Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I THINK Richard Round­tree is doing a great job. I am glad he is an African-American man. Maybe this will open the eyes of the black community. A couple of hundred arrests, they can’t be doing wrong. They are focusing on where the lawbreakers are. Thanks again, Sher­iff Roundtree. Keep up the good work.

WHEN IS THE FCC or the ICC going to put some sort of regulatory device on televisions to get them to level out the volume between channels and commercials and regular broadcasting? When are they going to get the message?

LANEY HIGH HAS a “dean”? When did high schools start such hifalutin’ stuff? Is renaming an administrator supposed to make a school teach better, or does it just give an administrator a pay raise?

A CONCEALED WEAPON is like a parachute. If you need one and don’t have one, you probably won’t need one again.

I GOTTA SAY WE love Shoe Carnival. A few of the employees have been there for over 14 years or more. Most are friendly and helpful.

IT IS A SHAME more money is not given to the poor people. President Obama always speaks about the middle class. Robert Kennedy always spoke about what he would do for the poor. Pres­ident Obama doesn’t do that. I hope the next president will do something for poor people.

WHAT IS INTERESTING about Roundtree and his 12 percent raise is that both my wife and I work at Savannah River Site, our raise increases an average of 1 to 3 percent and we make half the money Roundtree makes.

MY HUSBAND IS offered insurance through his job, and it is not free. It costs $500 per month. All of you who say people who have insurance get it for free: It is not free; you have to pay for it.

CONGRATULATIONS to Vice President Joe Biden for being the best shotgun salesman of the year.

WHY IS IT that every time somebody says something about Section 8 or food stamps they are called a racist? That indicates there is only one race of people who are on Section 8 and food stamps. That is not correct. We are against fraud and misuse of Section 8 and food stamps.

NOW THAT OBAMA-created sequester cuts are looming, he is supporting the military? Can we impeach him yet?

Bantana
2071
Bantana 03/11/13 - 11:59 am
it was written: "Am I the

it was written: "Am I the only person that remembers that we did find chemical labs so sanitized they seemed to have never been used. "

Yes, I believe you are the only one. The hunt for evidence of WMD's in an effort to justify that debacle was feverish and fruitless. Our aggression is about one thing only...making a handful rich at the expense of taxpayers, civilian and miltary lives and the broken lives of those of left behind. The war in Iraq was and continues to be, the largest raid on the US Treasury in our brief history.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/11/13 - 12:00 pm
CVS

They already have a CVS near there. It would be better to locate the Walgreens where there is not another nearby pharmacy.

countyman
countyman 03/11/13 - 12:08 pm
Walgreens & CVS are two

Walgreens & CVS are two businesses who usually locate beside each other. The intersection bear Wrightsboro/ Jackson & North Leg comes to mind.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/11/13 - 12:13 pm
wowo

Yall sure know how to bring out the fuzzies in someone on here.....not saying HIS name ...:)

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/11/13 - 12:14 pm
Rotten to the Core

I got a kick out of reading Michelle Malkin's current column in today's Chronicle print edition. She was alerting readers to a new database being set up to track all kinds of personal information of individual students in public education. Some of the data she found curious to be in the database included:

–”Bus Stop Arrival Time” and “Bus Stop Description.”

–”Dwelling arrangement.”

–”Diseases, Illnesses and Other Health Conditions.”

–”Religious Affiliation.”

–”Telephone Number Type” and “Telephone Status.”

That one about “School Bus Stop Description” made me laugh. In my neighborhood, there are no school bus “stops” designated. The school bus goes down every street and stops at every house where a kid is standing on the curb. It's like a taxi service, and it's wasteful. The school system could save much transportation money if they did like they used to do and establish designated areas as school bus stops in safe, large, open spots in the neighborhoods.

I was reminded of a sex offender law that the Georgia General Assembly passed a decade or so ago whereby released sex offenders were not allowed to reside within 1,000 feet of a designated school bus stop. When Sheriff Ronnie Strength published a map of the banned areas, they only place left for sex offenders to live in Richmond County was Phinizy Swamp. A judge later threw out the law because it was too burdensome on the offenders.

Here's Michelle's column:

Rotten To The CORE

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/11/13 - 12:17 pm
harley_52
harley_52 03/11/13 - 12:29 pm
I'm Not Going To....

....get into another pointless discussion about Saddam's WMD, except to say that it wasn't just GWB who was convinced Saddam had them, it was the whole world including democrat Senators/Congressmen and just about every legitimate Intelligence Agency around the world. Heck, even Saddam was convinced he had WMD.

