Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Columbia County sheriff speaks against gun control

Columbia County Sheriff Clay Whittle spoke Thursday against any legislation that would threaten a citizen’s right to bear arms.

Back | Next
Columbia County Sheriff Clay Whittle speaks about the Second Amendment during the CSRA Republican Women's Club meeting at Logan's Roadhouse.  JON-MICHAEL SULLIVAN/STAFF
JON-MICHAEL SULLIVAN/STAFF

“The Second Amendment is not about hunting and it’s not about self-defense,” Whittle said. “If anybody tells you that, they’re wrong.”

Whittle told the crowd of about 50 men and women at a meeting of the CSRA Republican Women’s Club that America’s founding fathers added the Second Amendment to protect the county from a “tyrannical government,” after the American Revolution.

“They said, ‘We’re never going to do this again. Every citizen in this country needs to be armed in order to overthrow a tyrannical government,’ and that is your Second Amendment.”

The government, he said, creates an environment where murderers thrive when they take away peoples’ “God-given” right to arm themselves.

“When we created gun-free zones in our schools a lot of people thought that was good,” he said. “You know what, you put up signs that said come kill our kids. That’s exactly what we did when we created gun-free zones. I would rather put up a sign that says 12 teachers are armed.”

Whittle said he’s in favor of training school administrators and faculty members to handle guns, adding that it wouldn’t emotionally harm small pupils in a classroom.

“A bullet right across here,” said Whittle, motioning to his head, “will scar a child.”

Whittle said that he and others in law enforcement have no business knowing whether someone owns a gun and told the group they should never register their guns.

“If you’re a criminal, I’m going to get you anyway,” he said. “You’re going to do some criminal act and I’m going to come get you, but it’s not any of my business where you own one, or how many or what kind they are. That’s your right as a citizen of this country.”

Whittle urged the audience to contact legislators and stand against gun reform. He said now, more than ever, he fears for the future if guns were taken out of residents’ hands.

“There was a quote a few years ago about Hitler about how they passed common-sense gun legislation and the streets would be safer and all that kind of stuff,” Whittle said, “and they took everybody’s guns away and we got the Third Reich. If you give them up, we’re done for. I never really thought in my lifetime we would see the concern of having to do that, but it surely bothers me now.”

Comments (39)

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/22/13 - 05:28 am

Ditto!

My thoughts exactly. Sheriff Whittle gets it.

gatech1
gatech1 02/22/13 - 06:18 am

You have got to be kidding me

You think it is a good idea for teachers to armed? How can you be sure the guns don't accidentally get into the hands of the students? And think of the training you would have to give the teachers so that they don't accidentally shoot an innocent bystander (like the students). Arming teachers is just a tragedy waiting to happen.

TRex
TRex 02/22/13 - 07:18 am

Well said Whittle

You are exactly right about the second amendment!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/22/13 - 07:55 am

Right on Sheriff

Keep on talking...we are listening ....tell it to the masses..

Doug Duncan
Doug Duncan 02/22/13 - 08:41 am

Clay Whittle

Sheriff Clay Whittle's statements regarding the 2nd Amendment are spot on! We are very fortunate he leads law enforcement for Columbia County!

harley_52
19524
harley_52 02/22/13 - 08:47 am

Sheriff Whittle...

.....is "the man."*

* or "da man," depending on your preference.

virgilkane
virgilkane 02/22/13 - 09:19 am

Who wants to take your guns??

"No one wants to take away your hunting rifles. No one wants to take away your shotguns. No one wants to take away your revolvers, and no one wants to take away your automatic pistols, as long as said pistols hold no more than ten rounds. If you can't kill a home invader (or your wife, up in the middle of the night to get a snack from the fridge) with ten shots, you need to go back to the shooting range."
"How paranoid do you want to be? How many guns does it take to make you feel safe? And how do you simultaneously keep them loaded and close at hand, but still out of reach of your children or grandchildren? Are you sure you wouldn't do better with a really good burglar alarm? It's true you have to remember to set the thing before you go to bed, but think of this — if you happened to mistake your wife or live-in partner for a crazed drug addict, you couldn't shoot her with a burglar alarm."
Stephen King - a voice of reason

curly123053
curly123053 02/22/13 - 09:19 am

You rarely ever hear of shooting incidents involving law abiding citizens with firearms, unless they were defending themselves from a criminal attacker. The law abiding gun owners are NOT the problem with guns. Most of the shooting incidents involved criminals who got the guns illegally. Gun control will do nothing about stopping the gun toting criminals because they will ALWAYS find a way to be armed....Instead create a new law in Congress making it a federal offense for any felon to be in possession of any type of firearm. Make the penalties severe with no early release possible for convicts caught with a firearm, whether during the commission of a crime or not. Do not punish law abiding citizens who are responsibly carrying out their rights under the 2nd Amendment!

