Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RANT TO WHOEVER designed the Ruffin Court­house: Could you have put the wheelchair ramp any farther away from the parking? And what is it with all the brickwork in front? That would make for good parking so that people would not have to walk a half mile in the rain, like I had to, only to find that I had to go up steps too!

I KNOW I AM NOT THE only person tired of nonprofit organizations that make millions every year asking me for a donation of any kind. Maybe you should lower the fees for membership and the services you provide so that those people you claim your services support can afford to patronize your facilities.

I ATTENDED John Bar­row’s town hall meeting at the Evans library, and I was surprised to hear that he really is voting the issues for the good of the state and his constituents and is being very transparent about it. It was really informative, and I only wish more young people would attend such forums.

SO PEOPLE WANT TO get into office so that their relatives benefit? Or so they can benefit as subcontractor instead of contractor? Any personal benefits to you or your own business is too shady to warrant your so-called service as commissioner. Resign, Smith.

RANT ABOUT MY government no longer honoring the Bill of Rights. Are they scared of us or something?

EXCELLENT IDEA ON giving those of us who have paid many thousands of dollars into Social Secur­ity our money back to leave the system without any claims to the government in the future. As it is now, I doubt I will see a penny of it since I don’t start collecting for another 11 years. Thieving politicians!

RANT TO THE Silver Bluff High School teacher who quit on her students in the middle of the year before a replacement could be found to take a job for a congressman. Rant to U.S. Congressman Joe Wilson for hiring such an unprofessional and immature person.

LARRY PELLEGRINI SAYS: “Adding to the death penalty … has never been a solution to … violence. ” Since the death penalty eliminates one violent person, it certainly solves at least one problem.

THE SYRIAN government attacked a hospital. Nice guys, those Syrians.

Jake
Jake 03/09/13 - 07:46 pm
Side Jobs

If the commissioners involved followed the proper protocol to obtain work from the city of Augusta then there should not be a problem. Maybe their bids were lower than the others, assuming a bidding process took place. Not putting the work out for bid might suggest some shenanigans were going on.

Riverman1
82099
Riverman1 03/10/13 - 07:07 am
Parking at the Ruff House

I'm surprised the person in the wheelchair found ANY parking at the Ruff House.

Riverman1
82099
Riverman1 03/10/13 - 07:22 am
Time

Sometimes, like the morning after and being the rule bender I am, I have the need to get my life back within the guidelines. I need to prove that I can obey minutia and rotate my tires on schedule. Those kinds of things. So I actually set my clock an hour early last night to conform to the edicts put out by the authorities that I should wake up an hour early. I’m drinking coffee, reading the Chronicle and will start my Turbo Tax nightmare soon. I’m feeling like a competent cog in society’s wheel this morning. Tell the authorities I’m up.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/10/13 - 07:59 am
Follow the guidelines haha

Post within the lines...follow rules...rotate tires...NOT gonna happen with some of us......& THEY make this place fun..

If we didn't have them this place would DRY up & float away..

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/10/13 - 08:00 am
Silver Bluff teacher

OMG....don't we have enough laid off teachers to replace just one...

Riverman1
82099
Riverman1 03/10/13 - 08:01 am
SeenIt, I can tell you ain't

SeenIt, I can tell you ain't got over that filtered word thing yet. Heh.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/10/13 - 08:01 am
How

How does a wheelchair go up steps...I mean ...really ...how does it...

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/10/13 - 08:04 am
HEH...what gives that away river?? heh

Jack & Jill went up the hill to fetch (something)

Now some can make something out of THAT.....anyhooo moving on....I read that the paper in Athens allowed more leeway with words & such........I wonder why ...

Riverman1
82099
Riverman1 03/10/13 - 08:09 am
They know more cuss words in Athens

They know more cuss words in Athens than we do. Probably just know more words period, come to think of it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/10/13 - 08:15 am
I might need more cuss words soon

Cable tv guy is coming soon....about 10 of my channels fell off about a week ago....sooo the appt they gave me is 8am this morning....so much trouble with cable at times....drop on ground forever....channels changing & never comig up again...thinking about satellite but some trouble with that too neighbors say.....I'm sick of them deciding what cable we have to have in every neighborhood....

Riverman1
82099
Riverman1 03/10/13 - 06:07 pm
I use to have Comcast, but

I use to have Comcast, but Knology ran a cable down the road by accident thinking there was a housing area out here. So I hooked into the much better, new Knology cable. I should just twist the Comcast and Knology lines together and see if I can double my channels.

Okay, Turbo Tax time for me. If y'all have any tips on how to cheat email me. But, y'all know me, I'd turn you in and get a share of the recovered money.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/10/13 - 08:23 am
Talking about cussing..