Bush did not LIE about WMD. Period. Those who claim he did are simply left-wing ideologues who never let facts get in the way of a good agenda.

The truth of the matter is that we still, today, don't know what happened to Saddam's WMD. Many believe they were trucked to Syria. Yes, Syria...the same place where a genocide is taking place and one group of muslim fanatics are fighting another group of muslim fanatics for control.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/11/13 - 01:38 pm
Hmmmm....a thumbs down for

Hmmmm....a thumbs down for posting factual links. I wonder who doesn't like facts....and why?

Wouldn't it be nice if those who "TSD" were required to have the guts to vocalize why?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/11/13 - 01:37 pm
So Obama closes OUR White

So Obama closes OUR White House access, but sells access to OFA donors of $500,000 or more.

News flash Mr. President. That house doesn't belong to YOU!

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/11/13 - 03:31 pm
Filtered tags.

There is no reason to have a filtered tag except to obscure the tag numbers to make the vehicle difficult to identify. The filter is illegal, isn't it? If it's illegal, they should be stopped, ticketed and investigated further. If I see a filtered tag, I am immediately suspicious the driver is up to no good.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/11/13 - 03:35 pm
While you're at it.

While you're at it, could someone post a sign or two on Bobby Jones between Deans Bridge where it is proper to resume normal speed of 55 after the sign that says speed limit is 45. I have not seen a 55mph sign on Bobby Jones from Deans Bridge Road, past Peach Orchard Road, past Mike Padgett Highway, until past Doug Barnard Parkway! If I can't spot one, how are out-of-towners supposed to know what the speed limit is? Are the speed limit signs now in some recycling center?

Darby
31959
Darby 03/11/13 - 03:37 pm
"I hope the next president will.....

do something for poor people."
The best thing anyone can do for poor people is to stop holding them down by lavishing free stuff on them.

How hard would you work if you knew you would never need to?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 03/11/13 - 03:57 pm
Social Programs

EBT and Public Housing! I'm tending to see these programs as a form of slavery. Hitler had his Baby Mama's and Baby Daddy's. I wonder who these are breeding for?

Darby
31959
Darby 03/11/13 - 04:24 pm
"I wonder who these are....

breeding for?"
Thought you knew. They are called Democrat voters..

harley_52
harley_52 03/11/13 - 04:40 pm
justthefacts
justthefacts 03/11/13 - 04:55 pm
Rant @ harley

Thanks harley, all that talk about Ruth's Chris last weekend ended up costing me $200.00. Nice dinner though.

harley_52
harley_52 03/11/13 - 05:15 pm
"...they only place left for sex offenders to live....

....in Richmond County was Phinizy Swamp."

Works for me.

Whomever designed the plan should get a bonus.

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/11/13 - 05:50 pm
What is the South Side worth to Augusta

Augusta - Richmond Co. brings in about $110M and a person with knowledge of the District Lines and where things are located will quickly see The South Side brings the ARC about $40M of its $110M Property Taxes.

Remember every District except #3 & #7 include property on the South Side.

Of the 8 - 3 Districts are all or 90+% South Side
Of the 8 - 2 district are 75+% South Side.

So 5 of the 8 Districts are mainly South Side.

So who needs whose money?

harley_52
harley_52 03/11/13 - 06:25 pm
" Nice dinner though."

LOL...

Sorry, JTF....never said it was cheap. For $200, you didn't skimp.

Once or twice a year, it's worth the big ticket, IMHO.

Was it worth the drive?

happychimer
happychimer 03/11/13 - 07:02 pm
I would not spend $200 at a

I would not spend $200 at a restaurant. no way.

KSL
KSL 03/11/13 - 08:09 pm
Regarding restaurants

I'll drive to Columbia in a skinny minute to go to The Melting Pot.

KSL
KSL 03/11/13 - 08:18 pm
Every Walgreens I know of in

Every Walgreens I know of in the Aiken area was built near an existing CVS. Both stores in our neighborhood are going well, they say.

happychimer
happychimer 03/11/13 - 08:18 pm
just to eat? Nope not me. No

just to eat? Nope not me. No place is that good, except home.That's just me.

KSL
KSL 03/11/13 - 08:44 pm
Promise you

It is/was.

harley_52
harley_52 03/11/13 - 09:05 pm
In Your Face Marketing...

CVS, Rite Aid, and Walgreens.

Also, Home Depot and Lowes, Office Depot and Staples, and others.

Darby
31959
Darby 03/11/13 - 09:43 pm
It's forever been a good...

marketing strategy to build near your competition. Gives customers a chance to comparison shop. Causes competitors to keep prices reasonable.