Augusta man wins $500,000 lottery prize

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:43 AM
Last updated 4:37 PM

An Augusta man traded in an instant lottery ticket for a $500,000 top prize.

The winner, Expedito Rivera, purchased the winning Green instant ticket at Fuel Express, 2700 Peach Orchard Road, and later claimed his prize at Augusta’s Georgia Lottery District Office, according to a Tuesday posting on the lottery Web site.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/13/13 - 06:51 am
Good news

Good news from Peach Orch rd. .....congrats to winner.

BamaMan
BamaMan 03/13/13 - 07:46 am
Lottery

I just don't think I'd broadcast that I was a winner if there was any way around it. Course I rarely by lottery tickets, so the chances of that are slim.

razordog
razordog 03/13/13 - 08:32 am
You would think...

that all that money would solve a lot of problems. In reality, look how many problems all that money just might cause. I agree that I would not give my name (unless it's required). Just think of all the "long lost" relatives who would suddenly find you!

Dixieman
Dixieman 03/13/13 - 09:33 am
2,8888,942 POINTS

Hey, Coousin Expedito! Hi!! I know it's been a while, but....

Georgialina
Georgialina 03/13/13 - 09:43 am
@ razordog

Over a certain amounts it is required by Lottery "rules" that you must give them permission to use your name in their promotions.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/13/13 - 10:09 am
The road to riches is

The road to riches is littered with the carcasses of once rich lottery winners. Many of them are relatively modest or low income people, who have no concept of how large or small their winnings are.

Chigger Hill Man
Chigger Hill Man 03/13/13 - 10:45 am
You may be right Day

But give hit to me and I'll try to figure it out.

Darby
Darby 03/13/13 - 02:08 pm
One of these days....

my wife's demand that I buy a lottery ticket each time I buy gas will pay off big time.

Then I'll be faced with the dilemma of whether to tell her or not.

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/13/13 - 02:15 pm
Hope he is better

than the $500K winner over on Hwy 56 that promised the clerk a little something and NEVER came back with a dime.

That guy is a cheap sake.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 03/13/13 - 06:36 pm
Don't be hatin',nocnoc.

Don't be hatin',nocnoc. Congratulations, Mr. Rivera !

paladin5
paladin5 03/13/13 - 11:34 pm
CONGRATULATIONS

I saw the Special on TV about Lottery Disasters....So Congratulations and Spend Wisely......Hopefully.

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/14/13 - 07:18 am
Please take the time to READ my comment

it is NOT directed at this winner.

I in fact am very happy to see big lottery winnings are finally reaching the Augusta area.

My vent, as some might call it, is directed at a PREVIOUS South Side winner that got the hopes up of a young working mother with kids. A women working instead of drawing a Federal Give Me Check. A person trying to make ends meet by working as cashier in a gas station that has been robbed a few times. The Previous winner made a promise in front a several people that he would come back and give her something.

He has avoided the location since winning.

Yes I have spoken with the cashier, she isn't expecting anything, it is not her nature. But there sure are a lot of us that know her, and more than a few are ticked off, how the promise was made and broken. Heck the guy won $500K and after Taxes that's around $345K.

Is a simple gift card for a dinner at Long Horns too much?

When I win over $100, I usually tip the cashier that picks my tickets. An believe it of not, the cashiers know which tickets recently are and aren't paying off.

So bite me for my feelings of justice and fair play.
At least I do what I expect of others.

It called sharing a little joy and up holding a promise.