Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

IN RESPONSE TO Columbia County’s trashy yards, you had an enforcement officer, but for some reason they fired him while he was trying to do his job.

THE RICHMOND COUNTY Sheriff’ Office has a double standard on Gordon Highway. They go 70-80 mph going nowhere, but if you go five miles over the speed limit they give you a ticket.

THANKS TO FIRST Baptist Church of North Augusta for holding the great concert: The South Carolina Singing Churchmen and the Georgia Sons of Jubal. What a night of worship. Such wonderful music. God’s holy spirit was in that place.

THE WORST THING from any people who work in food establishments is people who smoke. Do not smoke one hour before going to work and at no time during working hours. You smell like cigarettes.

AUGUSTA IS THE GOLF capital of the world with the Masters Tournament. What a shame we can’t have a decent public golf course for the rank and file and everybody in Augusta. What a tragedy.

FINALLY, WE HAVE A study that confirms that fried chicken, salty ham and sweet tea could make someone more likely to have a stroke.

THE ANSWERS TO THE WordWarp is at the bottom of the puzzle, but the print is so small that I have to use a magnifying glass and even then I sometimes have trouble reading it. It would be an improvement if the answers were larger and clearer.

PARENTS MUST BE HELD responsible for leaving guns unattended without a gun lock or in a secure gun safe. If the parents are not at home, then they do not need the gun to be ready for self-defense. How many more children must we lose before common sense takes control of mindless parents?

VIGILANCE IS THE PRICE our citizens must pay for having the most free, independent government on Earth. We must be aware at all times of our liberties and guard them zealously. They are our most precious possessions, our richest heritage.

WE MUST DO something drastic to prevent trucks hitting the railroad overpass on Olive Road. My suggestion is that any guilty party be required to display a sign with the following “I am an idiot. I ran into the bridge” and let the person stand there for three days adjacent to the bridge.

Jake
Jake 02/21/13 - 04:32 pm
Fishing

Good fishing story seenit. I long for the cane pole days of yesteryear.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/13 - 04:43 pm
Thanks jake

Me too...

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/13 - 05:18 pm
We should listen to ole Thomas

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."
-- Thomas Jefferson

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 02/21/13 - 05:38 pm
B4 - you're hurting me

As are the commissioners - the very idea!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/21/13 - 06:10 pm
Sarge

has been moved to Rm 527, tel # (706) 651-5527.

He is very weak due to no food consumption in a week, Good News is they have the blood infection almost under control, the Chemo will be out of his system in 1 or 2 more days allowing him to feel much better. If everything continues in the good mode, he may be home the first part of next week. Hospice will be taking care of him at his home because his Precious is just not able to handle his care.
Prayers and support is still needed.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 02/21/13 - 06:33 pm
Sarge

I don't know you - but you are in my thoughts and prayers. I have learned that two people I know where on the plane that crashed in Thomson.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/21/13 - 08:19 pm
SeenitB4

There are warning signs and lights all over the place for that Olive Road overpass. One "Lady" hit one of the poles with the warnings on it! A witness even claimed she slowed down and aimed at it. She got off with a slap on the wrist. The woman's a menace. No amount of signs make up for impaired or inattentive driving or whatever in the world was on that woman's mind.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/21/13 - 08:24 pm
Reading comprehension....

I can only guess that the thumbs down buttons were clicked on my 3:05 and my 3:09 because the persons have trouble comprehending the post. There is absolutely no reason anyone would give it a thumbs down unless they want to speed in any lane they please. The passing lane is for passing and for emergency vehicles. Even passing, you are supposed to be going the speed limit. People in the right lane, going the speed limit, should not be tailgated. Just because the majority of people speed doesn't make it right for you to do it. Maybe if you would get off the cell phone you'd see the speed limit signs. Or don't you want to?

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/21/13 - 08:39 pm
Mistaken about Greeneway bicycle and pedestrian rules:

A few days ago, people were posting the wrong information about the rules for pedestrians and bicyclists at the Greeneway in North Augusta, SC Riverview Park. Please read the kiosk notices at the main entrance for the Greeneway, and for that matter, any other recreational area you visit. The rules are not always the same. As I posted on a previous day: Humble Angela and Little Lamb: The kiosk at the entrance to the Greeneway path at Riverview Park clearly spells out the rules for pedestrians and bicyclists. I believe it says that pedestrians are to move to the right (if they aren't already there as they should be) and bicyclists are to call out "Left!" as the bicyclists approach from behind and the bicyclist then passes on the left. This may not be the general rule for other properties, but it is the rule for that park. Please read rules particular to each park; they are posted for your safety.

harley_52
harley_52 02/21/13 - 08:57 pm
"There is absolutely no reason anyone....

....would give it a thumbs down unless they want to speed in any lane they please. "

I wonder....if you give someone a thumbs up (or down) do you increase your own points?

I'm not suggesting you do this by any means, but I think the points system has a lot to do with how people assign thumbs.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/23/13 - 08:32 pm
harley_52

Thanks for trying to help, harley_52, I've been wondering what those points are for and how people get them or if they should want to. I've glanced around the sight and haven't found an explanation. Anyone know?

ccres
ccres 03/03/13 - 06:44 pm
"Even passing, you are

"Even passing, you are supposed to be going the speed limit. People in the right lane, going the speed limit, should not be tailgated. Just because the majority of people speed doesn't make it right for you to do it."

Here's the thing...you and others like you don't get to police me. I like to drive fast in the left lane. If you don't, simply move over. I'll be happy to take correction from law enforcement but NOT from a self-declared Barney Fife.

Missouri wins SEC East, knocks Georgia out of running

COLUMBIA, Mo. - Marcus Murphy scored the go-ahead touchdown on a 12-yard run with 4:38 remaining and Markus Golden recovered a fumble to seal No. 17 Missouri's 21-14 victory Friday against ...