearCookies
ClearCookies 03/21/13 - 10:47 am
Angie - I've noticed that

Angie - I've noticed that anytime the Black race is duscussed on this board, the conversation usually brings out the the worst in people. With that being said, I'll leave you with this:

harley_52
harley_52 03/21/13 - 11:00 am
I've Noticed....

....that race is a frequent topic of conversation in here (and elsewhere) AND that the conversations almost always center on blacks. Rarely are the conversations focused on Indians, Asians, Hispanics, or any other race.

I've also noticed that white people who don't buy into all the claims made by those whose lives seem to be focused on blacks being persecuted are almost always deemed "racists" by the race obsessed. Among other things, this demonstrates a misunderstanding of the word "racist," or, possibly, an intentional misapplication of the term.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/21/13 - 11:45 am
"the conversation usually brings out the the worst in people."

ClearCookies. Who said anything bad about race?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/21/13 - 11:45 am
Harley....the best definition

Harley....the best definition I've ever seen for a racist is "someone who is winning an argument with a liberal."

harley_52
harley_52 03/21/13 - 11:48 am
Angela...

There's plenty of evidence that's true.

Young Fred
19134
Young Fred 03/21/13 - 01:55 pm
harley_52 at 12:00 Spot on!!!

harley_52 at 12:00

Spot on!!! Of course the mere fact that you took the time to post such an obvious truth makes you (in the minds of many) … you guessed it!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/21/13 - 02:14 pm
"Racist" and "hate" have been

"Racist" and "hate" have been so misused and misapplied that the words don't carry much weight anymore, and that is a shame.

For example, the pop culture would say I am a racist and hater because I despise the whole hip hop culture; the dress, the music, the attitude, etc. Note that I didn't say I disliked any particular person, just the culture.

Now, what word would they reserve to describe the feelings I have/had for the likes of Osama Bin Laden and the ones who cut the heads off of Americans? I can't imagine detesting a human any more than I do those, so hate seems to mild a term as used in the context of the pop culture.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/21/13 - 03:02 pm
It Is Always Nice To Know Why You Are Classified As A Racist.

MSNBC Host Chris Matthews railed against the tea party again Wednesday night when he invited a guest who claims the movement is racist, homophobic and xenophobic.

Mr. Matthews interviewed a University of Washington assistant professor, Christopher Parker, who conducted a study that found strains of prejudice within the tea party.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“My study suggests that there is a strain of racism in the tea party,” the professor said. “There’s definitely a racist strain, but it goes beyond racism. It goes to homophobia and xenophobia as well, Chris.”

The “Hardball” host then went on to speculate that tea party folks want America back to the way it was before the Civil War.

“Is it like that old, dreamy nostalgia you get in the old movies? Like ‘Gone with the Wind?’” he posed. “Is it that kind of America they want to bring back or what? When there were no gays, where blacks were slaves, where Mexicans were in Mexico. Is this what they want?”

Mr. Parker firmly agreed, saying that where moderate conservatives recognize that politics change, tea party conservatives are “reactionary” and “actually want to go back in time.”

The professor ties tea party conservatives to the Know-Nothing party of the 1850s, the KKK of the 1920s, and the John Birch Society of the 1950s and 1960s, in that tea partiers are “scared of losing the America that they know and love to these other groups of people.”

“It does sound like pure racism,” Mr. Matthews jumped in, “if you want the country to be tribally white 100 years from now.”

Being a True God Loving American, wanting to live life under the Constitution and within a country of Freedom without the ruling of a socialist/communist leader.... made me such a bad undesirable human.