Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

SOME OF THE HUMOR on the Oscars was absolutely disgusting.

I CAN’T BELIEVE how Augusta gives raises to elected officials. Two get raises after three months and the tax commissioner just writes a letter and gets a raise. I am so glad that North Augusta doesn’t do business like that.

IT IS A SHAME firefighter and deputies of this county can’t get a raise for the work they do risking their lives, but a tax commissioner who loses money gets a raise and the other two get raises for doing nothing. A guess next Fred Russell will get a raise.

RAVES TO Pam Tucker. She works tirelessly and is dedicated to her professional commitment in Columbia County.

IF YOU ARE A Communist, move to North Korea. We will stop your efforts in the USA.

RANT TO BELL Auditorium for not providing restroom facilities for the hundreds of people who had to wait in line to register as a contestant on The Price is Right on Feb. 10. Please do better in the future for such events.

GIVING ROUNDTREE A raise to his $110,000 salary proves “money don’t buy class.” Especially true when hearing about his disgusting behavior on a recent bus trip to Atlanta. Total embarrassment for Richmond County!

RAVE FOR THE three small children who handed out Valentines and candy to the veterans at the uptown veterans hospital on Valentine’s Day. They were very well-accepted by the patients and the staffers who were glad to see someone take an interest in the veterans.

I DOUBT THERE will be an American pope in the foreseeable future. The Church just wants our money.

ACCORDING TO SYLVIA Cooper, Grady Smith is on the wrong team. I take it that it’s a racially divided team, according to the way she writes her column. While she is waiting on the downfall of our newly elected sheriff, she may be careful of her own. There is a new sheriff in town; they are called the majority.

I’M SICK OF President Obama and his Chicken Little impersonation. Let it happen and stop trying to scare everyone.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/08/13 - 11:41 pm
OT from all of the above: I

OT from all of the above:

I saw Sargebaby today and he was in a chipper mood. The staff seem to be taking very good care of him and he is comfortable in that facility. For those unfamiliar, Jim is a Vietnam veteran and a courageous man. He has fought and survived this cancer demon longer than most.

He looked a lot better than the last time I saw him. He appreciates all of the good thoughts and prayers.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/09/13 - 07:09 am
I 100% agree with this rant.....

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/09/13 - 07:11 am
I doubt it too...for many reasons

I DOUBT THERE will be an American pope in the foreseeable future

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/09/13 - 07:17 am
The rant said

Total embarrassment for Richmond County!

There are many things that will embarrass others...I don't think Rtree has a lock on that.....watch tv & listen to the radio sometimes.....even the nursery rhymes can cause flack.....we pick & choose don't we.....sometimes it is the PERSON & not the quote.......really.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/09/13 - 07:20 am
Yep...some was

SOME OF THE HUMOR on the Oscars was absolutely disgusting.

and some was downright funny....he wasn't the right pick for host....imo....he is too cutting edge.....more on the edge.:)
Like some on here .....lol

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/09/13 - 07:24 am
Joy Behar

Does anyone care if she leaves the View.....or if the View goes away....they are tooo 1-sided to me.....& Barbara WAWA needs to go out to pasture & take P Morgan with her...imho

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/09/13 - 07:29 am
There is a new sheriff in town;

All I can say is ..."I am glad they found the rape suspect as soon as they did."

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/09/13 - 07:50 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 03/09/13 - 08:07 am
dichotomy
dichotomy 03/09/13 - 08:17 am
"I am glad they found the

"I am glad they found the rape suspect as soon as they did."

It's really too bad that Roundtree and his sponsors on the commission chose to make his salary an issue 6 weeks into his term. A few more headlines like catching this rapist over the next few months and he could have gotten his pay raise with public support without leaving a bad taste in half of the county's mouths.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/09/13 - 08:18 am
Fake Yellow Cab

I’m still shaking my head about that fake Yellow Cab the dispatcher apparently claimed was around town after the woman passenger complained the driver groped her. Maybe we should have the Sheriff send cars to follow Yellow Cabs down the yellow brick road past the Scarecrow and Mayor of Munchkin City until we can find the fake cab and get Dorothy back home.

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/09/13 - 09:12 am
Sheriff Roundtree - comments

Those of you that know me, know that I fought tooth and nail not to see him elected. His past was a big issue with me and many on my political side of the isle. Neither do I know the sheriff on any personal basis, or through friends, nor likely will I ever. We run in different political circles.

