Rants & Raves

MY GIFT ON VALENTINE’S Day was the opportunity to see the 1940s musical revue show In the Mood at the Imperial Theatre. The band, singers and dancers were outstanding. Their salute to the military in the audience was one of the highlights for me. We can‘t thank them enough.

RAVE FOR TIM STRONG on Channel 12. You had a few days off, but we are sure glad you’re back.

I THINK IT IS wonderful that President Obama plans to see about a raise for people. American wages have not increased that much over the years.

I TOTALLY DISAGREE with the editorial on Dr. Benjamin Carson’s speech at the prayer breakfast. I believe it was the right place. I am a Christian, and I believe God would be on his side.

I THINK IT PRETTY SAD when a physical education teacher makes a mockery of a child. Whether a child knows a verb or a noun, that is not for a PE teacher to single him out so the other kids can laugh at him. If the child doesn’t know, why don’t you help him?

WHO IS SHERIFF in Columbia County? You never see Clay Whittle. He has the easiest job in the state of Georgia. You only see him when big stories come out.

A BIG RAVE FOR, Jennifer, a nurse in the ER at MCG. I was having a problem getting home after my release. She checked on me often until I was able to get into a vehicle that would take me home.

RANT FOR HEPHZIBAH High School. I can understand why that young man took a gun to school. We took our daughter out of that school because she was being groped. They did nothing about it, so we finally removed her from that school.

HERE IS MY recommendation for national leadership in 2016: Walter Williams for president; Cal Thomas, Michelle Malkin and Star Parker in other positions. They surely show the direction the country is going and what we need to do to improve it.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/25/13 - 09:42 pm
Mayor's Bully Pulpit

I asked this question over on the Kendrick pay raise thread, but no one is reading that one any more. Here it is again:

Since they discovered that Fred (What, me worry?) Russell did not send the tax commissioner's raise request to the commission for rubber stamping in 2009, the raise was thereby illegal. To correct that, Russell quickly had someone draw up the resolution and made it retroactive to 2009. Such resolutions require the mayor's signature. Mayor Deke Copenhaver dutifully signed it a few days ago.

My question is: Why doesn't Copenhaver stand up for principle? Why doesn't he stand for right? Why doesn't he say, “Enough!” ? ? ? ? Copenhaver could actually lead this commission (with its four new members) in matters of principle if he would take the high road.

They ought to roll back high-salaried individuals’ salaries as long as the people of the city are suffering in this jobless recovery. At least Kendrick, Roundtree, Bailey, and Doss have jobs. They ought to feel what a pay cut is like in these hard times.

Copenhaver had a chance to stand up and lead, but he meekly followed Russell’s tail covering.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/25/13 - 09:48 pm
Policy

The Augusta Commission needs to renounce this under the table policy that no supervisor can make less than his highest-paid subordinate. You can have a senior employee that has gotten dozens of merit raises supervised by a recent graduate supervisor, green behind the ears. It makes no sense to tie the newbie's salary to the grizzled senior, even if the newbie supervises the senior.

It must stop. It is absurd, and it leads to wages spiraling out of control.

Jake
Jake 02/25/13 - 11:05 pm
"In the Mood"

I did not see the show but have seen shows like it that perform 40's Big Band music along with dance. I love this kind of entertainment. A tribute to our military of the 40's is also inspiring as many of my generation had fathers who served in WWII. I am so glad that Augusta has this form of entertainment available.
Augusta has grown in many ways since I left in 1989. I used to have to ship a case of wine when I visited so I could provide family and friends with good bottles. Now there are wine stores that are very capable of providing virtually the same product and I don't have to hassle with shipping. There is a wine store in Evans that is going to help me pair wines with the menu for my son's wedding. I like to keep the money local in these ventures so as to help the economy while they provide me with a service that used not to be.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 02/26/13 - 05:47 am
A couple of years ago, I met

A couple of years ago, I met someone at a UGA function in Athens, that knew Copenhaver. He asked me what I thought of Copenhaver's performance and legacy as mayor of Augusta, and I told him. He responded that that was no surprise to him that Deke was always like that. So, now it's up to you to fill in what "always like that" means to you. Personally, I'm not impressed with the man, at all.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/26/13 - 06:06 am
Augusta To Take Big Economic Hit

Civilians at the Fort are to be furloughed a day a week starting in April.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/26/13 - 08:12 am
The Sky is Falling!!!!

Rather than buy into Obama's chicken little tyrade, why not just understand that it means none of the new programs will be funded. I think Obama needs to put away the credit cards till he can pay the debts with a budget, (yeah, we know that is not a nice word to democrats) ... Why is Obama out campaigning for new taxes when he's not managing what he was elected to do? Yes, Jimmy Carter, you are no longer the WORST President in history!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/26/13 - 08:34 am
The rant said..

Maybe the new guy from Waynesboro will be just what Richmond county needs......

