News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I CANNOT BELIEVE THE higher-ups of Butler High School permitted someone, unchecked, to “sell” the students on something so stupid.

NOW OUR PRESIDENT wants children in pre-K, and the taxpayers will pay for what is in effect baby-sitting.

CHRISTOPHER DORNER. Gone and forgotten.

WHOEVER SAYS THAT you have a better chance of being hit by lightning than winning the lottery has never been hit by lightning.

A RANT ABOUT SHERIFF Roundtree, requesting a huge raise: He needs to be on the job and actually accomplish some of his goals, showing improvements, before being considered for a raise.

PRESIDENT OBAMA’S State of the Union address promised that none of it would add a dime to the deficit. That’s amazing; tell us again, Mr. President, how?

I WONDER IF SHERIFF Roundtree let his supporters know he was going to immediately ask for a raise after being elected? It would better serve him to ask for raises for all of the officers he is in charge of.

I WANT TO KNOW why Sheriff Roundtree thinks he deserves such a large raise when he has been in office since only Jan. 1?

THANK YOU TO THE Richmond County Sheriff’s Office for stepping up and making our roads safer.

WHAT’S HAPPENING? Pope resigns, an asteroid just misses us and a meteor struck Russia. Is it time to curl up and kiss the world goodbye?

I RECENTLY TRIED to sell an item on Craigslist and I couldn’t believe all of the scammers that responded.

I CAN’T BELIEVE THAT Roundtree thinks he deserves a raise when the employees that really are working can’t get a $750 raise. What an ego.

UH-OH! THE LOOMING sequester would affect the congressional pay raise! How will our wonderful representatives get by?

I’M SORRY FOR THE Butler High students who were ripped off because they believed far-fetched promises, even though they knew they were far-fetched but because they were caught up in the excitement of the inauguration.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/27/13 - 02:27 pm
Robert Gibbs: "Who cares?"

Some days when I'm not busy I watch MSNBC to keep up with the other side. Andrea Mitchell asked former Presidential Press Secretary, Robert Gibbs, about the looming sequestration. She said Republicans had said this was Obama's idea. Gibbs answered with something that reminded me of Hillary's Benghazi reponse. He said, "Who cares how we got here?"

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/27/13 - 02:25 pm
Crosswalk

Countyman, please tell me where there is a legal crosswalk on Washington Road. You must not understand what a crosswalk is. A crosswalk is a designated location where pedestrians are allowed to cross a street in the middle of the block where there is no traffic light, i.e., not at an intersection of cross streets or cross roads.

countyman
19166
countyman 02/27/13 - 02:48 pm
South Augusta

www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/crosswalk

Dichotomy... The location might not be south of Tobacco rd, but it's not the Regency Mall area either(older part of South Augusta).

The press conference is later this afternoon.

I said be patient in terms of South Augusta because it's growing, but the older portions(mostly inside I-520) took a big hit during 2000-2005.

I'm positive Augusta could be move from the 7th best city to live in & 2nd in high tech job growth to first.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/27/13 - 02:51 pm
I'm not saying it's not true,

I'm not saying it's not true, but I checked the CNN, Fortune and Money Magazine what the best cities to live are and didn't see Augusta listed.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/27/13 - 02:53 pm
I believe what Little Lamb is

I believe what Little Lamb is asking about is a "crosswalk" in a road not near a stoplight or an intersection.

GGpap
GGpap 02/27/13 - 06:27 pm
"NOW OUR PRESIDENT wants children in pre-K,

@dichotomy, 9:52

Pre-K is not mandatory, therefore parents have the right to choose whether they wish their children to be "indoctinated" or not. I believe that the only real "indoctrinaton" at the pre-K level would be found in christian pre-K classes.

Unfortunatey, I'd rather believe that pre-K is just another government way to provide working parents with free baby sitters....a welfare service that is justifiable in right-to-work states such as SC where wages are at the bottom of the trash barrel for the working class.

GGpp

GGpap
GGpap 02/27/13 - 03:23 pm
"Remember the 102 year old woman..."

@Riverman1, 12:18 p.m.

As you well know the voting rights act protects a citizens Right to Vote, it does not mandate that any citizen is required to be informed in order to vote.

The latter is fairly obvious when the grand 'ol party decides to vote in lockstep with it's leaders.

But, yes, I'm with you on extending the Right to Vote Act to include all U.S. States (and Territories).

GGpap

countyman
19166
countyman 02/27/13 - 03:33 pm
The 7th best city ranking was

The 7th best city ranking was for 2012, and the city ranked fourth in terms of best cities in 2013.

Let's hope the new Music Park coming to South Augusta very soon. I'm anxious to hear the announcements at the press conference.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/27/13 - 04:03 pm
countyman, I know you are

countyman, I know you are excited about the new "Music Park" but don't count your chickens before they hatch. This area has rumored so many things and nothing has come to light. It's still a vacant piece of property and nothing has been built there in 25 years. What happened to the church that bought the property and supposibly were going to build there?

countyman
19166
countyman 02/27/13 - 04:11 pm
South Augusta get ready

Rumors and press conferences are two different things.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/27/13 - 04:20 pm
Press Conference

Yeah, and at a Jay Carney press conference you will hear plenty of rumors.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 02/27/13 - 06:07 pm
For all the Duck fans

... I don't know how many have seen this, but the title is self explanatory:

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 02/27/13 - 06:13 pm
Yeah, that'll work

... I'm sooo sure the people who are jaywalking now will walk a block, go up X number of floors, walk across and then back down X number of floors again.

