Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

IN RESPONSE TO Columbia County’s trashy yards, you had an enforcement officer, but for some reason they fired him while he was trying to do his job.

THE RICHMOND COUNTY Sheriff’ Office has a double standard on Gordon Highway. They go 70-80 mph going nowhere, but if you go five miles over the speed limit they give you a ticket.

THANKS TO FIRST Baptist Church of North Augusta for holding the great concert: The South Carolina Singing Churchmen and the Georgia Sons of Jubal. What a night of worship. Such wonderful music. God’s holy spirit was in that place.

THE WORST THING from any people who work in food establishments is people who smoke. Do not smoke one hour before going to work and at no time during working hours. You smell like cigarettes.

AUGUSTA IS THE GOLF capital of the world with the Masters Tournament. What a shame we can’t have a decent public golf course for the rank and file and everybody in Augusta. What a tragedy.

FINALLY, WE HAVE A study that confirms that fried chicken, salty ham and sweet tea could make someone more likely to have a stroke.

THE ANSWERS TO THE WordWarp is at the bottom of the puzzle, but the print is so small that I have to use a magnifying glass and even then I sometimes have trouble reading it. It would be an improvement if the answers were larger and clearer.

PARENTS MUST BE HELD responsible for leaving guns unattended without a gun lock or in a secure gun safe. If the parents are not at home, then they do not need the gun to be ready for self-defense. How many more children must we lose before common sense takes control of mindless parents?

VIGILANCE IS THE PRICE our citizens must pay for having the most free, independent government on Earth. We must be aware at all times of our liberties and guard them zealously. They are our most precious possessions, our richest heritage.

WE MUST DO something drastic to prevent trucks hitting the railroad overpass on Olive Road. My suggestion is that any guilty party be required to display a sign with the following “I am an idiot. I ran into the bridge” and let the person stand there for three days adjacent to the bridge.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 02/21/13 - 10:43 am
Good Morning Lilly. You have

Good Morning Lilly. You have to wonder a little; bored, grudge, lonely, playful? It's funny because you know by the comment, it's not really the comment that is the intended purpose. Perhaps they are enjoying the negative attention they receive. At least we know, the ACS knows their identity.

triscuit
triscuit 02/21/13 - 10:43 am
The Patch could break even or

The Patch could break even or even make a little money, and BE that place that anyone could go learn the game or play a game. IF, and its a big IF, the management did NOT allow people to play for FREE. It happens and everyone knows it and who is playing free. When you want a golf course that anyone in town can show up and play and eat/drink free because of their "buddies", that's another story. This place has been rife with mismanagement for eons. Hopefully some that played there and are now playing Forest Hills can get "their" course back, because the manners and golf etiquette they bring to FH are, well, non-existent. It's not a color/class thing, there are rude jerks white and black, rich/poor..if you want to play golf, learn the rules.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 02/21/13 - 10:43 am
Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/21/13 - 10:51 am
Homeland Civilian Targets

Thanks for the link, DStewart. It's sad and scary that Homeland Security officers and even military personnel are being trained to shoot Americans on American soil.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/21/13 - 10:55 am
Speeding on Gordon

Ranter #2 talks about the speeding deputies “going nowhere.” Actually, most of the speeding deputies are headed to Southgate for their shift roll call. They're just running a little late.

dichotomy
31990
dichotomy 02/21/13 - 11:05 am
My stink, your stink.

"You smell like cigarettes"

And my guess is you stink of perfume and makeup made from dead animal oils and carcinogenic petroleum products.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 02/21/13 - 11:08 am
Speaking of targets

... if you go to most (not 90%- I've seen how that sets posters off!) civilian ranges, they allow only silhouette targets; photos of people being shot at makes the proprietors nervous in the case of public shootings being laid at their doors. But the (not our) government can do whatever they please.

Jake
Jake 02/21/13 - 11:12 am
Golf

justthefacts & triscuit have stated well what I think about golf and the Patch. I am looking forward to being in the CSRA again in early April for my son's wedding and also to play golf.
You see and learn a lot of things on the golf course. Take hitting into a sand trap for instance. First reaction is usually dismay or anger. Then you have to walk into the mess you created and try to get yourself out of it. Sometimes it takes a couple or more tries but eventually you get out. Then you have to clean up after your mess by raking the trap. Not everyone cleans up after themselves and they leave the mess for you to clean up. Entitlement crowd.

dichotomy
31990
dichotomy 02/21/13 - 11:18 am
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts........

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts.........come on now. All the speeding cops I've seen on the Gordon Hwy and Doug Bernard Pkwy were headed TOWARD the jail.....mostly in the mornings and afternoons......around shift change time.

