Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I AGREE WITH the pastor of the interfaith coalition. We should replace all Augusta Commission members, beginning with Marion Williams. He was a troublemaker the last time he was a commissioner and he is doing it again. Augusta will never move forward with leadership like his.

I AM ALL FOR improving public transit but we need routes to get people to jobs and doctor appointments, not to bars. If downtown bars want to pay for this, so be it, but the taxpayers should not be paying for a personal taxi service for people who want to get drunk at the downtown bars. Priorities, people.

RANT TO PARENTS who dress better for cold weather better than their children (especially toddlers and babies).

I CAN’T UNDERSTAND why the armed forces recruiting stations don’t go back to using post offices as they did for years. They have them mostly in every high-rent building. This would cut millions a month across the U.S. and help the Postal Service.

IT SAYS A LOT ABOUT the lack of patriotism of members of the Democratic Party when two of their members attend the funeral of a communist dictator who unabashedly hated America. What I am surprised about most, though, is that Obama didn’t go.

CONGRESS: IT’S time for impeachment proceedings.

SOUTH CAROLINA REP. Bakari Sellers says you can’t live healthy eating on a food stamp budget. Instead of encouraging people to get off food stamps, though, she screams that food stamp takers should get more food from taxpayers.

RANT TO ALL LOCAL radio stations. When you give away concert tickets, inform listeners the seats will be the worst in the whole arena. Your listeners travel to Atlanta or Charlotte, N.C., only to find their seats are in the nose-bleed section.

SO GRU WIPES out recent beloved history of ASU. Besides academic dishonesty at its height, the officials showed us how we can now correct the Civil War.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/14/13 - 08:40 pm
I'm guessing . . .

. . . that military recruiters don't set up in Post Offices because seventeen year olds don't go to the Post Office any more.

countyman
countyman 03/14/13 - 11:55 pm
Downtown is apart of the job corridor!

#2. The majority of jobs are located downtown, Medical District, and Fort Gordon. The Augusta Exchange area of West Augusta, and Highway 56 in South Augusta is next.

countyman
countyman 03/15/13 - 12:02 am
Growth!

This is for the multiple people who said Richmond County is not growing. I would call you out by name, but you know exactly who you are. The census released the 2012 estimates earlier today.

My predictions are becoming reality sooner than I actually thought. Some people begin moving back into the urban core, and certain suburban areas become older. Other people start moving further out(Appling, Lincolnton, Mccomick, Blythe, Hephzibah) to create exurbs(preliminary reports show Lincoln County was added to the MSA). I knew Richmond County will eventually surpass Aiken County, and then catch up to Columbia County. I didn't realize Richmond and Aiken would be this close together already. Richmond County will easily gain more residents compared to Aiken County by the next census(2020), and it' going to be a tight race against Columbia County. The couple of major factors include how well the older parts of Columbia County fair(Grovetown city limits, area zoned for Evans high, Old Evans/Blue Ridge/Old Petersburg area in Martinez, etc) over the next few years. Another major factor is the growth of GRU in the city. Private and public student housing developments will cause Richmond county to grow much faster. The other factor is whether cities similar to Hephzibah get to create their own charter schools.

Columbia= 124,053 to 131,627

Aiken= 160,106 to 162,812

Richmond= 200,549 to 202,587

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/15/13 - 12:39 am
Hmmm.. I wonder how much of

Hmmm.. I wonder how much of that is because of the cost of real estate in the burbs and the inability to flee Richmond County? Just axin...

(see, it is easy to spin it any way you want)

countyman
countyman 03/15/13 - 01:33 am
Why spin anything?

The entire metro area is growing, and everybody should be happy. The strongest cities in the nation have both vibrant urban cores, and suburbs. The faster Richmond County grows the more office jobs locate to Marshall Square in Evans, or manufacturing plants to Aiken County. The land in West Augusta/downtown can't attract every white collar development, and neither can South Augusta attract all the manufacturing projects coming in the future.

