Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I DON’T KNOW OF any job where people can run for it, get it, then claim they need more money. And Marion Williams says Sheriff Roundtree and Kellie McIntyre can sue if they don’t get their raises? Cite the law.

RANT FOR THE sheriff and solicitor. You haven’t even been in office long enough for a job performance review yet. If you didn’t like the salary, why did you run for office? Shame on all you greedy fools!

THE PRINCIPAL OF Butler High should be fired for allowing the lady to come into his school and then commit fraud against his students.

RANT TO THE LITTLE Girl Scout that came to my door over a month ago. Hey, where are my three boxes of cookies that I paid you for?

IT LOOKS TO ME LIKE Butler High students were conned by Erica Jones and her DRBJ Legacy Foundation organization. They are lucky they were not left stranded someplace. It’s not fair on the kids.

IT’S TIME FOR Sylvia Cooper to retire again. She seems to have lost her mojo and her column just is not as interesting as it used to be.

I HAVE A RANT FOR employers in Augusta. I have two children in college, one of whom has to be in school four days a week all day. These employers don’t care that they are going to school to make a better life for themselves and working to pay their bills. Give tthem a break and don’t schedule mandatory meetings during the weekday and threaten them if they can’t be there. Do it at night or on the weekends.

YAY TO THE CLOSURE of KFCs! Less totally unhealthy foods around to tempt people. Make sure to sub in only more healthy food businesses into those areas.

RANT FOR THE Ham­mond’s Ferry residents using scare tactics to stop the GreenJackets from building a stadium in North Augusta. You are the reason businesses don’t come to North Augusta, not the leadership of the city.

Jake
Jake 02/28/13 - 10:06 am
Love Wife Saver

Where is the new one in Evans located? When in town I have to get my gizzard fix as no chicken outlets out here serve them.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/28/13 - 10:08 am
I loved KFC chicken. A bucket

I love KFC chicken. A bucket of that stuff and a football game on TV makes for a happy crowd. They always seemed to have lots of customers. On the other hand, I never see anyone in Arby's. I wonder how they make it?

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/28/13 - 10:09 am
"I DON’T KNOW OF any job

"I DON’T KNOW OF any job where people can run for it, get it, then claim they need more money."

I don't know of any other group of commissioners that would have been stupid enough to give them more money their first 6 weeks in office. If they had been white OUR group of commissioners would not have given it to them.

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/28/13 - 10:11 am
"THE PRINCIPAL OF Butler High

"THE PRINCIPAL OF Butler High should be fired "

But we all know that won't happen.....and why.

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/28/13 - 10:15 am
"Make sure to sub in only

"Make sure to sub in only more healthy food businesses into those areas."

Oh yeh, open up 4 or 5 tofu and been sprout fast food joints and see how many jobs that creates.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/28/13 - 10:32 am
Why do I have this feeling

If we can have laws on cigs---guns--big size drinks--seat belts---cell phones--paper--plastic

Will we have laws on food shopping soon...someone at the door to check our purchases....a tax on some items....maybe have to go to calorie school...like dui school.....

A real light bulb could get you time in jail...:(

KSL
KSL 02/28/13 - 10:35 am
Dichotomy

Too funny!

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/28/13 - 10:37 am
Jake

It's not that new, but the one I referred to is on Fury's Ferry Rd. BTW, have you driven through the new tunnels on the Pacific Coast Highway yet?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/28/13 - 10:37 am
Yep seenit

We are the proverbial frogs getting boiled, one degree at the time. The most the gov needs to do is provide people with information, and assure whatever foods we buy meet standards for cleanliness, etc.

What one chooses to kill themselves with after that is their business.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/28/13 - 10:47 am
I wager that if there was 1

I wager that if there was 1 tofu and bean sprout joint around Col Co it would survive. There is a slow trend towards eating less meat, and generally healthier alternatives. Us older folks are probably too accustomed to southern fried cooking, but some of the younger crowd are hip (is that a current word, lol?) to vegan and vegetarian diets.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/28/13 - 10:48 am
Really it is anotherday

Some folks love to play with snakes....some ride bikes on cliffs (heh) some drink too much....some spend too much time posting & sitting....& nevermind...I have to call my cpa now & talk with him....make the appt for tax giving time....
DANG DANG..I wish we had a flat tax...some never go through this misery..

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/28/13 - 10:55 am
Flat or VAT

Nothing will control the financial appetite of Washington and the social parasites in this country; but a VAT in place of FIT would suit me just fine. You spend it, you pay it. If you are frugal, you pay less.

(Guilty of all of the above except riding bikes on cliffs, LOL)

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/28/13 - 11:28 am
"What Does it Matter Now?"

