Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RANT FOR BUTLER students. You have been snookered by a slick talker that you swallowed hook, line and sinker. Now you want repayment for your mistake. Now consider President Obama’s speeches from 2009 to present. Those supporters continue to be snookered, but nonsupporters have no recourse but continue to be put under the bus.

I AM NOT IN FAVOR OF this idea to run city buses from Fort Gordon to the downtown bars on the weekends. I have the utmost respect for our soldiers at Fort Gordon, but I don’t think the taxpayers should be making it easier for anyone to go out and get drunk in a bar. I doubt the military brass is in favor of this, either. The taxpayers should not be subsidizing sinful behavior like alcohol consumption and public drunkenness. Let’s have buses to take people to church instead.

MORAL COWARDS wearing judge’s robes gave stays of execution to two vicious killers.

I AM GOING IN TOMORROW and demand a pay raise because I deserve it. I got one of them diplomas on my wall, make minimum wage and no benefits. If they don’t give me that raise I’ll show them. I quit.

IF THE POST OFFICE is going broke and has to cut back on deliveries, require all these junk (bulk) mail senders to put a stamp on everything just like I have to. Pretty soon, no junk mail, the post office is solvent, delivers every day, and doesn’t have tons to lug around. Sorry Publishers Clearing House!

RANT TO SHERIFF Roundtree requesting a raise. How can he just get into office wanting a raise when all other employees working for the city have not gotten a raise in years? Ridiculous.

BEFORE THE PUBLIC transit starts adding more bus routes, they need to extend several routes and have them run more often. They need to have them run at least every 15-20 minutes apart instead of just every half hour to an hour and add more buses to each route.

I AM ASHAMED OF the two raises just given. Help poor people instead of the greedy – Roundtree and McIntyre.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/04/13 - 11:54 pm
#2

So, am I to understand that you think these young men and women are responsible enough to get killed fighting terrorists and state enemies, but not responsible enough to enjoy a night out on the town with safe transportation to and from?
Whew!! I'm glad that your view isn't widely held.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/04/13 - 11:59 pm
Mail. If I am not mistaken it

Mail. If I am not mistaken it is the junk mailers keeping them in business; that and parcel service.

Public Transit. IMO Augusta is in a tough place with public transit; not enough riders to justify expansion of routes or frequency, but too many people needing the service to cut it back.

countyman
19754
countyman 03/05/13 - 03:15 am
Public Transporation must EXPAND!

There's more than enough riders if the bus sytem were ran effectively. The object is to connect Fort Gordon, Downtown, Augusta Exchange, Medical District, Augusta Regional, etc.

The business journal April 2012 population for Richmond County is 203,152.

The population & lage private sector growth will force the public system to improve. The Augusta Greenway and charging stations would be the next step.

countyman
19754
countyman 03/05/13 - 03:18 am
The Growth continues! Please stop the hate!

I wonder if the Chronicle would ever print something related to all of the recent developments in Richmond County. The answer is probably no, because this is too much positive information.

1. $172 million Starbucks
2. $115 million Rockwood
3. upscale apartments in South Augusta(Ft Gordon Place)
4. new music venue in South Augusta
5. 45,000 sq. ft. Harrington Park & Health
6. Hagler Systems 40k sq. ft building expansion/25k sq. ft office expansion/6k sq. ft. warehouse
7. 25 acre commercial development on 15th street
8. Home 2 Suites by Hilton/Holiday Inn Express/Residence Inn by Marriott/Hampton Inn
9. Medac expansion 70 jobs
10. Sprint Food & Metro Market next to the Augusta Common(Open air seating, 1st floor urban market: restaurant/convenience store, and 2nd floor Sprint Food corporate offices and space for other tenants)

And some people want us to believe Augusta's not growing, or this terrible city. The private investors seem to disagree with that notion. The upcoming construction at the Village at Riverwatch, Carmax area, and 44 acres at Walton Way/I-20 will quickly make people jump on the bandwagon.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 03/05/13 - 05:42 am
County, I do have an honest

County, I do have an honest question for you, and you seem the best to answer it. I've been hearing for quite a long time now about the upcoming construction at the Village at Riverwatch. I don't live in that area, so I haven't been able to keep an eye on it. However, the other day, my son and I drove through that area and I was shocked that just about all I saw was Costco. I remembered that a theater was to go up in there, but I couldn't see ANY construction for it at all....nothing. Not even land that was cleared for it. When is something other than Costco going to be built there?

