Bill Kirby

Online news editor for The Augusta Chronicle.

Send in your ideas of unique, historic spots in Augusta

A difference of opinion is what makes horse racing and missionaries.

Video: Kirby's Augusta
Loading the player...

– Will Rogers

Igot a phone call this week from a TV production company coming to Augusta for the Masters Tournament. They wanted to know what I thought were some of the unique, historic spots of our town.

“That’s a tough one,” I said. “There are so
many.”

They had heard of our “Haunted Pillar” on Broad Street and seemed excited about it. But I had to tell them the truth – it wasn’t really haunted and the years had apparently diminished the power of its deadly curse.

“I’ve touched it several times,” I admitted. “Best I can tell, it causes middle-age hair loss.”

I told them , however, I would get back quick with some suggestions, so, I am asking for your help.

What would you say are some of the unique, historic spots of our region that a TV company from out-of-town might find interesting? Zip me an e-mail.

HISTORY HOUSES: One thing I have mentioned to visitors that I think Augusta has all to itself is this: Two little boys living next to each other on what we now call Seventh Street.

Their fathers were both preachers and the boys played on the same neighborhood baseball team, one at second base and one at third.

Those little boys – Woodrow Wilson and Joseph R. Lamar – grew up to up to become a president of the United States and a U.S. Supreme Court Justice, respectively.

I don’t think that’s ever happened anyplace else, but it happened here.

SENIOR MOMENT: I woke up, I lifted my arms, I
moved my knees, I turned my neck.

Everything made the same noises: “SNAP, CRACKLE, POP!”

I came to a conclusion ... I’m not old, I’m “Crispy”

ARC HALL OF FAME: There are still a few weeks left to nominate someone for the Academy of Richmond County Hall of Fame. Nominations end March 31.

Last year’s event was very well-received, and I am told this year the awards might be presented at the old ARC building on Telfair Street behind the municipal building. That would certainly add a historic touch to a school with so much history.

If you have any nominations, send the forms to: Academy of Richmond County, 910 Russell St., Augusta, GA 30904. Attention: Hall of Fame Committee

TODAY’S JOKE: Bill Wood, of Hephzibah shares this one:

A wife texts husband on a cold winter’s morning: “Windows frozen, won’t open.”

Husband texts back: “Gently pour some lukewarm water over it.”

Wife texts back 5 minutes later: “Computer is really screwed up now.”

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 03/08/13 - 09:04 am
The site of Ty Cobb's professional debut...

...THAT is pretty important, I would think.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 03/08/13 - 09:19 am
...and I believe...

Augusta is the birthplace of Eve Plumb's father, NEELY PLUMB.

Eve, of course, is better known as JAN BRADY.

Smoke On The Water
Smoke On The Water 03/08/13 - 01:41 pm
Camp Hancock

Camp Hancock and all the history that followed and encompassed the land up to the creation of Daniel Field.

freedombelle
freedombelle 03/08/13 - 02:10 pm
Cotton;

The museum about the history of cotton in Augusta and the old Petersburg boat ride on the canal? Many historic sites on that route. Begins at Enterprise Mill!

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 03/08/13 - 02:53 pm
Stallings Island

It's not in "Augusta" proper - but the site of Stallings Island that can be seen from the Savannah Rapids Pavilion...it's a neat piece of archeological history. The Visitor Center there offers tours and a history of the area - like the canal headgates, etc. Not to mention it's a beautiful park.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 03/08/13 - 02:56 pm
Magnolia Cemetary

Is another suggestion...there are some significant historical folks buried there..some facinating history.

David Parker
David Parker 03/08/13 - 05:03 pm
The Miller Theatre Sibley

The Miller Theatre
Sibley Mill
Turner Keyboards/Crazy Cecil's

Would've been neato to send them to the old V.A. or old WJBF studio or Norman's arcade but they are shadows and dust now.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 03/09/13 - 10:26 am
Crazy Cecil's

OMG! What a blast from the past...I LOVED that place as a kid!

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 03/11/13 - 04:44 am
Discoteque Lounge, featuring

Discoteque Lounge, featuring the world famous "Snake Lady"!
Nuff said about that one.

JohnScott213
JohnScott213 03/11/13 - 11:20 am
New Savannah Bluff Cemetary, Phinizy Cemetary...

The New Savannah Bluff cemetery at the Lock and Dam, the Phinizy cemetery on Lock and Dam Rd., St. Paul's/Ft. Augusta, George Washington's site of visit to Augusta on Mike Padgett Hwy., Tobacco Rd., Windsor Spring, Augusta International Speedway, etc., are few that come to mind.

younameit
younameit 03/11/13 - 09:56 pm
A million years ago

When North and South America were separated from Europe and Africa,they didn't just pull apart like taffy. There was compression and recession, and it caused the earth to buckle. The energy released was beyond comprehension. The effect of that is what we call the Savannah River Shoals. It's visible and every bit as impressive as Mount St. Helen's. The viewing can be done at sunrise and, if that sight doesn't bring you to prayer, you ain't right. If that's too ancient, Historic Augusta can provide "first- person" travels through two centuries from the perspectives of local governors (6), pastors, confederate generals (7), inventors (includig the first cotton gin and steamboat), farmers and builders. - including the development of the Bon Air resort and golf club (ancestor of the Augusta Country Club), now the site of Cumming, Hickman, Gardner, and Gary Streets. The quadrangle (parade grounds)and surrounding masonry walls of the Augusta Arsenal (GRU) are still relatively pristine, and on the site of U.S. Senator Freeman Walker's plantation.