Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

PRESIDENT OBAMA SAYS the sequester brings “painful budget cuts.” One, the budget is not being cut; rather, it is growing; and two, real cuts are not painful for those footing the bill – the taxpayers.

DEAR EVENT organizers: There is no such thing as a “first annual.” You can hold a “first” or an “inaugural,” but you can’t hold a “first annual.” An activity isn’t an annual activity until the next year.

FILL IN THE BLANK: It’s still_________to me:

A: Clarks Hill

B: ASU

C: MCG

D: All of the above

IF DR. AZZIZ AND HIS troops at MCG or whatever it is called now will airbrush out history on sports teams, what should we expect them to do with missed diagnoses or poor surgery outcomes?

NANCY PELOSI HAS never had an original thought. All she does is parrot the trash that President Obama comes up with.

I THINK IT IS UNFAIR for Happy Tails to be closed down for minor problems. These people are doing a wonderful job rescuing those unwanted animals that people dump on the roadsides.

THE NERVE OF THAT governor and the Board of Regents for fostering a great research university on our area. We might have to accept some change.

I FEEL THAT NICK EVANS, whether intended or not, sold out the “Save The A” movement too quickly in return for the now-proved hollow promises by Azziz to add Augusta to the name (unofficially). We should renew the movement and get Azziz to leave, and get the governor to intervene with the Regents to correct this stuff, or we should be working to never again elect Nathan Deal to anything again.

GLOBAL SPECTRUM should be sued by the Augusta RiverHawks for allowing the ice system to be damaged this badly, without either insurance or any recovery from the cutting horse event. This has ruined hockey here for the foreseeable future and damaged the franchise. Not the first time it has happened. Only this time, far worse than before.

whozit
whozit 03/20/13 - 07:07 pm
Well

It never fails to amaze me. One reading of some of the comments here makes one realize how crazy it is to cut education funding even further.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/20/13 - 07:46 pm
Healthiest Counties in the State

Columbia County is in the top 5% of healthy counties in Georgia in a new study released yesterday.

The study is a University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute-Robert Wood Johnson Foundation one. Rankings are based on many factors including diet, exercise, tobacco use, alcohol use, sexual activity, access to and quality of health care, social and economic factors, and physical environment.

Richmond County is in the BOTTOM 15%.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 03/20/13 - 11:14 pm
Oh, crap

.... RM1, you've condemed us to another day's worth of countyman telling us how RC's gonna have better health. Opening soon. Perhaps. At an undisclosed location.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 03/20/13 - 11:08 pm
"THE NERVE

... for fostering a great research university..."

When did that happen?

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 03/20/13 - 11:13 pm
"I THINK IT IS UNFAIR

... for Happy Tails to be closed down..."

I wish I knew how this came about. I have the impression this was by way of a vendetta by officialdom. I dunno. It would be nice if there were some kind of service that would investigate and tell who/what/when/where/how... like a NEWS-paper.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/21/13 - 06:55 am
Very interesting map RM

I hope all will look at that ....I would venture to say the counties at the top are also the safest & that means fewer dollars spent on jails---rehab--courthouse & etc........more money for the quality of life activities.....Gwinnett has made it a point to create many parks --trails--ball fields & senior centers...

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/21/13 - 06:57 am
Fill in the blank question

It will always be ...all of the above for me.....always..

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/21/13 - 06:59 am
Speaking of Azziz . . . .

. . . . I saw one of those monster buses yesterday on Central Avenue. It had the GRU-Augusta logo printed on the side. The word "Augusta" was 15% grayscale against a white background — not too distinctive, but you could read it when you get close.

The thing that bothered me was it was one of those huge buses and it was empty of passengers.

Now, I'm sure the university will tout the fact to prospective students (and parents) that they provide bus service between the campuses. But couldn't they "right-size" the transportation? If there are few students riding, couldn't they use a four-cylinder minivan instead of a fifty-seat monster bus?

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/21/13 - 07:49 am
coldbeer is to blame

Burke county did not make top of the list & blame that on coldbeerboiled peanuts.......he cooks yummy stuff.....:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/21/13 - 07:52 am
Empty buses

We have learned a lot in Gwinnett county....we have had many empty buses through the county but full to the brim buses going downtown.....sooo more buses in the downtown route & fewer through the county......took some time but finally the wise guys got the message...

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/21/13 - 07:52 am
whozit..... The Department of

whozit..... The Department of Education has proven that spending more money on education doesn't make education better......so cutting funding shouldn't make it any worse............right?

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/21/13 - 07:58 am
About this education thingy...

poster #1 on r/rs

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.....same thing with education...it is there for the taking...free too....do you want to force feed the masses....