When did North Augusta, Grovetown, Harlem, Graniteville, etc become expensive places to live? North Augusta is definitely more expensive compared to the places above, but not against some other areas in the metro.

The majority of the real estate in the suburban counties is much cheaper compared to West Augusta, Summerville, Central Business District, Forest Hills, etc in Richmond County.

The Belair rd/Jimmie Dyess/Gordon Hwy(Jimmie Dyess-Groveotwn) area of Southwest Augusta, Olde Town, Goshen area of South Augusta, Willis Foreman rd/Diamond Lakes area of South Augusta, city limits of Hephzibah/Blythe, etc are growing too.

corgimom
corgimom 03/15/13 - 05:46 am
When did North Augusta,

When people fled Richmond County, it's all about demand driving up the prices.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/15/13 - 07:37 am
Columbia County has gained

Columbia County has gained almost 8,000 people in two years? Wowza. That's a 3 percent yearly growth rate. IT'S THE 45TH FASTEST GROWING COUNTY IN THE NATION ACCORDING TO THE CENSUS ESTIMATE. Of those counties over 100,000 in population it's the 24th fastest growing county in the NATION.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/15/13 - 07:19 am
Insane thinking..

Sooo the answer is to give more money for what...steaks--lobster---salads--any & all goodies of their choice....CRAZY DUMB BUTTS..

Why don't we just STOP all food stamps & open up fresh markets ONLY....fresh home grown veggies for the poor.....they either get that or do without.......no more chips--cakes-pies....sodas & lard....we need a change in that program all right.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/15/13 - 07:24 am
Spreading that dust countyman??

Sprinkle a little dust all over Augusta why doncha.....sprinkle like little diamonds .....glow glow glow....shine shine shine.......I wonder what ctyman drinks at night....what kind of juice does he put in his cup....

I wonder if he ever runs into Running Bare while he is sprinkling at night.....naaah....♥

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/15/13 - 07:33 am
Say what...

That has a nice ring to it but impossible to do....all jobs & Drs appts?? When will we learn that we can only do so much for the poor.....their family--church--friends will have to step up to the plate.....we can not be daddy giverment anymore......we can NOT pay our bills right now..

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/15/13 - 07:38 am
Post Office

Yeh...put the Marines back in the Post Office...I like that idea....help the PFc & cut back on baddies standing in line losing their temper with the clerks...

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/15/13 - 07:47 am
OOOHH Brother to this news

I can't wait til CGee hears this...

New dream ticket for Democrats in 2016.....H Clinton & M Obama....hahaahh....oooh boy......don't think it will work BUT put a male black VP with H Clinton & you will have the next WHouse ......

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/15/13 - 07:52 am
I see what yall are doing

I see some race baiting threads on here......not gonna fall for it.....yall stir the pot & then dare us to comment.....naahhh not gonna...

Wake up Quacks.....:):)

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/15/13 - 08:32 am
gotta laugh sometimes...

Jokes, Funny, laughs and Quotes

An older lady was somewhat lonely, and decided that she needed a pet to keep her company. So off to the pet shop she went. she searched and Nothing seemed to catch her interest, except this one ugly frog. As she walked by the barrel he was in, he looked up and winked at her! He whispered, “I’m lonely too, buy me and you won’t be sorry.” The old Lady figured, what the heck, as she hadn’t found anything else. So, she bought the frog and went to her car. Driving down the road the frog whispered to her, “Kiss me, you won’t be sorry.” So, the old lady figured what the heck, and kissed the frog. Immediately the frog turned into an absolutely gorgeous, sexy, handsome, young prince. Then the prince kissed her back, and you know what the old lady turned into?