David Parker
David Parker 02/22/13 - 09:21 am

to protect the county from a

exactly, well, the rest of the country too but specifically Columbia County! Thanks Sheriff for putting yourself out there on this issue. It will not go unnoticed. 2A = freedom/liberty

historylover
historylover 02/22/13 - 09:27 am

Bad Quote

Clay Whittle should go back to school and re-study not only the Constitution but also the words of our founding fathers before he quotes them. Just sayin...

David Parker
David Parker 02/22/13 - 09:31 am

burglar alarm?

methinks a tyrannical government might not be as deterred by a loud noise, as having a gun-barrel pointed at their face. If that makes you feel safe though, good luck with that.

Frank I
Frank I 02/22/13 - 09:37 am

here here!!

I applaud you Sheriff Whittle for standing up for your citizens.. now if we could only hear the same from Sheriff Roundtree..

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/22/13 - 09:52 am

Huh?

I take it virgilkane disagrees with Sheriff Whittle.

Unfortunately, virgilkane did not respond to Sheriff Whittle's assertion that the issue is not about hunting and it's not about self defense. Virgilkane spend his entire post writing about self defense. Thus, virgilkane missed the point.

JRC2024
JRC2024 02/22/13 - 09:49 am

Curly I do agree with you and

Curly I do agree with you and Sheriff Whittle. Now if we can get the liberal politicians to agree to a law that would put the felons back in jail for gun possession.

john
john 02/22/13 - 09:53 am

Gatech1

You are right gatech, better not let one innocent bystander get hit, let the whole classroom get shot by the crazy. Much better outcome.

harley_52
19524
harley_52 02/22/13 - 10:04 am

"Clay Whittle should go back to school....

....and re-study not only the Constitution but also the words of our founding fathers before he quotes them."

I suspect he was paraphrasing, not quoting. Typically when one quotes in a speech they say something like "and I quote...". He didn't say any such thing, apparently, so I think the quotes are those of the author of the piece (Ms. Martin) and not the Sheriff.

Willow Bailey
20240
Willow Bailey 02/22/13 - 10:09 am

Clay Whittle sets a great

Clay Whittle sets a great example for law enforcement officers. He enforces the law, supports and trains his deputies and is available and respectful to the community. One of the many things that impresses me so much about Col.Co. deputies is how polite and respectful they are which is a result of being properly vetted and a leader that models and requires the same behavior.

Thank you Clay for all that you do for us. You and your officers are appreciated!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/22/13 - 10:30 am

Very Proud

of Sheriff Clay Whittle as most citizens of Columbia County. It will be very hard to replace him with a another sheriff of such qualities whenever the time comes.

Clay and I only have one dark cloud between us...."a gun" which I would never go public with it.

I have only one question to ask. How will he really handle when that monment arises that he and all sheriffs are given that Federal order...."You will confiscate all weapons in your counties."?

The handwritten on the wall indicates that it will happen.

Jake
Jake 02/22/13 - 11:05 am

Question

Is it mandatory in Georgia that you register your weapons?

David Parker
David Parker 02/22/13 - 11:41 am

no Jake. You have to fill

no Jake. You have to fill out paper work to buy it at the pawn shop but I don't think it amounts to a "registration". For example, my grandaddy's .22 was bequeathed to me and I don't believe there is any requirement for me to tell anyone. I could be wrong, in which case, there is no .22 and I am not David Parker.

question @ VirgilKane:

Do you like The Band, the song, or the message? The song points out the lament and sadness in the South after losing the War of Northern Aggression. It comes off ironical that someone favoring stronger/broader federal regulation would be a fan of that culture. Or maybe it's unrelated altogether. Jez askin. :)

harley_52
19524
harley_52 02/22/13 - 11:34 am

"Is it mandatory in Georgia that you register your weapons?"

Not as a matter of State law. There may be a community somewhere that has a local ordinance, but none that I'm aware of.

harley_52
19524
harley_52 02/22/13 - 11:41 am

" You have to fill out paper work to buy it at the pawn shop....

.... but I don't think it amounts to a "registration"."

