Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

IN RESPONSE TO Columbia County’s trashy yards, you had an enforcement officer, but for some reason they fired him while he was trying to do his job.

THANKS TO FIRST Baptist Church of North Augusta for holding the great concert: The South Carolina Singing Churchmen and the Georgia Sons of Jubal. What a night of worship. Such wonderful music. God’s holy spirit was in that place.

THE WORST THING from any people who work in food establishments is people who smoke. Do not smoke one hour before going to work and at no time during working hours. You smell like cigarettes.

AUGUSTA IS THE GOLF capital of the world with the Masters Tournament. What a shame we can’t have a decent public golf course for the rank and file and everybody in Augusta. What a tragedy.

FINALLY, WE HAVE A study that confirms that fried chicken, salty ham and sweet tea could make someone more likely to have a stroke.

THE ANSWERS TO THE WordWarp is at the bottom of the puzzle, but the print is so small that I have to use a magnifying glass and even then I sometimes have trouble reading it. It would be an improvement if the answers were larger and clearer.

PARENTS MUST BE HELD responsible for leaving guns unattended without a gun lock or in a secure gun safe. If the parents are not at home, then they do not need the gun to be ready for self-defense. How many more children must we lose before common sense takes control of mindless parents?

VIGILANCE IS THE PRICE our citizens must pay for having the most free, independent government on Earth. We must be aware at all times of our liberties and guard them zealously. They are our most precious possessions, our richest heritage.

WE MUST DO something drastic to prevent trucks hitting the railroad overpass on Olive Road. My suggestion is that any guilty party be required to display a sign with the following “I am an idiot. I ran into the bridge” and let the person stand there for three days adjacent to the bridge.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 02/21/13 - 04:21 am
Gun in the house

While I was growing up I was taught by my parents not to touch the guns. Same thing I taught my kids. They are now adults with their own children. That's three generations with no gun accidents. I have to wonder why none of the guns harmed anybody. It couldn't have been the parenting could it?

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/21/13 - 05:01 am
Columbia County Code Enforcement Guy

The fired Columbia County Code Enforcement guy was more interested in how the inside of single women's houses looked than trashy yards. His actions will cost Columbia County in the lawsuit enough to hire a few Code workers.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/21/13 - 05:04 am
If you play golf and can't

If you play golf and can't pay enough so a course can be self-supporting maybe your time would be better spent in other activities to increase your income.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 02/21/13 - 06:22 am
Outlaw private planes

And do it now. We just had a private plane kill five people.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/21/13 - 06:34 am
"THE RICHMOND COUNTY Sheriff’

"THE RICHMOND COUNTY Sheriff’ Office has a double standard on Gordon Highway. They go 70-80 mph going nowhere, but if you go five miles over the speed limit they give you a ticket."
If you understood anything about Law Enforcement operations you may understand that you don't always run lights and sirens to robbery alarms, bank alarms, burglary in progress and many other calls. This enables the Officer to arrive on the scene without letting the person committing the crime know he's there and thus more criminals get caught this way. So, the next time you're dawdling along in the left lane, texting and talking on your cell phone at 45 mph and wondering why that vehicle behind you is tailgating you, it just may be that officer in an unmarked car responding to an emergency and you may be the cause of someone losing property, suffering an injury or death at the hands of a criminal because you are exercising your imagined right to drive in the left lane slow while you chat or text!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/21/13 - 07:32 am
Good Morning R&R America

CBBP. Now that is a Good Morning Menu for so many Ranting uninformed citizens, but I'm not sure many would like digesting it.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/21/13 - 07:38 am
@4

Do not smoke one hour before going to work and at no time during working hours.

The next freedom bill to be introduced into congress real soon. The power of one person speaking just like many of the others that have been voted on!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/21/13 - 07:42 am
First Rant

I think RM covered that real will.

By the way, how many trashy yards have you encountered and where?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/21/13 - 07:47 am
Little GA Gun News

Dear George,

The politicians at the Capitol in Atlanta are back at it again . . .

. . . this time, scheming to give themselves special firearm carrying privileges not afforded to you.

As some of you may have seen during Monday's hearing on HB 28 and 29, State Rep. Calvin Hill led things off by announcing he would soon introduce a bill to give his fellow legislators privileges to carry firearms in places that you cannot.

Despite verbal grumbling and opposition from gun rights supporters in the audience, Mr. Hill continued on with little questioning from members of the committee.

Little did gun owners know that the Committee Chairman, State Rep. Alan Powell and Vice Chair, State Rep. Darlene Taylor, had signed on as supporters of Rep. Hill's bill!

Political arrogance is alive and well at the Capitol and they need to hear your OPPOSITION.

Please email AND call State Representatives Hill, Powell and Taylor.

Politely but firmly tell them you are OPPOSED to HB 394, Mr. Hill's Special Privileges for Legislators Bill, and that you will be watching their actions related to this legislation.

Rep. Powell: alan.powell@house.ga.gov
Rep. Taylor: darlene.taylor@house.ga.gov
Rep. Hill: calvin.hill@house.ga.gov

Rep. Powell: 404-463-3793
Rep. Taylor: 404-656-0178
Rep. Hill: 404-656-7855

Please take action at once.