The Democrats seem to have this line of “What does it matter now?” down pat. Bob Woodward is exposing the Obama administration for coming up with the sequester idea. Their response is to curse him out for 30 minutes on the phone and THEN email him saying he’ll be sorry if he continues. Now their line concerning the sequester is “What does it matter now?” So much like Hillary’s response concerning Benghazi. Then they let the illegals out of jail saying they won’t have enough money to keep them.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/28/13 - 11:35 am
About Fat in Diet

IAD, I personally believe there is much literature proving it's not the fat in the diet causing most of the problems, but it is the high gylcemic carbohydrates. The American diet has always had meat and fat. What changed around 1955? We became inundated with sugar, later high fructose corn syrup, chips, white bread, crackers, sodas and candy at grocery stores. Americans began to gain weight like never before. I encourage you to investigate high fat, low carb diets. But the bigger point is it's possible your assertion eating lower fat is the right way to eat and KFC is bad may not be accurate.

Jake
Jake 02/28/13 - 01:06 pm
@justthefacts

Thanks for the Wife Saver info. The one in Evans seemed to be going a bit downhill last time I was there.
No, I haven't been through them yet as I rarely get on that highway unless we have out of town guests over. It is a lovely stretch of road that will take you through Half Moon Bay and Princeton-by-the-Sea. I should make that run again before they have to close the tunnels for repairs because of some seismic event.

Jake
Jake 02/28/13 - 01:30 pm
Diets

Unless you have a certain medical condition which prohibits what you consume then there shouldn't be any reason to not eat whatever you like. The key is moderation. Fried foods taste very good but you don't have to eat them every day.

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/28/13 - 01:36 pm
Half Moon Bay

Beautiful golf course there at the Ritz. When they open the tunnels and close that stretch of the Pacific Coast Highway, you will lose a gorgeous view. Better hurry.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 02/28/13 - 03:37 pm
The argument about flat tax

... replacing the income taxes is moot. It's NOT a problem of collections. It's about spending what they don't have to keep power. Even if the flat tax were enacted tomorrow, there would still never be enough money to pay off our multigenerational entitlement class- the goverrnment would still have to borrow to reward the least productive members of our society for their indolence and dependency.

harley_52
harley_52 02/28/13 - 04:04 pm
"....there is much literature proving....

....there is much literature proving it's not the fat in the diet causing most of the problems, but it is the high gylcemic carbohydrates."

That's my view of it. If you avoid eating anything white, you'll be fine.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/28/13 - 04:50 pm
Wives Being Attacked

So we are to attack the wives of public officials using profane statements said in many ways that they are bat, fill in the blank, crazy because they say something we don’t agree with? So if the same attacking person’s wife actually does commercials that many think are pretty dumb, she could also be laughed at on a visceral level? Are we going this far? Without mentioning names like HE DID, that had to have been the worst commercial, poorly spoken, I’ve ever heard. She would be better off being Sy’s wife on Duck Dynasty. Where is JB Powell when you need him?

rebellious
21904
rebellious 02/28/13 - 05:09 pm
Outta Control

Yea, when you pull his string, he rants until the ring hits the back of the neck. It is an elite group can do it. Let's see.....For sure JB Powell, Charles Walker, Champ as well, that yahoo from the radio station in Carolina, Robin Williams and whazhername, the lady politician that went to jail. Karen Slater McDaniel and, Oh, I think an up and comer......(wait for it)......Riverman!!!!!!

You have arrived. Your destination is ahead on the left!

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/28/13 - 05:23 pm
Right...ha.

Right...ha.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/28/13 - 05:25 pm
Riverman

Don't you feel special.....hahah

You & KSM are his favorites...:)

Don't usually listen to him.....don't miss it either..

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/28/13 - 05:27 pm
He doesn't talk about JB

He doesn't talk about JB Powell anymore. Wonder why?

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 02/28/13 - 05:27 pm
I think it's time to put that

I think it's time to put that one to bed, too. I can't even have it on for background noise when I drive home from work anymore.

happychimer
19538
happychimer 02/28/13 - 05:32 pm
The salt content in food is

The salt content in food is very high. Ihad to cut my salt intake a few years ago, and now I like most of my vegetables with no salt at all.Restaurants should put less salt or 0 salt in food, and let the customer add what salt they want. They have salt shakers on tables anyway.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/28/13 - 05:32 pm
"Robin Williams and

"Robin Williams and whazhername, the lady politician that went to jail"

Actually, he took up for those two.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 02/28/13 - 05:34 pm
Linda Schrenko

Linda Schrenko

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/28/13 - 05:38 pm
Palmetto, yes, and Sue

Palmetto, yes, and Sue Burmeister, too.

palmetto1008