Weather

More News | Local Forecast | DATABASE: Historic Weather Data

Meteorologists say Augusta has chance of flurries Saturday

Friday, Feb. 15, 2013 7:59 AM
Last updated 10:06 PM

Meteorologists said Au­gus­ta has a slim chance of snow flurries beginning this afternoon, with no accumulation expected.

The possibility of snow is the result of a vigorous upper-level disturbance that will sweep from the Great Plains to the Augusta area.

Meteorologists said winter weather is one of the hardest types to forecast, especially in the Southeast, where temperatures and precipitation have to align perfectly.

Even though moisture appears to be limited with the system, there is the possibility of a rain-snow mix because of strong upper-level dynamics, according to a National Weather Service bulletin.

The Augusta area will see a high in the upper 40s and winds from 12-17 miles per hour. Temperatures will continue to drop throughout the day to a low in the mid-20s.

Normal temperatures for Augusta this time of year are highs near 61 and lows near 31.

Meteorologist Tenia Morrison said any mix in Augusta should be mostly rain. Any snow is expected to melt quickly because of warm ground temperatures.

National Weather Service models are predicting a slight chance of rain showers before 3 p.m., scattered sprinkles between 3-5 p.m. and flurries after 5 p.m.

The threat will end by this evening as the disturbance moves eastward.

The high will increase only slightly to about 50 degrees Sunday. By Monday, temperatures will be back in the 60s, Morrison said.

SPARKSTER83
SPARKSTER83 02/15/13 - 09:19 am
YEAH HOPE IT REALLY HAPPENS..

YEAH HOPE IT REALLY HAPPENS.. SAW THE BIG SNOW IN 1973 I WAS TEN YEARS OLD WOULD LOVE TO SEE THAT AGAIN.

SPARKSTER83
SPARKSTER83 02/15/13 - 09:19 am
GOTTA GET THE MILK GOTTA GET

GOTTA GET THE MILK GOTTA GET THE EGGS AND THE BREAD LOL!!!

I'm Back Again
I'm Back Again 02/15/13 - 09:44 am
When they say flurries with

When they say flurries with no accumulation, that mens 3-6 inches every time. Only a weatherman can get his job wrong 90% of the time, and still have it.

bdouglas
bdouglas 02/15/13 - 09:57 am
OH MY! HIDE YOUR KIDS; HIDE

OH MY! HIDE YOUR KIDS; HIDE YOUR WIVES!! Should I go buy milk, eggs and bread now? Bet the grocery stores are busy tonight...

concercitizen
concercitizen 02/15/13 - 10:00 am
Well, at least there will be

Well, at least there will be no school!

my.voice
my.voice 02/15/13 - 12:31 pm
@bdouglas.........when i was

@bdouglas.........when i was in high school, ANY threat of weather created a run on the essentials. I always just chuckled at the customers. I mean, any snow we get is gone in 24 hours, what are you stocking up for? And of course, when we do get snow, everyone thinks they know how to drive in it and that they SHOULD drive in it. Stay home! LOL

I do hope we get some snow however.

livepura
livepura 02/15/13 - 12:45 pm
Same Forcast Another Day

Isn't this what the meteorogist said in 1973 as well???

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 02/15/13 - 01:13 pm
@bdouglas

Don't forget the toilet paper and the bottled water!!

bdouglas
bdouglas 02/15/13 - 02:45 pm
I remember when I was in high

I remember when I was in high school and they cancelled school here the day after MLK day because it was only 18 degrees that morning. I think the high was like 36 that day. Kinda ridiculous. I grew up in Illinois, so snow doesn't bother me, but it is a nice treat down here. And driving in it doesn't bother me. I find that more people just refuse to go out if there's snow down here. The real problem down here are the brainiacs who either drive 20 mph in the rain or still do 80 in it...and there are plenty of 'em!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 02/15/13 - 03:09 pm
I never quite figured out

I never quite figured out why, if one thought they might be snowbound for a long time, why are they stocking up on perishables?

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 02/15/13 - 03:17 pm
I remember going to the store

I remember going to the store right before a snow storm a couple years back. I saw a man holler to his buddy that he was ready now- he had 5 packs of hotdogs, nothing else, no buns,chips,bottled water, candles,etc.
I hope it doesn't snow, I'm ready for some sunshine.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/15/13 - 03:53 pm
I'm with you on that Angela.

I'm with you on that Angela. The only snow I ever recall that brought things to a crawl for a few days was the one in '73. People are just too funny, a flake of snow is impending starvation!

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 02/15/13 - 04:31 pm
The sleet-snow storm in January 1988 lasted a while

It started on Tuesday, January 5th. Even MCG sent everybody home by noon that day. It was a mess for days, even stopping travel to Augusta from Savannah the following weekend.

I remember this very well. My significant other and I tied the knot on January 16, 1988. The bride's luncheon had to be cancelled because out-of-town relatives couldn't make it into Augusta Saturday the 11th, and, ignoring the incredulous stares, relatives from New York sunbathed outside their accommodations despite patches of snow on the ground around them the Sunday after the wedding.

Those Yankees were not going to be cheated out of getting some tanning time in during their midwinter visit to the Deep South. The rest of us froze our keisters off inside Holy Trinity Catholic Church and tried not to break something on the icy sidewalks.

gargoyle
gargoyle 02/15/13 - 04:54 pm
Forget the bread and milk I'm

Forget the bread and milk I'm getting Beer and Penuts,They keep longer.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 02/15/13 - 05:08 pm
Hey Gargoyle..

not to mention they generate heat! (At least when you consume them together....) Not sure it's worth the smell though....heh heh

KSL
KSL 02/15/13 - 05:11 pm
Gar

And just as nutritious, by the way.

KSL
KSL 02/15/13 - 05:13 pm
That is twice today this

That is twice today this tablet has caused me a double post.

KSL
KSL 02/15/13 - 05:45 pm
I want my peanuts boiled,

I want my peanuts boiled, though. I have never been able to swallow roasted peanuts in any form. My sweet husband introduced me to boiled green peanuts after we were married. Just one of the good things he introduced me to.

KSL
KSL 02/15/13 - 06:10 pm
Fond memories

Of another poster who posted continually about boiled peanuts and the porch.

bumblebeerose
bumblebeerose 02/16/13 - 06:36 am
Can someone tell me

Can someone tell me why the thumbs down on these post. This is just fun talk about the snow how it affects the south?

You guys are right the first flakes and the stores are full of people buying food it is like no more trucks will bring deliveries to this area.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/16/13 - 09:03 am
TSDs

TSDs = Individual Haters (not comments)

Authorities to target impaired drivers during holiday

Authorities in Georgia and South Carolina are teaming up this weekend to target impaired drivers and protect the 1.2 million motorists in the two states who plan to travel in what AAA projects ...