Augusta boy, 2, dies from fire injuries

Boy's father was robber shot, killed by Superior Court judge

Jon-Michael Sullivan/ Staff
Firefighters at the scene Feb. 10 of a fire on Carr Street.
Sunday, Feb. 17, 2013 12:24 PM
Last updated Monday, Feb. 18, 2013 12:40 AM
  • Follow Metro

John Thompson’s short life began in misfortune and ended in tragedy.

John Thompson, 2, died of injuries from a Feb. 10 house fire in Harrisburg.
John Thompson, 2, died of injuries from a Feb. 10 house fire in Harrisburg.

The 2-year-old, who was pulled from a burning house in Harrisburg Feb. 10, was pronounced dead Saturday after physicians determined the child had no brain activity, family members said.

He was pronounced dead at 2:51 p.m. at Children’s Hospital of Georgia, according to Richmond County Deputy Coroner Johnny McDonald.

The boy’s 21-year-old mother, Lateia Thompson, said she had decided to let her son be an organ donor. Funeral plans were on hold until after that process had been completed. She said the decision was difficult, but she wanted some good to come from her son’s death.

“I wanted to be able to save a baby or two if I could,” said Thompson, who was waiting with a group of family members at the hospital Saturday afternoon. “I know if it was the reverse situation, I would want someone to help my baby.”

Her son was born on a chilly day in January 2011. By then his father, John E. Howard Jr., had been dead almost six months, she said.

She had met Howard in August 2009. She was 17 and he was 19. A year later, Thompson was facing pregnancy alone. Howard was shot Aug. 20, 2010, by Superior Court Judge Carlisle Overstreet during an early morning burglary at the judge’s home on Cumming Road.

Thompson said she knows Howard had a criminal record, but he was also working two jobs and taking college courses at the time of his death. She had hoped he could get his life in order.

“He did everything for me,” she said. “I wondered, how am I going to do it without him?”

She also wondered what she would say to her son when he was old enough to understand. She wishes that was still her greatest worry.

Even without his father in the picture, Thompson said, Howard’s family was still connected to his life. He was even learning to speak some Spanish from his paternal grandmother, who is Panamanian, she said.

Thompson said she struggled as a single mother living in public housing for a while until she was taken into the Harrisburg home of Sandra Cato last year. She has been dating Cato’s grandson, Michael Rowell, and was working part time, doing customer service and taking courses at the University of Phoenix, she said.

Thompson said most days she would work and go to school while her son stayed with a baby sitter across the street.

Evenings were a regular ritual of eating, “watching SpongeBob a million times” and a bath.

“I would sing him his bedtime songs,” she said, which included the Sura Al-Fatiha, the opening verse of the Quran. “Then he would put his teddy bear to sleep and he would go to sleep.”

Thompson said Feb. 10 had been a day of relaxation and play for the family. They spent some time at the park and with neighbors in the Harrisburg neighborhood before eating and watching a Batman movie at home. They had to go out at 7:45 p.m. to take her boyfriend to his mother’s place of work, she said. They would have ordinarily taken John along, but she said the boy was already asleep.

“That was the first time he fell asleep that early,” she said.

Rather than waking a sleeping baby, they left the boy in the front bedroom and asked a Cato relative, Bill Herrin, to keep an eye on him.

“He said, ‘Leave my door open and I’ll listen for him,’ ” Thompson said.

The group, which included Thompson, Rowell and Sandra Cato, was gone a little more than 30 minutes and was on the way back when Cato got a call that the house was on fire.

Thompson said they turned the corner onto Carr Street and saw the blaze. She jumped out to look for her son.

“John wasn’t outside. He was in the house,” she said. “I tried to go in but somebody stopped me.”

Thompson said she watched as firefighters broke their way into the bedroom through a window and pulled her little boy out of the billowing black smoke. He was handed to another firefighter and rushed to an ambulance.

“I saw John’s lifeless body,” she said. “That is something I never, ever wanted to see.”

The official cause of death was lack of oxygen to the brain and smoke inhalation. He also suffered second-degree burns to his face, arms and legs, McDonald said.

He said Richmond County fire investigators are still working to complete their investigation into the fatal blaze. Family and fire officials agree, however, the fire appeared to have started on the kitchen stove where someone had been cooking with hot oil.

C.A. Reid Sr. Memorial Funeral Home will be handling arrangements, according to family friend James Cato. A funeral date had not been set Sunday evening.

“A family member has donated a plot because the mother doesn’t have any money,” Cato said.

Family members said anyone who would like to help with the costs of the funeral can contact the funeral home.

Thompson said the past week has been a blur of hospital visits, talking with authorities and trying to come to grips with what has happened to her son.

“All of this doesn’t seem real,” she said, in a calm, almost cheerful, tone. She has been trying not to cry because of something her mother, Lateia Hyman, told her when she was younger.

“She always said that when someone dies, if you cry over them it tortures their soul,” she said. “John didn’t like to see me hurting. I don’t want to cause him any more pain.”

Comments (27) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
JDi Nola
JDi Nola 02/20/13 - 11:14 am
R.I.P. to our beloved Nephew

I write this comment because I recently was informed of the death on my nephew. I am currently deployed in Afghanistan and when I received word of the tragic events that occurred, my heart dropped out of my chest. You see, John John or J.J. as we called was born from misfortune, for you see I am John Howard Jr.'s uncle. We know that everyone has their own path in this life, but Jr.'s wasnt completely written just yet (not to mention John Howard had the same misfortune of having his father pass away before he was born also)...I was tough on Jr. and promised him that I would beat the ever-loving crap out of him if he didnt straighten up, and with that mutual respect, he conceaded to get his life together and join the military by bettering himself by working hard and going back to school...and at the time of his death, I was his recruiter. And the comments of Judge Overstreet, we (Jr.'s family do not lay blame on him; he did what we would have done - defend himself.
With J.J. - Jr.'s entire family was willing to go out of their to see that this little boy would have the best that this world could offer and not to mention to help and assist Tia.
So despite of this tragic story, The paternal family of John E. Howard Jr. would like to thank everyone for your sympathy and kind condolences for both Tia and John.
RIP in little one, play with the angels and may you be in the arms of your father and grandfather.

Back to Top
Search Augusta jobs
Top headlines
Hyde Park activist not pleased with city buyout offer
Charles Utley, who fought to get Augusta to address contamination concerns in the Hyde Park community, now is questioning the city's offer of $90,500 for his four rental properties there.