That "paperwork" is what's commonly referred to as the "background check." It's federal law and a federal form. Some people believe that these "background Check" forms are ultimately intended to become a federal "gun registration" database. Currently the forms are collecting dust in a federal warehouse somewhere, with some being available on micro-fiche. These forms are not presently required for private sales (or transfers, like your granddaddy's .22) and that's what all the discussion about a "universal background check" is all about.

W.L.
W.L. 02/22/13 - 11:43 am

Reality check

@ Gatech, what do you suggest? Posting a cop in every room? Interesting that after 9-11 tons of folks thought it was a good idea to arm the pilots, using your theory, shouldn't we all be running around gnashing our teeth and wringing our hands with worry that they may shoot a passenger and that it's a tragedy waiting to happen? (As an aside, obama's utopian mentality shows thru again, as he has proposed cutting the training for armed pilots, since we with screening and locked cockpit doors we "have greatly lowered the chances of unauthorized cockpit access."

@ virgilkane, Yep, burglar alarms are great, and since the alarm company will call the cops, you don't need a gun... while you are at it, fire alarms are great too, and since the alarm company will call the fire department, I am sure you have already gotten rid of all your fire extinguishers!! BTW, per the BJS, police response times to violent crime, you have a 25% chance of getting a cop within 5 mins and a 32% chance of getting one between 6-11 minutes and a 30% chance to get one in 11 minutes to 1 hour... considering that the average for violent interaction only takes 90 seconds, even if you are one of the ones who gets one within 5 minutes, let me know how that remaining 3 and a half minutes work out for you while you are waiting. ;)

@ History, might take a trip back to school yourself... There is a difference between a "quote" and a "statement", by starting his remarks with "they said", he was making a statement not a quote. As such the statement was referring to their intentions. The additional advantage of going back to school would allow you to understand punctuation and the effect it has on a sentence. The comma placement in the 2nd is of importance here. Understand that at the time the founding fathers came from, it was not uncommon for governments, and others, such as lords barons, to use their armies to control the "peasants" and simple folk. They also understood the importance of maintaining a strong army as a deterrence to keep others out (look at the issues between England and France way back). The concerns they had (rightfully so if you look at whats going on today) is that a strong army could be used on their own peoples. Thus the wording of the second.. A well regulated Militia (well trained), being necessary to the security of a free State (deterrence), the right of the people to keep and bear Arms (protects people from their own govt), shall not be infringed (self explanatory). Spend some time with the writings from the founding fathers and see exactly what Hamilton and Madison among others had to say...

Jake
Jake 02/22/13 - 11:49 am

Thanks......

.......to those of you that answered my question. I found it hard to believe that Sheriff Whittle would advocate not registering a weapon if it was in fact the law.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 02/22/13 - 11:59 am

I'm not worried...

after all, the government is there to take care of us, right? (end sarcasm)

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/22/13 - 12:52 pm

"How will he really handle

"How will he really handle when that monment arises that he and all sheriffs are given that Federal order...."You will confiscate all weapons in your counties."?"

I strongly suspect if it came to "us" vs "them" Clay would side with "us".

BamaMan
BamaMan 02/22/13 - 01:37 pm

So Proud !

Okay, the Georgia Bulldawg is coming out of me...It's great...to be...a Columbia Countian, I said it's great... to be...a Columbia Countian... more than ever. Sheriff Whittle needs a pat on the back for sure, along with that raise, no complaints here. I love this county, I love this country. I do NOT however, like the way this country is going.

csrareader
csrareader 02/22/13 - 02:14 pm

"And how do you

"And how do you simultaneously keep them loaded and close at hand, but still out of reach of your children or grandchildren?"

Stephen King, or any other misinformed gun control advocate who makes similar statements, has obviously never heard of quick access gun safes, or if they have, they ignore that technology because it doesn't fit their agenda.

Willow Bailey
20240
Willow Bailey 02/22/13 - 02:48 pm

"And how do you

I'll tell you how my daddy did it... He showed it to me, took me to the firing range, demonstrated it, let me shoot it, took me home and let me help him clean it, then he reloaded it, showed me where he kept it, told me to never touch it without his permission.

He also told me EVERY SINGLE GUN is ALWAYS LOADED and SHOULD NEVER BE POINTED at anyone that I did not plan to kill.

I believed, I obeyed. I still do. My child does.

Darby
19112
Darby 02/22/13 - 03:08 pm

"How can you be sure the guns don't accidentally....

get into the hands of the students?"

You're kidding, right?? The kids are going to assault the teacher and remove his concealed weapon, or what? I'm trying to visualize a scenario here. Help me out.

And just how likely is your suggested outcome compared with say, Sandy Hook to happen??? Don't believe you put a lot of thought into that one.