The first motel she could find. (She’s old, not dead!)

bigj706
bigj706 03/15/13 - 08:33 am
I always thought that

I always thought that Richmond, Columbia, and Evans all together formed Augusta yeah they are divided but basically as a whole one city at anytime you in one part or another its not like it takes an hour to get any I just see so much division on here comparing counties I like the upgrades they are doing downtown ands I stay in Columbia I would love for downtown to be a place to take my family on a nice to hang out. When I have family from out of state visit I'm not just going to keep them in one county .

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/15/13 - 08:51 am
Good Morning "Knee Jerking" America

Rant #6 One Liner rated Number 1 in todays R&R's with #5 running a close second.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 03/15/13 - 08:56 am
B4

Countyman's too hip for Running Bare

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/15/13 - 09:12 am
Running Bare

Just for you this am...Miss Lilly

Now I have to go some place & dip my toes in the scented sweet smelling water.....have a rub down from pros......tingle-tangle---lordy lordy...sweet times are a-coming...hold on....cgee ya wanta come with me or wait til I get down there & we can have a perfumed mask slathered all over our bodies & massaged til we scream stop.....can't take it anymore.....please .....or should I take countyman ..lol hahahahh

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/15/13 - 09:25 am
CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/15/13 - 09:28 am
1 & 2

ARC Problem....No comment.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/15/13 - 09:29 am

Good decent loving parents wouldn't do that....Right?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/15/13 - 09:30 am

Maybe at the end of 4 years there will be no need for "Recruiting Stations".

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/15/13 - 09:33 am

Yea, Right!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/15/13 - 09:36 am
Maybe So

but aren't the seats being filled..that is why they advertise.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/15/13 - 09:39 am

What's the big deal, in 4 years "beloved history" at any location will be considered nothing but a "Fairy Tale"

countyman
countyman 03/15/13 - 10:37 am
Please comeback Charlotte!

Corgimom... I think you need to go visit North Augusta, Grovetown, Harlem, Graniteville, etc again.

Why didn't Costco follow this high demand? I noticed the corporate at Costco decided on West Augusta for some reason.

How can these places be in such high demand according to you and not eve have Starbucks, Target, Applebees, etc?

The best Grovetown could do is get a Steak & Shake outside of the city limits near I-20 with a Augusta address.

I can't believe somebody would try to make it seem like Harlem is a expensive place to live. The irony is some of the same people would downgrade South Augusta though.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/15/13 - 12:35 pm
Thanks TSD

for the 8 points....I needed them......

Darby
Darby 03/15/13 - 02:32 pm
"I CAN’T UNDERSTAND why....

the armed forces recruiting stations don’t go back to using Post Offices as they did for years. "
I would think that it's because most post offices today are smaller and more compact. Just not enough room.

On the other hand, given the poor economic performance by our Postal Service and their continuing decline, I'm thinking that in another year or two, the Armed Services can have all the buildings to themselves.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/15/13 - 05:39 pm
From the Census Bureau 2012

From the Census Bureau 2012 estimates that Countyman is talking about, Aiken's growth rate is not bad either. It has grown 1.7% in two years compared to Columbia County's 6% and Richmond's 1.01%. The CSRA is growing. Of course the nation is growing, too, at rate of 1.7% over the past two years.

Columbia County's growth over these past two years that puts them in the fastest growing counties in the nation is a major story. Of those counties over 100,000 in population it's the 24th fastest growing county in the NATION. Plus, the unemployment rate is only 6.7% compared to Richmond County's 10.3%. The median income for a household in the Columbia Country was $65,507. Columbia County's growth over these past two years that puts them in the fastest growing counties in the nation IS A MAJOR STORY.

It's not a knock on Richmond County because many metro areas have the same dynamics. Columbia County probably couldn't have all the great statistics without the central county of Richmond providing jobs and so on to the people of the CSRA.

Darby
Darby 03/16/13 - 04:56 pm

Richmond County elementary schools lead in weapons cases

There were more weapons-related incidents in Richmond County elementary schools during the 2014-15 school year than at middle or high schools, with the weapons ranging from blunt objects to handguns.