Much easier than jaywalking.

Anyone have a number on how much the skywalk (with special walk lanes for the commissioners paved with the ground up bones of endangered species) would actually end up costing, versus, what, two gallons of paint for a crosswalk?

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/27/13 - 06:50 pm
stewart

I give the Ducks credit...they lived their life as they wanted...hunting was what made him happy & still does....
Thanks for putting that link on....interesting group of men & much smarter than most people think they are...

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/27/13 - 06:55 pm
Boot camp for kids

I just thought of something....the best boot camp some kids could get would be to spend the summer with the Duck Dynasty guys.....they would make men out of punks...teach them to hunt for food.....shape them in ways they would never forget.....too bad we can't get some punks in a 3 month Duck Camp.

happychimer
happychimer 02/27/13 - 07:29 pm
So the 102 yr old woman

So the 102 yr old woman should not be allowed to vote? That is so rude! She has the same right to vote as anyone else does.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/27/13 - 09:29 pm
102 Year Old

Let's be honest about the 102 year old woman voting. I love the elderly lady because she is 102 and will gladly honor her. But voting is another question. If she is mentally competent, YES, she should positively be allowed to vote. If she is not mentally competent and doesn't know Obama from George Washington, she shouldn't be allowed to vote. That's one reason literacy tests had a valid premise. The lady in question didn't appear to be with it that much. I could be wrong, but I'll bet someone told her who to vote for and actually voted for her.

Elderly people have different requirements when getting a driver's license. In Georgia age 65 and above requires renewal every 5 years. In SC 60 and above. The reason is to keep incompetent drivers off the road. I say incompetent voters should be kept out of the polls.

harley_52
harley_52 02/27/13 - 08:33 pm
harley_52
harley_52 02/27/13 - 08:50 pm
In My Opinion...

Everybody should be required to prove their citizenship and pass a test before they are allowed to register to vote.

Voting should require a picture ID.

happychimer
happychimer 02/27/13 - 08:48 pm
People use to be tested to

People use to be tested to vote, and that was a way to keep certain people from voting. That 102 yr old woman waited how many hrs? It was 4 or 6 hrs! If she can wait that long in line to vote, how dare anyone deny her the right to vote!

harley_52
harley_52 02/27/13 - 08:53 pm
"People use to be tested to vote, and that was a way....

....to keep certain people from voting."

Exactly the point. Ignorant people should not be voting.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/27/13 - 08:54 pm
The elderly lady could not be

The elderly lady could not be any less informed than a large segment of the electorate. Watch any "man on the street" clips where random people (all colors and ages) are asked pertinent questions about political positions and/or current events.

Pathetic.

happychimer
happychimer 02/27/13 - 08:57 pm
When I registered to vote I

When I registered to vote I had to show my birth certificate.When I got my 1st drivers license I had to show my birth certificate. So why make me prove I am a citizen everytime I vote. My birth certificate is not going to change.

harley_52
harley_52 02/27/13 - 09:18 pm
" So why make me prove I am a citizen everytime I vote"

Nobody suggested that. Prove it once (when you register) then prove who you are when you vote.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 02/27/13 - 09:29 pm
"When I registered to vote

... I had to show my birth certificate... "

Really? I find that hard to believe. I didn't. When and where was that? I've seen voters registered at supermarket parking lots with nothing but a library card. All part of the Democrat's motor-voter laws, where one can drive-by register, and order fries with that... in Spanish.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/27/13 - 09:28 pm
Harley caught my typo. It

Harley caught my typo. It should have said:

I say incompetent voters should be kept out of the polls.

happychimer
happychimer 02/27/13 - 09:32 pm
I registered to vote in

I registered to vote in Augusta GA. I have seen people register to vote and just show drivers license. I had to show my birth certificate when I got my 1st license. If someone shows their license and registers to vote, that license should be proof enough of citizenship.Sure I am a democrat. So what! That has not one thing to do with my right to vote.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/27/13 - 09:33 pm

a birth certificate is definitely a beyond a reasonable doubt the way you can prove who you are and that you are a citizen. Ask The Hammer & Sickle Man.

happychimer
happychimer 02/27/13 - 09:34 pm
and I have no problem showing

and I have no problem showing my license or US passport when voting.

happychimer
happychimer 02/27/13 - 09:41 pm
River who should determine

River who should determine who is incompetent? I don't see that happening. If anyone tried to take away my right to vote, I would throw such a hissy fit that nobody would dare try again to stop me from voting.

New report on Thomson plane crash

The National Transportation Safety Board released a new report Wednesday with details surrounding a Thomson, Ga., plane crash in February 2013 that killed five members of The Vein Guys staff.