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/05/13 - 07:46 am
Richmond County Advantages

Richmond County does have advantages. There is mega industry in South Augusta pouring millions into the economy with jobs and taxes. West Augusta has a fantastic number of hotels contributing property taxes and the hotel tax, plus the Target shopping center. If West Augusta were an incorporated city the per capita income level would be much higher than the rest of the county. The demographics of that side of the county are much like Columbia County.

junkyardpig
junkyardpig 03/05/13 - 08:12 am
raises

guess the welfare sector will get cost of living raises while the rest of us are have to deal with cuts. what a bunch of moochers

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/05/13 - 08:38 am
Obama Refuses Power To Distribute Cuts

This is getting to be absurd. Republicans are trying to give the President the power to distribute the cuts as needed, but Obama refuses. Do you think he WANTS chaos in order to blame it on Republicans? I sense with the Bob Woodward articles and this refusal the tide is turning with public opinion about who is to blame.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/05/13 - 09:14 am
I do believe

that now most of the problems to lie with the previous administration. The Emperor finally got it right. Now, will one of you Emperor supporters please tell me why he is still campaigning for re-election? Couldn't be the executive order that he signed giving the President full control of the government in case of a national emergency declared by.... yep, you guessed it.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/05/13 - 09:14 am
Re: Federal Furloughs

State government employees (including teachers) and local government employees began experiencing furloughs in 2009. Some are still on furloughed schedules.

Federal civil service workers (and defense department employees) have not had to go through reduced work schedules for the past four years. It's their turn now.

I do question why they're talking about a one-day-a-week furlough schedule (20% reduction in hours and pay) when the sequestration cuts are approximately 2.3%. Something is fishy, here. Obama may just be trying to gin up public outrage. He may be disappointed when the public finds out very little changes when government workers don't show up for work.

- - - - - - - - Something to look for - - - - - - - - - -
I recall in the last federal furlough (I can't remember whether it was the government shutdown of 1994 or some other time) there were many government workers who were given time off without pay in order to meet a budget cut. Then, when Congress finally passed whatever bill they had to pass to get out of the crisis, the bill restored all the missed pay to all the workers. That was real effective, wasn't it? The workers took time off, but were given pay for the missed work after the fact. Taxpayers cannot get a break.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/05/13 - 09:17 am
itsanotherday1

Thank You for stuffing what was trully needed into #2's pipe.....

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/05/13 - 09:18 am
Soldiers and busses

Had you really rather the soldiers try to drive a POV back to post after a night on the town? Please don't let your personal feelings about alcohol put the rest of our lives in danger. As far as the brass is concerned, my bet is they are in favor of anything that will keep soldiers safer and out of trouble with local law enforcement.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/05/13 - 09:19 am
countyman

I have to admit, you are one dedicated individual when it come to Augusta.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/05/13 - 09:21 am
Calm down news media

What about...you say

About the 87 year ole woman in the nursing home...thay have made a mountain out of that...dang...the woman even had a do not resuscitate order..the family is ok with with the outcome...they didn't expect her to linger on....if you want to get your feathers ruffled...by golly get ruffled over the 36 year ole man in the hole...he didn't have a don't look for me order on him...
If I'm ever sucked up like that for goodness sake at least send a monitor down the hole to see if you can find me....or send some of the posters down there to check....dang right ....they would inspect everything...lol

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/05/13 - 09:27 am
Good Morning Awguster

And especially CG, SB4, RM, and I think I will add Humble Angela to my list.