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/26/13 - 08:35 am
Dr Ben Carson

I think he was right on the money too!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/26/13 - 08:39 am
Making fun of grammar

Now let me see, where have I heard THAT before....well I know....maybe they read this paper & listen to the R A D I O....maybe!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/26/13 - 08:59 am
Two Percent

Riverman's post about civilians as Fort Gordon is interesting. On the surface, furloughing someone one day out of five would be a twenty percent pay cut. The actual sequester cuts amount to around two percent of next years spending. So, we must presume that active duty military are receiving zero furlough days. It's their business how they spread around the new budget, but no one said the ones in charge had to do it the smart way.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/26/13 - 09:15 am
WHO IS SHERIFF in Columbia County? You never see Clay Whittle.

Sometimes the fact that you don't see a Sheriff is a good thing!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/26/13 - 09:36 am
Good Morning ............America

"You never see or HEAR much of Sherffi Clay Whittle."

Because

There is nothing bad to see or hear!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/26/13 - 10:08 am
Typical Democrat scare tactics

The sequester does not CUT a darned thing; it just reduces planned budget increases. Riddle me this; if someone was employed last year, why would they need to get furloughed this year when the budget is the same?

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/26/13 - 10:23 am
Jane

Check cnn tonight at 9pm...The Ducks should be on there....Jase & Si....they are in California......
Yes...Jase & I are friends .....he lets me play with his duck calls.....♥

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/26/13 - 10:26 am
Dang dang

I have to get busy....hair needs some frumping up.....nails need trimming....I need "sumthn" gonna find it this am ....:)

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/26/13 - 10:26 am
The Sky is Falling!!!! The Sky is Falling!!!! The Sky is Falling

The Sky is Falling!!!! The Sky is Falling!!!! The Sky is Falling

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/26/13 - 10:27 am
I have a duck call!!

I have a duck call!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/26/13 - 10:31 am
Weeelll

Coldbeer....ya want me to check it...just make sure it will call ducks?? lol
Ya funny ♥

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/26/13 - 10:43 am
I found my thrill....

vhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQQCPrwKzdo

Though we are apart.....you were my thrill......:)

seeyall.

Jane18
Jane18 02/26/13 - 12:03 pm
Jase and Si

Thanks seenit, I don't watch cnn, but I will tonight.................I want a duck caller too!

KSL
KSL 02/26/13 - 01:37 pm
@CBBP

It seems even Jimmy has problems with Obama.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/26/13 - 03:41 pm
It also seems Jimmuh is as

It also seems Jimmuh is as naieve as ever....., wanting to "talk" to people who see negotiation as a sucker play.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/26/13 - 04:39 pm
Alphonso Williams

If I fall asleep, someone wake me up before Sy and Jase are on CNN tonight.

On another subject, about Alphonso Williams being appointed Chief of the school safety officers in Richmond County, an interesting story is developing. Why would the Chief of Police of Waynesboro want that job? Was there a problem with an investigation in Waynesboro that the DA, Ashley Wright, had said should be turned over to her office? Did Williams not comply with that request?

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/26/13 - 05:49 pm
Mediterranean Diet works

A Mediterranean diet rich in fruits, vegetables, olive oil and a little wine can cut the risk of heart attacks and strokes by 30 percent, researchers reported on Monday in a study that shows the real-life benefits of a diet long encouraged by doctors.

The results were so startling that the study was cut short after less than five years, and the results rushed to publication in the New England Journal of Medicine.

“A Mediterranean diet supplemented with extra-virgin olive oil or nuts reduced the incidence of major cardiovascular events,” the researchers, led by Dr. Ramon Estruch of the Carlos III Health Institute in Barcelona, wrote.

The study was done in Spain, where people already supposedly eat the Mediterranean diet -- which is characterized by lots of salad, fruit, vegetables, nuts, a little fish, a little lean meat, a small amount of cheese and olive oil. Wine is also served at meals. But the 7,400 volunteers in the trial got extra counseling, and either a weekly supply of extra-virgin olive oil or mixed nuts.

Many studies have shown that people who eat a Mediterranean diet are less likely to die of heart disease.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 02/26/13 - 08:23 pm
Diets?

I eat anything with loads of preservatives -- the "you are what you eat" diet. Sometimes, I also consume the plastic wrappers. If I'm right, I'll be healthy and going strong several weeks after passing on. I drink nothing stronger than pop. Pop'd drink kerosene on a cold Maine night.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 02/26/13 - 08:26 pm
Wonder if The Obamessiah

... will unload on Jimmuh in his usual take no prisoners slander and libel campaign on divinity doubters. Or ignore the only president who makes him look good. It's a toss-up.

Augusta's ties to Liberia date back to 1836

Richmond County’s ties to West Africa date back to the 1830s, when plantation owner Richard Tubman wrote in his will that his slaves were to be offered freedom. More recently, Augustans have ...