Rants & Raves

A MAJOR RANT to the person who defended Charles Gorrell. Give me a break. What I do know is because of Charles Gorrell’s crime, he created the victim’s widow, the victim’s two surviving children and the victim’s future grandchildren. There is no justice for Charles Gorrell’s crime.

RAVES TO “In the Mood” at the Imperial Thea­ter on Valentine’s Day. The music was superb. What a treat to have this show come to our little corner of the world!

WE CAN STOP Social Security from being a pain any more. Give back every single penny that currently living people have paid into it. Just refund it in one check. Let people handle their own retirement, which is the only responsible way. Then the government will have to figure out other money to really “hand out” to those who don’t have money in it anyway.

RIDICULOUS THAT the career criminal got out 55 other times. Glad he is going to have to be in at least 12 more years. Maybe by then he will be too old to want to commit any crimes.

BIG RANT. What are stop signs for? Why are they even there if people never stop at them? I watch my camera pointed at the stop sign in front of my house or sitting outside, and out of 40 cars one stops.

A RAVE TO TWO employees at Kroger on Wrights­boro Road. They were so helpful and went above and beyond helping me with a Valentine gift for my granddaughter. Thanks so much, Lawrence and Simeon. Bless you both.

IN REGARD TO THE RANT about Charles Gorrell and his nephew Tim Grooms. First of all, I am appalled The Augusta Chronicle even posted this. Second of all, how dare you be so ignorant to submit a rant like this when you don’t know the facts? A family is suffering from the loss of a loved one. How can you be so disrespectful?

RANT FOR THE Rich­mond County Sheriff’s Department. Until you get out on Highway 56 and start writing some tickets, nothing is going to change.

SEE WHAT OBAMA is doing to us with Obama­care – forcing us to buy his insurance while taking money out of our pockets.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/24/13 - 07:01 pm
Why oh why does a band....

Why oh why is a marching band playing in a parking lot below Glenn Hills Elementary school evening after evening, ruining the supper hours and beyond for the nearby subdivisions? Can't we even get a break at the supper hours on Sunday evening? It's not only aggravating just to hear the drums and some days the brass, too, but it's causing our dogs to bark, too. Since they are indoor dogs, it is very irritating for them and for us, too!

Jake
Jake 02/24/13 - 11:52 pm
I love a parade!

What is wrong with marching band music at the dinner hour? At least the kids are doing something worthwhile by learning an instrument.
Put the mutts outside where they belong and you won't have to hear the barking.
As a cabinetmaker I have to go inside folks' homes to measure and the worst clients are the ones who have a dog that barks at everything you do. It is irritating to the ears to have to listen to their yelps while you are trying to do your job. The more astute clients will put their dogs away even before you get in the door but others will wait until you are inside and have your hand slobbered on and your crotch violated before they get the message that not everyone cares for your pooch.

countyman
20067
countyman 02/25/13 - 01:26 am
Never dream too little!

#8... The new precinct on Mike Padgett highway is now open.... The drivers will also have to slow down because of the upcoming construction.

Interesting facts below. It seems Metro Augusta(Richmond, Aiken, Columbia, Burke, and Mcduffie) is doing pretty good compared to peer cities. Imagine the possibilities if the Regency Mall property were redeveloped, Riverwalk was extended into East Augusta(recreation activities), the public transportation system expanded, new cameras/landscaping/sidewalk/bike lanes on all major roads, larger arena starting construction, performing arts center opened to the public, large urban park with waterfalls/bridges in the CBD, additional cops walking/biking in the urban core, attracting some type of riverfront and mix-use development in South Augusta, etc...

2008 to 2011 MSA GDP

Augusta 18,231 to 19,947= 1,716
Columbus 11,272 to 12,626= 1,354
Savannah 12,955 to 13,489= 534
Macon 7,726 to 7,882= 156

Greenville 25,329 to 27,200= 1,871
Charleston 27,108 to 28,902= 1,794
Augusta 18,231 to 19,947= 1,716
Columbia 30,924 to 32,203= 1,279
Chattanooga 20,690 to 21,659= 969

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/25/13 - 07:01 am
I'm looking forward to the

I'm looking forward to the waterfall and bridge downtown that Countyman is talking about. That should be something.

