Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I CANNOT BELIEVE THE higher-ups of Butler High School permitted someone, unchecked, to “sell” the students on something so stupid.

CHRISTOPHER DORNER. Gone and forgotten.

WHOEVER SAYS THAT you have a better chance of being hit by lightning than winning the lottery has never been hit by lightning.

A RANT ABOUT SHERIFF Roundtree, requesting a huge raise: He needs to be on the job and actually accomplish some of his goals, showing improvements, before being considered for a raise.

PRESIDENT OBAMA’S State of the Union address promised that none of it would add a dime to the deficit. That’s amazing; tell us again, Mr. President, how?

I WONDER IF SHERIFF Roundtree let his supporters know he was going to immediately ask for a raise after being elected? It would better serve him to ask for raises for all of the officers he is in charge of.

I WANT TO KNOW why Sheriff Roundtree thinks he deserves such a large raise when he has been in office since only Jan. 1?

THANK YOU TO THE Richmond County Sheriff’s Office for stepping up and making our roads safer.

WHAT’S HAPPENING? Pope resigns, an asteroid just misses us and a meteor struck Russia. Is it time to curl up and kiss the world goodbye?

I RECENTLY TRIED to sell an item on Craigslist and I couldn’t believe all of the scammers that responded.

I CAN’T BELIEVE THAT Roundtree thinks he deserves a raise when the employees that really are working can’t get a $750 raise. What an ego.

UH-OH! THE LOOMING sequester would affect the congressional pay raise! How will our wonderful representatives get by?

I’M SORRY FOR THE Butler High students who were ripped off because they believed far-fetched promises, even though they knew they were far-fetched but because they were caught up in the excitement of the inauguration.

Jake
Jake 02/26/13 - 10:18 pm
Pope, asteroids & meteors

What do they all have in common in relation to our planet? Lets see..... infallibility, improbability and impactibility.

Jake
Jake 02/26/13 - 10:36 pm
State of the Onion

An onion will make you cry when peeled, not much different than the tired, old speeches we get every year from the current puppet in charge.

Jane18
Jane18 02/27/13 - 04:11 am
Hey!

Tonight, seenit, don't forget! I saw the guys on Jimmy Kimmel......It was good to see how the LA people received them. Some guy named Morrissey wouldn't come on the show because he said our "Duck" men were serial animal killers. I guess he thought they just went around shooting at anything that moved and then left it. Of course the guy is a "vegan"...that kind of explains it, doesn't it? Enjoy, and be happy, happy, happy!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/27/13 - 07:46 am
Philosopher

Hey, you’re in a philosophical groove today, Jake. Thumbs up!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/27/13 - 08:27 am
Crossing Reynolds

Yesterday evening on Channel 6 News, George Eskola reported on conventiongoers’ jaywalking as they crossed Reynolds St. from the new parking deck to enjoy their convention in the new TEE. I don’t think he mentioned the name of the convention, but he caught a bunch of jaywalkers on camera.

Here's a link to WJBF’s story:

Jaywalking

The newscast said that the Augusta commission authorized a crosswalk, but it has not yet been installed. I guess I must have missed that story, as I did not know a crosswalk was coming. I guess it was inevitable, since it's such a long way between traffic lights on Reynolds St. I'll bet motorists will be miffed when the crosswalk is installed and there will be another requirement to stop on Reynolds St.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/27/13 - 08:48 am
LL, what I found humorous was

LL, what I found humorous was apparently the crosswalk was approved last month. How hard is it to paint lines on the street?

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/27/13 - 09:18 am
jane

I missed the Ducks last night...sometimes real life interferes with my Duck life...:(
I did see that SOMEONE didn't want to be on the same program with the Ducks...because....get this....they kill animals for food.....just like you said..they were vegans..but imagine a meat eater saying they wouldn't be on a program with a vegan....ooohhh the backlash....horrors of horrors.....

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/27/13 - 09:22 am
Crosswalks crumbling

I saw a news program yesterday with pics of huge chunks of a high crosswalk crumbling into the road beneath....just thinking....they are worried of jaywalking deaths...Atlanta could have concrete falling on cars ---walkers at any moment....
When is a person responsible for walking safely.......now the falling chunks wouldn't be their problem...nooo the chunks would mean a hefty lawsuit!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/27/13 - 09:25 am
Back during caveman days

I just wonder what a vegan did back then...lol....especially in the cold winter....very few crops then.....either eat meat or starve....

I think I know now what is wrong with our country...NOT ENOUGH protein........they are living on greens.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/27/13 - 09:29 am
Roundtree

How many rants will we have each day about him.....what is the agenda here......just thinking if SP had been elected...what would we see on here....hahah

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/27/13 - 09:33 am
Tell me something

What am I missing here.....when I read about children (students) hitting--shoving teachers......guns in school----free sex on bus--on & on....what happened....are they in control now....what are we paying for ......does the BOE work anymore???

