Ladder blamed for deadly I-285 crash

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:24 AM
Last updated 7:02 PM

EAST POINT, Ga. — Authorities say a ladder in the road is suspected of causing multi-vehicle crash that left one person dead and two injured on a metro Atlanta freeway.

Police say the accident happened Tuesday afternoon on Interstate 285 in East Point, just south of Atlanta.

The four-vehicle wreck, which included a jackknifed semitrailer, blocked all lanes of I-285 northbound at Washington Road for a time.

East Point police Lt. Cliff Chandler tells The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that authorities believe the ladder fell from an unknown vehicle on I-285. He said the first vehicle hit the ladder and was disabled, and then that vehicle was struck by the others, including the semi.

___

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/13/13 - 07:38 am
Sad situation

The very reason I don't like to drive around trucks with ladders & such...happens a lot around Atlanta area....

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 03/13/13 - 09:28 am
If you

carry a ladder on your vehicle, you might be an idiot.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 03/13/13 - 10:00 am
I-285 is a death trap

for so many reasons, including his kind of flying debris. A friend's child died on it very recently for the same general reason this wreck happened. I've had to be on it monthly of late and I can hardly wait for that necessity to end.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/13/13 - 11:17 am
Ladders and mattresses

Both are a common roadway obstruction around Atlanta expressways.

Sweet son
Sweet son 03/13/13 - 11:22 am
Several years ago my plan was to take the used Christmas

tree to the woods where I was deer hunting in Burke County. Got to the woods, looked in the bed of the truck and the tree was gone never to be seen again! LOL! Also had leaves to take to the woods one time and when I got to the country the rake was gone never to be seen again! :) The leaves, of course, were still there.

Gopher
Gopher 03/13/13 - 11:54 am
I-285

I've been bypassing 285 for at least 10 years now, don't drive on it, going downtown to 85, 75, whatever is faster and safer.
Sweet son, if you constantly loose stuff from the back of your truck maybe you should consider another type of vehicile to drive, for your safety and mine, or buy a rope and learn to use it.

pgapeach2
pgapeach2 03/13/13 - 05:40 pm
Speed limit

Having driven 285 numerous times to visit my niece, I can say that the posted speed limit is just that posted. No one from that area pays attention to the speed limit. If your driving the speed limit, your given the look like your at fault, even when your in the left lane.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/13/13 - 09:43 pm
You should get the stink eye

You should get the stink eye if you are in the left lane and going slower...

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 03/13/13 - 11:16 pm
I-285...

an ensuing disaster. I remember it for two reasons: My only speeding ticket in over a half-century of driving was given on I-285 for doing 70mph in the second right hand lane while being passed as if parked by the three left lanes.

Second was swerving in my old Volvo --that car handled so well-- when the truck in front of me violently swerved without warning and revealed an entire stove sitting placidly in the lane ahead. I could hear the paint molecules in my finish going "Eek, eek!" I passed so close.

Jan Warren Holley
Jan Warren Holley 03/14/13 - 10:08 am
ladder

While traveling back and forth to Alabama I dread the time I have to spend on I-285. Over the last 25 years I have seen 25 or more ladders on the road plus many other obsticals, including a pump nozzle complete with hose from a deizel pump. Speeding? Heck yes, everybody speeds. 80 in a 55 zone is common and the cops do nothing. Why,, because they would have to stop everyone. Going across country and avoiding I-285 takes an hour and a half.