Young Fred
Young Fred 03/21/13 - 08:01 am
“Columbia County is in the

“Columbia County is in the top 5% of healthy counties in Georgia”

I’m a dyed in the wool Ga boy and proud of it, but bragging about the top 5% in GA (healthwise) is, well, like bragging about coming in third to the last. It’s all relative I suppose.

Young Fred
Young Fred 03/21/13 - 08:04 am
About this education thingy...

The masses have already been "force fed". The regurgitation is a sight to behold!!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/21/13 - 08:08 am
Good Morning "World Peace Maker" America

I have 4 upstate NY close friends that are coming down here to fish. Told one to meet me at Clark Hill.
Told another to meet me at GRU and one to meet me at ASU.
The last one who is the most intelligent one was told to meet me at "All Of The Above"

I think it will be a beautiful enjoyable fishing trip.

Young Fred
Young Fred 03/21/13 - 08:13 am
What's biting now? Crappie,

What's biting now? Crappie, hybrids?

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/21/13 - 08:14 am
also about that map

I did notice that all the seaside counties are in the top % group....could that be healthy food from the ocean maybe....fish--shrimp--fresh from the sea & right to the kitchen...yuuummmmm

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/21/13 - 08:15 am
ClearCookies
ClearCookies 03/21/13 - 08:20 am
?

"RANT TO ALL THE black organizations that continue to segregate the black community after civil rights leaders fought so hard to end segregation."

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/21/13 - 08:22 am
SeenIt, yeah, that is interesting

SeenIt, yeah, that is interesting about coastal counties. In SC, Beaufort County is the healthiest. But it's all about the demographics if you look closely.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/21/13 - 08:30 am
ClearCookies.....to answer

ClearCookies.....to answer your question (mark).

NAACP
UNCF
Congressional Black Caucus
Organization of Black Aerospace Professionals
National Black Nurses Association
National Council of Negro Women, Inc.
National Coalition of 100 Black Women
National Black Chamber of Commerce
National Association of Black Accountants, Inc.
National Black MBA Association
National Society of Black Engineers
Organization of Black Designers

Do I need to list more?

Young Fred
Young Fred 03/21/13 - 08:32 am
?green?

I don’t like the definition of “green”. It dosen’t have near the benefits of, say, a red, or blue, or black, or white.

I propose we change the definition of green to equal that of red. It’s only fair, and if you disagree, you’re an ignorant neanderthal!

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/21/13 - 08:33 am
I get that too RM

. But it's all about the demographics if you look closely.

That is true too...but some of my love ones lived in Ft Pierce for 7 years or so...she said & I saw the difference too....that those years were some of the healthiest for her....pretty skin---good health--toned body ...all of it.....they were newly married so they ate a lot of fish --shrimp & etc..(not a lot of money for groceries )....maybe the sunshine was a factor too...& love-love-love....:):)

Young Fred
Young Fred 03/21/13 - 08:35 am
Riverman1, Not sure if

Riverman1, Not sure if Beaufort is the healthiest county, but it's dang sure one of the funnest!

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/21/13 - 08:39 am
Yeah, that fried shrimp in

Yeah, that fried shrimp in Beaufort and beer drinking sure makes for good health..heh.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/21/13 - 08:42 am
We Are Wild and Crazy Guys (and Gals)

We Chronicle commenters know how to have a good time. Just grab a controversial subject and start hitting vowels and consonants. Some would rather be playing golf, but we sit here with QWERTY discussing what county is healthiest. I can see the bright sunshine today out my window and the shimmer of the ripples on the river. My boat sits there lonely, but that’s okay, I need to bang these keys. No beer drinking and Texas Two stepping for me at the Country Club tonight. I have to be here when the new R and R’s are posted.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/21/13 - 08:42 am
"maybe the sunshine was a

"maybe the sunshine was a factor too...& love-love-love....:):)"

I'm sure it is. Those that live in pleasant climates are more active on the whole.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/21/13 - 08:49 am
Key West

Some of my family will be going to Key West Friday.....if only I could relive my 30s one more time.....I would pack in more beach time like they are .......I loved the Keys......I can see how some are happier than the cold weather folks....running around in shorts--flip flps & drinking rum drinks has to be good forya.....I dn't see a negative there...♥

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/21/13 - 08:56 am
Yeah, the beach fantasies.

Yeah, the beach fantasies. It's just a place where lots of good things happen.

Young Fred
Young Fred 03/21/13 - 08:58 am
Not trying to start a debate

Not trying to start a debate on corporal punishment…but when my son wanted to bring his little hand held Nintendo on our last hiking trip; I had to get a little GA Crazy on his behind!

He was glad in the end (), the end…. Never mind.