KSL
KSL 02/25/13 - 07:15 am
Where is the money coming

Where is the money coming from?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/25/13 - 07:19 am
" Imagine the possibilities

" Imagine the possibilities if the Regency Mall property were redeveloped, Riverwalk was extended into East Augusta(recreation activities), " Yes, Sir, just imagine the jump in the crime rate of muggings and rapes. That's putting the henhouse in the fox's den!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/25/13 - 08:41 am
Dream dream like countyman

Why can't yall just get with the program......dream of the waterfalls...bridges...a new Regency Mall....come on now..

There must be lights burning brighter somewhere
Got to be birds flying higher in a sky more blue
If I can dream of a better land
Where all my brothers walk hand in hand
Tell me why, oh why, oh why can't my dream come true
Oh why

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/25/13 - 08:51 am
Sean will be rich one day

I have seen his dog......he is sooo photogenic ....sooo cute.....one day he will make the man rich......then SM will go on to greener pastures...he will forget all about us...we will be left behind in other words....

Yes...I can see the dog winning at the Oscars....SM will probably take the Oscar though.....& give the speech too...we will just have to put up with him...I guess....
Some animals have personality...& some don't.....granmas dog Tom Dooley had personality......he could open the back screen door any ole time he wanted to....just couldn't reach the handle to get back in though....I thought about the dog Brian last night while watching the Oscars......that dog made HIM rich..

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/25/13 - 08:56 am
AC Website

Is anyone else having trouble with the AC site loading very slow?

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/25/13 - 08:58 am
Just for countyman

I believe in dreams too......it will happen one day....I dreamed that I bought the Regency Mall.....and many of my dreams come true....:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/25/13 - 09:02 am
Loading slow on here?

You must be flying high in the sky & the drag is pulling you back JTF...

about the same for me..

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/25/13 - 09:05 am
Not today

Feet on the ground. Really slow. Must be my issue.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/25/13 - 09:16 am
Marching Band

I normally agree with Autumn Leaves, but I had to give her a thumbs down today. Marching bands are dying institutions, and that is sad. If Glenn Hills has a functioning marching band, then hats off to them. Having students learn the discipline of being in a band is valuable education. Having them practice outside is so much better than sending them home to their video games.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/25/13 - 09:21 am
For this rant

I am so sorry for your loss...I knew Frances & she didn't deserve this sadness in her life....

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 02/25/13 - 09:30 am
What is this obsession about

What is this obsession about opening Riverwalk to East Boundary? If anything, barricades are in order.

Is Augusta's plan to tear down the government housing projects or rebuild them?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/25/13 - 09:32 am
Precinct Headquarters

Okay, so the sheriff's department moved their precinct headquarters from Southgate Shopping Center on Gordon Highway to a vacant building on Hwy. 56. So be it. How long will it be until Commissioner Bill Lockett and countyman start fuming about the vacant storefront left behind at Southgate? Will they demand that the city do something about it; as they have about Regency Mall property?

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/25/13 - 10:22 am
Windsor Spring

Fantastic article.....try to read this sweetson...:)

Jane18
Jane18 02/25/13 - 10:25 am
What? The "Ducks"

seenit, Wednesday night, 10:00 pm. I'll remind you again Wednesday morning.......................oh yeah, on the A&E channel!

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/25/13 - 10:28 am
"We can stop Security from

"We can stop Security from being a pain any more. Give back every single penny that currently living people have paid into it."

As long as you give it back to me with 40 years of compounded interest at the rate that prevailed during those years. I could use some Jimmy Carter 17% interest on my money.

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/25/13 - 10:54 am
countyman said....."Imagine

countyman said....."Imagine the possibilities................, attracting some type of riverfront and mix-use development in South Augusta, etc..."

South Augusta, notice he has a litany of projects to be funded with YOUR tax money....none of which are in your area.....but he has taken to the habit of tacking on to the end of his lists the phrase about all of this "attracting mix use" to South Augusta. Translated that means that he still wants to spend YOUR tax money downtown and in East Augusta and there is some remote possibility that it might improve things in South Augusta....but still NONE of YOUR TAX MONEY WILL BE SPENT IN YOUR AREA. What he fails to point out is that in order to redevelop most of these areas it will involve relocating people from the problem areas into South Augusta and South Richmond County under Section 8. It's a plan......they IMPORT YOUR MONEY and EXPORT THEIR CRIME and POVERTY. THAT is what mixed use means to them.

countyman, we've got 17 years experience in seeing what these grandiose plans "attract to South Augusta". It ain't prosperity and it ain't a rising quality of life. And we also have 17 year experience in seeing what all of these plans TAKE OUT of our area never to be seen again.....OUR TAX MONEY. So you can just quit tacking us on to the bottom of your lists with your "oh by the way it MIGHT help South Augusta". We've figured out that the tingle we felt the first time you did it was just somebody peeing on our leg.