Like many, I opposed the Sheriff Roundtree walking in the door raise.
But with that said, and moving forward. It is done, we need to get over it, its been cooked long enough to stick a fork in it. Now we either have to shallow it, or create a new a legal process to spit it out. Which ain't gonna happen.

Way too many people are milking this and ANY Roundtree issue they can find, for their political and/or media ratings and not with the public interest in mind.

Therefore,as a resident of Richmond County, I would like to congratulate our sheriff's department for the good police work recently delivered to the people of our county. No there is no election coming up, there is not impeachment of the Sheriff being discussed. There is no need to start doing fluff pieces for Roundtree's re-election and likely I will oppose him again. So this is best time to say this, because it cannot be construed as a political re-election support, tail kissing and/or an op-ed piece.

But so far based on delivered RCSO actions, he has been straight forward with the media and the Richmond County residents since taking office. Whether or not the media likes it, the RCSO is showing signs of moving forward and some success.

So give this some thought,
In the past 16 years Augusta-Richmond County has demographically shifted and its culture has also changed. So it is only the natural progression of things that eventually every major elected position will start to reflect those same changes.

Plus, so far he has toed the line and maintained his cool while on the job. He has started a few much needed high profile enforcement efforts that are focused on continued issues on the South Side.

With any Sheriff I am looking for enforcement results with in the letter of the law. So far I have seen, some of those results. If or when he screws up, I will be there shooting my mouth off as usual.

So until he Royally Screws Up, I plan to sit back and give him a chance.

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/09/13 - 09:16 am
Fred Russell Raise

I hope the raise Fred Russell gets is at his next employer.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/09/13 - 09:26 am
Sheriff

I'm with NocNoc. About the recent success of the RCSO, it’s interesting how fast they caught the rapist. Also, impressive was the killing of the black man in his house was not met with protests after the Sheriff’s people talked with the residents of the neighborhood. As y’all know I was a Sanders’ supporter and believe his completely opposite policing techniques would have also worked, also, but Roundtree has advantages. He knows the people and they know him. He is able to go among the urban residents as one of them. I was told Tree and his guys have informally met with the bad urban players and given warnings and at the same time assured them of fair play. Community policing at its most immediate level in action.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/09/13 - 10:59 am
noc noc

Great post about Roundtree....my feelings too.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/09/13 - 11:58 am
Not much

for me to comment on today. A least I know I.want get any love letters.

Great news about Sarge. He's a tough old bird.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/09/13 - 02:10 pm
The Scooter Store

i guess we won't be seeing those commercials any longer...they just laid off their entire work force...it seems they are being investigated for medicare misuse to the tune of 87 million dollars...wow....we always thought that thing was fishy when we saw it on tv.....

Jake
Jake 03/09/13 - 03:28 pm
Big Rave

A big rave to the Augusta Chronicle for the 2013 Edition of their Masters coverage. A lot of memorable stories in the section that bring back many memories.
I was 9 when I moved to Augusta in January 1960. I didn't know a thing about golf or who any of the players were. I remember being amazed that television coverage was right here in our town. I always thought TV was for the big cities.
Arnie won that year and by 1962 when he won again I thought he was the greatest golfer ever and became a fan of his. Then reality set in when Nicklaus won in 1963. I couldn't stand "Fat Jack" and neither did a lot of other people, especially the press. I think it was Dan Jenkins that penned the words concerning Nicklaus and his relation with Arnie at that time, "Young Jack ventures into Sherwood Forest for the first time and he shoots Robin Hood."
I have since become a Nicklaus fan and his triumph in 1986 is by far the best Masters I have ever witnessed.

justthefacts
justthefacts 03/09/13 - 03:46 pm
1975

1986 was great. I think the best was 1975. Nicklaus, Miller, and Weiskopt battling down the stretch when Jack makes that 40 ft putt on 16 with Tom and Johnny standing on the tee watching. Jack running up the green with his putter over his head. Great golf!

Darby
Darby 03/09/13 - 05:57 pm
"we always thought that thing was fishy....

when we saw it on tv....."

Never thought it was fishy, rather thought it was exactly what it looked to be. A humongous ripoff of the American taxpayer on the same magnitude of the infamous Obamaphone.

Kettle donations rise in 2014