Rants & Raves

RANT TO COLUMBIA COUNTY Animal Control. Is there a leash law in Co­lumbia County or not? For years we have put up with the animals of uncaring owners, and for years we have followed the guidelines established by calling animal control, only to hear “lip service.” I am fearful for my grandchildren’s safety with these dogs roaming the streets in my neighborhood. If you are the owner of these animals and are reading this rant, take note! My animal control solution is more permanent than Columbia County Animal Control’s wimpish efforts.

WHEN THE SOUTH GETS hit with storms, the national news media is hardly aware. But when the Northeast gets creamed, the media goes into overdrive.

A MAJOR RANT to the guy that won $500,000 on the south side several months ago. Did you forget that you volunteered to come back and tip the sales clerk? Last time I spoke with her, she said she had not seen you again. How quickly people forget their promises.

COLOSSAL RAVES for the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus. They had jugglers, clowns, flip-flopping acrobats and a strong man (just like our national government.) They also had an international dog-and-pony show (with camels) just like our foreign policy, except that there was no loss of life during the performance.

I HELD AN estate sale this weekend and wanted to thank those who came and paid for my mother’s property. To those who left with things they did not purchase, if you can live with it, I can live without it!

MAKES ME SICK to see the headline: “Commis­sion to discuss raises.” The firemen and policemen of the Augusta-Richmond County departments haven’t seen any type of pay increase in years, not even a “cost of living increase.” The new “boss” should worry about his employees.

RAVES TO CHRONICLE sports staff for the coverage of the Riverhawks. The exposure is welcome and needed for our local pro teams.

SO, AFTER BEING in office a little over a month, the sheriff thinks he deserves a raise? I find it interesting that there is no mention of raises for the men and women whose lives are always in jeopardy with each call they make.

RANT TO OBAMA’S hidden agenda. We all have been lied to by the Obama administration at one point or another.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/03/13 - 09:01 pm
Lied to at one point or another

by the Obama administration? You give them to much credit; it is almost daily. He makes Bill Clinton look like George Washington.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/03/13 - 08:59 pm
Animal control?

I love my pets to the point of stupid, but if people let their potentially dangerous dogs roam; I have no issue with a property owner eliminating them if they are on their property.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 03/03/13 - 09:53 pm
Pack of wild attack dogs

... wandering the streets? No biggie. Unless you try to get rid of them with a BB gun, you villian!

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 03/04/13 - 02:52 am
Lottery ranter- you wouldn't

Lottery ranter- you wouldn't see me again either. Personally, I don't like it when a clerk thinks that they are entitled to a tip from my lottery winnings. I didn't see them chip in half when I was buying them.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/04/13 - 11:05 am
Evidently our word doesn't

Evidently our word doesn't mean anything to some cause it seems the winner volunteered to come back and tip the clerk. I'm not comfortable with someone seeking tips, volunteered or not, but I was raised that your word was your honor. No where does it state an amount was stated for the "volunteered tip" so drop her a ten and move on.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/04/13 - 08:27 am
Good Morning Awguster

Lottery... I agree that any person should live up to any promises made. But it also sounds like another case of "spread the wealth".

Storm Coverage... I won't mention hurricanes with coverage starting 10 days out and runs 24/7 for 2 weeks after it's over.

Sheriff's Raise... Shouldn't he have proven he was worthy of a raise first?

Obama... Has the most transparent administration in history. That was the first and he hasn't stopped yet.

Now y'all have a nice day, even if it is Monday

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/04/13 - 08:56 am
China is over building

Last night I saw a disturbing program.....China has over built business&apartment towers....no joke....many towns are empty ghosts.....they say there could be a bubble burst soon....& many thousands could lose their savings ---lifetime savings of many generations.....my question is....when it hits the fan in china....how much will we feel the pain right here..cause you know we will....

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/04/13 - 09:01 am
Rant #6

Here is a story about sheriff deputy pay raises. It may seem like a long time ago, but remember we had an economic crash in 2008 and many people in the private sector took serious pay cuts or lost their job entirely.

Department Pay Raises

harley_52
harley_52 03/04/13 - 09:19 am
Why Does Homeland Security...

....need 2700 tanks and 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition?

With whom are they going to war?

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/04/13 - 09:47 am
Harley, scary looking

Harley, scary looking vehicles to have patrolling American cities. I guess it was either that or black sedans picking up people at night for transport to the Gulag.

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/04/13 - 09:59 am
"SO, AFTER BEING in office a

"SO, AFTER BEING in office a little over a month, the sheriff thinks he deserves a raise?"

And with that move the black commissioners have put us into a full blown "salary crisis" with ALL of the elected officials going for the gold. We should put ALL of them out of office next election and start ALL of the newbies at minimum salary. This is further proof that the black commissioners do not have the ability to see beyond their racists actions. If we had elected a white sheriff there would not have been any pay raise and NONE of these already overpaid public officials would be trying to feather their nests on the backs of the the taxpayers. Thanks a lot black commissioners. Because of you we will be paying government officials who are already getting twice what they are worth ANOTHER 15% out of our already empty pockets.