When I read the salary list ...I cussed some...I can not believe Azziz salary is $636,000......who actually writes his check....does it come from Atlanta??

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/10/13 - 08:27 am
Scooter store trouble

Cussed again when I read that they are in trouble for misuse of medicare at the tune of 87 million....

Laid off all employees.......no more cheesy commercials on tv.

Jane18
Jane18 03/10/13 - 08:36 am
$636,000?

I want to know, WHO or WHAT determines why this guy receives this kind of money....... It cannot be for looks or his not-so-pleasing character, sooooooooooo, how can a troublemaker like him be paid all that money? This is UNBELIEVABLE!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/10/13 - 08:39 am
heh heh Jane18

Are you cussing ....lol

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/10/13 - 09:23 am
Good Morning "My" America

Darn, overslept this Am.

Only one comment for R&R today.

Simple....ask FEMA or Home Land Security. They are the ones buying all the guns and ammo. Oh, forgot, ask the Hammer & Sickle man, he is building more Drones.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/10/13 - 09:48 am
Conflict

Jake, there is no proper protocol for a city commissioner to do business with the city. The conflict of interest ordinance is clear. No commissioner nor any member of the commissioner's immediate family are forbidden to do so.

When Grady got caught, he started a process to change the ordinance. Hopefully, that will not go anywhere.

justthefacts
justthefacts 03/10/13 - 09:57 am
Sad

Augusta doesn't deserve Grady Smith. I wish he would move on and let the usual crowd make all the decisions. They have an excellent track record.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 03/10/13 - 10:27 am
allhans
allhans 03/10/13 - 11:34 am
An evangelist this morning

An evangelist this morning said that a man should lead his wife but she can't follow if he is in park...

Jake
Jake 03/10/13 - 11:49 am
Park

My wife has her own car and sometimes drives slow in the left lane.

dichotomy
31960
dichotomy 03/10/13 - 12:38 pm
Ranter #1......that's what

Ranter #1......that's what happens when you locate, design, and name a building based on politics and "redelvopment" instead of practicality and accessibility.

Ranter #2......non-profits usually benefit the salaried officers and paid fundraisers more than their cause they claim to be helping.

Ranter #5.....the short answer is yes. They are buying huge amounts of ammunition for domestic law enforcement agencies, practicing helicopter gun runs down the main streets of American cities, and reserving the right to launch drone attacks against American citizens in this country.

seenitB4....."thinking about satellite but some trouble with that too neighbors say"

I had both cable and satellite for years. Took the satellite with me in my camper and used it in the house when the cable was out....which seemed to happen every few weeks. I dropped cable years ago when the phased out the analog signal and wanted me to "rent" 6 set top converters or immediately run out and buy all new TVs. I assure you I have had MUCH less outages with satellite than when I had cable.....only loose the signal during a frog strangler rain and usually only lasts 15 minutes or so. Sometimes a little longer but NEVER 72 hours like cable. And I've NEVER had to call a service truck since 1997. I will admit that I kept a spare LNB for the DIRECTV dish and a spare receiver that I bought off of eBay here at the house and had to replace them once due to a lightning strike. That took me about an hour after the storm was over. I use a Verizon 4G LTE MiFi device for my internet and, so far, that has been more dependable than cable too. I used to use Hughesnet satellite for internet too. That worked okay but it was SLOOOW.

dstewartsr......"They know"

You are right there my friend. They know more about us than Santa Claus.

Sweet son
Sweet son 03/10/13 - 02:10 pm
Seenit, Jane and anyone else.

Try this for a multitude of salaries!

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/10/13 - 03:34 pm
Thanks for info dichotomy

Exactly what they want out of me..

They are getting on my last nerve.....more money all the time....& thank you sweetson for your valuable info too....

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 03/10/13 - 04:30 pm
Cable v Satellite

... I chose neither. My son has like a bajillion channels package; most of them sports, which we don't watch. I have an antenna from Amazon- $38.59 with free two day shipping and an $11.00 coaxial cable from Wallyworld. No monthly bill- priceless. I get the main broadcast channels ABC (2), CBS (3), CW, FOX (2), NBC (2), PBS (3) and FOX Greenville after 2200.

harley_52
harley_52 03/10/13 - 07:43 pm
In Spite Of All You Read On Here....

...apparently Augusta-Richmond County isn't the only city government with problems.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 03/10/13 - 11:46 pm
RE: 07:43

In every instance cited, it is the taking class majority of the city suing to keep the paying class in subjegation using the cudgel of crying racism.