Like the old SAIC of the Secret Service office up in Columbia told me once......."ain't no use in being the POlice if you can't drive like you want to".

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/21/13 - 11:58 am
Sand trap

Jake, the key is to open the club face as wide as possible and swing hard with your eyes closed.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 02/21/13 - 12:04 pm
JTF

You're as bad as B4 :) - I love that we all have connections w/Augusta - my girlfriends and I loved downtown and everywhere else - I dated a very rich boy in those parts - but he was too rich for my blood

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/21/13 - 12:07 pm
Too Rich??

Never met a girl like that.....unfortunately.

Jake
Jake 02/21/13 - 12:12 pm
Traps

I will remember that, lol.

Sweet son
Sweet son 02/21/13 - 12:33 pm
Hey Seenit!

I bet you fished in a farm pond with crickets and red wigglers. Also bet you were beside yourself when you caught a bream about as big as two fingers.!!! Now that sort of fun was in my childhood! And if we got tired of fishing we just took our shirts off and went swimming in the pond!

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 02/21/13 - 12:36 pm
Wrong-another brother JTF

So Jake, you're surfacing again? Where are you? We're trying to be nice on here - and I party too much!!

soitgoes
soitgoes 02/21/13 - 02:13 pm
speed limits

are not for the deputies to follow, only enforce arbitrarily. And so it goes...

soitgoes
soitgoes 02/21/13 - 02:13 pm
BTW

People, turn signals are NOT OPTIONAL. Use them, please!!

soitgoes
soitgoes 02/21/13 - 02:15 pm
They should turn the Patch over to

the same group that runs Forest Hills. Seems they have the "formula" down right. Currently re-doing their parking lot, and the course is in great shape.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/21/13 - 02:21 pm
It's not the management company.

Instead, the golfers at Forest Hills pay to play.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/21/13 - 02:23 pm
Commissioner Guilfoyle

Commissioner Wayne Guilfoyle had it right. The other day the Chronicle quoted him saying that 500 people play golf at the Patch. 99,000 Augusta taxpayers pay for it.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/21/13 - 04:05 pm
Difficult.

It wears me out trying to go the speed limit on east bound Bobby Jones in the 45 mile an hour zone between Deans Bridge Road and Peach Orchard Road, because semis and other vehicles ride my bumper until they switch to the passing lane, usually without blinkers. BUT Where does the speed resume to 55 and why did they put the 45 mph sign farther off the road than they normally put the normal (55 mph) signs? I realize there has been a lot of construction there lately, did they temporarily remove the resume 55 sign?

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/21/13 - 04:09 pm
Martintown Road.

Another place it is difficult to go the speed limit without people tailgating is Martintown Road in North Augusta, SC; but today was the third time that someone that was speeding up behind me until he was riding my bumper, then making an improper (no blinker) lane change to the passing lane, has attracted the attention of an oncoming traffic officer, who has immediately put on his lights, turned around at the next intersection and pulled the driver over. I'm not sorry that justice is served, even if the guilty only get inconvenienced with a warning. There should be some consequence for law-breakers and I appreciate the police making the effort.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/13 - 04:25 pm
Brier Creek fishing hole

My granmama & her sisters took the younguns (me &sis) fishing at the creek outside of Waynesboro....we would travel down a dusty ole road with cane poles & dogs & fish bait.(worms from her back porch doorstep) Her dog was named Tom Dooley...he would always jumped out of the car window at the moment she stopped the ole chevy car....then Esaw (Aunt Annies dog) would jump out next.....we didn't want them to jump but they were just so happy to go they couldn't control themselves.....my ganmama & her sisters could squat on the banks & throw a fish line across that ole creek.....
They had a few beverages with them (beer) & they smoked Luckys & chesterfield cigs....you might say we had a whopping good time with them...dogs did too.....cause when we went back home they cooked up the best fish/hushpuppies you could ever want to eat....

The best days of life were spent with these women....lordy lordy....

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/13 - 04:28 pm
For sweetson...Brier Creek...