I'm waiting with baited breath for you to fix our ILLEGAL property tax system so that YOUR constituents can pay for their share of your bad decisions. But I see THAT issue is not very high on your priority list. You threatened to bring the government to a halt over the Roundtree raise. I wish the taxpayers could bring the government to a halt over illegal taxation, the disparity in the level of services, and your continued stupid actions like the Roundtree raise and the golf course.

And say hello the Marion Williams. Ask him if how all that money we gave him for his church is holding out. Is that why he came back? Did he need another shot at taxpayer gold? I can't believe he's got the nerve to talk about someone else's ethics. If you believe Marion Williams has any credibility I've got a drag strip in South Augusta I want to sell you. It comes with concession rights for one of your family members.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/04/13 - 10:00 am
Speaking of Augusta Government

The governor of Michigan is attempting to take over the city of Detroit government. He says he's tired of the inept way they run the city. I wonder if Gov. Deal could be persuaded to....

Itsallnew11
Itsallnew11 03/04/13 - 10:25 am
Re: Puppymomma

If they promised the clerk they would come back and tip her if they won then that is what they should do. She probably wouldn't feel entitled if the promise wasn't made to her to begin with. If you say you are going to do something then that is what you should do!

junkyardpig
junkyardpig 03/04/13 - 10:26 am
pitch black

welfare abuse, food stamp abuse, aggravated crimes, un heard of raises, goodby augusta, you were once a nice place to live.

kmb413
kmb413 03/04/13 - 10:46 am
How many times do people say

How many times do people say they will tip if they win, never expecting to win? How much of a tip does she expect? 10%, 15%?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/04/13 - 10:52 am
Lottery

I was under the impression that the state lottery commission pays bonuses to the business owners of stores that sell winning lottery tickets. Perhaps the business owner could share a bit of his bonus with his sales clerk.

zeenab4u
zeenab4u 03/04/13 - 10:57 am
Ranter 5

They steal because they can live with it.
For many years I thought if they need it bad enough to steal it then let it go
Lately I think Dirty, Rotten Scoundrels - get a job and pay for things like I do

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/04/13 - 11:14 am
zeena

Dirty rotten scoundrels....lol..I like it when you talk dirty like that :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/04/13 - 11:15 am
Front page AJC

Hybrid street gangs are a growing threat say the police.......

well no joke sherlock.....

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 03/04/13 - 11:22 am
Tip, just about every

Tip, just about every convenience store clerk has a tip jar these days. Especially around Christmas!! And if you buy a lottery ticket they usually call out about a tip, most are sounding like they believe they are entitled to it. Don't be so quick to castigate the winner!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/04/13 - 11:27 am
Push push push

Don't yall see I'm pushing 30,000...come on now....push me over..:)

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/04/13 - 11:56 am
DHS bullets

Here is the logic of the bullet buy: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/14/why-is-department-homeland-se...

The tank story is brand new, so will be interested to see what explanation they have for that.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/04/13 - 12:01 pm
kmb413

I've made that comment and would stand by it. If I hit $50M, I would not mind a bit slipping the clerk a couple of thousand; certainly not 10% though.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 03/04/13 - 12:23 pm
@ itsanotherday1

I have seen all of the conspiracy theories about the ammunition purchases. Do you know whether the purchases are in line with past government ammunition purchases? I have searched, but I can't find anything credible - or anything at all for that matter.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/04/13 - 12:54 pm
Civilian vs Military Ammo

A few weeks ago Humble Angela posted a link giving the times that various calibers of ammo were developed for civilian arms and then adopted by the military. I wish I could find that link for some of you again. Maybe you should be asking why the military is using civilian ammo.

Example that most everyone THINKS they are familiar with... .223 civilian round is the same as the 5.56 military round. The .223 was on the market BEFORE the military started testing/experimenting with the first M-16. Please look this up for yourself before you accuse me of giving false information.

I used to think ignorance could be fixed, but apparently I was wrong.

**note to Sean, it's a c&p but it fits both threads. Just a slap on the wrist, OK?**

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/04/13 - 12:55 pm
No Sean, like you; I've tried

No Sean, like you; I've tried to sort it all out, but there is a shortage of info.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 03/04/13 - 01:22 pm
ICL, I like the drop her a

ICL, I like the drop her a ten comment. I understand that people should follow through with their promises but he was probably real excited at that moment. Then reality set in, after taxes he has enough to pay off existing debt, house note , cars,etc. and have an emergency fund. I think the tax rate is 31 or 33 percent. I would love to win that much. If I won millions, I'd be in West Palm Beach hanging out with my "new friends". LL- I think the lottery did away with the bonuses for store owners if they sell winning tickets-at least on the scratch offs. I think it still holds for Powerball, Mega Millions.

countyman
20120
countyman 03/04/13 - 01:26 pm
Dichotomy

The developer of the music venue in South Augusta seems to have the initial funding and sponsors.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 03/04/13 - 01:57 pm
Hit and Run

I am thankful my husband makes lots of money, I am thankful that he can still cut and split wood - cause it's mighty cold out here in the county of the CSRA! Can't wait for spring.

Scots reject independence in historic vote

EDINBURGH, Scotland — Scottish voters have rejected independence, deciding to remain part of the United Kingdom after a historic referendum that shook the country to its core.