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/27/13 - 09:40 am
About the lost ring

Yikes...I found a packet of money outside the bank....ooohh boy....now if someone can describe this & give me each serial # I will consider returning it....
nnnnaahh...just kidding.....don't come knocking at my door......I have returned credit cards & atm cards left at atm machines though.....& I have left a teen at a mall before.......just forgot she was with me......yes I went back & picked her up...hahah

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/27/13 - 09:43 am
Alternative School

The reason for the bad behavior in the RC schools, SeenIt, is because the word is out — Tubman Alternative School is a better school than Murphey Middle, Spirit Creek Middle, Laney High, Josey High, Collins K-8, and a host of other schools in the system. At Tubman you get better teacher to student ratios, better equipment, a nicer environment, more structure, more attention, and your grades improve.

They're fighting in order to get into a better school. It's a form of freedom of choice.

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/27/13 - 09:52 am
"NOW OUR PRESIDENT wants

"NOW OUR PRESIDENT wants children in pre-K, and the taxpayers will pay for what is in effect baby-sitting."

We must separate the children from their parents at the earliest possible age in order for the indoctrination to begin. We cannot have children exposed to parents who may attempt to discipline them and teach them respect and responsibility. They will be much better off in our failed school systems.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/27/13 - 09:52 am
Gov Deal

The good Guv has dropped some board members from the BOE in DeKalb county.....when I read the articles from many papers not just Augusta.....weell.....I think he needs to clean house in half the Ga counties...

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/27/13 - 09:59 am
If everyone followed Joe Biden's advice

If everyone followed Joe Biden's advice about what to do if you think bad guys are around your house we would have guns going off everywhere. Can you imagine if someone fired a shotgun twice anytime they heard something? Why do I get the feeling Democrats don't quite get THINGS?

Dudeness
Dudeness 02/27/13 - 09:58 am
I heard that Christopher

I heard that Christopher Dorner finally quit smoking.

Dudeness
Dudeness 02/27/13 - 10:01 am
Apparently I now have

Apparently I now have permission from The Administration to step out on my front porch and fire my gun into the dark multiple times if I hear a bump in the night or an after-club party going on across the street. This is going to be fun.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/27/13 - 10:06 am
The red thumb troll must have

The red thumb troll must have overslept. I will go ahead and give everbody one just to make you feel normal. I will give one to myself, but I need two to feel wanted, would somebody help me out?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/27/13 - 10:13 am
Calling Countyman

I need to give you some due CM. I went downtown last night around 7pm and Broad Street parking spaces were very full. I was impressed with that many people being downtown on a Tuesday night.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/27/13 - 10:16 am
ok anotherday

I gave you a downer...feel the love yet..lol

I have to scratch in other places now...where THEY love me....lol

Where does the day go...geez...after 10am & I haven't done a thing..yall are keeping me from living in the real world......this cyberspace won't pay the bills.....:)

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/27/13 - 10:21 am
Convention

There was a convention of convenience store distributors at the TEE Center, Itsanotherday. That was likely the source of the vehicles near the watering holes last night.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/27/13 - 10:31 am
Well, I guess that supports

Well, I guess that supports CM's contentions about the TEE bringing peripheral business.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/27/13 - 10:37 am
Shifting

I would guess that 95+% of the HFW Distributor convention goers are CSRA residents. Sure, they bought supper and drinks downtown last night, but that just means that they didn't spend that money in West Augusta, Evans, Peach Orchard Road, North Augusta or Aiken. It all evens out in the wash.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/27/13 - 10:57 am
If it takes money downtown,

If it takes money downtown, I'm happy about it. I want so badly to have a Greenville type look and feel to downtown.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/27/13 - 12:11 pm
If the Voting Acts Right

If the Voting Acts Right overseeing Augusta and other states and communities can't be reversed, let's push to extend it to the entire country and see how that works out.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/27/13 - 12:18 pm
Remember the 102 year old

Remember the 102 year old woman Obama brought up who waited in line to vote? Does anyone think she really made an informed vote?

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/27/13 - 12:32 pm
Story Needed About TEE First Two Events

I'd like to see a story on the money the city made in rents, plus what they paid out in utilities, advertising and management fees for the first two events that have used the TEE Center. My goodness, the building of the TEE Center and discussions concerning whether it would make money or not were the biggest local stories of the decade. Now we hear nothing about the hard numbers being generated??? I am sure the city lost money with these two events that had local people. How many rooms were rented to the Marriott, how much was spent downtown and how much was spent in renting the TEE? Okay, 2 down, let's hope the county doesn't go bankrupt with the rest.

countyman
countyman 02/27/13 - 01:06 pm
downtown moving forward

The people attending the HFW covention can easily use the parking deck. I'm positive the additional traffic was related to the recent opening's of Eros Bistro & Farmhaus Burgers on Broad street too.

I saw the video of several people jaywalking across Reynolds street on the news. I do remember commenting how this would happen in the near future. The city should go ahead, and build the skywalk. Many crosswalks exist along Washington rd, and people still jaywalk everyday.