Brier Creek itself is a riverine watercourse traversing much of eastern Georgia between the Ogeechee River and the Savannah River. It arises between Warrenton in Warren County and Thomson in McDuffie County in the lower portion of the Piedmont. The upper portion of the creek is surrounded by open pit kaolin mines as it passes through the fall line. From there it enters the upper coastal plain and courses down past towns like Wrens and Waynesboro before joining the Savannah River in eastern Screven County near Sylvania. This waterway has a length of approximately 80 miles (130 kilometers). In many places along the length of its course it is 30 to 50 feet (9 to 16 meters) in width. Near its mouth it is sometimes as broad as 80 feet (25 meters). Much of the lowest portion of the creek is bordered by the Tuckahoe Wildlife Management Area, which contains a significant portion of the battlefield.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/13 - 04:46 pm
Briar or Brier Creek which is it

CCold beer would know this.....how many creeks .....in WBO

kmb413
kmb413 02/21/13 - 04:51 pm
Perfumes and Colognes

I have been to restaurants where people have on too much perfume and cologne. I couldn't eat, it gave me a headache. Don't put on perfume or cologne an hour before work or while working. :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/13 - 04:56 pm
Thanks...you know who :):)

VALENTINE'S LOVE POEM

Collards is green
my dog's name is Blue
and I'm so lucky to have
a sweet thang like you.

Yore hair is like cornsilk
a-flapping in the breeze
Softer than Blue's
and without all them fleas.

You move like the bass,
which excite me in May.
You ain't got no scales
but I luv you anyway.

Yo're as satisfy'n as okry
jist a-fry'n in the pan.
Yo're as fragrant as "snuff"
right out of the can.

You have som'a yore teeth,
for which I am proud;
I hold my head high
when we're in a crowd.

On special occasions,
when you shave under yore arms,
well, I'm in hawg heaven,
and awed by yore charms.

Still them fellers at work,
they all want to know,
what I did to deserve
such a purdy, young doe.

Like a good roll of duct tape
yo're there fer yore man,
to patch up life's troubles
and fix what you can.

Yo're as cute as a junebug
a-buzzin' overhead.
You ain't mean like those far ants
I found in my bed.

Cut from the best cloth
like a plaid flannel shirt,
you spark up my life
more than a fresh load of dirt.

When you hold me real tight
like a padded gunrack,
my life is complete;
Ain't nuttin' I lack.

Yore complexion, it's perfection,
like the best vinyl sidin'.
despite all the years,
yore age, it keeps hidin'.

Me 'n' you's like a Moon Pie
with a RC cold drank,
we go together
like a skunk goes with stank.

Some men, they buy chocolate
for Valentine's Day;
They git it at Wal-Mart,
it's romantic that way.

Some men git roses
on that special day
from the cooler at Kroger.
"That's impressive," I say.

Some men buy fine diamonds
from a flea market booth.
"Diamonds are forever,"
they explain, suave and couth.

But for this man, honey, these won't do.
Cause yo're too special, you sweet thang you.
I got you a gift, without taste nor odor,
more useful than diamonds...
IT'S A NEW TROLLIN' MOTOR!!

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 02/21/13 - 05:07 pm
Wishful thinking joke for the day:

A cow is ambling across the road when a limo comes around the curve and hits it full-on. Nancy , in her usual charming manner, barks at the chauffeur, "You get out and check--you were driving." The chauffeur gets out, checks, and reports that "the animal is dead ... but that it was old."

"You were driving, so you go and tell the farmer," orders Nancy.

Two hours later the chauffeur returns - totally plastered, hair ruffled, with a big grin on his face. "My God! what happened to you?" asks Nancy. The chauffeur replies, "When I got there, the farmer opened his best bottle of malt whiskey, the wife gave me a slap-up meal, and the daughter made love to me."

"What on EARTH did you say?" asks Nancy.

"I just knocked on the door, and when it opened I said to them, "I'm Nancy Pelosi's limo driver and I've just killed the old cow."

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/21/13 - 05:17 pm
Former Mayor Bob Young spared no words

Former Mayor Bob Young spared no words in slamming those Augusta Commissioners who want to do business with the city. He said it would be "stupid" to allow Commissioners and other city employees to do business with the city. Bob Young said it was beneath him to even discuss the issue. Most of us commenting more or less said the same thing. Grady was out to lunch with that idea. Stupid.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/13 - 05:22 pm
haha

Just a Tap on the Shoulder ...

A passenger in a taxi leaned over to ask the driver a question and
gently tapped him on the shoulder to get his attention. The driver screamed,
lost control of the cab, nearly hit a bus, drove up over the curb and stopped
just inches from a large plate glass window.

For a few moments everything was silent in the cab. Then, the still
shaking driver said, 'Are you OK? I'm so sorry, but you scared the
daylights out of me.
'The badly shaken passenger apologized to the driver and said, 'I didn't
realize that a mere tap on the shoulder would startle you so badly.'

The driver replied, 'No, no, I'm the one who is sorry, it's entirely my
fault. Today is my very first day driving a cab. I've been driving a
hearse for the past 25