And please, protagonists and antagonists alike, keep Sarge in your prayers.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/05/13 - 09:22 am
And a very special hello to....

TROUBLE, who is fixing me breakfast right now. She is too good to me.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/05/13 - 09:23 am
#3

Now just who is the Moral Coward that is allowing illegal criminal immigrants to be release from our prisons??

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/05/13 - 09:23 am
I agree 100% Riverman,

I agree 100% Riverman, totally absurd that the president and Democrats won't consent to having the flexibility to make directed cuts. Rand Paul showed in an interview where the money could come from without materially affecting jobs.

The best analogy I've heard so far was someone who said, paraphrased:
Suppose your boss tells you he will have to cut your pay by 2.5%; will you miss a house payment? Will you have to sell your car? Will you go without medicine or food? The answer is no, no, and no. You might have to eliminate cable TV or eat out less, but it is not going to put 99.9% of the people in the poorhouse.

The answer is very, very simple. The president and Dems want a political victory; they want Americans to feel some pain and blame Republicans for it.

I sure hope honest journalists like Bob Woodward keep telling the truth.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/05/13 - 09:25 am
SeenIt said, "he didn't have

SeenIt said, "he didn't have a don't look for me order on him..."

Now that's a fact. Why did they give up on him so soon? All I heard was that it was dangerous. Well we know that, but sometimes a little danger is necessary to save a life.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/05/13 - 09:26 am
I never thought

That I would get sick of seeing Rockwood & Starbucks printed ...but I am now....THEY are work places for crying out loud.....good to have but we don't need to read about them EVERYDAY....
You would think they are entertainment centers of some sort...

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/05/13 - 09:26 am
Ice making system at the JB Arena

How old is the ice making system at the JB Arena? It apparently has to be totally replaced. How much will it cost?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/05/13 - 09:29 am
RK

Thanks for Jim (Sarge). He sure wasn't in the best of shape yesterday. Nobody should ever go through what he has been through in the last 3 years.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/05/13 - 09:37 am
President Jeb Bush

He is making a lot of sense...saying the right things....right ideas on illegals....don't make citizens to vote....just have cards to work here...only the legal in line waiting to be a citizen would get the chance...makes sense to me..
He probably will win if he runs....also says the Reps need to change their AGAINST EVERYTHING policy.....open up some.....there are some things that need to be UNSPOKEN ....like "real rape quotes"...jmo

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/05/13 - 09:39 am
Not So Fast

Regarding the ice floor at the Civic Center — maybe the Colisseum authority should slow down and make a thoughtful decision after gathering more facts. If the team is struggling financially, it might be a good idea to hold off on buying a whole new icemaking machine.

The ice rink out on Augusta West Parkway might be the best approach for the foreseeable future. The die-hard fans might like the smaller size of the bleachers. If you've got just a hundred or so fans rattling around in a 15,000-seat arena, it's a might depressing.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/05/13 - 09:41 am
WHO

Who sends in the rants about the raise....hehehh

Why is Obama still running for President...didn't he win the thing....just stay in Washington & do the job..or try to at least.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/05/13 - 09:44 am
Appling resl estate

My daughter just told me that real estate in Appling has gone sky high....that land is bringing big money....dang dang...I guess ole CGee will sell his for millions now.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/05/13 - 09:48 am
At least Roundtree asked for

At least Roundtree and the others asked for a raise. Kendrick just took one that nobody admits giving him.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/05/13 - 10:08 am
Seenit ssshhhh

Don't let the entitlement crowd know that a man who started with very little and through hard, honest work made something of himself. Something I wish others would try.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/05/13 - 10:43 am
Great Headlines in AJC

School Board members removals by Gov OK'D

Thank you Gov.....A federal Judge refused to prevent the replacement of 6 DeKalb Board members...now put some good common sense folks in there please & go on with the education of the children....too bad the Gov didn't remove a problem in Augusta....