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/25/13 - 10:56 am
SS

Heck Dich, I will take the money and run. Bird in the hand and all........

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/25/13 - 11:06 am
Dichotomy

The city of "South Augusta" would solve your problem.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/25/13 - 11:42 am
What's Going On

There was someone on Austin's show identified as one of the "highest ranking" people at the RCSO. Austin asked AB to verify that description and AB agreed. Did I hear that right? The voice was distorted that way that can be done. The person complained about the promotion of someone who had been reprimanded a couple of years ago under Sheriff Strength. Isn't this getting to be bizarre with ranking people in the RCSO going behind the Sheriff's back? Then we had Sylvia's column yesterday saying someone had complained about Roundtree's behavior on the bus at the Sheriff's convention. You mean to tell me someone from out of town on that bus actually called up Sylvia and complained? Of course we have Austin going off almost everyday about Roundtree for hours. Honestly, what's up with all this?

Sweet son
Sweet son 02/25/13 - 12:06 pm
@SeenitB4

I read the Windsor Spring article and Rob did an excellent job! Brings back memories of my grandmother too!

I can even remember Mrs. Kitchens mother Mrs. Nuite driving the old water truck down to the spring and filling and loading glass water jugs!!!

Thanks to the Kitchens' and the Land Trust for preserving this natural treasure and resource!

countyman
20067
countyman 02/25/13 - 12:47 pm
Seize the opportunity!

I forgot to mention Edgefield county is apart of metro Augusta too.

Riverman.. Check out the Falls Park development in Greenville(waterfalls & bridges).

ColdBeer & Williow Bailey... The city is already working alongside of the Savannah River Keeper to move their headquarters into East Augusta. The 11 acre property will include new recreation activities(beach, etc) for the public. The Underwood housing projects are gone, and the $30 million Walton Oaks development is open. Marion Homes is basically empty, and could easily be demolished too. The residents of Olde Town don't seem to have a problem living next to East Augusta.

KSL... The $100 million arts campaign is moving forward, and GRU can help fund the performing arts center. The approval of T-Splost will provide millions for the public transportation system. The latest splost had $3-4 million set aside for the lake at Regency Mall.

Dichotomy... I think you must first learn the difference between mixed-income, and mix-use.. A mixed income development includes regular citizens paying the normal rent, and then a small percentage going to residents paying less in rent. My comment stated the city needs should attract a mix-use development to South Augusta. A combination of residential, office, retail, etc in one pedestrian friendly area.

I clearly mentioned the Regency Mall area which belongs to South Augusta. Then I made sure to bring up attracting a riverfront and mix-use development to the area. I don't understand how you always manage to forget about the $20 million high school, $1 million Marshalls office, new tag office on Peach Orchard, millions in order to relocate Hyde Park residents, new precinct on Hwy 56, bus depot off Lumpkin rd, etc in South Augusta.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/25/13 - 01:34 pm
Countyman, that link with

Countyman, that link with the downtown park in Greenville is seriously nice. I'm not sure how you could do that here, though. Expand in from Riverwalk?

Tots
Tots 02/25/13 - 01:43 pm
Hi Countyman @11;47AM-

Forecasters say as much as 3.5 inches of rain could fall in parts of central and south Georgia.
The National Weather Service issued a flood watch covering much of the state. The watch is to be in effect from 7 a.m. today through Tuesday night.

Oh heck-that new bus depot on Lumpkin road is going to need a boat to get to those buses pretty soon...The water is still high on the ground from last week... What a joke!!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/25/13 - 03:24 pm
Waterfall Park

Why not build the waterfall park at the new detention pond in Hyde Park?

allhans
allhans 02/25/13 - 03:27 pm
Can we

Can we please...........demolish Regency Mall and start anew. Enough!!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/25/13 - 04:22 pm
Royal We

Ah, yes, the old “royal” we. The property belongs to a private company. Obama has not nationalized it yet. The property owner can demolish is, but “we” cannot.