For freedom,

D.R. Leonard
Political Director

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/21/13 - 07:52 am
And Our Educating One Liner For The Day Is:

I know a guy who's addicted to brake fluid. He says he can stop anytime.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/13 - 07:59 am
My rave for Augusta

Many moons ago (it seems that way) I worked in the Greene St area....at that time we had a beautiful median full of huge azaleas...I mean HUGE...big purple-- glorious ---at least 5ft to 6 ft tall....no joke....I loved the springtime in Augusta.....still do...sometimes I would drive family-friends all over the flower laden hills of Augusta.....the beauty would take my breath away....dogwoods--azaleas--tea olives--tulips..
Give yourself a treat this spring & make a tour through some famous streets of Augusta ...you won't be sorry...
Put your window down so you can enjoy the fragrance too...

Good am CSRA!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/21/13 - 08:06 am
B4,

I also saw the beauty of Augusta for the first time in 1974 when returning from Okinawa. At that time, I don't remember hearing the type of news that I hear today.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/13 - 08:06 am
The rant says

This has been going on since I can remember....put a dang warning bar over the road that would flash when the truck is too tall or deepened the road.....I remember 2 employees from Gracewood (man/woman) crashing into that bridge....many joked that they didn't have their mind on business.....hah

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/21/13 - 08:59 am
The Patch

Golf is a great sport and like most sports teachs a myriad of quality traits that carry on through life. Honesty, intergrity, fair play to name a few. In how many sports do the participates call the penalities on themselves? Having said that, it shouldn't be just a rich man's game. The Patch, under proper control, could operate at break even. It might not be the most pristine course around, but that will not matter to a 6 yr old kid carrying his bag down #1 about to learn that golf, like life, isn't always fair. I wish Augusta could find a way to preserve this.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/13 - 08:16 am
Peach Orchard was a 2 lane road

Hah....Telling my age here....I walked barefoot down Peach Orchard Rd........many roads then were just dirt.....open fields all around...we really had corn-peaches-pigs--chickens....crazy mean roosters too....I drove a dang tractor too cgee....

Some things I would like to bring back...no can do...it isn't just Augusta that's changing...the whole dang world has changed......now I know what my grandparents meant when they said..."Back in my day...things were so much better"...now we say that..hahah

Let's just go fishing cgee....too much for us to worry about!

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/21/13 - 08:25 am
Seenit

Did you see where Mr Paulos of Paulos Cleaners died the other day (94). Gave me first job delivering dry cleaning. Mostly to soldiers.

zeenab4u
zeenab4u 02/21/13 - 08:31 am
To countyman

Hooray for you. You put Austin where he belongs, on defense. I laughed all the way home from work yesterday hearing him whine about you. Calling you a chump and other things. He really showed his maturity. He is goating you to call his show. Don't do it. That's where he hides behind his microphone and attacks those who don't agree with his views. He won't let you talk if you call. He will attack you on the air and cut you off when you try to give your point of view. Keep up the good work - that is - getting Austin to whine, whine, whine over the public airways.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/13 - 08:33 am
jtf

No...I didn't see that......ripe ole age he was...

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/13 - 08:34 am
From the mountains of Ga

Thanks ...news from my kin...

I AM SO PROUD OF TOWNS COUNTY AND UNION COUNTY SHERIFFS IT WAS IN THE PAPER TODAY THAT THEY WOULD PROTECT OUR SECOND AMENDENT AND HAVE A DUTY TO REFUSE ANY UNCONSTITUTIONAL ORDER FROM THE STATE OR FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/21/13 - 08:38 am
Olive Road

The best thing to do about the Olive Road railroad overpass is to fill in the opening under the tracks with concrete, thus closing Olive Road. There are alternative streets for traffic, such as Kissingbower.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 02/21/13 - 08:39 am
Go Countyman

B4 - I saw the same sites, we even walked to Lock&Dam (sites weren't pretty until we got there and we didn't have bottled water) Ya'll remember Robert Moody who was charged w/murdering his son? The charges have been dropped - bet he's mad at the (sorry Harley) RC cops.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/13 - 08:50 am
Lilly

My parents had a bunch of kids so our outing on the weekends would consist of the Lock&Dam.....airport....& riding through the countryside.....we usually would end up at a Dairy Queen near the Skyview Drive in...sometimes we would visit kin in SC....all around Hampton-Varnville-Estill......Yemassee....I can still remember their sweet slang.....I loved it....so southern.....the closer you get to the ocean ..the deeper the sweet slow southern voice....Scarlett & Rhett type yaknow.....
ok I'll stop going back in time on here...yahear....got some things to check anyway....:)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/21/13 - 09:02 am
Waiting????

Would like to see Raintree's response on the 2nd?

BamaMan
BamaMan 02/21/13 - 09:13 am
LOL

I'm really enjoying these one-liners! Keep them coming! :)

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 02/21/13 - 09:15 am
Hey Willow

The troll followed us into the R/R's last nite

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 02/21/13 - 09:29 am
"... enforcement officer

... they fired him ... trying to do his job."

No, they fired a perv who stepped out of his role as an inspector and became a home invader. Pity it was not one of my lady friends; the county would not be facing an expensive lawsuit. A pine box and backhoe would be so much cheaper.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/21/13 - 09:36 am
Good Morning TSD

I was getting worried there for a moment.......

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 02/21/13 - 09:40 am
The double standard for police

... versus civilians will not be resolved for some time. I've seen a cop write a ticket on post for talking on a cell phone, then pull into traffic almost causing an accident because he was typing on the on-board computer. I cannot count the number of times I have personally --not I was told-- been passed at very high speeds, usually without any other signal than a brake light by both RC and CC police only to see them at a drive through window.

My advice: get over it; what used to be our police are slowly, or maybe not so slowly, morphing into an "occupying army" attitude, and peasants need to keep ourselves subservient.